What Does the Confederate Flag Mean To You ?

It did not represent slavery. It represented people with a cause.

The cause being to form a nation founded on the notion that blacks are inferior to whites.
Slavery wasn't the reason the civil war was fought,it was part,but a small one.

No. It was the only reason.
please read the declarations of secesssion from several states who outline quite clearly that it is in fact entirely about slavery.

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States
What matters is what it means now. The Nazi's took a good symbol and turned it evil we can take an evil symbol and turn it good. What it means now is power to the State. Shooting a bird at the US and telling them Hell No We won't conform to your ideal! What matters is now not the ancient past.

Ancient past?

Let's not forget why it was put atop the SC statehouse in the first place. It was placed there in retaliation for desegregation. In part it was probably a big FU to the Fed but also as a reminder to black folks who was still in charge.

No, most people don't see it as a positive at all. They see it as a symbol of subjugation and repression. If it wasn't the CW it was the policies of Jim Crow and as icing on the cake, white supremacy. I suspect even a good amount of Repubs secretly agree but never had a tenable political opportunity to do anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised to see how the Repub governors of both SC and MS stepped up without political regard and did the right thing.

Before all this faux outrage from the left, it meant very little. I guess I saw it as a flag of the old south.

Now I see it as a way to make liberals soil their panties. I just might have to get one.

No. In 2000 this issue was revisited in SC. It was still a non starter for Repubs but a compromise was reached. The compromise was the removal of the flag atop the statehouse to a position on the front lawn of the statehouse colocated with a confederate memorial. In return there was a memorial to African Americans placed in the back of the statehouse. Some things never change.
Still a big FU to black folks and still a quite clear message of who was still in charge.

FALSE. It did represent slavery. It was the flag of the Confederacy, which had slavery included in its Constitution.
But this does not take away from the honor and tribute to Confederate soldiers that the flag also means, as well as # 3 & # 4 items listed in the OP.
The "Stars and Bars" flag was a battle flag showing you were ready to attack. The "Confederate flag has the stars in a circle showing a union.

So the "Stars and Bars" means to me someone is fed up with something.

No. The Stars and Bars refers to this:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/u/us-csa7.gif
THAT is the flag OF Confederation.
us-csa7.gif

The circle represents the UNION of states.

It doesn't matter what flag the confederates flew or when it was flown. They were all flown in the defense of slavery.
The stars and stripes represent slavery too. Our illustrious founding fathers created a slave republic, better tear down the US flag as well, all kinds of atrocities have been committed in the name of that flag.

The cause being to form a nation founded on the notion that blacks are inferior to whites.

please read the declarations of secesssion from several states who outline quite clearly that it is in fact entirely about slavery.

What matters is what it means now. The Nazi's took a good symbol and turned it evil we can take an evil symbol and turn it good. What it means now is power to the State. Shooting a bird at the US and telling them Hell No We won't conform to your ideal! What matters is now not the ancient past.

Ancient past?

Let's not forget why it was put atop the SC statehouse in the first place. It was placed there in retaliation for desegregation. In part it was probably a big FU to the Fed but also as a reminder to black folks who was still in charge.

No, most people don't see it as a positive at all. They see it as a symbol of subjugation and repression. If it wasn't the CW it was the policies of Jim Crow and as icing on the cake, white supremacy. I suspect even a good amount of Repubs secretly agree but never had a tenable political opportunity to do anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised to see how the Repub governors of both SC and MS stepped up without political regard and did the right thing.

You think? I don't think most people give it much thought at all. Whenever I see it, I associate it with the south and that is all.

Ancient past?

You think? I don't think most people give it much thought at all. Whenever I see it, I associate it with the south and that is all.

Given the information I just provided, I would hope your opinion may change.

FALSE. It did represent slavery. It was the flag of the Confederacy, which had slavery included in its Constitution.
But this does not take away from the honor and tribute to Confederate soldiers that the flag also means, as well as # 3 & # 4 items listed in the OP.
The "Stars and Bars" flag was a battle flag showing you were ready to attack. The "Confederate flag has the stars in a circle showing a union.

us-csa7.gif

It doesn't matter what flag the confederates flew or when it was flown. They were all flown in the defense of slavery.
The stars and stripes represent slavery too. Our illustrious founding fathers created a slave republic, better tear down the US flag as well, all kinds of atrocities have been committed in the name of that flag.

Yeah, not really the same thing.
Your response seems all too familiar though. There are those calling for an end to all marriage after the recent ruling. It seems your kind want to blow it all up rather than deal with reality.

us-csa7.gif

Your response seems all too familiar though. There are those calling for an end to all marriage after the recent ruling. It seems your kind want to blow it all up rather than deal with reality.
It seems to me more like chickenshit liberals and brain dead conservatives are both well satisfied with a symbolic victory; that way they can avoid directly addressing problems of racism and violence in this country.

Ancient past?

Why would your opinions change mine about the flag. I am quite sure that most people in the south associate it with their heritage and not with slavery.

Ancient past?

Agree. Being raised in California, all the Confederate Flag causes me to think about is history and Southern Fried Rock.

It wasn't a problem until the left made it one..............
Now they have ensured a fight over it...........

Their purpose...............IGNITE RACIAL HATRED...........

us-csa7.gif

It seems to me more like chickenshit liberals and brain dead conservatives are both well satisfied with a symbolic victory; that way they can avoid directly addressing problems of racism and violence in this country.

Or maybe they can start addressing them together.

Ancient past?

Why would your opinions change mine about the flag. I am quite sure that most people in the south associate it with their heritage and not with slavery.

Opinions?
I gave you the stated reasons why the southern states seceeded. The very reasons they chose to fight the war. There is no other interpretation. People in the south know this full well. As should you.

Ancient past?

Agree. Being raised in California, all the Confederate Flag causes me to think about is history and Southern Fried Rock.

Not surprising.
What " history" do you think of that doesn't include what I offered?

Last edited:

Ancient past?

Opinions?
I gave you the stated reasons why the southern states seceeded. The very reasons they chose to fight the war. There is no other interpretation. People in the south know this full well. As should you.

FYI, I have friends from the south and we have had this conversation. Do try to remember that regardless of whether or not you agree with what happened in ancient history, their ancestors fought and died under that flag, and that is a little more important than your feigned hurt feelings I think.

Ancient past?

Opinions?

FYI, I have friends from the south and we have had this conversation. Do try to remember that regardless of whether or not you agree with what happened in ancient history, their ancestors fought and died under that flag, and that is a little more important than your feigned hurt feelings I think.

Ancient history?
My great grandfather was born during the war. My father's grandfather, a man my father knew. Not as long ago as you might think.

Yes, the south had ancestors in the war. We all did. The difference is the south fought to preserve slavery.They fought for the idea that white folks were superior to blacks and had a right to subjugate them for their own gain. Now you can pretend that was not the case but it was. I presented the very reasons for the war wherein this is apparent. I don't feign any outrage, it's very real.

Opinions?

Ancient history?
My great grandfather was born during the war. My father's grandfather, a man my father knew. Not as long ago as you might think.

Yes, the south had ancestors in the war. We all did. The difference is the south fought to preserve slavery.They fought for the idea that white folks were superior to blacks and had a right to subjugate them for their own gain. Now you can pretend that was not the case but it was. I presented the very reasons for the war wherein this is apparent. I don't feign any outrage, it's very real.

So what? The US has fought some questionable laws, as have every other country on earth. None are free of atrocities. The flag stands for more than slavery for most people in the south. There was more to their way of life than just slavery.

Depends what you mean by represent.

1) In a political sense, it represented armed insurrectionists/rebels who fought bravely/naively for their own nation-state.
2) In a social sense, it represented groups of slaveholders and Southerners, who feared that their status quo with slavery and other issues was threatened.
3) In an economic sense, it represented the exploitation of slaves* and treated Blacks as property. Hense they wanted compensation for 'loss of property' if they were required to give up their slaves.

*Though states that remained in the union, continued slavery throughout the war, so it is difficult to claim that the union was not guilty in part of the same charge.

The majority of white southerners didn't own slaves. But stay stuck on stupid.
But the majority of White Southerners decided, with sound mind and body, to commit treason against their country.

Southerners didn't think the government had the right to tell them how to live, and most still don't. Unlike morons like you that need to be told what to think, us southerners like doing for ourselves.

Yeah, and that's called treason, when you act on it.

Only in your delusional world.
You are the deluded one. No one is calling the North traitors.

That's on par with your intelligence.

Opinions?

Ancient history?

So what? The US has fought some questionable laws, as have every other country on earth. None are free of atrocities. The flag stands for more than slavery for most people in the south. There was more to their way of life than just slavery.

"The flag stands for more than slavery for most white people in the south."

Modified your quote for accuracy. I'm not going to change any minds, only lay out the case for my thoughts on the matter. If some of what I present sinks in for some and begins a deeper thought process on the issue than good, if not then oh well.

If you haven't seen the President's eulogy I recommend you watch it. He speaks to many subjects including this. My hope is that some will find a deeper understanding.

Ancient past?

Not surprising.
What " history" do you think of that doesn't include what I offered?

I don't answer sneering "have you quit beating your wife" types of insinuating questions.

Forum List

Back