🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What Happened to Church?

I left "church" along time ago. It's better to be alone with one's own thoughts. If one has any thoughts about believing in Jesus, go Quaker.

Sitting around, mulling over your own "wisdom" with no fresh input from anywhere else, explains a great deal about why you have so little of interest to offer discussions.

Church is for losers, next time you go, just look around.

yapyapyapf.gif

I have to say that when one ends up at a gathering where the "chemistry" feels so off, it is very obvious to the "seeker" whether it is a church, a religious group, a social event, a date, etc...Stay true to your instincts and keep searching for what feels good and right.

I have to say that when one ends up at a gathering where the "chemistry" feels so off, it is very obvious to the "seeker" whether it is a church, a religious group, a social event, a date, etc...Stay true to your instincts and keep searching for what feels good and right.

Pretty sure a mega-church that looks and feels more like a shopping mall than a house of worship is not going to work for me, on a profound level. And fog machines are completely out of the question.

I've found another church that I want to try. They at least appear to have proper Sunday services, going by the schedule on their bulletin.

Oh, and if they have nary an altar in sight in the sanctuary, I think I'm outta there.

Keep looking Cecile. You'll find your church. It seems like it's extra hard when you leave a church you really liked. Hang in there.

I'm torn. On the one hand, you obviously want a church that feeds your spiritual needs; on the other hand, you want to avoid what CS Lewis said about "church shopping":

"Surely you know that if a man can’t be cured of churchgoing, the next best thing is to send him all over the neighbourhood looking for the church that ‘suits’ him until he becomes a taster or connoisseur of churches.... the search for a ‘suitable’ church makes the man a critic where the Enemy wants him to be a pupil."

I'm going to attend other churches, because hey, new city. It's just important to keep in mind that what matters most is that the teaching is right with God.

I'm just wondering how you get away from this modern, performance-based, "mega-church" mentality. Even the smaller churches seem to have adopted it.

Unfortunately, it's one of the ways the Church has adopted the ways of the world. Community used to be important, and the Church service was a way to keep close contact with fellow believers, to encourage and strengthen each other. That way, if someone was in trouble or needed help, their Church community was not only the first on the scene but brought real help.

That's not how it's done in modern America. In modern America, you don't know your neighbors, you don't know the people you worship with, and you CERTAINLY never make yourself vulnerable to anyone. If you need help, you call a government bureaucracy before you talk to your Church family. Trouble is more of an embarrassment then an opportunity for service.

Last edited:
How much did they hit you up for that?

Churches don't "hit up". They pass an offering plate, you contribute or you don't, and you're still welcome to attend whether you give or not.

If you attended church, you'd know that.
I went to church as a youngin'. They pass the plate around, as everyone gives you the eye to see what you're dropping in. What did you give? What's the going rate today?

Today most giving is done online, and no one's looking over your shoulder.

Sparkles, you are in no position whatsoever to denigrate anyone else as a loser.
But c'mon, a room full of people who think that an invisible sky daddy made a woman out of a man's rib? What would you call them?

Beyond any judgement from the likes of you.
So you believe that a woman was made out of a man's rib?

I sorta miss church. But....its too much drama now. Once upon a time, one could just walk in to any church to sit in solitude and converse privately with God...but nowadays, the church is locked up tight and the preacher lives across town in a fancy condo. Or has a huge house behind the church with even more huge gates to protect his fancy cars.

I have found more peace out in the woods near the creek...or at the beach. Alone. Than in a church.

Not all congregations are like that. I think you need to find a small one. They can't afford to pay outrageous salaries.

I sorta miss church. But....its too much drama now. Once upon a time, one could just walk in to any church to sit in solitude and converse privately with God...but nowadays, the church is locked up tight and the preacher lives across town in a fancy condo. Or has a huge house behind the church with even more huge gates to protect his fancy cars.

I have found more peace out in the woods near the creek...or at the beach. Alone. Than in a church.

Not all congregations are like that. I think you need to find a small one. They can't afford to pay outrageous salaries.
Ya, go find some broke ass church with a broke ass pimp trying to get more people.

Uhhhh, that's kind of the point. Everyone hurts, and everyone is a loser in their own way. Our church has three rules:

1. No perfect people allowed.
2. No one stands alone.
2. Everyone's story matters.

I guess that leaves you out.

Yeah. Shame it's got that way. I'm from the sticks myself. Church for us was usually just everybody came to someone's yard, had a picnic and sang old hyms on Sunday. Then they usually baptized in the river there where it settled in a pool. Uncle Carl was always drunk, but he could play Peace In The Valley with that jug of his pretty good.

I dunno. I think maybe what youre talking about in your experience here is just reflective of a new generation.

I went to a new church for the first time this morning (because I moved to a new city a few months back, and now I need to find a new church home), and I have to say I don't feel even remotely sufficiently churched.

Maybe I'm just really old-fashioned. I grew up in the same two churches throughout my life; in fact, my husband and I were married in one of them. They were both good-sized, but neither was a "mega-church", and it was not only possible to know everyone in the church, it was impossible NOT to. The services took upwards of two hours from start to finish, and they happened three times a week. When the service ended, there were often people still praying at the altars (this church doesn't even HAVE altars), and it took at least another hour for people to get done talking and interacting and head out the doors. The song service was inclusive; the entire congregation worshipping God through music together.

This service was over in an hour; the song service was the "worship team" - basically a music group - giving a performance with lights and videos on screens and a FOG MACHINE, for crying out loud. It was a lot more like going to a concert than anything interactive. Everyone was out the door in about fifteen minutes, the pastors (they apparently have a huge heirarchy of them) were nowhere in sight, and there was no effort made to even identify new attendees, much less meet them and make them feel welcome. The sermon was still on-point in the Word of God, and they don't seem to have edited out the "icky" parts so many churches do - y'know, references to the Crucifixion, blood, death, Hell, all that uncomfortable stuff - but I have to wonder how you're supposed to learn and grow and connect with the Christian community and draw closer to God when an hour a week of listening to other people perform is all the effort you put into it.

Last edited:

That works for cultural things. IOW, I like the music, the seats are comfortable, everyone around me looks like me, and the guy behind me isn't spewing garlic into the air, but God isn't always about our comfort.

At a point in our Christian growth, we move from "what's in it for me" to "what can I bring to the table for others". Ministry isn't solely the responsibility of the leadership. In fact, more ministry can and should be done be the congregation.

Uhhhh, that's kind of the point. Everyone hurts, and everyone is a loser in their own way. Our church has three rules:

1. No perfect people allowed.
2. No one stands alone.
2. Everyone's story matters.

I guess that leaves you out.
Ya but not only are you losers in life, you then get together to believe in a fantasy world. How does mass delusion help?

Forum List

Back