What human cost is acceptable in controling illegal immigration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they would do 5 or 6 lawns per week just like we all did growing up
Maybe you never grew up
Plenty of kids from all neighborhoods cutting grass and willing to do it again even with detractors like you spilling your crap

I would hire a professional lawn service that knew what it was doing, and not some kid who'd miss half the spots and then I'd have to go out and do it myself the right way.
You have never mowed a lawn. It’s the easiest thing on earth to do. You are a typical liberal who has no experience with what they are taking about yet are willing and eager to criticize it or say it can’t be done.

What we don't need is more illegal immigrants that live in the shadows. They can not assimilate and contribute to economy in the way legal immigrants can.----------It doesn't take much brain power to realize that there is a tremendous financial strain that has been placed and continues to be placed on the average working class citizen of the United States by all this illegal immigration. It hits the nations working people in the pocketbook. That cost burden is placed on them/us without approval or consideration. What are we as a nation paying for in the amounts of millions and billions of dollars in order to accommodate illegal aliens?: WE in the USA are paying for: food, housing, utilities, transportation, workers at adult and child holding centers, teachers, lawyers, judges, border patrol, ICE, military and other airline flights to return people, border vehicles and gasoline, government agencies, communications with religious organizations that provide help and housing here, international efforts to help these people in their own countries, medical, etc, etc. There is a staggering cost to the Average citizen and the nation is recovering economically and has a debt. Blame the drug trade and weak ineffective governments. --View attachment 204088 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree, we need to stop illegal immigration. Building walls and apprehensions at the border are not going to do it because the number attempting to cross our boarders are decreasing while Visa overstays are increasing. Last year set a 17 year record low in illegal entries. As economies in Mexico, Central, and South America continue to improve and demand for low cost labor increases, the number of illegal crossing will continue falling. However the number of Visa overstays are increasing and we have no effective means of controlling it.

Here is what we should do to solve our illegal immigration problem.

• First, and most important develop a system for determining who is overstaying there Visa. Currently, ICE has no way of knowing who is in the country with an expired visa.
  • Second, ICE needs to know where Visa holders reside.
  • H1-B, and H2B visas need to be increased dramatically. We need more STEM workers and we need more temporary seasonal workers.
  • We need to increase quotas and at same time become much more selective.
  • We need to encourage immigration from countries that aren't filling their current quotas such in Northern Europe through advertising and incentive programs.
  • We need to clean up our student visa program. We need to make it easier for STEM graduates to work in the US. However, we also need to limit the amount of time a student is allowed stay in the US pursuing a degree. Under the current law students can stay in US as long as it takes to complete their course of study. That allows students to remain in the US indefinitely by changing majors reducing course loads etc.
  • We need to crack down hard on employers hiring undocumented immigrants. All employers should be required to use E-Verify and the system needs to be updated so it shows recent activity.
  • We need to create a path to Citizenship for selected undocumented immigrants.

Last edited:
main-qimg-e77039ca49c7b2e820fee0bdba13d5b3.jpg

H1-B, and H2B visas need to be increased dramatically. We need more STEM workers and we need more temporary workers.We need to increase quotas and at same time become much more selective.
The only thing that I disagree with these findings (in yellow) and with your arguments Flop is that to me the right to immigrate to the United States should not be based on someone's IQ or type of skills or higher levels of formal education. I am for Latin American migrants and other migrants to have a pathways to legal citizenship based on the unique qualities that they already have such as hard physical work, special outlooks on culture, society, and spirituality. etc. I do not think we need to mold our legal immigration allowanced into a funnel for corporate achievement. I admire the Latino efforts in the arts (music, dance, film, writing,etc.), church, agriculture, hospitality industry, construction and landscaping industries, native indigenous earth wisdom, etc. It is a narrow idea of life to expect all our immigrants to be engineers, doctors and lawyers, etc. We do not need to expect that any immigrant falls into a stereotype of what we think of their cultures- Asians can be housekeepers and Latinos can be doctors for instance...IT NEEDS TO ALL BE LEGAL except for real serious border crossing Asylum seekers. I do think that renewing an effort to combat the cartels and terrorists in the world will help more immigration become legal in the future as well.

Last edited:
We need to create a path to Citizenship for selected undocumented immigrants.
That is what the temporary protected status was for many of these Central Americans for many years. This is ending as the offer of TPS is going to other groups now so that they can have their turn such as people from China, Africa, Cuba, Venezuela, etc.

Here in AZ we use e-verify a lot unless it is a shady business catering to illegals. Arizona went to the Supreme court on immigration and profiling issues and it was a win some (E-verify) and lose some (profiling) decision. (We need to crack down hard on employers hiring undocumented immigrants. All employers should be required to use E-Verify and the system needs to updated so it shows recent activity.-QUOTE)

H1-B, and H2B visas need to be increased dramatically. We need more STEM workers and we need more temporary workers.We need to increase quotas and at same time become much more selective.
The only thing that I disagree with these findings (in yellow) and with your arguments Flop is that to me the right to immigrate to the United States should not be based on someone's IQ or type of skills or higher levels of formal education. I am for Latin American migrants and other migrants to have a pathways to legal citizenship based on the unique qualities that they already have such as hard physical work, special outlooks on culture, society, and spirituality. etc. I do not think we need to mold our legal immigration allowanced into a funnel for corporate achievement. I admire the Latino efforts in the arts (music, dance, film, writing,etc.), church, agriculture, hospitality industry, construction and landscaping industries, native indigenous earth wisdom, etc. It is a narrow idea of life to expect all our immigrants to be engineers, doctors and lawyers, etc. We do not need to expect that any immigrant falls into a stereotype of what we think of their cultures- Asians can be housekeepers and Latinos can be doctors for instance...IT NEEDS TO ALL BE LEGAL except for real serious border crossing Asylum seekers. I do think that renewing an effort to combat the cartels and terrorists in the world will help more immigration become legal in the future as well.
On this point, I think we may disagree. What I purpose is we spend far more effort examining and investigating the person applying for a visa for permanent residence and that would include change of status in the US. The goal being to select exceptional people and I don't mean just having a college degree, being a lawyer, or owning a chain of stores but people who have real accomplishments in their life and have overcome real obstacles, a boy who sells post cards on the street, learns English and sells his service as guide, and turns it into small business with half dozen employees, the mother that raises 3 kids on her own while working two jobs, the father who works days attends college at night for 6 years and makes top grades, etc.

Currently, being accepted is determined primarily by your country of origin, family members in the US, whether you are a college graduate, your financial situation, a cursory security check, and passing the immigration interview.

At the interview, the visa officer has just a minute or two to greet you, ask you a few questions, flip through your passport, and write down 50 or so words to describe why your visa is issued or refused. There is no investigation and no one has any interest at all in what you have accomplish in your life.

What I'm suggesting would require a lot more people but I think it would be well worth the effort. I don't think there should be any arbitrary limit on the number of really good people that can make America a better place.

The image of American immigration is we don't really need you or want you. I think that image needs to change to we need and want people that can make America a better place but you're going have to prove it because we are looking for the best we can get.

Last edited:
Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump:
"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.

Yes, this is terrible. I think I know of a solution though: If you have children, STF away from our borders.

Go look up American laws on seeking asylum.

"Under U.S. law, the term refugee refers to a person who is located outside of the United States, is of “special humanitarian concern to the United States” and has demonstrated that they were persecuted or have a well-founded fear of persecution because of race, religion, nationality, social group or political opinion ."

The fact is this country is all about immigrants. I will not get into the controversy over whether Native Americans originated here and/or came over an ice bridge to here at this time. The fact is that the United States IS a nation made mostly of immigrants. The citizens have been most GENEROUS even in the last 25 years with allowing immigrants. Many Central Americans have been on TPS-temporary protected status and many unaccompanied minors were granted permanent residence. Immigration is the melting pot of this nation. The Latin Americans have now maxed out from Central America and Mexico and their TPS is scheduled to end. this opens up room for the new groups- Chinese, Africans, Cubans, Venezuelans, etc. YES there should be some European immigration ESPECIALLY Jews from France and the middle east. We may be able to help some people from Turkey and Burma as well. There is a ROTATION. The far left doesn't GET all the FACTS and math straight. These last caravan peoples just have bad timing as the USA has allowed LOTS and lots of people already from Central America. It is too bad for them. They are being upended by the crisis in Venezuela, with the ROHINGYA, (genocide), etc. THERE IS ALSO an uptick to increase the quotas of the most educated and successful from the world in our visa competitions as well. The USA will always need to have foreign agricultural workers and we must respect them very much and give them the citizenship they and military types have earned.
US accepts Rohingya refugees from Indonesia - National - The ...
www.thejakartapost.com/news/.../us-accepts-rohingya-refugees-from-indonesia.html
Feb 13, 2017 - “They drove us out of our houses, men and women in separate lines, ordering … According to a Rohingya refugee who was not included in the …………………………………………………………………………………………………... ……………………………..(Reuters)
trial stage on July 9-
A court in Myanmar charged two Reuters journalists with obtaining secret state documents, moving the landmark press freedom case.

Last edited:
"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.

Yes, this is terrible. I think I know of a solution though: If you have children, STF away from our borders.

"Under U.S. law, the term refugee refers to a person who is located outside of the United States, is of “special humanitarian concern to the United States” and has demonstrated that they were persecuted or have a well-founded fear of persecution because of race, religion, nationality, social group or political opinion ."

Which most people in Central America are not.

That creates an interesting dilemma for asylum and immigration officers.

A mother with 3 kids approaches an immigration agent at the border and says, "I fear for my life if I return home because my husband is a homicidal maniac who murdered my two children and vows to murder me and the whole family if I return."
Denied.

The mother speaks to a lawyer and makes one small addition, "I have demonstrated against the government and the police force and because of my political involvement they refuse to arrest him"
Accepted.

A person approaching an immigration officer with an asylum petition has a poor chance of success because his job is to stop anyone that does not have proper credentials. If the immigration agent turns the person away because for lack of cause, there can be no appeal. If agent believes the person is lying, he or she will be detained for deportation and possible bared legally entry for 3 years.

The way to get asylum is to get a tourist visa and enter the US legally, get an immigration lawyer to prepare the petition and instruct you on what to tell the asylum officer. Then make an appointment with the asylum officer. If the asylum officer denies your petition, you request a review by another officer. If it's approved your petition will be schedule for a hearing by an asylum judge. At the hearing, the lawyer can present the case. If you're turned down, you can request a review by another asylum judge. The chance of getting asylum is far better than just showing up at the border. Also, if immigration wants the case presented in English, the person must be able to do that or provide an interpreter at their own cost.

Again, Trump wants to build a wall that won't work while not addressing the issues like the 11 million who are already here and part of this society.

He is addressing those issues, and once again, you leftists are crying about it. ICE is working night and day to target businesses and illegals and boot them out of here. Trump has opened up many more deportation courts to speed up the process.

The problem with you people is that Democrat politicians tell you what to think--not why you should think it. A wall will work because it's provided results everywhere it's tried. If Democrats really believed the crap they tell you, they would welcome the Republicans blowing 28 billion on a wall just to use it against them for many elections to come. But the REAL reason they don't want the wall is because it will work.

Again, Trump wants to build a wall that won't work while not addressing the issues like the 11 million who are already here and part of this society.

He is addressing those issues, and once again, you leftists are crying about it. ICE is working night and day to target businesses and illegals and boot them out of here. Trump has opened up many more deportation courts to speed up the process.

The problem with you people is that Democrat politicians tell you what to think--not why you should think it. A wall will work because it's provided results everywhere it's tried. If Democrats really believed the crap they tell you, they would welcome the Republicans blowing 28 billion on a wall just to use it against them for many elections to come. But the REAL reason they don't want the wall is because it will work.
A reinforce fence is just as effective and a hell of lot cheaper.

The way to get asylum is to get a tourist visa and enter the US legally, get an immigration lawyer to prepare the petition and instruct you on what to tell the asylum officer. Then make an appointment with the asylum officer. If the asylum officer denies your petition, you request a review by another officer. If it's approved your petition will be schedule for a hearing by an asylum judge. At the hearing, the lawyer can present the case. If you're turned down, you can request a review by another asylum judge. The chance of getting asylum is far better than just showing up at the border. Also, if immigration wants the case presented in English, the person must be able to do that or provide an interpreter at their own cost.
...and this is why the Venezuelans were granted the most orders of Temporary Protected Status in 2017...they come in legally. They have a government ruining their lives back home.

Manufacturing is cheaper in Mexico; some people are thinking of investing in options on drone and wingsuit technologies.

Some highly educated Chinese are getting asylum here and abroad too...

Liu Xia, widow of Chinese dissident poet, is freed from house arrest and leaves China
Danielle Paquette
and Emily Rauhala
Liu Xiaobo was on her way to Germany.
“My sister has left Beijing to fly to Europe. She will start a new life and is grateful for all the people who have cared for her and helped her,” her brother Liu Hui posted on WeChat on Tuesday morning.

News RSF
Beijing pursues relentless crackdown on free speech
March 29, 2016

Last edited:

Fine. Whatever works as far as I'm concerned. But I'll leave what kind of structure is needed to the experts instead of my opinion. However, since USMB is a place for opinion, mine is the wall is for more than just illegals, it's to keep drugs out as well. A fence is something you can sneak drugs through in small amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back