What, in your opinion, are the biggest political travesties of our time?

Obviously, the worst political travesty of our lives was the Bush v. Gore decision. Nothing else comes close. That decision sucked so bad, the Supreme Court itself said the decision sucked so bad it should never be used as precedent.

Basically, there was that very interesting standard that the case should be decided on the basis of what injured George W. Bush, instead of being decided by the law. Very banana-republic-like.

And there was their willingness to override state's rights, solely because the state decision -- which said all legal ballots should be counted according to a single uniform standard -- injured George W. Bush. The SC reasoned "Bush will lose if legal ballots get counted, hence legal ballots may not be counted."

Anyone approving of that decision really hates democracy. They demanded that legal votes be tossed solely so their guy could win, and only the most depraved partisan shills try to defend a position that immoral. Supporting Bush v. Gore is like screaming "I LOVE ELECTION RIGGING!".

We would be a different country today if Gore was elected. No other president would have abandoned the war on terror to invade Iraq

True. Republicans tricked us into Iraq. They thought there was "oil".

Most of Catholic Charities money comes from the government. Bush just moved money to the churches so they could decide who was worthy and who isn't. Terrible politics.

That's the problem with Republicans today. They decide who is American. Who is worthy. Who deserves to be helped. Dirty ass fuckers.

kind of like what Luddy does.....he decides who is American and who isnt....how come you did not say that to him Dean?....oh and Dean....in the thread where i said Gov Brown has passed a budget fucking over the poor,Handicapped,Kids and Education.....you said ...your link seems to have disappeared.....so the next post i gave you like 5 of them....then YOU disappeared.....as usual....

Please, neither right wingers nor Republicans care about the poor, the handicapped or education. So spare me.
yet.....you have no comment on Luddy a fellow Lefty doing what you say ONLY Republicans do......
you DISAPPEARED mysteriously from the thread where you said my links "disappeared" saying Gov Brown did what you claimed ONLY Republicans did.....
i put up around 5 links saying exactly what i said he did.....Dean mysteriously....disappears....your problem Dean is you cant handle it when someone proves you wrong and feeds your shit back to you....so you either run from the thread.....or do your great dance routine.....or just ignore the post altogether....like i have said numerous times Dean.....you aint fooling anyone....

1. National debt up $7 trillion; wasteful spending like stimulus package
2. Green energy loans to hopeless companies like Solyndra
3. DOJ/NSA/IRS/Benghazi/Fast and Furious/AP scandals
4. Obamacare, especially its freedom-killing individual and business mandates and regulations (and the horrible Supreme Court decision!)
5. The war on coal/blocking of offshore drilling/Obama's war on American energy
6. Obama's war on the Catholic church violating their religious liberty

Mine:

1) The Bush tax cuts
2) Citizens United
3).The Iraq War

Small potatoes.

The biggest political travesties of our time is the American public's "let the other guy worry about it" syndrome.

Every 2-3 months, some dipshit posts Will MaCavoy's diatribe about this not being the greatest country on earth; it's the first scene of the first episode from HBO's series The Newsroom. I'll post it below for those who have not seen it (at the 3:18 mark):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA]The Newsroom - Opening Scene (Wow!) - YouTube[/ame]

I always want to ask the guys who think the country is fucked and use this video as proof, "If we're not the "greatest country" on earth, then who is and tell us why?" I have asked a few...nobody has an answer.

Anyway, the reason I post it is because the answer MaCavoy gives is very good while it doesn't answer the question that was asked.

We used to solve problems, not run from them. The republicans only care about making you afraid of any change from their Leave It To Beaver existence. The Democrats, on the other hand, love to assist the poor in every endeavor but I would suggest after a generation of welfare, you cut off the family... I would also suggest that we assist those who are demonstrating wanting to get ahead and solve problems both big and small; not those who, after a generation of welfare, still can't produce an ID to freaking vote; or...worse still...refuse to.

"Worst. Generation. Ever" is what MaCavoy just said.

If you really want to see who the people who are interested in solving problems as opposed to just here to belittle and sling mud; check out the sources they cite.... It's amusing to think that these people actually believe anyone is going to look at their sources and say, "Gee whiz...she did her homework." Yet you see it daily.

If the USA is the "greatest country on earth" why do Americans need to spend so much time repeating this supposed fact to each other?

'Great' can mean anything of course. Let's try a few possibles.

'Great education': American children come way down on international tables.

'Great wealth': America is by a long way the most indebted country on earth.

'Great industry': Patchy at best.

'Great political system': At the local and state level could be. At the national level? Suffice to say the rest of the world is not lost in admiration.

'Great legal system': Certainly great for lawyers, who infest every nook and cranny.

'Great diet': First time visitors to the US are often astounded by the great number of extremely fat people they encounter.

'Great healthcare': Well, what do you think?

My advice, which will be most unwelcome, is to give up on the lazy assumption that everything American is the best in the world by definition. Recognise that sometimes it pays to look at the way things are done elsewhere.

Last edited:
Our countries biggest mistake is the extensive unconstitutional domestic spying currently being done by the NSA. Never before has our country made such a big mistake, and on top of that lied and attempting to hide the truth from the citizens of the United States. I fear the backlash that's gunna happen when all his information in one place gets into the wrong hands, oh wait...

Our countries biggest mistake is the extensive unconstitutional domestic spying currently being done by the NSA. Never before has our country made such a big mistake, and on top of that lied and attempting to hide the truth from the citizens of the United States. I fear the backlash that's gunna happen when all his information in one place gets into the wrong hands, oh wait...

It's happened before, the first time right after we became a nation, the use of spies and spying equipment has always had a place in US federal government. It is what countries do to each other, even the ones allied.

What, in your opinion, are the biggest political travesties of our time?

404-error-obamacare.jpg

Kennedy assassination
allowing business to be considered as an individual
easing monopoly laws
allowing anyone in the world to give money to Congress to move legislation towards their monetary gain.
legalized abortion
welfare state
administrative legislation of federal and state departments
million man police force
Drug War
anti-2nd amendment legislation
trickle down theory
Letting Nancy Reagan run the presidency(Since Ronny really couldn't[2nd term].
operating the Space Shuttles to operate after their retirement date.(People died)
McCarthy
nationalization of National Guard
separate but equal
Watergate
Agnew tax evasion.

Last edited:
Mine:

1) The Bush tax cuts
2) Citizens United
3).The Iraq War

Centralizing power in DC by Ape Lincoln

The Creation of the Federal Reserve Board

The civil war against drug users

The "income" tax

The creation of the warfare state by Woodrow Wilson

The creation of the welfare state by FDR

I would add in the ratification of the 17 Amendment that allowed
direct election of US senators.

Another progressive change that changed the relationship of the states to the federal
gov't

Electing a racist black man who is more concerned with getting even with Whitey than he is in leading the nation.

Had to happen some day. It's not like white America gave those poor enslaved souls a break until recently.

White America gave far more breaks to blacks than South Africa and Zimbabwe and Sudan and Kenya and Tanzania and Nigeria and any and all the upstart African nations gave resident white folks, who made the lives of the new rulers in those countries more tolerable than those new rulers would ever have been able to achieve themselves.

And just for curiosity: What kept the Africans of 200-300-400 years ago from loading their ships and go set sails and discover and conquer Europe? And why did black tribes captured and sold into white slavery other black tribes? And why did not freed American black slaves grabbed the opportunity offered to them to return to Africa? And what happened to the black culture that Al Sharpton brags about?

I don't expect a valid answer, just accusations of being racist.

Mine:

1) The Bush tax cuts
2) Citizens United
3).The Iraq War

Centralizing power in DC by Ape Lincoln

The Creation of the Federal Reserve Board

The civil war against drug users

The "income" tax

The creation of the warfare state by Woodrow Wilson

The creation of the welfare state by FDR

I would add in the ratification of the 17 Amendment that allowed
direct election of US senators.

Another progressive change that changed the relationship of the states to the federal
gov't

Yes, yes, absolutely.

Obama and his reelection.

Ohh and the fact the main Stream press gives the Democrats a pass on a total lack of leadership and failure to pass a budget in 5 years.

I agree but my ire is really reserved for the MSM which should have done their usual and customary job of thoroughly vetting the bastard.

Why that is important is because Obama is free, within SOME limits,* to do whatever he wants in bringing this country down.

He has provided our enemies the template they can and will try to use in the future to do the same thing once again.

Whatever evil he is and does would be minor compared to the next devil that comes along next time.

And the MSM hasn't shown they are going to reliably perform their unique task of protecting the entry to the White House from hostile foreign entities.

That door remains wide open.

* - The only limits on him are those defined by his charm, good looks and intimidation of anyone who stands in his way.

Last edited:
Nothing can surpass the wasted opportunities for growth and prosperity during the Obama years...to say nothing of the foreign policy debacle.

Mine:

1) The Bush tax cuts
2) Citizens United
3).The Iraq War

Small potatoes.

The biggest political travesties of our time is the American public's "let the other guy worry about it" syndrome.

Every 2-3 months, some dipshit posts Will MaCavoy's diatribe about this not being the greatest country on earth; it's the first scene of the first episode from HBO's series The Newsroom. I'll post it below for those who have not seen it (at the 3:18 mark):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA]The Newsroom - Opening Scene (Wow!) - YouTube[/ame]

I always want to ask the guys who think the country is fucked and use this video as proof, "If we're not the "greatest country" on earth, then who is and tell us why?" I have asked a few...nobody has an answer.

Anyway, the reason I post it is because the answer MaCavoy gives is very good while it doesn't answer the question that was asked.

We used to solve problems, not run from them. The republicans only care about making you afraid of any change from their Leave It To Beaver existence. The Democrats, on the other hand, love to assist the poor in every endeavor but I would suggest after a generation of welfare, you cut off the family... I would also suggest that we assist those who are demonstrating wanting to get ahead and solve problems both big and small; not those who, after a generation of welfare, still can't produce an ID to freaking vote; or...worse still...refuse to.

"Worst. Generation. Ever" is what MaCavoy just said.

If you really want to see who the people who are interested in solving problems as opposed to just here to belittle and sling mud; check out the sources they cite.... It's amusing to think that these people actually believe anyone is going to look at their sources and say, "Gee whiz...she did her homework." Yet you see it daily.

If the USA is the "greatest country on earth" why do Americans need to spend so much time repeating this supposed fact to each other?

'Great' can mean anything of course. Let's try a few possibles.

'Great education': American children come way down on international tables.

'Great wealth': America is by a long way the most indebted country on earth.

'Great industry': Patchy at best.

'Great political system': At the local and state level could be. At the national level? Suffice to say the rest of the world is not lost in admiration.

'Great legal system': Certainly great for lawyers, who infest every nook and cranny.

'Great diet': First time visitors to the US are often astounded by the great number of extremely fat people they encounter.

'Great healthcare': Well, what do you think?

My advice, which will be most unwelcome, is to give up on the lazy assumption that everything American is the best in the world by definition. Recognise that sometimes it pays to look at the way things are done elsewhere.

We do. All the time.

Maybe you should recognize that sometimes it pays to remain quiet and not be recognized as the intellect you obviously are.

Electing a racist black man who is more concerned with getting even with Whitey than he is in leading the nation.

Had to happen some day. It's not like white America gave those poor enslaved souls a break until recently.

What did "white America" give those who came to America, penniless, not even be able to speak the language of the land?

Answer: OPPORTUNITY.

There are those who take that opportunity and make life for themselves and their kids and grandkids, and then there are those who bitch, incessantly and non-ceasingly about injustices that they, themselves have never suffered, but like bloodsucking leaches, try to collect from those who are the descendants of those who had nothing to do with their plight.

Now that a (half) black man is in the White House, it is time for the crybabies to shut the Hell up. Not only that, but since the Attorney General tends to throw anyone NOT of color under the bus, they should have bugger all to complain about.

Forum List

Back