When did Junk Plans become Junk Plans

Most of the companies that are available on the federal exchange are sold by small companies.
Insurance Companies listed on the Federal Exchange for Florida:
You call these small companies???
Humana Medical Plan, Inc. 4th largest in the nation 21.7 Billion in premiums
Florida Blue (BlueCross BlueShield FL) 17th largest in the nation 7.4 Billion in premiums
CoventryOne 13th largest in the nation 8.1 Billion in premiums
Aetna 5th largest in the nation 21.7 Billion in premiums
Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company 10th largest in the nation 9.6 Billion in premiums

Largest US Health Insurance Companies
www.healthcare.gov

except only Florida Blue is actually the obamacare company.

All others DO NOT sell their policies through the exchanges.

For Florida residents.
Florida Blue is a wholly owned subsidiary of Florida Blue Cross Blue Shield and those listed above are the only companies on the exchange for Florida. So if you live in Florida and buy through the exchange, you will buy from one of those companies. Check it out.
www.healthcare.gov

In all the debate over Obamadon'tcare, I don't recall much discussion about "Junk Plans". It was always about "you could keep your insurance if you like it".

Period.

Then our Affirmative Action Non-Hero gets has skinny ass caught in a wringer and all of sudden, these became junk plans.

I am sure there might have been a few statements about this prior to the BIG LIE being exposed, but I don't recall hearing it at all.

If the left can't produce 1000 clips of this, then they have to admit that this is nothing more than a scorched earth effort to divert from the fact that our incompetent president is also an incompetent liar.

ALL OF A SUDDEN THE LEFT BECOMES CONCERNED about our junk plans.

And Ed Shultz has the moxy and the dead brain cells to push this pile of horseshyt.

If you are from the left, don't bother posting about what the plans did and did not cover, that is just more smoke. It really does not matter if you think they are junk or not.

You were pretty quiet on the whole topic prior to the BIG LIE. That is what this is about. Negs to anyone who compares plans.

And maybe I am wrong about this. But I just don't recall seeing it.

All I heard was the may plan (good or bad) and doctor were safe from any issues because of Obamacare.

Let's see it.
Getting rid of junk insurance plans, not to be confused with high deductible catastrophic plans have been a goal since day one. Junk health insurance plans provide some coverage for day to day healthcare but fail to provide converge for real major medical expenses. Barebones plans, Mimi- med plans, healthcare cards are typical junk plans. According to Forbes, there are over 1200 such plans covering nearly 4 million people. Most but not all of these plans are illegal under the ACA.

Please show us where this was discussed by Obama or any of his hacks in his campaigning for the horseshyt bill. Did they provide cut-off points for when a plan became junk ?

I have not seen one clip from anyone who defends our Affirmative Action Failure for a president. Not one (not saying they don't exist...maybe they do).

That is the point of this thread.

Obama lied his ass off (or are you going to say he told the truth about keeping plans ?) and when his bill came back to bit him on his skinny ass...he all of a sudden started talking junk plans.

Where did you get 20%?

I ran the Kaiser Calculator for:
For 1 adult, nonsmoker, age 43, 3 kids, family income of $36,000 in Florida.

Results were:

For a Silver Plan
Premium of $9,059 per year
Subsidy of $7,571 per year
Amount of premium to be paid $1,487 per year
Maximum out of pocket $4500/yr.

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Gee, that should make everyone feel better, if they ignore the part where the Kaiser calculator is not an official government calculator, and that they are not responsible for any errors, and that the person who actually has to pay if it is wrong is the idiot (Flopper) who thinks it is the be all and end all in the discussion.
The calculation is not that difficult. The tables are on healthcare.gov. I could list several other calculators that will give the same results but I'm sure you would make the same claims about them.

Have you read any of the posts in this thread besides your own? The fucking subsides do not work like your taxes, if you make $1 more than the eligibility threshold you lose the subsides, and the IRS comes after you for every penny you got from them toward those subsides. does that calculator you like to point to as the be all and end all of the discussion mention that little detail, or will they wait until the IRS gobsmacks with the bill?

Florida Blue (BlueCross BlueShield FL) 17th largest in the nation 7.4 Billion in premiums
Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company 10th largest in the nation 9.6 Billion in premiums

www.healthcare.gov

Do you know what the word most means?
There are only 5 companies listed on the exchange for Florida and they are all large insurance companies. If you take the time to look you will see that's the case in almost all states.

Does that mean no?

There are 34 states on the federal exchange, Texas alone has over 40 insurers that offer plans through that exchange. Additionally, how many plans are available in Florida depend on where you live in the state. As of August there were 10 different companies that offer plans in various parts of Florida.

Florida health exchange details released - Orlando Sentinel

I guess that makes you flat out wrong about everything you said in your post, what a surprise.

RealClear is a right wing site. therefore, anything they say can be pretty much discarded.

Every study has found the same thing... most bankruptcies involve medical debt.

Medical Bills Are the Biggest Cause of US Bankruptcies: Study

Bankruptcies resulting from unpaid medical bills will affect nearly 2 million people this year—making health care the No. 1 cause of such filings, and outpacing bankruptcies due to credit-card bills or unpaid mortgages, according to new data. And even having health insurance doesn't buffer consumers against financial hardship.

The findings are from NerdWallet Health, a division of the price-comparison website. It analyzed data from the U.S. Census, Centers for Disease Control, the federal court system and the Commonwealth Fund, a private foundation that promotes access, quality and efficiency in the health-care system.

and another...

60% of US Bankruptcies Due To Medical Bills, While 78% Of Those Bankruptcies HAVE Insurance Coverage | Economy

1.5 millions US citizens will declare bankruptcy, and a new study suggests that over 60 percent of those individuals will be brought under due to medical bills. Medical bill bankruptcies increased by nearly 50 percent in a six-year period, from 46 percent in 2001 on up to 62 percent in 2007. Most filers hailed from the middle class, and were “well-educated homeowners,” according to a report that will be published in the August issue of the American Journal of Medicine, according to CNN. And, what’s more insane, three-quarters of the people with a medically-related bankruptcy had health insurance.

www.healthcare.gov

For Florida residents.
Florida Blue is a wholly owned subsidiary of Florida Blue Cross Blue Shield and those listed above are the only companies on the exchange for Florida. So if you live in Florida and buy through the exchange, you will buy from one of those companies. Check it out.
www.healthcare.gov

I LIVE in Florida.

That is why I KNOW.

Florida Blue is the only insurance company which is enrolled in obvamacare.

all others ARE NOT.

In all the debate over Obamadon'tcare, I don't recall much discussion about "Junk Plans". It was always about "you could keep your insurance if you like it".

Period.

Then our Affirmative Action Non-Hero gets has skinny ass caught in a wringer and all of sudden, these became junk plans.

I am sure there might have been a few statements about this prior to the BIG LIE being exposed, but I don't recall hearing it at all.

If the left can't produce 1000 clips of this, then they have to admit that this is nothing more than a scorched earth effort to divert from the fact that our incompetent president is also an incompetent liar.

ALL OF A SUDDEN THE LEFT BECOMES CONCERNED about our junk plans.

And Ed Shultz has the moxy and the dead brain cells to push this pile of horseshyt.

If you are from the left, don't bother posting about what the plans did and did not cover, that is just more smoke. It really does not matter if you think they are junk or not.

You were pretty quiet on the whole topic prior to the BIG LIE. That is what this is about. Negs to anyone who compares plans.

And maybe I am wrong about this. But I just don't recall seeing it.

All I heard was the may plan (good or bad) and doctor were safe from any issues because of Obamacare.

Let's see it.
Getting rid of junk insurance plans, not to be confused with high deductible catastrophic plans have been a goal since day one. Junk health insurance plans provide some coverage for day to day healthcare but fail to provide converge for real major medical expenses. Barebones plans, Mimi- med plans, healthcare cards are typical junk plans. According to Forbes, there are over 1200 such plans covering nearly 4 million people. Most but not all of these plans are illegal under the ACA.

Please show us where this was discussed by Obama or any of his hacks in his campaigning for the horseshyt bill. Did they provide cut-off points for when a plan became junk ?

I have not seen one clip from anyone who defends our Affirmative Action Failure for a president. Not one (not saying they don't exist...maybe they do).

Obama lied his ass off (or are you going to say he told the truth about keeping plans ?) and when his bill came back to bit him on his skinny ass...he all of a sudden started talking junk plans.
I doubt that there were any public discussions by Obama or Congress in which "junk" insurance was discussed per se. There have been many discussions about insurance that leaves people severely under-insured which includes junk insurance. Requiring that health insurance include hospitalization including surgery, drug coverage, emergency services, rehabilitation, etc will eliminate most of the junk insurance but of course not all.

I doubt that there were any public discussions by Obama or Congress in which "junk" insurance was discussed per se. There have been many discussions about insurance that leaves people severely under-insured which includes junk insurance. Requiring that health insurance include hospitalization including surgery, drug coverage, emergency services, rehabilitation, etc will eliminate most of the junk insurance but of course not all.

You udnerstand that every insurance policy sold was first approved by the state commissioner of insurance, right?

What those are what they represented were never quantified either.

You could have hospitalization with a massive deductable...would that be junk ?

And not all the plans that didn't qualify were not junk.

I go back to my OP.

Obama and co. were not as concerened about junk plans as they were concerned about finding something to deflect the fact that AAF was caught in the BIG LIE.

RealClear is a right wing site. therefore, anything they say can be pretty much discarded.

Every study has found the same thing... most bankruptcies involve medical debt.

Medical Bills Are the Biggest Cause of US Bankruptcies: Study

Bankruptcies resulting from unpaid medical bills will affect nearly 2 million people this year—making health care the No. 1 cause of such filings, and outpacing bankruptcies due to credit-card bills or unpaid mortgages, according to new data. And even having health insurance doesn't buffer consumers against financial hardship.

The findings are from NerdWallet Health, a division of the price-comparison website. It analyzed data from the U.S. Census, Centers for Disease Control, the federal court system and the Commonwealth Fund, a private foundation that promotes access, quality and efficiency in the health-care system.
and another...

60% of US Bankruptcies Due To Medical Bills, While 78% Of Those Bankruptcies HAVE Insurance Coverage | Economy

1.5 millions US citizens will declare bankruptcy, and a new study suggests that over 60 percent of those individuals will be brought under due to medical bills. Medical bill bankruptcies increased by nearly 50 percent in a six-year period, from 46 percent in 2001 on up to 62 percent in 2007. Most filers hailed from the middle class, and were “well-educated homeowners,” according to a report that will be published in the August issue of the American Journal of Medicine, according to CNN. And, what’s more insane, three-quarters of the people with a medically-related bankruptcy had health insurance.

Typical JoeB post, can't provide facts, attack the source.

Back in 2009 and 2010, Obama was against people having to endure 40% jumps in their insurance premiums. Now he has forced it.

He is a disgusting human being and people defending his hypocrisy can take a flying leap.

Grrrrr ... I'm too angry now ... I need to go pet my cat.

For Florida residents.
www.healthcare.gov

I LIVE in Florida.

That is why I KNOW.

all others ARE NOT.

No, that's not correct. Maybe in the county you live in there's only one carrier listed but that's not true for the state. If you check http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ chances are you will find only a few companies listed for your county possibly only one plus all companies are not on the exchange.

Click on the line below. It's from healthcare.gov for the state of Florida, Hillsborough County. On the left-hand side of the screen you will see a listing of all insurance companies listed on the exchange for that county. The number of companies will vary by county.

https://www.healthcare.gov/find-pre...type=med&state=FL&county=Hillsborough&age0=35

For Hillsborough County:
Humana Medical Plan, Inc.
Florida Blue (BlueCross BlueShield FL)
CoventryOne
Florida Blue HMO (a BlueCross BlueShield FL company)
Aetna
Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company

For Miami Dade there 9 companies companies on the exchange. I thought there were only 5 companies in the state that were listed but apparently there are more.

In some rural counties there maybe only one company serving that county. This happens in most states because the individual health insurance market isn't large enough to support a number of carriers in all counties.

Back in 2009 and 2010, Obama was against people having to endure 40% jumps in their insurance premiums. Now he has forced it.

He is a disgusting human being and people defending his hypocrisy can take a flying leap.

Grrrrr ... I'm too angry now ... I need to go pet my cat.

he has forced 400%-1000% jump - not mere 40%.

he thinks BIG :lol:

www.healthcare.gov

I LIVE in Florida.

That is why I KNOW.

all others ARE NOT.

No, that's not correct. Maybe in the county you live in there's only one carrier listed but that's not true for the state. If you check http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ chances are you will find only a few companies listed for your county possibly only one plus all companies are not on the exchange.

Click on the line below. It's from healthcare.gov for the state of Florida, Hillsborough County. On the left-hand side of the screen you will see a listing of all insurance companies listed on the exchange for that county. The number of companies will vary by county.

https://www.healthcare.gov/find-pre...type=med&state=FL&county=Hillsborough&age0=35

For Hillsborough County:
Humana Medical Plan, Inc.
Florida Blue (BlueCross BlueShield FL)
CoventryOne
Florida Blue HMO (a BlueCross BlueShield FL company)
Aetna
Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company

For Miami Dade there 9 companies companies on the exchange. I thought there were only 5 companies in the state that were listed but apparently there are more.

In some rural counties there maybe only one company serving that county. This happens in most states because the individual health insurance market isn't large enough to support a number of carriers in all counties.

Yes, I am correct.
In most counties there is only Florida blue through exchanges( including 3 counties in my vicinity)

which does not matter for me - I would be an idiot to go through exchange and for now I have employer-sponsored insurance.

in order to know what is there - one has to actually plug in the real person into the healthcare.gov - and there are not even close to the figures you provide.

That does not mean all those companies are not available on the private exchange. IN ANY COUNTY in Florida.

But that is a humongous difference.

Last edited:

ALL obamacare plans are extreme JUNK, especially the lower costs ones - they do not cover what people need and they have extreme deductibles and co-pays.

the ones which are a little bit better - are simply the road to bankruptcy if somebody is chronically ill and needs expensive medications and procedures.

or just can simply DIE - because the needed medications are NOT COVERED by this crappy junk insurance plans under obamacare.

I go back to my OP.

Obama and co. were not as concerened about junk plans as they were concerned about finding something to deflect the fact that AAF was caught in the BIG LIE.
Hospitalization only would be considered under insured and would not meet the requirements of the law. I think calling it junk insurance would be a pretty loose use of the term. Most people consider junk insurance as insurance that pays little or nothing for major medical problems. A high deductible plan should not be considered either under-insurance or junk insurance unless the the deductible is so high as to make the plan of limited use for most people in paying for a major medical problem.

Junk insurance is advertised on the Internet for less than dollar a day, $49 for a discount card that promises huge discounts, hospitalization plans with caps as low as $2,000. Some of the plans were just feeders to major insurance companies; that is practically no one qualified for the advertised plan and the company would try to sell you a much more expensive plan offered by major insurance company.

Last edited:

For Florida residents.
www.healthcare.gov

I LIVE in Florida.

That is why I KNOW.

all others ARE NOT.

In Colorado we have 5 on the Obamacare insurance exchange. Good Luck with your premiums if you only have one!

The Federal Government at work again!--:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NPzLBSBzPI]Lucy's Famous Chocolate Scene - YouTube[/ame]

This reminds me of how well Obamacare is working right now--:lol:

Last edited:

I go back to my OP.

Hospitalization only would be considered under insured and would not meet the requirements of the law. I think calling it junk insurance would be a pretty loose use of the term. Most people consider junk insurance as insurance that pays little or nothing for major medical problems. A high deductible plan should not be considered either under-insurance or junk insurance unless the the deductible is so high as to make the plan of limited use for most people in paying for a major medical problem.

Thank you.

But that isn't what Obammy did.

He and his army of pricks basically said anything that did not qualify was junk. One leftist asshole on a talk show said anyone who bought a plan that didn't qualify was a "sucker".

It was a diversion to get away from the BIG LIE as told by the BIG LIAR and his army of ALMOST AS BIG LIARS.

I wonder if Al Franken will add a Chapter to his "book" on this one. Somehow I doubt it.

I appreciate your candor.

ALL obamacare plans are extreme JUNK, especially the lower costs ones - they do not cover what people need and they have extreme deductibles and co-pays.

the ones which are a little bit better - are simply the road to bankruptcy if somebody is chronically ill and needs expensive medications and procedures.

or just can simply DIE - because the needed medications are NOT COVERED by this crappy junk insurance plans under obamacare.
Unless you qualify for a subsidy, there's no need to buy off the exchange. You can buy directly from the insurance companies and generally you will have a wider choice of both plans and insurers. If your income is low enough, you can quality for not only a big reduction in premium but a reduction in out of pocket cost if you buy through the exchange.

Last edited:
Ame®icano;8266364 said:
You were pretty quiet on the whole topic prior to the BIG LIE.

To me this is key point.

If they knew but didn't talk about it, then they all lied.

If they didn't know and they fell in trap just as we did, then how they can defend those who set the trap.

What can I say... that IS how left works.

They forgive them because they believe sometimes you have to manipulate the masses for the greater good...the ends justify the means.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Forum List

Back