Why do people bitch & whine about the attack on the U.S.S. Liberty so much?

It seems like every time you turn around in any discussion about Israel you see people whining about the Israeli attack on the intelligence gathering ship U.S.S.Liberty during the Six Day War?

USS Liberty incident - Wikipedia

The attack was first by some IDF fighters that killed 9 aboard then when IDF torpedo boats closed on the ship one of them launched a torpedo which hit Liberty squarely and killed 25 more.

Israel apologized for the attack and paid compensation to the U.S. for the dead and injured as well as damage to the ship.

Mistakes happen in war zones. You don't hear the British whining on and on about the accidental air strikes by the U.S. during Desert Storm that killed dozens of British soldiers.
Lyin' Loser Lyndon

The Israelis targeted the Liberty because it was a spy ship transmitting information about Israeli troop movements to the Arabs. LBJ felt the world situation and the Mideast would be better off if he limited Israel's overwhelming and embarrassing victory. Eisenhower had also betrayed them during the 1956 Suez War for the same ignorant reasons.

That Israel air force also shot down a Libyan airliner over the Sinai just a few years removed from the Liberty attack (killing all aboard).

All military units can and have made mistakes.
A Preview of 9/11, Which the C"I"A Ignored

That wasn't a mistake either. The Israelis had what turned out to be prescient intelligence that the Arabs were planning to hijack an airliner and fly it into a skyscraper, killing thousands. The innocent but incompetent Libyan pilot had gotten lost over the Sinai, which was then Libyan territory.

By the way, "innocent but incompetent" is a contradiction in terms.

It was no mistake. it was a deliberate attack. The goddamn Israelis lied about it and goddamn LBJ covered it up so as to not piss off AIPAC that were heavy contributors to the filthy ass Democrat Party.

One of the most despicable events in American history.

It is worth remembering as a lesson on the corruption of government and the fact that we can't trust anybody in the Middle East.

Israel is not an ally. Israel is a welfare queen of the US. The relationship we have with them is that we give them stuff and they like it. Piss on Israel. They are no different than any of the other shitheads in the Middle East.
From the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea, Osama bin Laden Approves Flash's Message

I heard the ON SITE reports DURING AND AFTER the attack---IN REAL TIME-----the "ON GOING ATTACK FOR HOURS" claim is BULL SHIT----as is the "strafing of
life boats" claim. I have heard and dealt with LOTS
OF injurious incidents---"lots" means something like
hundreds. They tend to GROW with time.
We've been in touch with people who were in the USAFSS in Viet Nam who were receiving written reports but haven't heard from anyone who was listening to the attack as it happened. I'm curious to know where you were when you were listening and was it being recorded.

As for strafing of life rafts, you might find statements made by Lloyd Painter and Glenn Oliphant interesting.
https://bit.ly/3szS0wY and https://bit.ly/3RPcfiP

Lyin' Loser Lyndon

The Israelis targeted the Liberty because it was a spy ship transmitting information about Israeli troop movements to the Arabs. LBJ felt the world situation and the Mideast would be better off if he limited Israel's overwhelming and embarrassing victory. Eisenhower had also betrayed them during the 1956 Suez War for the same ignorant reasons.
Can you share an authoritative source for your claim? The conversations I've had with my USS Liberty shipmates who were in a position to know lead me to believe that we were not acting as your message asserts we were.

We've been in touch with people who were in the USAFSS in Viet Nam who were receiving written reports but haven't heard from anyone who was listening to the attack as it happened. I'm curious to know where you were when you were listening and was it being recorded.

As for strafing of life rafts, you might find statements made by Lloyd Painter and Glenn Oliphant interesting.
https://bit.ly/3szS0wY and https://bit.ly/3RPcfiP
I was in a hospital---to clarify---I heard on site reports
just after the ship was hit----not the bombing itself I cannot access your citations----"bit.ly'?

Only the US Air Force at the Same Time in Vietnam
so true----military errors ABOUND---for the record--unauthorized discussion thereof by participants or
persons privy to the records is a VIOLATION
OF MILITARY LAW---even for people like me---
separated from the Navy ---YEARS AGO. Jerks
fail to recognize that fact and former military
people----often spit on the rules for some sort of
personal agenda.

Can you share an authoritative source for your claim? The conversations I've had with my USS Liberty shipmates who were in a position to know lead me to believe that we were not acting as your message asserts we were.
uhm fellow sailor boy----uhm----do not put your
credentials at risk. Uhm----if you KNOW----as a military
guy----you cannot discuss--PUBLICALLY what you KNOW.

It seems like every time you turn around in any discussion about Israel you see people whining about the Israeli attack on the intelligence gathering ship U.S.S.Liberty during the Six Day War?

USS Liberty incident - Wikipedia

The attack was first by some IDF fighters that killed 9 aboard then when IDF torpedo boats closed on the ship one of them launched a torpedo which hit Liberty squarely and killed 25 more.

Israel apologized for the attack and paid compensation to the U.S. for the dead and injured as well as damage to the ship.

Mistakes happen in war zones. You don't hear the British whining on and on about the accidental air strikes by the U.S. during Desert Storm that killed dozens of British soldiers.
I agree completely. Every shred of credible evidence indicates the attack was a tragic accident.

The Liberty Incident

if Israel wanted to sink the Liberty then why didn''t they use weapons capable of doing the job?

They did.

They fired 5 torpedos at the USS Liberty, 4 missed and the one that hit killed over 20 American G.I.s and should have sunk the ship except for a design fluke that lessened the damage.

The Israeli objective was three-fold:

1. Sink the ship with torpedos
2. Murder the entire crew with napalm, machine gun, and cannon fire. (1)
3. Blame the Egyptians.

There's even a confession by an ethical Israeli pilot who refused to participate in the massacre of American G.I.s (2)

Any other questions?

(1). "NEW EVIDENCE PROVES ISRAEL ATTACKED USS LIBERTY WITH ORDERS TO KILL 294 AMERICANS"

EXCERPT "Navy Admiral Thomas Moorer, who has served this country as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Chief of Naval Operations, once lead an independent commission to investigate what really happened to the USS Liberty. The commission’s findings were made public in 2003. Here are a few of the shocking conclusions.

• The attack, by a U.S. ally, was a deliberate attempt to destroy an American ship and kill its entire crew.
  • The attack included the machine-gunning of stretcher-bearers and life rafts .
  • The White House deliberately prevented the U.S. Navy from coming to the defense of the USS Liberty. This was the first time in naval history a rescue mission had been cancelled while an American ship was under attack.
  • Surviving crew members were later threatened with court-martial, imprisonment, or worse if they talked to anyone about what had happened to them; and were “abandoned by their own government.”CONTINUED

(2). "Israeli Pilot Speaks Up"
https://www.wrmea.org/1993-june/the-assault-on-the-uss-liberty-still-covered-up-after-26-years.html

EXCERPT "Fifteen years after the attack, an Israeli pilot approached Liberty survivors and then held extensive interviews with former Congressman Paul N. (Pete) McCloskey about his role. According to this senior Israeli lead pilot, he recognized the Liberty as American immediately, so informed his headquarters, and was told to ignore the American flag and continue his attack. He refused to do so and returned to base, where he was arrested."CONTINUED

I agree completely. Every shred of credible evidence indicates the attack was a tragic accident.

The Liberty Incident

$10,000- says that A. Jay Cristol is lying:

I've already posted numerous sources confirming that Israel's deliberate attack on the USS Liberty included a series of war crimes such as strafing lowered life rafts. (1)

$10,000 Challenge
USS Liberty Veterans Association | $10,000 Challenge

"The Liberty Veterans Association offers a $10,000 reward to anyone who can establish the truth of A. Jay Cristol's claim:

"After ten official US investigations (including five congressional investigations), there was never any evidence that the attack was made with knowledge that the target was a US ship."

"Commonly Asked Questions about the USS Liberty"
Prepared by the Independent Commission of Inquiry

EXCERPT "After the attack was thought to have ended, three life rafts were lowered into the water to rescue the most seriously wounded. The Israeli torpedo boats returned and machine-gunned these life rafts at close range."CONTINUED

Lyin' Loser Lyndon

I'm old enough to remember when Israel deliberately attacked our clearly marked USS Liberty and have followed old and recently declassified reports on the betrayal ever since and I've never heard the outrageous claim that:
it was a spy ship transmitting information about Israeli troop movements to the Arabs.

If the Liberty was transmitting Israeli troop movements to the Arabs, why did IDF continue to kill crew members and strafe life rafts after the ship was unable to transmit anything?

If the ship was really revealing Israeli information to the Arabs, why did one ethical Israeli pilot refuse to participate in the criminal massacre?

Nobody seems to mind that another U.S. spy ship, the USS Pueblo, was captured by North Korea in 1968 and is held as a trophy by N.K. Why not get the freaking ship back?

Nobody seems to mind that another U.S. spy ship, the USS Pueblo, was captured by North Korea in 1968 and is held as a trophy by N.K. Why not get the freaking ship back?
easy, fear of provoking a war with North Korea.

I was hoping that you would respond to my earlier Post where I posted proof that the Israeli attack was a deliberate attempt to sink an American ship and murder the entire crew.

Would you like for me to post it again?
ok----repost along with the names of the Navy
witnesses who violated military law

Forum List

Back