Why do so many Floridians have electric ranges instead of gas?

MacTheKnife

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2018
Florida a state that has been ravaged by hurricanes time and again and yet 90 percent of the people depend on having electricity in order to cook...makes no sense. Why don't people buy gas ranges?

One of the first things to go during a hurricane is your electricity....when the hurricane hit a couple of years ago where I live....I was without power for about 2 weeks....i had to cook my food in the backyard using a charcoal grill and I was fortunate enough to have the charcoal. Not to mention of course...my refrigerator also runs on electricity.

I know they make refrigerators that operate on gas....but I do not know anyone that has one....just makes no sense.

Not even to mention their evacuation routes are a joke....thus many just decide to ride out the storm at home.

Seems like there needs to be a lot more planning on how to deal with hurricanes in Florida.

I know they make refrigerators that operate on gas....but I do not know anyone that has one....just makes no sense.

Depends on the price of electricity in your area, versus gas. Gas appliances are typically cheaper to run and costs about the same. Gas refrigerators are typically much more expensive than their electric counterparts and with much fewer options.

Gas fridges only make sense if you live in a remote area where electricity is crazy expensive or not reliable. Like island communities or off-grid farms.

The high compressor start currents of fridges and freezers are hard on AC inverters for those using off-grid solar and wind. A gas-fridge makes more sense in that scenario.

Gas produces water; humidity in Florida is bad, is it not?

Greg

Florida a state that has been ravaged by hurricanes time and again and yet 90 percent of the people depend on having electricity in order to cook...makes no sense. Why don't people buy gas ranges?

One of the first things to go during a hurricane is your electricity....when the hurricane hit a couple of years ago where I live....I was without power for about 2 weeks....i had to cook my food in the backyard using a charcoal grill and I was fortunate enough to have the charcoal. Not to mention of course...my refrigerator also runs on electricity.

Not even to mention their evacuation routes are a joke....thus many just decide to ride out the storm at home.

Seems like there needs to be a lot more planning on how to deal with hurricanes in Florida.
Electric is cheap.

No natural gas lines to homes, no infrastructure.

Propane is more expensive in canasters

Though my MIL, had a large outside tank filled monthly for a newly installed central heat system

I cook with electric and have natural gas heat. I have had natural gas stoves before when I rented. I prefer electric. Of course, when the power is out, my natural gas heat is useless as well. It is a bit ironic that the sunshine state gets most of its electric from natural gas though.

What type of gas? If you don't have natural gas piped in your area you have to use electricity unless you want to buy or rent a propane tank as big as a small submarine.

My best guess would be that most of Florida has inappropriate soil and ground to bury gas or power lines.
Southern Fl. is nothing but limestone and marshes and plagued by sinkholes from underground water.

41B0VV5i3oL._SX466_.jpg

Interesting how there are those perfectly comfortable exhibiting their ignorance.

Interesting how there are those perfectly comfortable exhibiting their ignorance.
I know.How are they going to cook in the dark?

A lot of areas in Florida are not built according to code so who knows.
They only have to comply with code when applying for a new insurance company.

Forum List

Back