Why do so many people from every political angle talk like we're on the path to destruction?

Liberals, conservatives, whatever. It seems like so many people are convinced that the world is ending and/or that everything is horrible. Are we really headed for doom? Is life really that bad? There's so much negativity and melodrama in politics. Does it never occur to you people that maybe humanity will be just fine? Maybe people have to convince themselves the world is ending and that everything sucks so their rage and hysteria doesn't seem like an overreaction.

It's my opinion that humanity will be just fine. We'll forge ever onward and reach heights beyond what we can currently imagine. You doom and gloomers are heavily overreacting. It almost seems like you want to witness the world crumble. Just relax a little; take a Xanax. Everything's going to be fine.
The Democratic Party stole the election of President and both Georgia senators. Do you believe that's relevant to this discussion?

Liberals, conservatives, whatever. It seems like so many people are convinced that the world is ending and/or that everything is horrible. Are we really headed for doom? Is life really that bad? There's so much negativity and melodrama in politics. Does it never occur to you people that maybe humanity will be just fine? Maybe people have to convince themselves the world is ending and that everything sucks so their rage and hysteria doesn't seem like an overreaction.

It's my opinion that humanity will be just fine. We'll forge ever onward and reach heights beyond what we can currently imagine. You doom and gloomers are heavily overreacting. It almost seems like you want to witness the world crumble. Just relax a little; take a Xanax. Everything's going to be fine.
The Democratic Party stole the election of President and both Georgia senators. Do you believe that's relevant to this discussion?
No....and no.

How do you control voters? How do you "steal" their votes?

If you are forced to commit suicide you aren't privileged. The philosophers were generals, historians, artists, farmers, teachers, and merchants. There wasn't a group of wealthy dudes, laying around eating olives, and thinking deep thoughts. They had to provide a living for themselves.

Most of them were highly privileged upper-class academics. I am using "academic" kind of loosely here. Mostly I just mean that they were learned people. Education was more of a privilege back then. I didn't say they didn't do anything but eat grapes, but they did have a lot more time and comfort than the average person of that era. I believe that's part of what allowed them to make the breakthroughs that they did.

Have you read Thucydides?

How do you control voters? How do you "steal" their votes?

You place an algorithm in a simple vote tabulation machine. And you allow mail in ballots with no Identification requirements. Both of which occurred in this last "election".

Honestly I think you need to stop watching so much goddamn Rick and Morty and drop the cringey nihilist act.

I have come to expect better than this from you.

You have? Well, thanks I guess. I consider myself a bit of a nihilist as well. But I do not have a rosy outlook for the future generations and it does bother me that nothing I say or do can change it. I've tried talking to lefties on this site to calm the fuck down and stop trying to wreck everything but they simply won't listen.

I am somewhat familiar with his work and accomplishments. What are you getting at? Do you disagree that the Greeks and their philosophers are a reasonable example to reinforce the point I'm making?

Trumpism.

Trumpism has put us in serious peril and created political stress which never existed previous.
I expect with the clown gone and Good Ole Joe righting the ship that things will relax. It will take time though.
Trump merely exposed the corrupt political class. Why do you support billionaires over the middle class? Why are you a racist?
God Bless you.
Yep, bless his little heart. And brain.

You have? Well, thanks I guess. I consider myself a bit of a nihilist as well. But I do not have a rosy outlook for the future generations and it does bother me that nothing I say or do can change it. I've tried talking to lefties on this site to calm the fuck down and stop trying to wreck everything but they simply won't listen.

I think future generations will see us as primitive and ignorant people. I just believe in humanity. I believe we'll continue climbing until the universe decides to get in our way.

I think future generations will see us as primitive and ignorant people. I just believe in humanity. I believe we'll continue climbing until the universe decides to get in our way.

Maybe, maybe not. I know one thing, progress isn’t linear. In my lifetime I’ve seen a fair share of technological and medical advances and in many ways we’ve devolved as a society.

western civilization is currently obsessed with self-sabotage, we disrespect our ancestors who made possible the life of luxury we take for granted today. It's a very predictable cycle that has repeated itself many times over the course of human civilization. It's only going to get worse.

I am somewhat familiar with his work and accomplishments. What are you getting at? Do you disagree that the Greeks and their philosophers are a reasonable example to reinforce the point I'm making?

I am saying that your understanding of the lives they led, is incomplete.

Dumb is still thinking a billionaire (or billionaire wannabes) like Trump ever intended to disempower his fellow billionaires. Dumb is thinking the Trump or Bush dynasties any less of a threat to peace and harmony than the Clintons or Obamas. Hope right now only resides in empowering the many by neutering those with too much. Once accomplished, hope resides in ensuring they never return by making such grotesque accumulations illegal worldwide. No place to hide for the disgustingly greedy who wish only to continue showing off at the expense of millions. Same for corporations. Too big to fail is failure.

Dumb is still thinking a billionaire (or billionaire wannabes) like Trump ever intended to disempower his fellow billionaires. Dumb is thinking the Trump or Bush dynasties any less of a threat to peace and harmony than the Clintons or Obamas. Hope right now only resides in empowering the many by neutering those with too much. Once accomplished, hope resides in ensuring they never return by making such grotesque accumulations illegal worldwide. No place to hide for the disgustingly greedy who wish only to continue living at the expense of millions. Same for corporations. Too big to fail is failure.

Yeah sure. If you favor disarming the populace you are a fascist. That is the only test that need be made. And yes, dear child, the fascists ARE leftists.

The country is changing. The world is changing. That's terrifying for some, and worse, they have their trusted voices screaming in their ears 24/7/365, making them even MORE paranoid.

The future will depend on how well we manage the change. The jury is out. But we can't listen to those who are overcome with fear and paranoia.

So few people have faith in humanity. I find that sad.
People who understand HUMAN NATURE know better than to trust "humanity" to make personal decisions for you.

As a Commie, would you trust a true AMERICAN to make decisions that affect you personally?

I dont trust leftists, and NEVER WILL because I understand the evil that motivates you

over the last 50-100 yrs its been going down,, the further back you step the clearer it is to see the tyranny and oppression in the name of equality and diverseness,,,

Over the last 100 years we have had countless unbelievable technological breakthroughs that have changed our world completely. In general the world is more peaceful and prosperous than it has ever been. What are you talking about?
I don't know about more peaceful.

over the last 50-100 yrs its been going down,, the further back you step the clearer it is to see the tyranny and oppression in the name of equality and diverseness,,,

Over the last 100 years we have had countless unbelievable technological breakthroughs that have changed our world completely. In general the world is more peaceful and prosperous than it has ever been. What are you talking about?
The two political sides are getting further apart, and unable to get along and have any respect for the other side. And this is in the US, not worldwide.
Only one side is moving.
That would be the left moving into the absurd.
The "right" is moving to the left too, just at a much slower pace.

Only the crackpot left can be blamed for the current state of the country
Yeah, like they stormed the Capitol.

The two political sides are getting further apart, and unable to get along and have any respect for the other side. And this is in the US, not worldwide.
Only one side is moving.
That would be the left moving into the absurd.
The "right" is moving to the left too, just at a much slower pace.

Only the crackpot left can be blamed for the current state of the country
Yeah, like they stormed the Capitol.
Like the Brownshirts. Too stupid to know they were fascist tools, only dumber.

Please explain how you get from "quality of life improvements" to "spiritual, emotional, and philosophical growth". Do you have any historical examples of a society becoming better in those ways as they became wealthier and more comfortable? I seem to recall history being replete with nations getting wealthier and more advanced in quality of life, only to become corrupt and decadent philosophically and spiritually, and eventually falling.

I think knowledge, experience and the technology that comes with those things has been helping us in that sense all along regardless of any lapses. I believe in general we are more enlightened than those that came before us. I also think those that come after us will be more enlightened still.

So you have no actual examples or proof. You just have your happy-mouth, pie-in-the-sky imaginings about how the world works. Got it.

Forum List

Back