Why Does Michelle Obama’s Mother Live at the White House?

Hate to break it to you....but for 200 years the White House has been the home to the Presidents family.....you object to THAT?

No, but I do object to extended family.

You can point to four examples where it has been done before but that doesn't mean it's right, it just means they were wrong four times before.

You dont get to define whats considered extended family. Just pay your taxes.

What is your definition of an "extended" family?

Oh I do pay my taxes asshole!! Otherwise your ilk would starve.

Extended family is anybody who is not a parent, child, or sibling.

That's it. Don't try telling me my mother is not part of my immediate family. I have allergies, and the coughing fit could do me in.

Probably not, but sometimes I stretch for humor, wherever it may be.

Hate to break it to you....but for 200 years the White House has been the home to the Presidents family.....you object to THAT?

You can point to four examples where it has been done before but that doesn't mean it's right, it just means they were wrong four times before.

So then your issue comes down to what is a "real family" and that you don't consider a family with a grandma living with them to be a "real family"

Come on conservatives ...31 pages....you can do it
Just admit this is not a big deal and that you support extended families

No my issue is what us taxpayers should be on the hook for. I have no problem with the first family living in the Whitehouse at our expense, but beyond that they should take care of their own extended family members and not burden us with the expense.

Usually families that have extended members living with them do so because they can't afford alternatives.

That's it. Don't try telling me my mother is not part of my immediate family. I have allergies, and the coughing fit could do me in.

She's no more a member of your immediate family than your mother-in-law is.

So then your issue comes down to what is a "real family" and that you don't consider a family with a grandma living with them to be a "real family"

No my issue is what us taxpayers should be on the hook for. I have no problem with the first family living in the Whitehouse at our expense, but beyond that they should take care of their own extended family members and not burden us with the expense.

Usually families that have extended members living with them do so because they can't afford alternatives.

Can't afford alternatives? Is that how conservatives look at extended families? You never consider that they may love their mother and want to take care of her? Or that they want their mother in their daughters lives?

Why do Conservatives struggle so much with the concept of family? We know you have issues with gay families....but bitching about grandma is creeping me out

Last edited:

Yes. She is. So - when I was two. My mother was not a member of my immediate family?

Is it your contention that one outgrows their immediate family?

That's a shit-poor contention, home skillet.

Further;

The immediate family is a defined group of relations, used in rules or laws to determine which members of a person's family are affected by those rules. It normally includes a person's parents, spouses, siblings and children. It can contain others connected by birth, adoption, marriage, civil partnership, or cohabitation, such as grandparents, grandchildren, siblings-in-law, half-siblings, adopted children and step-parents/step-children, and cohabiting partners.

Immediate family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't believe conservatives want to kick an old lady out of the White House

Sorry lady....Immediate family only

Move along

For the record I have no problem with the mother-in-law living at the white house. If it was a cousin or something like that then I would have a problem, but as it stands now, it's not an unusual arrangement for a family. There are much, much bigger issues that we can complain about when it comes to Obama.

Last edited:

Can't afford alternatives? Is that how conservatives look at extended families? You never consider that they may love their mother and want to take care of her? Or that they want their mother in their daughters lives?

Why do Conservatives struggle so much with the concept of family? We know you have issues with gay families....but bitching about grandma is creeping me out

I don't speak for all conservatives. I speak for myself.

You can spin it any way you want. I'm telling you what I believe and have experienced. My mother lived with me with when could no longer care for herself, now I could have put her in a convalescent home as some people choose to do, but I chose to have a live in nurse there to tend to her because I had the money and could afford it.

Now had I been a poor Democrat then I would probably let the state i.e. the taxpayers provide for her needs. Much like what the Obama's are doing.

Yes. She is. So - when I was two. My mother was not a member of my immediate family?

I stand by my original comment on the matter. You idiots can believe whatever you want.

You can spin it any way you want. I'm telling you what I believe and have experienced. My mother lived with me with when could no longer care for herself, now I could have put her in a convalescent home as some people choose to do, but I chose to have a live in nurse there to tend to her because I had the money and could afford it.

Now had I been a poor Democrat then I would probably let the state i.e. the taxpayers provide for her needs. Much like what the Obama's are doing.

Don't be an ass. It has nothing to do with Mrs. Robinson's health. She is Michelle's immediate family. They were living together after she was widowed. She helps with the girls, and I doubt anybody is paying her to do so, as a nanny would be paid. My mom took care of my daughter at no charge. That's what family does. And family doesn't STOP being family just because the man of the house landed the highest office in the land.

Further;

The immediate family is a defined group of relations, used in rules or laws to determine which members of a person's family are affected by those rules. It normally includes a person's parents, spouses, siblings and children. It can contain others connected by birth, adoption, marriage, civil partnership, or cohabitation, such as grandparents, grandchildren, siblings-in-law, half-siblings, adopted children and step-parents/step-children, and cohabiting partners.

Now look up "extended "family.

Oh and use "Wikipedia". We all know how credible that site is. :cuckoo:

Did you call her a freeloader?

I stand by my original comment on the matter. You idiots can believe whatever you want.

Okay, well as long as you're "one of those people" - yeah, I get it. Doesn't matter if your assertions are correct. You just need to be right and have the last word, no matter how stupid it makes you look.

Now, the correct response would be for you to go get a link, just like I did, and prove that one's mother stops being a member of one's immediate family once one reaches adulthood or gets married.

Did you call her a freeloader?

Why, I do believe he did!

Another little piece of the puzzle us sane people have. My parents carried me to age 18, and helped me every so often when needed. Not very often. I am a proud one. I don't ask for help except maybe once a decade. But they raised me, and they did without in my honor (in the early years).

Apparently in neocon land, there is no familial debt to a senior parent.

Maybe they should just stick her on an ice floe and wave her out to sea.

Further;

Now look up "extended "family.

Oh and use "Wikipedia". We all know how credible that site is. :cuckoo:

No, that's not how it works. YOU look up extended family.

Silly person.

You don't like Wikipedia? You want to try again? Okies.

Immediate family refers to a person’s parents, spouse, children, and siblings and will also include the parent’s spouse. Usually step children and adopted children and their spouses are included under the purview of immediate family.

An example of a Missouri Statute defining immediate family is the Missouri Code of State Regulations,19 CSR 15-7.021 (18) (H). It defines immediate family as follows:

An immediate family member is defined as a parent; sibling; child by blood, adoption, or marriage; spouse; grandparent or grandchild.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/i/immediate-family/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back