Why should there be “universal background checks” for firearms sales and transfers?

I see no good reason why a federal law should not be passed that requires a background check for any and every gun sold in a gun store, online, or gun show. Some states already do that, but IMHO every state should. Private sales are another matter, I don't think that can reasonably be done, BUT - if a crime is committed with a gun and the person with the gun has not passed a background check then that person should face additional penalties. I do not see how the 2nd Amendment rights of any law-abiding citizen would suffer under such a law. If I bought a gun via a private sale then I should make sure I have had a background check on myself done, and in fact there should be a website where anyone can do that. Moreover, if a gun owner discovers that any of his/her guns is missing then that person should file a report with the local police.

Look - there's no easy answer to the problem of gun violence and mass shootings. UBCs are not going to solve the problem, nobody is saying otherwise. But it can't hurt and if we keep a gun out of the hands of even one deranged shooter then isn't it worth it? I'm a gun owner myself, I passed a background check without issue, so why shouldn't every other wannabe gun owner do the same thing?

If someone can't buy the gun, they can't shoot people...

When guns are gone, somebody will come up with an alternative......humans are very ingenious.

640px-Suicide_Bomb_Vest.png

I see no good reason why a federal law should not be passed that requires a background check for any and every gun sold in a gun store, online, or gun show. Some states already do that, but IMHO every state should. Private sales are another matter, I don't think that can reasonably be done, BUT - if a crime is committed with a gun and the person with the gun has not passed a background check then that person should face additional penalties. I do not see how the 2nd Amendment rights of any law-abiding citizen would suffer under such a law. If I bought a gun via a private sale then I should make sure I have had a background check on myself done, and in fact there should be a website where anyone can do that. Moreover, if a gun owner discovers that any of his/her guns is missing then that person should file a report with the local police.

Look - there's no easy answer to the problem of gun violence and mass shootings. UBCs are not going to solve the problem, nobody is saying otherwise. But it can't hurt and if we keep a gun out of the hands of even one deranged shooter then isn't it worth it? I'm a gun owner myself, I passed a background check without issue, so why shouldn't every other wannabe gun owner do the same thing?
theres already a law for that and its unconstitutional,,

theres already a law for that and its unconstitutional,,

Not a federal law, right?

Has the Supreme Court ruled UBCs to be unconstitutional? I kinda doubt it, nobody's right to bear arms is infringed unless there are reasons to do so, and there are a number of states that require background checks. Texas does, I had to pass a background check before I could purchase my guns.

Has the Supreme Court ruled UBCs to be unconstitutional? I kinda doubt it, nobody's right to bear arms is infringed unless there are reasons to do so, and there are a number of states that require background checks. Texas does, I had to pass a background check before I could purchase my guns.
BC's are 10th amendment issues, not federal.

yes its a federal law that all FFL's do a background check anywhere they sell a gun,,

I said anywhere they sell a gun,, that includes online and gun shows,,

At gun shows, both official firearms retailers and private individuals sell and trade firearms to large numbers of potential buyers and traders. These gun transfers are not regulated by law in most states. This lack of regulation is called the "gun show loophole." It is praised by gun rights advocates but denounced by gun control supporters, as the loophole allows persons who would not be able to pass a Brady Act gun buyer background check to obtain firearms. The “gun show loophole” refers to the fact that most states do not require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals. Federal law requires background checks on guns sold by federally licensed dealers only.

BC's are 10th amendment issues, not federal.

That's not what Progressive Hunter is saying. He's saying there's a federal law that says you can't buy a gun at a sporting goods store or online or at a gun show anywhere in the country unless you pass the BC.

Forum List

Back