Why should there be “universal background checks” for firearms sales and transfers?

At gun shows, both official firearms retailers and private individuals sell and trade firearms to large numbers of potential buyers and traders. These gun transfers are not regulated by law in most states. This lack of regulation is called the "gun show loophole." It is praised by gun rights advocates but denounced by gun control supporters, as the loophole allows persons who would not be able to pass a Brady Act gun buyer background check to obtain firearms. The “gun show loophole” refers to the fact that most states do not require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals. Federal law requires background checks on guns sold by federally licensed dealers only.

That's not what Progressive Hunter is saying. He's saying there's a federal law that says you can't buy a gun at a sporting goods store or online or at a gun show anywhere in the country unless you pass the BC.
That's what I said.

At gun shows, both official firearms retailers and private individuals sell and trade firearms to large numbers of potential buyers and traders. These gun transfers are not regulated by law in most states. This lack of regulation is called the "gun show loophole." It is praised by gun rights advocates but denounced by gun control supporters, as the loophole allows persons who would not be able to pass a Brady Act gun buyer background check to obtain firearms. The “gun show loophole” refers to the fact that most states do not require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals. Federal law requires background checks on guns sold by federally licensed dealers only.

That's not what Progressive Hunter is saying. He's saying there's a federal law that says you can't buy a gun at a sporting goods store or online or at a gun show anywhere in the country unless you pass the BC.
hate to break it to you but your opinion doesnt exist in the real world,,

hate to break it to you but your opinion doesnt exist in the real world,,

hate to break it to you but I ain't giving my opinion, I'm looking at the law. Far as I can tell, every retail or online store that sells guns requires a background check. But that is not necessarily true for gun shows if the seller isn't an FFL holder.

Arizona is one of 33 states that do not require background checks for firearm sales at gun shows, according to the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. At least one other state, Missouri, will consider tightening its law for gun show sales this year.

www.governing.com/archive/gov-state-gun-show-loophole-laws-policies.html

Specifically why and specifically how will it stop shootings of 4 or more people in one incident?

Walk us through….specifically.
SDT-2013-05-gun-crime-1-2.png

See that sudden plunge after 1993?

That's when the Brady Act was passed. The Brady Act is when federal background checks were first implemented.

Not a coincidence.

There you go. Background checks work. We need to plug the holes.

You're welcome.

SDT-2013-05-gun-crime-1-2.png

See that sudden plunge after 1993?

That's when the Brady Act was passed. The Brady Act is when federal background checks were first implemented.

Not a coincidence.

There you go. Background checks work. We need to plug the holes.

You're welcome.
How's that working between 2010 and 2022?

hate to break it to you but I ain't giving my opinion, I'm looking at the law. Far as I can tell, every retail or online store that sells guns requires a background check. But that is not necessarily true for gun shows if the seller isn't an FFL holder.

Arizona is one of 33 states that do not require background checks for firearm sales at gun shows, according to the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. At least one other state, Missouri, will consider tightening its law for gun show sales this year.

www.governing.com/archive/gov-state-gun-show-loophole-laws-policies.html
have you ever been to a gun show and purchased a gun without a BG check from an FFL?? I didnt think so,
and I live in missouri and been to dozens of shows and every FFL requires a background check so you may want to rethink your sources,,

have you ever been to a gun show and purchased a gun without a BG check from an FFL?? I didnt think so,
and I live in missouri and been to dozens of shows and every FFL requires a background check so you may want to rethink your sources,,
What you leave out is that many guns are sold at gun shows by private individuals nut subject to background checks

Do you understand the possibility that not every seller at a gun show is an FFL? I didn't think so.

Several states and the District of Columbia have their own gun show background check requirements. As of January 2021, 14 states require some kind of background checks at the point of sale and/or permits for all transfers, including purchases from unlicensed sellers. Missouri is not one of them.

Do you understand the possibility that not every seller at a gun show is an FFL? I didn't think so.

Several states and the District of Columbia have their own gun show background check requirements. As of January 2021, 14 states require some kind of background checks at the point of sale and/or permits for all transfers, including purchases from unlicensed sellers. Missouri is not one of them.
I spoke to that,, and you asked about dealers not private citizens,,

Forum List

Back