Why should there be “universal background checks” for firearms sales and transfers?

Not a federal law, right?

Has the Supreme Court ruled UBCs to be unconstitutional? I kinda doubt it, nobody's right to bear arms is infringed unless there are reasons to do so, and there are a number of states that require background checks. Texas does, I had to pass a background check before I could purchase my guns.

They need universal background checks to get gun registration...the actual reason they are pushing universal background checks...

Don't buy the lie......they want gun registration, couldn't care less about background checks.

Illegally possessing a firearm is the sole responsibility of the criminal. Private citizens have no more right to invade the privacy of others than the government does. The government itself has no Constitutional authority or right to know what citizens possess, whether guns or toaster ovens.

Yeah, but what about online or at gun shows?

Any dealer at a gun show has to do a background check....every single dealer.

Private sales do not....that includes a private sale at your home, at work, at the Denny's, or even if you are at a gun show selling your private gun......

They are lying to you about the "gun show loophole," which means you shouldn't trust anything they say or anything they want.

True, but if you are a non-FFL person at a gun show selling guns, a federal law ought to require proof of a background check by somebody at the gun show before the gun purchase is made. Right now there is no such law and I still see no reason why not.

There is a reason why not......the next step will be to demand gun registration, which they will claim is necessary for universal background checks...

They don't care about background checks....they want gun registratin.

SDT-2013-05-gun-crime-1-2.png

See that sudden plunge after 1993?

That's when the Brady Act was passed. The Brady Act is when federal background checks were first implemented.

Not a coincidence.

There you go. Background checks work. We need to plug the holes.

You're welcome.
Had nothing to do with it. Stricter prison sentencing, mass video surveillance, national crime fingerprint databases, and the introduction of DNA.

At gun shows, both official firearms retailers and private individuals sell and trade firearms to large numbers of potential buyers and traders. These gun transfers are not regulated by law in most states. This lack of regulation is called the "gun show loophole." It is praised by gun rights advocates but denounced by gun control supporters, as the loophole allows persons who would not be able to pass a Brady Act gun buyer background check to obtain firearms. The “gun show loophole” refers to the fact that most states do not require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals. Federal law requires background checks on guns sold by federally licensed dealers only.

That's not what Progressive Hunter is saying. He's saying there's a federal law that says you can't buy a gun at a sporting goods store or online or at a gun show anywhere in the country unless you pass the BC.

No...private sellers do not sell and trade firearms in large numbers, that is not true.

If a private seller sells a lot of guns, they have to become a FFL........

They don't tell you that because they are lying to you.

yes its a federal law that all FFL's do a background check anywhere they sell a gun,,
At gun shows, both official firearms retailers and private individuals sell and trade firearms to large numbers of potential buyers and traders. These gun transfers are not regulated by law in most states. This lack of regulation is called the "gun show loophole." It is praised by gun rights advocates but denounced by gun control supporters, as the loophole allows persons who would not be able to pass a Brady Act gun buyer background check to obtain firearms. The “gun show loophole” refers to the fact that most states do not require background checks for firearms sold or traded at gun shows by private individuals. Federal law requires background checks on guns sold by federally licensed dealers only.

That's not what Progressive Hunter is saying. He's saying there's a federal law that says you can't buy a gun at a sporting goods store or online or at a gun show anywhere in the country unless you pass the BC.

If you buy online, you have to go to a gun store, get a background check before you get the gun...

hate to break it to you but I ain't giving my opinion, I'm looking at the law. Far as I can tell, every retail or online store that sells guns requires a background check. But that is not necessarily true for gun shows if the seller isn't an FFL holder.

Arizona is one of 33 states that do not require background checks for firearm sales at gun shows, according to the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. At least one other state, Missouri, will consider tightening its law for gun show sales this year.

www.governing.com/archive/gov-state-gun-show-loophole-laws-policies.html

If he isn't an FFL he is a private seller and can sell that gun at home, a Denny's or a mall......the gun show geographic location is not special.....

SDT-2013-05-gun-crime-1-2.png

See that sudden plunge after 1993?

That's when the Brady Act was passed. The Brady Act is when federal background checks were first implemented.

Not a coincidence.

There you go. Background checks work. We need to plug the holes.

You're welcome.

Moron......that had nothing to do with it....criminals didn't get background checks, you doofus......we just started to lock up and keep locked up the violent criminals who were running around loose in the 1960s......

You are such a moron.....

Moron......that had nothing to do with it....criminals didn't get background checks, you doofus......we just started to lock up and keep locked up the violent criminals who were running around loose in the 1960s......

You are such a moron.....
He came off the rails when I asked about sales between 20110 and 2022.

How's that working between 2010 and 2022?

Actually, the date the increase started is 2015...when the democrat party decided to go to war on the police, when they decided to release violent gun offenders over and over again, and when they turned their brownshirts, blm and antifa, loose to burn, loot and murder in black neighborhoods....

Over 27 years, from 1993 to the year 2015, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 19.4 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2019 (in 2020 that number is 21.52 million)...guess what happened...

New Concealed Carry Report For 2020: 19.48 Million Permit Holders, 820,000 More Than Last Year despite many states shutting down issuing permits because of the Coronavirus - Crime Prevention Research Center

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

This means that access to guns does not create gun crime........

Why do our democrat party controlled cities have gun crime problems?

What changed in 2015?

The democrat party did 3 things...

1) they began a war on the police that forced officers to stop pro active police work, allowing criminals to run wild.

2) they began to release the most violent and dangerous gun offenders over and over again, not matter how many times they had been arrested for gun crimes

3) they used their brown shirts, blm/antifa to burn, loot and murder for 7 months in primarily black neighborhoods while the democrat party mayors ordered the police to stand down and not stop them......in order to hurt Trump during the election.

So you don’t believe that background checks on gun sales are necessary. Correct?

Yep...they don't do anything...

But....since we are trying to compromise, we will let you have the current background checks.......but no universal background checks so that you can then demand gun registration...

Actually, the date the increase started is 2015...when the democrat party decided to go to war on the police, when they decided to release violent gun offenders over and over again, and when they turned their brownshirts, blm and antifa, loose to burn, loot and murder in black neighborhoods....

Over 27 years, from 1993 to the year 2015, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 19.4 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2019 (in 2020 that number is 21.52 million)...guess what happened...

New Concealed Carry Report For 2020: 19.48 Million Permit Holders, 820,000 More Than Last Year despite many states shutting down issuing permits because of the Coronavirus - Crime Prevention Research Center

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

This means that access to guns does not create gun crime........

Why do our democrat party controlled cities have gun crime problems?

What changed in 2015?

The democrat party did 3 things...

1) they began a war on the police that forced officers to stop pro active police work, allowing criminals to run wild.

2) they began to release the most violent and dangerous gun offenders over and over again, not matter how many times they had been arrested for gun crimes

3) they used their brown shirts, blm/antifa to burn, loot and murder for 7 months in primarily black neighborhoods while the democrat party mayors ordered the police to stand down and not stop them......in order to hurt Trump during the election.
His stats should still support his data even in a gun sales increase. He got miffed, yet like you said, they have gone down.

What you leave out is that many guns are sold at gun shows by private individuals nut subject to background checks

And those aren't how criminals are getting their guns...or mass public shooters.

Okay, now that we have established that there is no federal law that prevents the sale of guns at a gun show by a seller that is not an FFL, what's the big deal about codifying that into federal law as far as gun shows are concerned? Some 14 states are already doing it by state law which has yet to be ruled unconstitutional, so what's the problem? If it denies even one person access to a gun that might be used in a shooting, why isn't that a good enough reason?

Because the seller would simply walk across the street........what about this do you not understand...the location of the gun show is not relevant......it is a private sale, and so can be done anywhere.....and if someone is selling too many guns, they get arrested if they aren't an FFL...

you cant prove a shooting didnt take place because of it,, only that it was delayed or method changed,,

So you're saying that we have to wait for a shooting to place place and people getting shot and/or killed to justify passing a UBC law?

and lets not forget the CDC claim that between 500K and 3million violent crimes are stopped each yr by guns,,

And that's great. you wanna tell me how a UBC federal law changes that in any way?

I will take your i shooting over that many crimes anyday of the week,,

Did you mean 1 shooting? How many shootings and killings does it take then? You can't seem to tell me how a UBC federal law changes the ability for any law-abiding citizen to buy a gun and use it if necessary.

and lets not forget how it has kept a corrupt government at bay for over 200 yrs,,,

And you believe a federal UBC law changes that? That's all we're talking about here, right? Closing the gun show loophole so that anybody wo buys a gun at a gun show has to pass a background check before the purchase can be finalized. Let's walk through it:

You go to a gun show anywhere and you find a gun you want to buy. The seller is not an FFL, so he/she says see that guy over there? He can do a background check for you in about a minute and sign your application as approved. Then you can buy the gun. Cash or charge?

That's it, so what's the problem? Whose 2nd Amendment rights have been infringed? You had to wait a minute or 2? BFD!

Now - what that does not fix is a private sale between 2 individuals, neither of whom has an FFL, somewhere else besides a gun show. I don't know that there's much that can be done about that, like grandpa gives his rifle or handgun to his grandson, right? The UBC law can't fix that, but no law is perfect and that's not a good reason not to try to prevent somebody from acquiring a gun that shouldn't have one.

No one said you do.

But if you sell a gun and aren’t an FFL no background check is required

That’s wrong

No, it isn't.......we have a little something called freedom in this country....I know, I know, you hate that about this country.....so if you sell private property, it is no ones business......

So you're saying that we have to wait for a shooting to place place and people getting shot and/or killed to justify passing a UBC law?

And that's great. you wanna tell me how a UBC federal law changes that in any way?

Did you mean 1 shooting? How many shootings and killings does it take then? You can't seem to tell me how a UBC federal law changes the ability for any law-abiding citizen to buy a gun and use it if necessary.

And you believe a federal UBC law changes that? That's all we're talking about here, right? Closing the gun show loophole so that anybody wo buys a gun at a gun show has to pass a background check before the purchase can be finalized. Let's walk through it:

You go to a gun show anywhere and you find a gun you want to buy. The seller is not an FFL, so he/she says see that guy over there? He can do a background check for you in about a minute and sign your application as approved. Then you can buy the gun. Cash or charge?

That's it, so what's the problem? Whose 2nd Amendment rights have been infringed? You had to wait a minute or 2? BFD!

Now - what that does not fix is a private sale between 2 individuals, neither of whom has an FFL, somewhere else besides a gun show. I don't know that there's much that can be done about that, like grandpa gives his rifle or handgun to his grandson, right? The UBC law can't fix that, but no law is perfect and that's not a good reason not to try to prevent somebody from acquiring a gun that shouldn't have one.
no thats not what I am saying,, now go back and read my comments again instead of misquoting me,,

Forum List

Back