Why should there be “universal background checks” for firearms sales and transfers?

theres already a law for that and its unconstitutional,,

Okay, now that we have established that there is no federal law that prevents the sale of guns at a gun show by a seller that is not an FFL, what's the big deal about codifying that into federal law as far as gun shows are concerned? Some 14 states are already doing it by state law which has yet to be ruled unconstitutional, so what's the problem? If it denies even one person access to a gun that might be used in a shooting, why isn't that a good enough reason?

Okay, now that we have established that there is no federal law that prevents the sale of guns at a gun show by a seller that is not an FFL, what's the big deal about codifying that into federal law as far as gun shows are concerned? Some 14 states are already doing it by state law which has yet to be ruled unconstitutional, so what's the problem? If it denies even one person access to a gun that might be used in a shooting, why isn't that a good enough reason?
You don't have to be a FFL to sell a gun.

youre moving the goal post,,,

you cant prove a shooting didnt take place because of it,, only that it was delayed or method changed,,

and lets not forget the CDC claim that between 500K and 3million violent crimes are stopped each yr by guns,,

I will take your i shooting over that many crimes anyday of the week,,

and lets not forget how it has kept a corrupt government at bay for over 200 yrs,,,

It is absolutely not

Yes it is.

Claim: There is a gun show “loophole.”
Fact: There is no gun show loophole.
Most of the vendors at gun shows — up to 75 percent
— are licensed dealers. i If you are a licensed firearms
dealer, you are allowed to sell at gun shows in your own
state. However, all the same rules apply. You must run
a federal background check on any individual you sell
a firearm to through the FBI’s National Instant Criminal
Background Check System (NICS). The same paperwork,
recordkeeping, age restrictions, and other rules also
apply, as if the sale occurred in the dealer’s place of
business.
Further, only a small percentage of tables at gun shows,
about 20 to 25 percent, actually sell firearms. The others
sell books, accessories or other items.

https://www3.nssf.org/share/factsheets/PDF/MythofGunShowLoophole.pdf

Specifically why and specifically how will it stop shootings of 4 or more people in one incident?

Walk us through….specifically.

:desk:

Oooh......ooooh......pick me......pick me!!!!!

Ahem......well........errrrrr........

Background checks won't stop mass public shootings.....because a mass public shooter can pass any background check, or they will commit murder to steal the guns they need......or they will use a straw buyer to get the gun they need.......

It makes it harder to get a gun. That is progress.

Again, it makes it harder to kill someone. Thats a win.

Fewer guns = fewer gun deaths.

No...that isn't true.....27 years of American experience proves you are wrong....

You have to explain the following...

Over 27 years, from 1993 to the year 2015, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 19.4 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2019 (in 2020 that number is 21.52 million)...guess what happened...

New Concealed Carry Report For 2020: 19.48 Million Permit Holders, 820,000 More Than Last Year despite many states shutting down issuing permits because of the Coronavirus - Crime Prevention Research Center

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

This means that access to guns does not create gun crime........

I see no good reason why a federal law should not be passed that requires a background check for any and every gun sold in a gun store, online, or gun show. Some states already do that, but IMHO every state should. Private sales are another matter, I don't think that can reasonably be done, BUT - if a crime is committed with a gun and the person with the gun has not passed a background check then that person should face additional penalties. I do not see how the 2nd Amendment rights of any law-abiding citizen would suffer under such a law. If I bought a gun via a private sale then I should make sure I have had a background check on myself done, and in fact there should be a website where anyone can do that. Moreover, if a gun owner discovers that any of his/her guns is missing then that person should file a report with the local police.

Look - there's no easy answer to the problem of gun violence and mass shootings. UBCs are not going to solve the problem, nobody is saying otherwise. But it can't hurt and if we keep a gun out of the hands of even one deranged shooter then isn't it worth it? I'm a gun owner myself, I passed a background check without issue, so why shouldn't every other wannabe gun owner do the same thing?

The democrats need the background checks on private sales to get gun registration....that is the only reason they want universal background checks...

You are right, if it was only a matter of keeping guns away from criminals, you could easily set up a simple system where anyone could check the criminal history of anyone they were going to sell a gun......name, birthday...just like when a cop pulls you over and asks for your drivers license....if you have a criminal history or warrants they show up...

That is all we would need....

A simple, free, phone app.....

But that doesn't give them gun registration...universal background checks do...

When guns are gone, somebody will come up with an alternative......humans are very ingenious.

640px-Suicide_Bomb_Vest.png

They don't even need that....the risk, the danger...

They just need a rental truck....

Las Vegas shooter...60 killed. the worst mass public shooting in the U.S.

A muslim terrorist in Nice, France, with a rental truck....no risk, no danger to acquire....80 killed in 5 minutes of driving.....

True, but if you are a non-FFL person at a gun show selling guns, a federal law ought to require proof of a background check by somebody at the gun show before the gun purchase is made. Right now there is no such law and I still see no reason why not.
That is covered in that pdf link.....an unlicensed person selling guns at a gun show is called a criminal.

I was referring to an individual selling his gun to a dealer, which would be FFL.

Claim: The law allows unlicensed dealers to sell guns at
gun shows.
Fact: Unlicensed dealers are criminals.
It is true that a background check and other
regulations do not apply if you are an individual that
wishes to occasionally sell a firearm from your personal
collection in a private transaction. This bright line is
clearly delineated in current law. If an individual is
“engaged in the business” of selling firearms, they must
be licensed. This is defined as, “a person who devotes
time, attention and labor to dealing in firearms as a
regular course of trade or business with the principal
objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive
purchase and resale of firearms.”
https://www3.nssf.org/share/factsheets/PDF/MythofGunShowLoophole.pdf

True, but if you are a non-FFL person at a gun show selling guns, a federal law ought to require proof of a background check by somebody at the gun show before the gun purchase is made. Right now there is no such law and I still see no reason why not.
it might be because the government has no business in private transactions,,

Forum List

Back