Why should there be “universal background checks” for firearms sales and transfers?

So you're saying that we have to wait for a shooting to place place and people getting shot and/or killed to justify passing a UBC law?

And that's great. you wanna tell me how a UBC federal law changes that in any way?

Did you mean 1 shooting? How many shootings and killings does it take then? You can't seem to tell me how a UBC federal law changes the ability for any law-abiding citizen to buy a gun and use it if necessary.

And you believe a federal UBC law changes that? That's all we're talking about here, right? Closing the gun show loophole so that anybody wo buys a gun at a gun show has to pass a background check before the purchase can be finalized. Let's walk through it:

You go to a gun show anywhere and you find a gun you want to buy. The seller is not an FFL, so he/she says see that guy over there? He can do a background check for you in about a minute and sign your application as approved. Then you can buy the gun. Cash or charge?

That's it, so what's the problem? Whose 2nd Amendment rights have been infringed? You had to wait a minute or 2? BFD!

Now - what that does not fix is a private sale between 2 individuals, neither of whom has an FFL, somewhere else besides a gun show. I don't know that there's much that can be done about that, like grandpa gives his rifle or handgun to his grandson, right? The UBC law can't fix that, but no law is perfect and that's not a good reason not to try to prevent somebody from acquiring a gun that shouldn't have one.
how would anyone know if I had a BG check on my gun??

So you're saying that we have to wait for a shooting to place place and people getting shot and/or killed to justify passing a UBC law?

And that's great. you wanna tell me how a UBC federal law changes that in any way?

Did you mean 1 shooting? How many shootings and killings does it take then? You can't seem to tell me how a UBC federal law changes the ability for any law-abiding citizen to buy a gun and use it if necessary.

And you believe a federal UBC law changes that? That's all we're talking about here, right? Closing the gun show loophole so that anybody wo buys a gun at a gun show has to pass a background check before the purchase can be finalized. Let's walk through it:

You go to a gun show anywhere and you find a gun you want to buy. The seller is not an FFL, so he/she says see that guy over there? He can do a background check for you in about a minute and sign your application as approved. Then you can buy the gun. Cash or charge?

That's it, so what's the problem? Whose 2nd Amendment rights have been infringed? You had to wait a minute or 2? BFD!

Now - what that does not fix is a private sale between 2 individuals, neither of whom has an FFL, somewhere else besides a gun show. I don't know that there's much that can be done about that, like grandpa gives his rifle or handgun to his grandson, right? The UBC law can't fix that, but no law is perfect and that's not a good reason not to try to prevent somebody from acquiring a gun that shouldn't have one.

Okay.....genius....

The mass public shooter in Buffalo, and Uvalde.....they passed the current federally mandated background checks ....

This means, genius.....they can pass any background check....even one if they bought the gun from a private seller...

So universal background checks don't stop mass shooters.......if they can't pass a background check they murder a gun owner and take their guns....

Criminals use straw buyers.....do you know what they are?

Straw buyers can pass any background check....even in a private sale...

So universal background checks do not stop criminals...especially since the democrat party prosecutors don't tend to punish straw buyers for selling guns to criminals...

So if universal background checks don't stop mass public shooters, and they don't stop criminals...why are the democrats using you as a useful idiot?

They need universal background checks to get to gun registration....

They will get universal background checks......

Mass shootings will still happen...

Criminals will continue to murder young black males in democrat party controlled cities...

When the next mass public shooting occurs where the shooter passed a background check.....you know, the Christmas day of gun control fanatics........they will pull out their wish list and ....

We now need universal gun registration...because obviously if we don't know who had the gun we don't know if a background check was done....

Will this have stopped the mass public shooting?

No....

Does it have anyting to do with mass public shootings in anyway?

No...

But what it is actually good for?

The emotional vulnerability of the uninformed Americans who will be stampeded in the next gun control push.....for gun registration.....

Don't be a useful idiot for gun grabbers.

There is no gun show loophole...

People can sell their private guns anywhere......the democrats focus on gun shows to lie to uninformed people on the issue of background checks.

Because the seller would simply walk across the street........what about this do you not understand...the location of the gun show is not relevant......it is a private sale, and so can be done anywhere.....and if someone is selling too many guns, they get arrested if they aren't an FFL...

Okay. A UBC law cannot prevent a private sale outside of a gun show, such a law is only going to cover a gun show where presumably a lot of guns are bought and sold. First of all, if you walk across the street to buy a gun so you can avoid the BC, then you ain't what I'd call a law-abiding citizen. The law-abiding citizens will buy a gun legally and go through the BC process. It's the crooks and crazies who will have to buy a gun on the street, but at least we made it harder on them and just maybe somebody doesn't acquire a gun that they otherwise would have. I dunno, is it all that easy to buy a gun on the street? Maybe it's a small chance to preclude a shooting, but it is not a chance we should pass up, because the rest of us are not denied our 2nd Amendment rights.

Do we have to wait until people are shot and killed by somebody with a gun that was bought at a gun show from a non-FFL seller? I'm not seeing the justification to deny a federal UBC law.

Okay.....genius....

The mass public shooter in Buffalo, and Uvalde.....they passed the current federally mandated background checks ....

This means, genius.....they can pass any background check....even one if they bought the gun from a private seller...

So universal background checks don't stop mass shooters.......if they can't pass a background check they murder a gun owner and take their guns....

Criminals use straw buyers.....do you know what they are?

Straw buyers can pass any background check....even in a private sale...

So universal background checks do not stop criminals...especially since the democrat party prosecutors don't tend to punish straw buyers for selling guns to criminals...

So if universal background checks don't stop mass public shooters, and they don't stop criminals...why are the democrats using you as a useful idiot?

They need universal background checks to get to gun registration....

They will get universal background checks......

Mass shootings will still happen...

Criminals will continue to murder young black males in democrat party controlled cities...

When the next mass public shooting occurs where the shooter passed a background check.....you know, the Christmas day of gun control fanatics........they will pull out their wish list and ....

We now need universal gun registration...because obviously if we don't know who had the gun we don't know if a background check was done....

Will this have stopped the mass public shooting?

No....

Does it have anyting to do with mass public shootings in anyway?

No...

But what it is actually good for?

The emotional vulnerability of the uninformed Americans who will be stampeded in the next gun control push.....for gun registration.....

Don't be a useful idiot for gun grabbers.
All that to say....the gun grabbers just need to keep pushing incremental infringement and never solve the problem. Then the commies will control all the government guns and we will be fucked.

So....NO

There will be nothing but repeal from here on out.

no thats not what I am saying,, now go back and read my comments again instead of misquoting me,,
I don't know what you're saying, and I'm not going to review whatever you wrote except to say that so far I haven't read anything from you that offers a good reason to prevent a federal UBC law.

I don't know what you're saying, and I'm not going to review whatever you wrote except to say that so far I haven't read anything from you that offers a good reason to prevent a federal UBC law.
well I spelled it out in detail,,
if I was stopped by a cop with a gun how would he know if I had a BG check??

"freedom" for people who can't pass a background check to buy a gun?

So.......if you are so big on background checks...

Would you support a free, simple App, that would allow anyone to check the criminal and mental health background of anyone put into it using a birthdate, and name and maybe a social security number without a permanent record....?

You know, if all you care about is just getting background checks done....right?

how would anyone know if I had a BG check on my gun??

Irrelevant. Once you've got the gun it's too late. LOL, if you're pointing a gun at me, the last thing I'm going to do is ask you if you went through a BC. And if you ain't pointing a gun at me then I don't give a shit. All I want to do is try to make it harder for you to get that gun in the 1st place if you can't pass a BC. That's it.

Let's try this one more time. We're trying to prevent people who should not have a gun from buying one at a gun show from a seller who doesn't have an FFL. Are we clear about that? Yes, someone who is NOT a law-abiding citizen can go across the street and buy a gun without the BC, assuming you can find such a person who will sell you one. I would imagine that is a pretty risky proposition though, you might get your ass shot and robbed by the people you want to buy the gun from. Or that guy might be an undercover ATF agent or a cop. A law-abiding citizen who wants to buy a gun at a gun show will be inconvenienced for a few minutes to do the BC, but he/she already knows that will be the case before they ever went to a gun show in the 1st place.

So - WTF is the problem here? We made it harder for a crook or a crazy to obtain a gun without going through a BC, why is that a bad thing?

Irrelevant. Once you've got the gun it's too late. LOL, if you're pointing a gun at me, the last thing I'm going to do is ask you if you went through a BC. And if you ain't pointing a gun at me then I don't give a shit. All I want to do is try to make it harder for you to get that gun in the 1st place if you can't pass a BC. That's it.

Let's try this one more time. We're trying to prevent people who should not have a gun from buying one at a gun show from a seller who doesn't have an FFL. Are we clear about that? Yes, someone who is NOT a law-abiding citizen can go across the street and buy a gun without the BC, assuming you can find such a person who will sell you one. I would imagine that is a pretty risky proposition though, you might get your ass shot and robbed by the people you want to buy the gun from. Or that guy might be an undercover ATF agent or a cop. A law-abiding citizen who wants to buy a gun at a gun show will be inconvenienced for a few minutes to do the BC, but he/she already knows that will be the case before they ever went to a gun show in the 1st place.

So - WTF is the problem here? We made it harder for a crook or a crazy to obtain a gun without going through a BC, why is that a bad thing?
you just explained why UBC wont work,,,

now go back to playing with your barbie dolls,,,

No....as one of the other posters pointed out.....

How do you know as a government agent if a background check was done on that sale if universal background checks become the law?

You don't........unless you register all guns.....

That is the point...the democrats do not care about background checks...they want gun registration......

What about that is so hard for you to understand?

Ask any of the gun grabbers here if they would be happy with a free APP.....where you can load a drivers license, name, birthdate in and see any and all criminal history or mental health committments of the individual..

This is all the information you would need to know if you want to sell the gun to the other guy.....

And no permanent record of the inquiry....

Now...you go and ask the democrat party gun grabbers if that would be okay for them......

Free, simple, no record keeping....it does a background check with no registration or record....

It does exactly what you say you want, but doesn't give them what they actually want...

See what they say.

This...for civilians.....but in a free App.......

So - nobody has a valid reason not to pass a federal UBC law, or at least I haven't seen one. We don't know how many guns have been bought at a gun show from a non-FFL seller where no BC was done, but I guess that's okay. We don't know how many shootings have occurred by someone with one of those guns, not just a mass shooting but any shooting. We don't know that, but I guess that's okay. And until such a federal UBC law is passed we don't know how many people will be shot in the future as a result, but I guess that's okay too.

Would any law-abiding citizen be denied his/her 2nd Amendment rights? NO. They gotta pass a BC anyway to buy a gun at a store that sells them or online, or even from an FFL vender at a gun show.

But who does get denied their 2nd Amendment rights? The people who can't pass a BC. Maybe they'll get a gun some other way, by stealing one or buying one on the street or through a 3rd party that can pass the BC. That UBC law wouldn't be perfect, right? All it does is close off one avenue to acquire a gun, and IMHO that is not a bad thing. And the thing is this, how is anyone else harmed? It's no skin off my ass, right? Or yours, so where's the beef?

With that, I'm done here. Have a nice day.

Forum List

Back