why the bible alone concept is false

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
This has been on my mind the last few days. Pay close attention to the question posed:

“After writing the account given of the Savior’s ministry to the remnant of the seed of Jacob, upon this continent, it was easy to be seen, as the prophet said it would be, that darkness covered the earth and gross darkness the minds of the people. On reflecting further it was as easy to be seen that amid the great strife and noise concerning religion, none had authority from God to administer the ordinances of the Gospel. For the question might be asked, have men authority to administer in the name of Christ, who deny revelations, when His testimony is no less than the spirit of prophecy, and His religion based, built, and sustained by immediate revelations, in all ages of the world when He has had a people on earth? If these facts were buried, and carefully concealed by men whose craft would have been in danger if once permitted to shine in the faces of men, they were no longer to us; and we only waited for the commandment to be given ‘Arise and be baptized.’ (Oliver Cowdery concerning the restoration of the priesthood)
like I said the question has been on my mind the last few days. In order to know Christ one has to receive revelation from the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the one that teaches us the truth of Christ. He is the one that changes our hearts. It's by the Holy Spirit that the Apostles received their testimony of who Christ is. It is the Holy Spirit who came and gave them power to change the world.

in fact, the Christian world testifies that the Holy Ghost is part of the trinity. That He is God. Which creates quite a conundrum because most of them also say the Bible is all God has spoken for us.

the bible clearly teaches us we learn the things of God from the Spirit. If the Spirit is speaking then so is God. And the words the Spirit teaches us are sacred and the Word of God.

if every word the spirit teaches is the word of God can the Bible be all there is? Not unless the Spirit of God ceases to speak with men and if the Spirit ceases to speak to men, then no one can know Jesus is the Christ. No one can experience the change of heart and be born again. Therefore can anyone who truly believes God says nothing except what's in the Bible be born again or act in His authority?

I don't see how it's possible. But it has always been easier to use ones own understanding of past revelations to others than to have the faith to seek your own.u

If the Bible alone is enough, what did people do before there was a Bible?

I asked my rabbi a similar question concerning the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. "Why were they destroyed prior to the giving of Torah and the Law? How could they be held responsible for breaking laws that weren't yet given?"

His answer was that humankind was under Noahide Law at that time which covered what they were punished for. Following the Flood, all human life was under these 7 laws. And remain so today. According to Jewish theology at any rate.

The Bible is stories or traditions handed down over the years, and progression of thoughts about God, the Hebrews used history for a lot of their writing, and the NT due to the temple destroyed the view of God changed as being inside and spiritual.
Tells more about man and culture of those who wrote it and their views about God.

So why won't God reveal himself to me? :dunno:

Ahhhh
To put it in its most literal form::

"God has, but you are too stupid to realize that!"

That is how I interpret the response, no matter how nicely it is put. So don't feel bad, we are both stupid in terms of revelations by God.

Ahhhh
To put it in its most literal form::

"God has, but you are too stupid to realize that!"

That is how I interpret the response, no matter how nicely it is put. So don't feel bad, we are both stupid in terms of revelations by God.

I don't think you are stupid at all. But if that's how you want to see it, I can't stop you.

because you aren't prepared.

Arrgghhhh

That explanation can be taken in many ways!!

Drats!! Avatar has foiled me again!!:crybaby:

and then suggested I am calling myself stupid--which I could very well be in terms of my aptitude to recieve revelations from God....

:eusa_doh:I just confirmed it, didn't I?

we are all at different stages of learning. Is someone who is still learning basic math stupid because they don't understand calculus? Or are they just still learning the basics?

many have not received revelation from God simply because they don't know how to start or where to look.

I asked my rabbi a similar question concerning the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. "Why were they destroyed prior to the giving of Torah and the Law? How could they be held responsible for breaking laws that weren't yet given?"

His answer was that humankind was under Noahide Law at that time which covered what they were punished for. Following the Flood, all human life was under these 7 laws. And remain so today. According to Jewish theology at any rate.

Delta, the Bible says that sin is the transgression of the Law. It further states that where there is no Law, sin is not imputed.

God does not look upon the death of the physical being with much concern. It is the death of the spiritual being that God is concerned. God is merciful. We often forget that. Christ is God. Christ did not stone that woman caught in adultery to death. He didn't rave on and preach or damn her. He simply said, "Go and sin no more." Be thankful that Christ will judge. Were most of these "Christians" to judge today, we would all be damned.

Christ said it would be more tolerable for Sodom, Gomorrah, Tyre, etc. They had not the Law, the Prophets, the Gospel. God knows this and will be merciful because he realizes this. It is we of today who have the Bible and a church on every corner who have no excuse.

Grace is getting something you do not deserve.
Mercy is NOT getting something you deserve.

Have a good day and God bless.

if God didn't look at the death of the physical body with concern He would not have sent His Son to cause the resurrection. Nor would He have given us laws to govern how life is created or ended in this life. Or laws to govern our health.

death of the body is important because our bodies are part of our soul. The resurrection is important because of that

if God didn't look at the death of the physical body with concern He would not have sent His Son to cause the resurrection. Nor would He have given us laws to govern how life is created or ended in this life. Or laws to govern our health.

death of the body is important because our bodies are part of our soul. The resurrection is important because of that

Agreed but it is nowhere as important as is ones spiritual death. I see all those people killed in Sodom and Gomorrah as having human life again one day else why would Christ have made His "more tolerable" statement?

I think I finally understand the question.

If it is in teaching the religions "spiritual message" and these revelations are key, then the answer should be no. They could turn away converts and miscommunicate basic concepts.

However, if it is in terms of non-spiritual matters, like the accounting or so forth, then it should not matter. Although it is advisable to entrust your own first, hiring outside help or expertise may be necessary.

Wait a sec, I'm an atheist. You better hold what I said tentatively(if you read it)--we are always trying to inform people of the "evils of religion"!

we are all at different stages of learning. Is someone who is still learning basic math stupid because they don't understand calculus? Or are they just still learning the basics?

many have not received revelation from God simply because they don't know how to start or where to look.

I wanted to expound this a bit further.

While suffering in The ironically named Liberty jail, Joseph Smith received some of the greatest revelations I know of. One of them was as followed:

For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—

Therefore, that we should waste and wear out our lives in bringing to light all the hidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven— (D&C 123:12-13)
That tells me that there are many who lack direction, not because they are stupid. They are simply lost. They don't know where to go.

Have you ever had a project where you knew you had to get a certain thing done but didn't have any idea how to accomplish it? was it because you were stupid? No. Because everyone has something they dont know how to do at some point in their life. Sometimes it takes time to figure things out. To prepare to get answers. Sometimes we have to think it through and make mistakes and reevaluate.

Also remember, the original post. There is a gross darkness covering the eyes of people. Not only of their own doing. Many times it's a condition of our culture or what we've been taught. But the problem with darkness is we don't really know we are covered in it until the light shines forth. Christ is the light in the darkness, but the darkness didn't comprehend Him.

not in this thread. Has anyone said the bible isn't true?

For the question might be asked, have men authority to administer in the name of Christ, who deny revelations, when His testimony is no less than the spirit of prophecy, and His religion based, built, and sustained by immediate revelations, in all ages of the world when He has had a people on earth?
is it your argument that there is something necessary for salvation which is not found in the Bible?.....

Forum List

Back