Why the Guns vs. Cars argument is flawed.

Of course cars kill more people yearly. Every single day, a couple hundred MILLION people in America activate and engage in the use of a car. Every day.

If 200,000,000 people per day ACTIVELY took up and used a gun, for its intended use, every single day, there would be just as many, if not more, deaths.

Today...in an hour or so....tens of millions of people will activate a car for its intended use, and use it. How many MILLIONS of people will activate a gun for it's intended use today? Far fewer. There will be a few dozen shootings today between gang members. Somewhere in America there will be a handful of police shootings. I wont count hunting, because thats a sport, just as we wouldnt count NASCAR with car statistics because thats a sport.

So, today, I'd say 150,000,000 people will activate and use a car for it's intended purpose.

And today, I'd say at most 200 people will activate and use a gun for it's intended purpose (and thats a high estimate).

Over the course of 365 days, with that cycle repeating daily, OF COURSE more people will die from cars than guns. Its a bad argument statistically, because the use of a car is so astronomically higher daily than the use of guns.

The correct stat would read: For every 10 times a gun or car is activated for it's intended use (outside of sports like hunting/racing), how many times is a person hurt? When a gun gets activated, it is to kill people (good or bad). When a car is activated, millions of times daily, people die...but not that often. With guns, someone usually dies or is severely hurt.

Its a flawed argument. If 150,000,000 people today pulled out a gun and used it for it's intended purpose, would more people die than will be killed on the roadways by cars? Yes.

People need cars or transportation to work in our society. There are times a gun is needed and times it isn't.

If you are hunting, you need a gun. You can do it with a bow, but let's face it, why make the animal you want to kill suffer in the process. A gun with shooting target practice can eliminate that suffering. If you want to protect your home, you need a dog and not a gun. If you want to target practice with a gun, you need a gun. A responsible gun owner who uses a gun to target practice would have trigger locks when storing that gun in their home, just like a responsible hunter would. They wouldn't allow that gun to have the potential of being fired by anyone except them on the firing range or when they were hunting. I concur that shooting at targets is a legitimate sport in itself, while hunting can be a sport or a necessity. I've never considered hunting a sport I'd be involved with, but I have no problems with shooting game for food and it's possible someone might have to shoot an animal to protect themselves or their property. If you think you need a gun to take on the government or protect your liberties, you need a shrink and not a gun. Take your dog to the shrink with you, because it's probably having problems too!

Tell you what.

I'll allow you, and you alone to make those decisions for the rest of us IF you allow me to do the same.

I don't like football. In fact, I see no reason to play the game. Too many people are injured every year playing it, some have died. Others have become confined to wheelchairs.

Imagine the emotional toll that takes on their families. Imagine being the player who, when tackling another player, breaks their neck or back and either kills them or puts them into a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.

Look at the numbers of people, 4,000 former players are suing the NFL and Riddel helmets, for damages they got playing the game.

It's time to ban Football. It's not a "sport". It's a bloodbath.

I have no involvement with professional sports, but like any sport, there could be a human need for it. There is no human need in America to think small arms are going to overthrow or protect you from the gubmint. It's possible to live in a jungle in America, where you do need a gun to protect yourself, but what you really need is to move away from the jungle. It isn't like you are running away, it's like there is this nice home over there that is better than the one you have and you'll work to have the nice home, instead of what you presently have. There is nothing wrong with having the goal to get out of a shitty neighborhood and accomplishing your goal. Even a shitty neighborhood has good things in it, but that doesn't mean you have to put up with the bad things to have those good things. I'm able to live without locking my doors, without having a gun and without worries of home intrusion, so I know it can be done.

Your type thinks using common sense is controlling and making decisions for you. What the hell is wrong with someone getting into the habit of using trigger locks, when a weapon shouldn't be fired? It's possible for a child to locate a gun and the ammo, but the child can't fire the weapon with a trigger lock. It doesn't take a child long to get into mischief and no one can watch a child every moment of the day. The irony is your lack of common sense is what's controlling and making decisions for you. Being stuck on dumb dictates your life.

It's like the 30000+ deaths by gun each year. Gun nutters can't come out and say that those deaths are a cost of allowing You gun nutters want to act like you live in a vacumn. That there is no longer cause and effect. Weird..

We do not allow "pretty much unrestricted access to guns by most anybody".

Anyone who has actually bought a gun knows this.

Are you shitting me. You think criminals, mentally defectives and felons can not get guns?
You are not that stupid. I have read what you write. Wtf are you talking about. I know a convicted felon right now that has a gun. Bought off the street with no problem. You must live in lala land is all I can figure.

I only wish we could do half the things we did to make driving safer to make guns safer

I only wish Progressives would relocate to countries that already have unarmed citizens and redistributive economic system because they're wasting their time here

and guns were designed to protect people.

Through violence. Listen you can play semantics games all day long. Guns are only effective because they use violence to achieve their result. Even just the threat of violence is still using a basis of violence as their intended purpose.

vi·o·lence (v-lns) KEY

NOUN: Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating, damaging, or abusing

violence - Dictionary definition and pronunciation - Yahoo! Education

Exactly. Thanks for finally understanding.

I only wish Progressives would relocate to countries that already have unarmed citizens and redistributive economic system because they're wasting their time here

Your point of view on guns is the minority point of view in America, so you leave, fool! Do the country a favor for a change!

Threat.
A threat is not violence.

And what makes that threat effective.....you're almost there. Come on I know you can do it.

A threat of violence is not violence.

If I threaten to kill you is it murder?

Of course not. Even you must be able to see that.

Are you really this slow? Guns are built with violence in mind. Nothing more.

Keep playing semantics games, that's always the sign of last ditch desperation.

Are you shitting me. You think criminals, mentally defectives and felons can not get guns?
You are not that stupid. I have read what you write. Wtf are you talking about. I know a convicted felon right now that has a gun. Bought off the street with no problem. You must live in lala land is all I can figure.

They are breaking the law. That is the problem.

We are not allowing it.

Where did I say that you tool? I am speaking as a law abiding person because even if you can't imagine it, all gun owners don't think like criminals.

And how are you going to end illegal sales of guns? With background checks?

Bought off the street. ILLEGALLY.

Why haven't you turned him in?

If 200,000,000 people per day ACTIVELY took up and used a gun, for its intended use, every single day, there would be just as many, if not more, deaths.

You have evidence of this?

Well, let's see! Five people shot in three incidents at gun shows and we want 200 million to actually use the gun each day! There wouldn't be any people left to kill.

Guns are made for one purpose and one purpose only. To kill something.
Yes they can be used for target shooting but that is not why they exist.

Cars are not made to kill, but yes they can be used for that purpose just as virtually anything can be used to kill.

And what makes that threat effective.....you're almost there. Come on I know you can do it.

A threat of violence is not violence.

If I threaten to kill you is it murder?

Of course not. Even you must be able to see that.

Are you really this slow? Guns are built with violence in mind. Nothing more.

Keep playing semantics games, that's always the sign of last ditch desperation.

Funny how I have owned guns for 40 years and have never ever used one for violence. Seems to me that guns and violence are not at all related.

Violence resides in people not in guns. I am not a violent person even though I own weapons.

You have evidence of this?

Well, let's see! Five people shot in three incidents at gun shows and we want 200 million to actually use the gun each day! There wouldn't be any people left to kill.

So now accidental shootings are called gun use?

OK, Stretch.

Of course cars kill more people yearly. Every single day, a couple hundred MILLION people in America activate and engage in the use of a car. Every day....
Anyone can support a premise when he makes up the numbers that support it.
:cuckoo:

Make up numbers?

Excuse me, but he's absolutely correct. On average 220 million people(that number might even be old, so it's probably more now) drive cars every day.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back