Why was the ark sealed with pitch on the inside?

The answer reveals the incredible detail the story reveals. The inside of the ark was sealed to prevent noxious outgassing of the wood it was made of. Cedar and cypress were species that grew in the region that have this characteristic. Until these fumes abate they can be quite sickening.

Except the ark was made of gopher wood ...
My thought was to keep the ark water tight ... pitch and coat each layer of the hull ... so why not finish on the inside ...
In other words ... don't we pitch the inside of all boats? ...

I guess you didn't see the movie, because Noah was something od a dim-witted sheepherder, not a shipwright, so just easy stuff any mariner would know would have to be explained in detail to poor Noah ... like pitching the inside of his boat ...

My thought was to keep the ark water tight ... pitch and coat each layer of the hull ... so why not finish on the inside ...
In other words ... don't we pitch the inside of all boats? ...

I guess you didn't see the movie, because Noah was something od a dim-witted sheepherder, not a shipwright, so just easy stuff any mariner would know would have to be explained in detail to poor Noah ... like pitching the inside of his boat ...
please tell me you arent using the movie for a reference???

if it was all god inspired dont you think god would just snap his fingers and give noah all the knowledge he needed to build it??

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... what? ...

if it was all god inspired dont you think god would just snap his fingers and give noah all the knowledge he needed to build it??

Right, that's how things were supposed to go ... but man fell short and partook of the fruit of the tree of good and evil knowledge ... and God's blessing were stripped off of man ... or so goes the mythology ... "It might be the easy way, but it wouldn't be the cowboy way" ...

Why didn't God just snap his fingers and kill off the sinners? ... instead of some fool flood ... why did Noah have to pair off the animals when God could have snapped his fingers and saved them all ...

Why gopher wood? ... God could have snapped his fingers and built the USS Iowa ...

HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW ... what? ...

Right, that's how things were supposed to go ... but man fell short and partook of the fruit of the tree of good and evil knowledge ... and God's blessing were stripped off of man ... or so goes the mythology ... "It might be the easy way, but it wouldn't be the cowboy way" ...

Why didn't God just snap his fingers and kill off the sinners? ... instead of some fool flood ... why did Noah have to pair off the animals when God could have snapped his fingers and saved them all ...

Why gopher wood? ... God could have snapped his fingers and built the USS Iowa ...
why are you asking me a question you should be asking god??

hey which movie are you using as a reference??
noah with the gladiator guy or evan all mighty with the little short guy??

Scholars have not determined what species "gopher wood" actually was. However, cedar and cypress were common there and grew to great heights, making them ideal for the building the ark.

Although this comment is pretty funny.

Noah hacked down whole forests of “gopher wood” (Genesis 6:14), taking every single tree for his Ark, which would explain why we can no longer have any gopher wood in the whole world.

Last edited:

God did snap his fingers in the very beginning. Since then he has used process combined with finger snaps to do stuff.

The "Noah" movie revealed how the ark was ventilated, so it was actually a good reference.

The "Evan Almighty" film was the best representation of the ark regarding the scale of the timbers used that I have seen. Most depictions are rather silly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back