Women of USMB.....How many of you have been sexually harassed?

Sexual harassment - or behavior that a "victim" might believe is sexual harassment - is ubiquitous.

"In that outfit, you look good enough to eat!"

Is that sexual harassment? Would many women feel flattered by the remark? Would that depend on who is making it?

I have known many women at work (when I worked) who assumed that certain "slights" were because they were a woman, when the fact was the slights were because of their job performance, competence, or attitude, and had nothing to do with gender.

But let's be honest, how many women today are in positions of power and authority that they have no business being in, just because "Management" wanted to elevate a woman? Chiefs of Police? Heads of departments? They are all over the place.

There are different levels of sexual harassment....
From crude/unwelcome remarks up to "If you want this job, you have to have sex with me"
Sexual harassment - or behavior that a "victim" might believe is sexual harassment - is ubiquitous.

Is that sexual harassment? Would many women feel flattered by the remark? Would that depend on who is making it?

I have known many women at work (when I worked) who assumed that certain "slights" were because they were a woman, when the fact was the slights were because of their job performance, competence, or attitude, and had nothing to do with gender.

But let's be honest, how many women today are in positions of power and authority that they have no business being in, just because "Management" wanted to elevate a woman? Chiefs of Police? Heads of departments? They are all over the place.

From crude/unwelcome remarks up to "If you want this job, you have to have sex with me"

------------------------------------------------------ SO WHAT , go to the cops or get a Lawyer and act like an ADULT as you follow proper procedures . And then the excuses fly that hey , i need a paycheck to pay my bills and feed the kids and make rent . Which really means , hey i put up with the harassment for the money . And then SOME of the women want to be treated as brave responsible ADULT people when what they really want is the MONEY and to be treated as SPECIAL protected people RWinger .
You are an asshole

Ok, here goes, I never told this to anyone, but should have told my parents. When I was about 8 or 9 we lived in Hot Springs and there was one kid named Avant, or something like that. He was around 18 and had a car. He was always hanging out with the kiddies showing them cool stuff like how to make rockets with CO2 cartridges. One day he drove up to the house where I lived and asked me if I wanted to go bird hunting with him. I said sure and went in and grabbed my BB gun. He drove to a secluded spot in the cemetery and stopped the car. Then instead of bb guns, he pulled out his pecker and started masturbating in the car! I started crying and then he grabs my crotch and started rubbing me! I cried more and screamed and he stopped and took me home. Never saw the sick fuck again and never told anyone. I think that's what made me start stuttering for my whole life. To this day if I found him I would beat that sick bastard half to death!

Oh, there was a time also when a couple (a man and a woman - scummy looking in a scummy looking car), pulled over and asked me if I was interested in becoming a model. I backed away from them and said, on no uncertain terms, NO. Then they started trying to talk to me and asked me "where do the kids hang out around here?" I said, "I don't know," and I walked away in the opposite direction. I also had a guy, when I was about 9 years old come up to me and ask me if my parents spanked me. I said yes, and then he kissed me on the cheek. I was petrified and didn't know what to do. I ran to my friends house in tears and they called the cops. I remember having to go to the police department with my parents and pick out pictures. That guy scared the shit out of me. He was creepy as hell.

You're previous two posts made me cringe. I can't imagine what you went through!

The worst thing was when my friend was molested. She and I would cry together and I would hold her. It pretty much destroyed her.

I usually use this line for pot smoking, but it applies here also. The OP should have included assault also, cuz harassment is usually a workplace word.

Anyhoo, here it goes

Of my generation, there are two types of women.

(1) Those who have been harassed AND assaulted

(2) and LIARS

When I was in my early thirties became a gym rat and got in great shape. At work a 5'0' 300 lb or more chick would corner me when she could and be all flirty with me. I was too nice to tell her to go to hell.
Now I'm old and fat... so I don't have to worry about that kind of thing any more.
I do not think this reached the level of sexual harassment....but I did fell quite uncomfortable. And some of my other coworkers would laugh about it.

Flirting is not sexual harassment
Unless you are informed that it is not welcome and you are asked to stop

Over the years at the company I work for, I've had to endure several mandatory classes on sexual harassment.

Yet, not one single time have I ever been sexually harassed.

Which leads me to believe these classes are a big waste of time. ..... :cool:

Exactly what mr sg says. :2up:

I've not been sexually harassed by male coworkers or bosses. I have been subjected to unequal pay for equal work, as well as an restrictive dress code. Though men had a dress code too. This was also 40 years ago, and I don't consider those sexual in nature. It was societal role driven - men have families to support was the rationale. Much of that has changed.

Sexual harassment, unlike sexual assault, has no real definition - no definitive lines to cross, no expiration date. In some respects like charges of Hate Speech...a matter of perception, memory, or emotional response. But accusations of sexual harassment can ruin someone's life/career - even if the accused remembers the events as a shared response, consensual...or not at all.

It is astonishing that some of my sisters want to be treated 'equally' until they don't...that there is no difference between the sexes...until there is. On the job - you fellas better keep your hands in your pockets, never be alone with a female co-worker, forget offering sympathy or advice, and remember the wisdom in the old saying...'Hell hath no fury..."

Assault is another issue.

In my discussions with women, most have stories of times they have been sexually harassed to varying degrees

It can range from rude statements to touching to near rape

How did you handle it?
Would you prefer to just handle it yourself or do you encourage society to get involved?
What do you think should be done with the men?

Rude comments are none of society's business.

Touching or near rape you call the police.

I usually use this line for pot smoking, but it applies here also. The OP should have included assault also, cuz harassment is usually a workplace word.

Anyhoo, here it goes

(2) and LIARS

"Harassment is usually in the workplace world"

Well, you are wrong. Happens to girls and women anywhere/everywhere.

------------------------------------------------------ SO WHAT , go to the cops or get a Lawyer and act like an ADULT as you follow proper procedures . And then the excuses fly that hey , i need a paycheck to pay my bills and feed the kids and make rent . Which really means , hey i put up with the harassment for the money . And then SOME of the women want to be treated as brave responsible ADULT people when what they really want is the MONEY and to be treated as SPECIAL protected people RWinger .
You are an asshole
------------------------------- thankyou , if harassed go to the cops , lawyers , official , teacher , official , thats the PROPER procedure RWinger .

Over the years at the company I work for, I've had to endure several mandatory classes on sexual harassment.

I've not been sexually harassed by male coworkers or bosses. I have been subjected to unequal pay for equal work, as well as an restrictive dress code. Though men had a dress code too. This was also 40 years ago, and I don't consider those sexual in nature. It was societal role driven - men have families to support was the rationale. Much of that has changed.

Sexual harassment, unlike sexual assault, has no real definition - no definitive lines to cross, no expiration date. In some respects like charges of Hate Speech...a matter of perception, memory, or emotional response. But accusations of sexual harassment can ruin someone's life/career - even if the accused remembers the events as a shared response, consensual...or not at all.

It is astonishing that some of my sisters want to be treated 'equally' until they don't...that there is no difference between the sexes...until there is. On the job - you fellas better keep your hands in your pockets, never be alone with a female co-worker, forget offering sympathy or advice, and remember the wisdom in the old saying...'Hell hath no fury..."

I remember we used to have this creepy old guy in our office. In his 60s
The women in the office would complain that he would accidentally rub up against them at the copy machine or accidentally brush his hand across their breasts

He was "encouraged" to retire

You are an asshole
------------------------------- thankyou , if harassed go to the cops , lawyers , official , teacher , official , thats the PROPER procedure RWinger .

No, I'm serious
You are an asshole

Anyhoo, here it goes

(2) and LIARS

What you are describing is assault & yes it does! Harrassment is assult in the workplace or when power is involved ~ like with a cop who stops you for a ticket

You are an asshole
----------------------------------------------------- [chuckle] , i am simply a common sense 68 year old American male you simpering Snowflake RWinger . :afro:

I don't necessarily disagree. Some people make bogus accusations, like over a harmless joke or a harmless gesture that is meant to be humorous. I don't really consider those things to be harassment, but there are certain men and certain environments where it does cross a line and can make a person feel at least very uncomfortable about even going to work. These types of people who are harassing coworkers are not an "asset" to any company/business. They are nothing but a liability and that is why a lot of companies would just as soon get rid of them ASAP. There is a level of professionalism that we, as women, should be able to expect in the work place, IMO. What if you had a coworker who practically licked his lips every time he saw you at work and made off hand sexual remarks about you? You would feel creeped out at the very least and would probably ask that someone do something to stop it. I'm sure the same thing happens to men, but it doesn't even have to be in a sexual manner. Harassing someone is harassing them, and that should not ever happen when you are at work.

Ok, here goes, I never told this to anyone, but should have told my parents. When I was about 8 or 9 we lived in Hot Springs and there was one kid named Avant, or something like that. He was around 18 and had a car. He was always hanging out with the kiddies showing them cool stuff like how to make rockets with CO2 cartridges. One day he drove up to the house where I lived and asked me if I wanted to go bird hunting with him. I said sure and went in and grabbed my BB gun. He drove to a secluded spot in the cemetery and stopped the car. Then instead of bb guns, he pulled out his pecker and started masturbating in the car! I started crying and then he grabs my crotch and started rubbing me! I cried more and screamed and he stopped and took me home. Never saw the sick fuck again and never told anyone. I think that's what made me start stuttering for my whole life. To this day if I found him I would beat that sick bastard half to death!

There are all kids of weirdos out there who target kids BECAUSE they are vulnerable. Sick bastards.

You are an asshole

No, I'm serious
You are an asshole
---------------------------------------------- and once again THANKYOU RWinger !!

When I was in my early thirties became a gym rat and got in great shape. At work a 5'0' 300 lb or more chick would corner me when she could and be all flirty with me. I was too nice to tell her to go to hell.
Now I'm old and fat... so I don't have to worry about that kind of thing any more.
I do not think this reached the level of sexual harassment....but I did fell quite uncomfortable. And some of my other coworkers would laugh about it.

Flirting is not sexual harassment
Unless you are informed that it is not welcome and you are asked to stop

I agree. I have had some flirty relationships with coworkers that were fun and good natured. They never crossed the line into creepville though. You know, a lot of it has to do with a person's demeanor. It's hard to make that sound viable on paper, but there are certain men who can just come across as super creepy, the way they stare at you, the things they might say to you or about you, etc. There are some very strange and very creepy people in this world.

Oh, there was a time also when a couple (a man and a woman - scummy looking in a scummy looking car), pulled over and asked me if I was interested in becoming a model. I backed away from them and said, on no uncertain terms, NO. Then they started trying to talk to me and asked me "where do the kids hang out around here?" I said, "I don't know," and I walked away in the opposite direction. I also had a guy, when I was about 9 years old come up to me and ask me if my parents spanked me. I said yes, and then he kissed me on the cheek. I was petrified and didn't know what to do. I ran to my friends house in tears and they called the cops. I remember having to go to the police department with my parents and pick out pictures. That guy scared the shit out of me. He was creepy as hell.

You're previous two posts made me cringe. I can't imagine what you went through!

The worst thing was when my friend was molested. She and I would cry together and I would hold her. It pretty much destroyed her.

I've always said that the only appropriate punishment for a male that does thus things is castration. If I were King that would be a law.

Dated a girl once that had the same life altering thing happen to her. I can't tell you how just holding her helped the memories pass, but it should NEVER HAPPEN.

Anyhoo, here it goes

(2) and LIARS

What you are describing is assault & yes it does! Harrassment is assult in the workplace or when power is involved ~ like with a cop who stops you for a ticket

Or adults who approach children that they don't know on the streets and touch them inappropriately.

Forum List

Back