Would You Feel Safe Traveling to London?

Nope. Same reason I didn't go to France this past year.and won't anytime soon.

If you think Europe is bad, then you don't have the first clue about anything outside of the US. You're far, FAR less likely to die in Europe than the US.
I have no desire to give them tourist revenue when they obviously have no desire to protect tourists. First to die in this weeks attacks? A Canadian Tourist.

IRA attacks that went on for close to twenty years were no less deadly.

Jump to Prevented, failed or aborted attacks - 1982, 6 December: The Ballykelly pub bombing in Northern Ireland. Seventeen people were killed including many soldiers. The Irish National Liberation Army claimed responsibility. 1984, 12 October: Brighton hotel bombing, 5 killed and several injured in an attempt by the IRA to kill Margaret Thatcher.

List of terrorist incidents in Great Britain - Wikipedia
Equating the IRA to Islam shows a complete lack of historical study.

I made no such comparison.

Sure, but there are places you wouldn't go in London because there's no reason to go. In the main part of London it's safe if you follow simple precautions. If you go to the center of DC it's not so safe.
Agreed on London, even areas that are dodgy are usually that way later at night and are fine to go in the day.

DC is weird in that technically the center is the Capitol building around which most areas are actually okay. I lived near 10th & C (Eastern Market) and it was fine even walking home from the metro later at night, but there are areas East of the River that I'd rather not drive through during broad daylight.

I haven't been to DC for a long time, but it's one of the worst cities I've been to, and you're looking at places like Johannesburg, Manila, Atlanta, etc along side DC. Yes, some places are safe, but overall I would not live there.

Two major attacks now on the London mayor's watch.

So... what are you trying to say here? Are you trying to say that the Mayor of London can stop terrorist attacks? Do you even know what the Mayor of London does?

Mayor of London - Wikipedia

"
The main functions are:[6][7]

Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime - Wikipedia

The police part is oversight. "The Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC) is a functional body of the Greater London Authority responsible for oversight of the Metropolitan Police. It came into being on 16 January 2012 at midnight,[1] replacing the Metropolitan Police Authority, as envisaged by the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011."

However the UK government, and not London, decides on the numbers of police in the city. And it has been the Tories, the Conservatives, who have reduced the police force by 20,000 in 7 years.

Nope. Same reason I didn't go to France this past year.and won't anytime soon.

If you think Europe is bad, then you don't have the first clue about anything outside of the US. You're far, FAR less likely to die in Europe than the US.
I have no desire to give them tourist revenue when they obviously have no desire to protect tourists. First to die in this weeks attacks? A Canadian Tourist.

What exactly do you think they can do to protect individual tourists who happen to be out drinking at 10pm? Have a policeman on every tourist for the duration of their stay? It's doable, they do it in North Korea, a minder for every group.

But hey, I'm sure that the UK doesn't really want to see people who have the mindset that you have either. I mean, if you're scared because a few people got killed, then I hope for your mental health you don't live anywhere near a big city in the US.

Yes of course. Why wouldn't I?

John Oliver talked about how some are saying really stupid things like 'England is under siege' and one of the RWNJs here said something like its a failing country. It's a funny bit but spot on.

ChrisL Where in France are you going? I have loved traveling all over France. Go, enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

This is like saying Boston had no desire to protect runners and spectators at the marathon.

Funny that you bring this up because I was invited to take a trip to France this summer! I've never been out of the United States, so I'm a little nervous about it but also excited. :) No, I won't be "packing heat." Lol.

I won't let these terrorists stop me from enjoying my life.
I just read an article on how to behave in France so they don't mock ewe! Right down to, you must pull your bread off in tiny little bites, do not pick it up and take a bite out of it. Learn French and do not eat your salad first! You finish your meal with the salad! Do not ask for a doggie bag that insults them. How petty are these people! Oh! And do not hug anyone either.

I'm not too concerned in what they think. That's not why I'm going there. I'm going there for the adventure and for a romantic get away from my every day boring life! :D I'm really looking forward to it actually.

Needless to say, @Willow could not be more wrong.

They're just people, like you and I. If you treat people well,that's what you'll get in return. Most are at least bi-lingual but using even a very few words of French is simply good manners. Esp please, thank you,etc.

Last time I left France, in the airport, I realized I wouldn't be hearing the musical sound of "Bon jour" any more and it felt very sad to me.

If you behave as you would in some else's home, you'll be fine. Just forget all the hateful shit some Americans say because they're wrong.

Oh, but, as with all travel, pickpockets can be a problem. Leave your usual bag at the hotel and carry only a flat wallet bag that goes across your body. I bought one there - they're in all the tourist shops, cheap and (imo) it's always more fun to buy there because it becomes a fun souvenir.

This is like saying Boston had no desire to protect runners and spectators at the marathon.
Did the Mayor of Boston tell its citizens they would just have to get used to the bombings?

I pass through London regularly and have no qualms about the month-long trip planned for later this year.

Another family member is planning a trip to France - a place where I spent what seemed like a week one afternoon and to which I will not willingly go again. Nothing to do with safety - only an aversion to French arrogance.

All that said, a terror attack might kill either of us but we agree that, at our age, it would be quicker than the cancer or dementia that will get one or both of us if we live much longer. The greatest cause of the increase in cancer deaths is simply that people aren't dying of other stuff as young as God intended.

Funny that you bring this up because I was invited to take a trip to France this summer! I've never been out of the United States, so I'm a little nervous about it but also excited. :) No, I won't be "packing heat." Lol.

I just read an article on how to behave in France so they don't mock ewe! Right down to, you must pull your bread off in tiny little bites, do not pick it up and take a bite out of it. Learn French and do not eat your salad first! You finish your meal with the salad! Do not ask for a doggie bag that insults them. How petty are these people! Oh! And do not hug anyone either.

I'm not too concerned in what they think. That's not why I'm going there. I'm going there for the adventure and for a romantic get away from my every day boring life! :D I'm really looking forward to it actually.
I would rather go to Fort Lauderdale.

Needless to say, @Willow could not be more wrong.

They're just people, like you and I. If you treat people well,that's what you'll get in return. Most are at least bi-lingual but using even a very few words of French is simply good manners. Esp please, thank you,etc.

Last time I left France, in the airport, I realized I wouldn't be hearing the musical sound of "Bon jour" any more and it felt very sad to me.

If you behave as you would in some else's home, you'll be fine. Just forget all the hateful shit some Americans say because they're wrong.

Oh, but, as with all travel, pickpockets can be a problem. Leave your usual bag at the hotel and carry only a flat wallet bag that goes across your body. I bought one there - they're in all the tourist shops, cheap and (imo) it's always more fun to buy there because it becomes a fun souvenir.

I believe my son! Thanks!

Did the Mayor of Boston tell its citizens they would just have to get used to the bombings?
And this means someone has no desire to protect their tourists? Quite a leap of logic you made there.

The Mayor is right, there is no magic bullet to guarantee there will never be terrorist attacks in their city. Same with any large city in Europe. It's a fact of life.... there will be terrorist attacks. Admitting this isn't akin to not desiring to protect tourists.

You're probaby best staying at home quaking in fear anyway.

And this means someone has no desire to protect their tourists? Quite a leap of logic you made there.

The Mayor is right, there is no magic bullet to guarantee there will never be terrorist attacks in their city. Same with any large city in Europe. It's a fact of life.... there will be terrorist attacks. Admitting this isn't akin to not desiring to protect tourists.

Back in 1999 I went to Egypt on a cruise. We docked in Alexandria and bossed down to Cairo. The Egyptian army guarded the caravan the whole way.. I think tourism in Egypt has suffered mightily since the rise of ISIS.

Quaking in fear? Hardly. We will just go on vacation somewhere else.

Quaking in fear? Hardly. We will just go on vacation somewhere else.

How about Orlando?

Forum List

Back