7 Reasons Why You Should Home School Your Kids

8. Homeschooling reduces the risk that your child will be brain-washed into being a Participation Trophy Craving SFJ Whinging Bully.

What's "whinging"?

It's an English term. Think of it as Whining^2. Or Whining + Cringing.

Are you English or looking for an excuse as to why you spelled it wrong? :D

I am part English, but anyone can use the word "whinge". It's quite expressive.

Parents that home school their children believe it allows them to control their children. But the truth of the matter is those home schooling parents are demonstrating that they have NO control over their children. They are openly admitting they can't prevent their children from being influenced by teachers or other students. To me, it demonstrates a lack of parenting skills. And honestly, it severely limits their child's ability to function in a free and open society. What, are those parents going to control which job their kids get, which church they go to, and what friends they have when they are no longer minors?

Look, you can't send you kids to public school and then go on auto-pilot. You have to be involved. You have to be aware of what they are being taught, aware of what their assignments are, and aware of the influence of both the other students and the teachers. If you can't overpower that influence, then yeah, you probably ought to home school your children. But don't act like that makes you some kind of hero. It makes you a coward.

Parents that home school their children believe it allows them to control their children. But the truth of the matter is those home schooling parents are demonstrating that they have NO control over their children. They are openly admitting they can't prevent their children from being influenced by teachers or other students. To me, it demonstrates a lack of parenting skills. And honestly, it severely limits their child's ability to function in a free and open society. What, are those parents going to control which job their kids get, which church they go to, and what friends they have when they are no longer minors?

Look, you can't send you kids to public school and then go on auto-pilot. You have to be involved. You have to be aware of what they are being taught, aware of what their assignments are, and aware of the influence of both the other students and the teachers. If you can't overpower that influence, then yeah, you probably ought to home school your children. But don't act like that makes you some kind of hero. It makes you a coward.

Your post is puerile at best, but I'll offer you an opportunity to explain this little bon-mot.

"... it severely limits their child's ability to function in a free and open society."

How so?

Team/Reward Concept

The problem is that both homeschooling and contemporary public education isolate each student. There is no grouping, as there is in sports or other social interactions.

Why look up to the pundits? They are the broken products of this same education; they're too dumbed down to offer any effective solutions. In their dim smugness, none of them offer this, which is based on how children normally interact with one another:

Divide the class into teams. Quiz frequently. The highest-scoring team will get Friday off; the lowest one has to come in on Saturday. Top individualist scorers from four grades older will get paid to teach the Saturday class.

Your post is puerile at best, but I'll offer you an opportunity to explain this little bon-mot.

"... it severely limits their child's ability to function in a free and open society."

How so?

So, my son was texting me a couple of weeks ago. He turned 23 today. He attended public school, graduated from a public university, and, at 23, is top of his class in a Phd program at, you guessed it, a public university. He works full-time for a research facility and is knocking down right at six figures. He bought a nice home in a bedroom community. He is getting married in September and he told me he and his fiancee were discussing home schooling their children. I gave him the same comment, it is all about social interaction. He said that many home-schoolers participated in networks where they engaged with other home schooled students and parents. My response was that all those other children were just as alike as the damn houses in his cookie cutter neighborhood. Without the exposure to diversity that a public school entails, home schooled students are put at a distinct disadvantage when they enter the real world.

How so?

So, my son was texting me a couple of weeks ago. He turned 23 today. He attended public school, graduated from a public university, and, at 23, is top of his class in a Phd program at, you guessed it, a public university. He works full-time for a research facility and is knocking down right at six figures. He bought a nice home in a bedroom community. He is getting married in September and he told me he and his fiancee were discussing home schooling their children. I gave him the same comment, it is all about social interaction. He said that many home-schoolers participated in networks where they engaged with other home schooled students and parents. My response was that all those other children were just as alike as the damn houses in his cookie cutter neighborhood. Without the exposure to diversity that a public school entails, home schooled students are put at a distinct disadvantage when they enter the real world.

Because of current societal norms, I find your tale questionable.

That said, knowledge of diversity is indeed useful.

But, living in diversity where all things are set to a lower denominator to accommodate those less academically inclined? Not so much.

Put a diamond in a mud puddle, and it will soon be lost. Exposure to diversity can as easily be accomplished by participation in extracurricular programs.

I have a Masters degree in Education. This was one of my areas of concentration. Have a nice day with your bogus sources! There are no sources that definitively prove your theory.

So why is education so screwed up if our educational institutions are full of educated people with degrees?

Newsflash: Politicians run the schools. They are local politicians who usually are uneducated peons elected to school boards.

So it is politicians that kids interact with 5 days a week? I went to Catholic schools but I suppose politicians kept the nuns from using the science books they had sitting o a shelf.

I was doing network and wi-fi work at a high school a year ago. It was a charter school. I asked half-a-dozen teachers about Project Gutenberg. Most said they never heard of it. One said she used it. I asked her if she told the students about it and she said no. Some of the books I used for English literature back in the day are now in PG. How do politicians keep teachers from mentioning that to kids?

Last edited:
I have a Masters degree in Education. This was one of my areas of concentration. Have a nice day with your bogus sources! There are no sources that definitively prove your theory.

So why is education so screwed up if our educational institutions are full of educated people with degrees?

Newsflash: Politicians run the schools. They are local politicians who usually are uneducated peons elected to school boards.

So it is politicians that kids interact with 5 days a week? I went to Catholic schools but I suppose politicians kept the nuns from using the science books they had sitting o a shelf.

It didn't stop them at my school. The nuns not only used them, but got pretty good at cracking people in the back of the head with them when they felt it was necessary. :auiqs.jpg:

It didn't stop them at my school. The nuns not only used them, but got pretty good at cracking people in the back of the head with them when they felt it was necessary. :auiqs.jpg:

Our nuns had miniature baseball bats and did not need books.

Our nuns had miniature baseball bats and did not need books.

Ours also had long hickory map pointers.

I like this trend of conservatives to reject structured schooling and to reject college.

The world needs ditch diggers and burger flippers.

You need to get out more and meet real people. This little bubble of yours is quite restrictive.

Most home schooling parents are extremely involved in their children's schooling. That's why home schooled children in general perform so well.

How so?

That's your theory. Reality is a bit different.

How so?

Because of current societal norms, I find your tale questionable.

That said, knowledge of diversity is indeed useful.

But, living in diversity where all things are set to a lower denominator to accommodate those less academically inclined? Not so much.

Put a diamond in a mud puddle, and it will soon be lost. Exposure to diversity can as easily be accomplished by participation in extracurricular programs.

I hear you. He is exceptional. But the lowest common denominator thing is a total copout. Tell me, why can't you, as a parent, supplement the teaching going on at public schools in order to prevent the "diamond" from getting lost in the mud? My strategy, as a parent, was to immediately call bullshit on some of the lame teaching going on in the public school. Like the whole Christopher Columbus flat earth bullshit. Or George Washington as some great military leader. The truth is public schools are years behind contemporary science and research. It is the job of the parent to stay current, to both supplement, and sometimes contradict, the teachings of a public school, or even a private school. And you better bring evidence and have a winning argument, otherwise, like I said, you should probably home school.

And no, extracurricular activities are no more "diverse" than that neighborhood my son lives in. Football players play football and debate team members debate. Do you really thing if your child participated in either activity they would be exposed to diversity? Poor students can't afford the equipment to play football nor can poor students afford the supplies and travel expenses of a top flight forensics squad. Hell, there are high school debate teams that fly on private jets. You think that is a diverse group of people?

Most home schooling parents are extremely involved in their children's schooling. That's why home schooled children in general perform so well.

No shit sherlock, which is why any "statistic" touting the superiority of home schooling is so worthless. Those results don't come from home schooling, they come from parental involvement. Like I said, you can't send your kids to a public school and let it run on autopilot. There is no reason whatsoever that a parent of a public school student can't be actively involved in their child's education.

No shit sherlock, which is why any "statistic" touting the superiority of home schooling is so worthless. Those results don't come from home schooling, they come from parental involvement. Like I said, you can't send your kids to a public school and let it run on autopilot. There is no reason whatsoever that a parent of a public school student can't be actively involved in their child's education.

It would appear then that the parents most involved with their children's education are the ones who decided to get the government schools out of the way and do the teaching themselves.

Last edited:
Tell me, why can't you, as a parent, supplement the teaching going on at public schools in order to prevent the "diamond" from getting lost in the mud?

Why leave it in the mud in the first place? We pulled ours out of the system, and my wife, a certified teacher in one of the better public systems in the country, directed the homeschooling effort, along with others. We were most gratified with the end product.

My strategy, as a parent, was to immediately call bullshit on some of the lame teaching going on in the public school.

Knock yourself out. I myself had neither the time nor the inclination to be a crusader in the mode of Don Quixote, or to provide remedial instruction to assumed professionals, and certainly not free of charge.

And no, extracurricular activities are no more "diverse" than that neighborhood my son lives in. Football players play football and debate team members debate. Do you really thing if your child participated in either activity they would be exposed to diversity?

I surmise that your idea of what constitutes diversity differs from my own.

Poor students can't afford the equipment to play football nor can poor students afford the supplies and travel expenses of a top flight forensics squad. Hell, there are high school debate teams that fly on private jets. You think that is a diverse group of people?

None of that is or was any concern of mine outside charitable efforts. There will always be inequality so long as people are diverse in drive, talents and abilities.

Forum List

Back