Zone1 A big step in eradicating systemic racism, and 2/3rds of Americans approve

How is it “a big reason why the country is in decline” when first, blacks make up a tiny minority in the most competitive institutions regardless, and of that minority, there is no indication that all or most “don’t have merit”. Two far bigger groups who are admitted the way you describe are legacy student and athletes. Each group takes up more slots than minorities do, from students who might have higher gpa or test scores which is usually the argument made.
Both groups provide funds to the University. Legacy student's parents give grants and athletes attract people to games who pay money to see their games. Both directly benefit the university and subsidize things like ethnic studies programs.

1) you are talking about being in the middle of a world war where the USA was straining every sinew to produce the weapons to arm the entire free world.
2) No one paid 94%, the rich had tax shelters and deductions that lowered their actual tax rate ot the same or less than the middle class paid.
A high top tax rate gives the government considerable control over the economic behavior of the rich. With all their loop holes they still paid much more in taxes.

Both groups provide funds to the University. Legacy student's parents give grants and athletes attract people to games who pay money to see their games. Both directly benefit the university and subsidize things like ethnic studies programs.
The illegitimate children of unmarried mothers who do not know who their fathers are and who are admitted because standards are lowered for them bring nothing to the university but loud rap music when serious students are trying to study.

And they KNOW it’s racist. That Newsvine just admitted it by saying how whites have been giving favoritism for 350 years, so now it’s time to suck it up [as blacks are given favoritism].

What she and others like her don’t want to admit is that whites alive TODAY haven’t been favored over blacks. In fact, for the last 40 years, blacks have been favored. But still it’s not enough. They want to punish whites who have ALREADY lost out on college spots and job promotions to less-qualified blacks even further because they might have had ancestor who might have been a slave.

My own family didn’t arrive here until the 20th century - poor, uneducated, and without a word of English. By the next generation, everyone had graduated from college and owned homes in the suburbs. All it took was brains, motivation, and discipline.

Lisa would have us believe that she and her family "alone and completely unassisted" and "without the impediments of the history of racial animus against Black people" rose to affluence. Yet when she is asked for specific details about this rise, there are holes and inconsistencies in her retelling of the tale.

All it took was brains, motivation, and discipline AND NOT BEING BLACK OR OF AFRICAN DESCENT (you always forget this part)

The United States has done as more for the Jewish American people than it has for Black Americans, yet we persevere. For some strange reason, Lisa and others don't understand that the fact that they are NOT BLACK gives them an automatic advantage. Yet she wants to pretend that there is no advantage and that all of the progress that has been made is due solely to their own effort.

That does not alter the fact that you are taking admission slots from applicants with greater merit. All you are doing is saying it is ok to discriminate if they give us money, but it is still discriminating against applicants with greater “merit”.

Harvard: a legacy increases your chance of being admitted by 4x, 33% of admissions are legacy. Harvard’s current admissions class is: 29.9% Asian, meanwhile Black admits and Latino admits are 15.3% and 11% respectively.

It is estimated that legacies make up 25% to 35% if admissions in Ivy League institutions.

I disagree.

It is earned. The admitted students still must meet the academic criteria for admissions. Race cannot be the sole or main factor, but it can be one of many factors to consider.

Now I agree Dems and Repubs differ on what equality means: equality of outcome or equality at the start. Both have pros and cons.

I don’t see it in those lights. Higher Ed has traditionally been a driver of economic success and upward mobility. College educated parents are more likely to pass on the value of an education to their kids and be able to academically support them. I think you will find college educated Blacks are no different than college educated Whites in that regard. But to get there, you need to be admitted and you then need to finish. Many Black students may also be first generation, a category that struggles and is given consideration in the admissions process. But those admissions are worth it in their ability to give back to their communities.

I see this holistically.
I never even considered the fact that my siblings and I are first generation if that means the first generation to graduate from college? And I honestly don't remember being asked that question.

admit blacks who by every objective, measurable criterion are less intelligent than the least intelligent non blacks they admit.
So according to your comment above, you must be one of the least intelligent candidates but I would bet money on me being head & shoulders above you in intelligence.

Do you have the ability to demonstrate any of this intelligence you allegedly possess?

Lisa would have us believe that she and her family "alone and completely unassisted" and "without the impediments of the history of racial animus against Black people" rose to affluence. Yet when she is asked for specific details about this rise, there are holes and inconsistencies in her retelling of the tale.
No there isn’t. You just don’t want to acknowledge that impoverished people without even a high school education fleeing antisemitism, and still facing it here, managed to raise children who all graduated from college and went on to affluence. The opportunities my parents and their siblings were given were available to black kids too.

The United States has done as more for the Jewish American people than it has for Black Americans, yet we persevere. For some strange reason, Lisa and others don't understand that the fact that they are NOT BLACK gives them an automatic advantage. Yet she wants to pretend that there is no advantage and that all of the progress that has been made is due solely to their own effort.
Yes, it’s been made largely to their own effort, despite antisemitism. For some strange reason, you refuse to admit that success is in blacks’ own hands, and that with hard work, no children before marriage, no crime, no drugs, studying hard, and taking advantage of free educational programs, they too can rise to affluence.

Take a look around the DC suburbs, and the affluent blacks in upscale restaurants, buying fancy cars, and shopping in designer stores, and you’ll see many blacks aren’t the poor, oppressed victims of “racism”.

I keep asking the same question, and you have no answer: why have some blacks moved into the middle and upper-middle class, and others haven’t?

Give us a break. Whites have everything they do because they have built the most productive society in the history of mankind.
Based on white supremacist policies. Only white male landowners were allowed to participate in the political arena via voting.

Why are you all pretending that white racists didn't stack the deck in all aspects of life in their favor and the favor of their progeny?

How is it “a big reason why the country is in decline” when first, blacks make up a tiny minority in the most competitive institutions regardless, and of that minority, there is no indication that all or most “don’t have merit”. Two far bigger groups who are admitted the way you describe are legacy student and athletes. Each group takes up more slots than minorities do, from students who might have higher gpa or test scores which is usually the argument made.
The assumption that Black people can not or would not achieve the things we have "but for" the existence of affirmative action is the default mindset of those against itas well as the belief that merit plays no part in it which is ridiculous when you think about it. When we mention that white women are the largest beneficiaries of affirmative action, the immediate response is "no, I got that job through my own merit". No one said merit isn't involved, but in order to apply, the opportunities had to first be opened up to more women, minorities, etc.

From the employment side, employers will not hire people that cannot do the work for them simply so they can get affirmative action points and those that try can end up in hot water. It costs time and money to train people just to have to get rid of them.

No, the underpinning of the argument has been whether colleges can use one’s skin color as a factor in deciding whom to admit or reject, which often outweighs predictive factors of success.

I feel that should be most of it, yes, with other consideration given to activities that are predictive of success in the program - such as editor of high school newspaper if journalism major, Hospital volunteer for pre-med, etc.

That should be the primary focus. Other areas which are beneficial to students are learning to live independently, solving one’s own problems, and, like every stage of life, enjoying friends and social activities.

To an extent. The problem comes about when standards are significantly lowered to allow this diversity, thus creating two classes of students: the better students, admitted after meeting higher standards; and the weaker students, who were still admitted but under lower standards for the purpose of diversity. It lowers the teaching level of the class, and the better students suffer for it.

I saw first-hand what happens when you mix top students with “less good” students as far back as elementary school. For my first four years, I was in a school that ”tracked,” and I was placed in the top group where the lessons were challenging and interesting. I advanced quickly and was doing 6th grade math by grade 4, along with my classmates.

Then they redistricted to where there was no tracking, and I was placed in regular classes for the next four years. The first two years were a total waste. The two years after that were OK, but nothing especially challenging. Then my parents moved back to the district where there had been tracking, and my old friends from elementary school were there. They had remained in the tracked district, and were YEARS ahead of me.

IOW, putting less academically qualified students (the AA admits) hurts the better academically qualified students (those who get in under higher standards), and lowers the caliber of the instruction. It hurts the better stidents.
I’m to respond to just this, and that is that you really can’t compare what happens in an elementary school with what happens in college, too many differences.

I never even considered the fact that my siblings and I are first generation if that means the first generation to graduate from college? And I honestly don't remember being asked that question.
Yes, it means first generation to go to college. It is a relatively recent designation.

Yes, it’s been made largely to their own effort, despite antisemitism. For some strange reason, you refuse to admit that success is in blacks’ own hands, and that with hard work, no children before marriage, no crime, no drugs, studying hard, and taking advantage of free educational programs, they too can rise to affluence.

Take a look around the DC suburbs, and the affluent blacks in upscale restaurants, buying fancy cars, and shopping in designer stores, and you’ll see many blacks aren’t the poor, oppressed victims of “racism”.

I keep asking the same question, and you have no answer: why have some blacks moved into the middle and upper-middle class, and others haven’t?
I don't have to look around DC although last time I was there the only people I saw outside pushing baby buggies were white women. I've been told that DC is going through an era of gentrification.

The reason we keep having this conversation is because you are unable to find it within yourself to consider or admit that the playing field between Black people and migrant Jewish people are not the same starting with the fact that you and your people are white. Your ancestors did not arrive on our shores as captives, you all were welcomed to the country and provided refuge. Many of you arrived with or gained access to some assets, while there were places in the U.S., the same country that welcomed you all with open arms, where Black people could not live or own real estate. Have you read anything about the place called the "Black Wall Street" and what happened to it.

In addition to everyday life and the challenges everyone faces, Black people here in the United States have also had to contend with the challenges created by legally sanctioned racial animosity against us as a people and individually. This is an EXTRA hurdle for us, yet for the same reasons that some white people have risen to the middle and upper classes, so have Black people or so you want to dispute this as well?

• Winner
Reactions: IM2
Because there were blacks in my parents’ colleges, taking advantage of the same opportunities.
You know how you get upset when you say you see too many Black people in T.V. commercials and too many Black people on the posters in the store windows at the mall. Were there "too many" black people enrolled in the same school as your grandparents or was the school predominantly white or Jewish? Or did they attend a Black school? Were there as many Black people in the school as there were in the population, percentage wise?

There have ALWAYS been Black people who are exceptional just like in any other population (in answer to your question "why do some..."). That does not mean that they have not been discriminated against or have not faced discrimination on their journey to be at the top of their craft or career. However no one achieves these heights without a support system of some sort...

Yes, my grandparents. What’s the confusion?
Because last you mentioned the topic, you said your parents and their siblings, I just wanted to verify that you actually meant your grandparents.

Forum List

Back