A president shouldn't have free speech rights.....

From what I understand it just depends on if they are speaking from official capacity. Like speaking at a government function, things like that.
When officials are on duty, they are the government. Not a private citizen.

A person who is elected president is considered to be in an official capacity from the time they are sworn in, until the time they either (a) die in office, or (b) their replacement is sworn in as president.

While serving, a president is considered to be in an official capacity 24/7.

No, I dont have a list for your ridiculous question.
why is it ridiculous???

youre saying theres things they can or cant say but you wont say what those things are,,

even the miltary tells you before you join up,, should the most important job in the country do the same??

Which of his Constitutional rights were taken away?
He was punished for lying because what he said had effect on the masses.
If he could just say whatever he wants, why did he get censored?

So none of his Constututional rights were taken away.

Any other dumbass attempts at an analogy?

A person who is elected president is considered to be in an official capacity from the time they are sworn in, until the time they either (a) die in office, or (b) their replacement is sworn in as president.

While serving, a president is considered to be in an official capacity 24/7.
Ok but if he is lying to his wife about china nuking california, thats ok. If he says it as an official government message, he would be fucked.
That is part of what i meant by "context" in an earlier post.

if lying is against the law why are they starting with trump when there are thousands of politicians before him guilty of doing it for yrs??

why is it ridiculous???

youre saying theres things they can or cant say but you wont say what those things are,,

even the miltary tells you before you join up,, should the most important job in the country do the same??
I notice you ran away from the last question. You are just flatly wrong on the first amendment in this regard.

"When public employees make statements pursuant to their official duties, they are not speaking as citizens for First Amendment purposes, and the Constitution does not insulate their communications from employer discipline."

Like I said earlier, there is not functional way to do this with the president BUT it has nothing to do with the first amendment. The top job only gets a pass because there is no higher authority.

It's true that a president can make outrageous statements that impact the Country but we depend on the media to point out the problem. It isn't so much a matter of free speech as it is a matter of the media not doing it's job and becoming a willing accomplice of a political party.

I notice you ran away from the last question. You are just flatly wrong on the first amendment in this regard.

"When public employees make statements pursuant to their official duties, they are not speaking as citizens for First Amendment purposes, and the Constitution does not insulate their communications from employer discipline."

Like I said earlier, there is not functional way to do this with the president BUT it has nothing to do with the first amendment. The top job only gets a pass because there is no higher authority.
again with employees,, elected officials are not employees that apply to the job under the conditions set intheir contracts given to them before they agree to accept the job,,

so do you have a list of things an elected official can or cant say??

The President has the right to free speech, even the right to lie, what he does not have, is the right to incite a riot.
Democrats incited riots in 2020 and supported the rioters. When is the Democrat party going to be held responsible?

again with employees,, elected officials are not employees that apply to the job under the conditions set intheir contracts given to them before they agree to accept the job,,

so do you have a list of things an elected official can or cant say??
There is no list for any of this. The things you can and cannot say are regulated by context. You want me to beat you over the head with more examples? Okay, here is another one:

How about you just admit you are wrong on this because, by this time, it is pretty damn obvious.

they can say all kind of things. sometimes those things have consequences. 1a does not protect from consequences. this needs pointing out. apparently.
Yes, it actually does. It protects you from any consequences that may be leveraged against you from the government. That is the point.

There is no list for any of this. The things you can and cannot say are regulated by context. You want me to beat you over the head with more examples? Okay, here is another one:

How about you just admit you are wrong on this because, by this time, it is pretty damn obvious.
ok then give me a context of what an elected official can or cant say so we can write it down to give them before they agree to take the job???

if it can be done for government employees it should be done for elected officials,,

stripping someone from a commitee isnt the same as putting someone in jail,,

Forum List

Back