A Reasonable Solution To The Gay Marriage Debate

The idea of throwing away one of the major foundation stones of human society because an extremely tiny group of people feels that they are more enlightened than 99% of humanity shows how extremely intolerant and parochial some so-called "enlightened" people can be.

How does the ability of gays to marry affect your marriage?

Does it diminish it in any way?

Why don't you allow Men and women to marry multiple partners? Or allow Man to marry their daughters? Or adults to marry 10 year olds?

Marriage is an institution that is more important than some day to day politics.

I have no issues with polygamy if it is between consenting adults
Incest is illegal as is sex with a 10 year old

You still didn't answer the question. How does gay marriage diminish your own marriage?

Last edited:
What if everybody turned gay? How long to you think humanity would last? How long do you think it would take the government to step in and make gay marriage illegal and out law it?

Well why don't we try to stick to reality here. That's never going to happen so it's a completely irrelevant point. I mean what if the oceans turned to jello? Come on man.

People in America long ago once thought Marriage was between a man and a woman, now they are trying to make it man and man. Gay marriage was not in most peoples reality, but as time goes by it has become a reality. With that said society may just go that way in time. Not in my life time but it may just come.

It is? Just because you don't have an answer doesn't diminish the meaning of the question.

What if everybody turned gay? How long to you think humanity would last? How long do you think it would take the government to step in and make gay marriage illegal and out law it?

I like that you cherry-picked my answer to try and show that I had no answer. I said, clearly, that I see no reason why multiple partner marriages should be illegal. Why should it?? Can you give me an answer that does not rely on religion or on the logical fallacy of appealing to tradition??

No cherry picking. but I like to way you ignored the last part of my post could it be you over looked it? Or could it be you can't refute it?

The "What if everybody turned gay?" part? I ignored it because it is absolutely ridiculous.

Do you actually think there is the remotest chance that allowing gays to marry will cause everyone to "turn gay"?? Is that even in the realm of possibility??

What if everyone suddenly became uninterested in sex at all?? What if everyone suddenly grew a third eye in the middle of their forehead? What if pigs started to fly? All of those are as likely as everyone turning gay.

What you are trying is a ridiculous scare tactic based on the idea that allowing gay marriage will increase the number of gays. It won't. Not allowing it also won't decrease the number of gays.

Multiple partners is an entirely different topic due to the issues surrounding the dissolving of the marriage. But I have no problem with multiple partners as long as all involved are consenting adults. I see no reason why thegov't should care either.

The key words in all of this is "consenting adults". Marriage is a social contract. Unless the persons involved are adults and mentally able to give informed consent, there is no possibility of any sort of contract.

I answered your questions. Now answer mine.

If marriage is nothing but a "social contract" then why don't we abolish marriage altogether? There is contract law in civil law, no need to have anything like marriage then is there?

Or could it be that marriage is just a little bit more significant in societal terms than you're letting on?

I think marriage is quite significant. That is why I am so adamant that gays be allowed to marry.

Those who try and reduce gay marriage to nothing more than sex are the ones who diminish the meaning of marriage.

The gov't sanctioning of marriage is, however, a social contract. I am not in favor of abolishing marriage. But I am in favor of removing teh gov't from the equation, along with the benefits granted.

It is because it is so significant that I oppose undermining it in the name of the flavour of the day. Marriage, as a union between a man and a woman, is one of the cornerstones of our society. Compared to these sorts of fundamental norms, al recent (i.e. not more than a few hundred years old) written laws and constitutions are really pretty minor scraps of paper.

If indeed the government sanctioning of marriage is merely a social contract, than the solution is simple: abolish civil marriage and return to the tradition of marriage as a religious ceremony (personally I don't favour this).

Why don't you allow Men and women to marry multiple partners? Or allow Man to marry their daughters? Or adults to marry 10 year olds?

Marriage is an institution that is more important than some day to day politics.

Multiple partners is an entirely different topic due to the issues surrounding the dissolving of the marriage. But I have no problem with multiple partners as long as all involved are consenting adults. I see no reason why thegov't should care either.

The key words in all of this is "consenting adults". Marriage is a social contract. Unless the persons involved are adults and mentally able to give informed consent, there is no possibility of any sort of contract.

Multiple partners is an entirely different topic due to the issues surrounding the dissolving of the marriage.

It is? Just because you don't have an answer doesn't diminish the meaning of the question.

Marriage is a social contract.

If everyone turned gay there would be no procreation if there were marriage or not. Which means your concern is irrelevant

Unless you are making the ridiculous claim that gay marriage will somehow make everyone gay

You still didn't answer the question. How does gay marriage diminish your own marriage?

Marriage with several people is just as illegal as sex with a ten year old. Why do you feal one sort of legal restriction is permissible but another isn't?

The idea of throwing away one of the major foundation stones of human society because an extremely tiny group of people feels that they are more enlightened than 99% of humanity shows how extremely intolerant and parochial some so-called "enlightened" people can be.

Ten year-olds can't give permission.

No normal, healthy male would want to marry his daughter - or vice versa.

Multiple partners, as I have stated numerous times? That's their fight.

This is my fight. If you can marry a woman, I should be able to marry a woman.

If I can marry a man, RW should be able to marry a man.

The law as it stands is denying roughly 10% of the population their right to marriage, and don't tell me marriage isn't a right, because fuck-all 90% of the country can marry their dearly beloved.

But my sister and her partner cannot.

And that is bullshit.

Marriage with several people is just as illegal as sex with a ten year old. Why do you feal one sort of legal restriction is permissible but another isn't?

What is the point of my answering questions if you refuse to read my answers??

CONSENTING ADULTS is, as I have pointed out numerous times, the key.

I like that you cherry-picked my answer to try and show that I had no answer. I said, clearly, that I see no reason why multiple partner marriages should be illegal. Why should it?? Can you give me an answer that does not rely on religion or on the logical fallacy of appealing to tradition??

No cherry picking. but I like to way you ignored the last part of my post could it be you over looked it? Or could it be you can't refute it?

The "What if everybody turned gay?" part? I ignored it because it is absolutely ridiculous.

Do you actually think there is the remotest chance that allowing gays to marry will cause everyone to "turn gay"?? Is that even in the realm of possibility??

What if everyone suddenly became uninterested in sex at all?? What if everyone suddenly grew a third eye in the middle of their forehead? What if pigs started to fly? All of those are as likely as everyone turning gay.

What you are trying is a ridiculous scare tactic based on the idea that allowing gay marriage will increase the number of gays. It won't. Not allowing it also won't decrease the number of gays.

And like wise gay marriage is ridiculous. You want to live together fine do so. But come tomorrow I will put my opinion to a vote as far as North Carolina and gay marriage is concerned.

Same-sex marriage measure set for vote in North Carolina - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
The hell NO. will be my vote.

And none of you pansy ass straights have YET to answer - when did you choose to be straight. What gay experience did you have that made you CHOOSE straight?? Because if it's a choice, you must have made it.

Strap on a pair and answer me.

Well, you're talking to someone with constant wood, as he so politely informed me, so there's no blood flow to the brain.

The issue is laws are passed against actions which harm society. Murder harms society, stealing harms society, incest harms society, pedophilia harms society

Two people of the same sex getting married does not harm society

If marriage is nothing but a "social contract" then why don't we abolish marriage altogether? There is contract law in civil law, no need to have anything like marriage then is there?

Or could it be that marriage is just a little bit more significant in societal terms than you're letting on?

I think marriage is quite significant. That is why I am so adamant that gays be allowed to marry.

Those who try and reduce gay marriage to nothing more than sex are the ones who diminish the meaning of marriage.

The gov't sanctioning of marriage is, however, a social contract. I am not in favor of abolishing marriage. But I am in favor of removing teh gov't from the equation, along with the benefits granted.

It is because it is so significant that I oppose undermining it in the name of the flavour of the day. Marriage, as a union between a man and a woman, is one of the cornerstones of our society. Compared to these sorts of fundamental norms, al recent (i.e. not more than a few hundred years old) written laws and constitutions are really pretty minor scraps of paper.

If indeed the government sanctioning of marriage is merely a social contract, than the solution is simple: abolish civil marriage and return to the tradition of marriage as a religious ceremony (personally I don't favour this).

Homosexuality has been around as long as we have recorded history. The fact that we have only recently stopped actively persecuting it does not make it the "flavor of the day".

These people are in dedicated, long term relationships. If you look at the people who get married when states wake up and allow it, the couples have often been together for decades. Flavor of the month? Before you call those couples that, try and look at the number of straight marriages that do not last a single year.

Well why don't we try to stick to reality here. That's never going to happen so it's a completely irrelevant point. I mean what if the oceans turned to jello? Come on man.

People in America long ago once thought Marriage was between a man and a woman, now they are trying to make it man and man. Gay marriage was not in most peoples reality, but as time goes by it has become a reality. With that said society may just go that way in time. Not in my life time but it may just come.

People in America long ago used to hang witches too. And I am sorry to tell you this but unless you plan to be dead in the next 5-10 years it's going to become nationally legalized in your lifetime. Fight it all you want, but the momentum is not going your way. You're fighting a losing battle.

Multiple partners is an entirely different topic due to the issues surrounding the dissolving of the marriage.

Actually the Civil Marriage contract and multiple partners is a different topic. There is an implication in the contract to sexual exclusivity (monogamy) within the bounds of the contract. However the actual conduct is up to the individuals to determine.

A couple can commit to a monogamous sexual relationship, if one of them violates that agreement then the other party can obtain a divorce. On the other hand if the agreement between the parties is that sexual monogamy is not a requirement (for one or both of them), if there is outside sexual activity the state will not step in and force the parties to divorce. To this day there are swingers clubs where married couples participate, there are famous examples like Bill and Hillary Clinton (no one forced them to divorce and they choose to stay married) and his famous affair, and (anecdotal I know, but...) there was a gay officer that I knew of in the mid-80's who married a lesbian who was also a military officer so they could put a front of for their respective chains-of-command.

Marriage is a social contract.
What if everybody turned gay? How long to you think humanity would last?

What if the polls reverse on December 21st of this year and gravity disappears and we all float off into space?

If everyone turned homosexual at the snap of a finger then humanity would last, the resulting society would just look a lot different then the one now.

1. There would be an immediate decrease in the worlds population as some would not be able accept themselves and would suicide.

2. There would be a long term decrease in the worlds population as fewer children would be born, while this would occur everywhere, it would especially be prevalent in third world countries without access to technological assistance for pregnancy.

3. A new model of society would evolve whereby men became the sperm donors and women egg donors, then IVF, sperm donation, and surrogacy would become the primary means of procreation.

4. The population would stabilize at a new lower level as new interactions and socials rolls worked themselves out and economies restabilized for smaller populations, over time (probably in the neighborhood [just a guess] of 50-100 years] you would see populations start to rise again.​

What if everybody turned gay? <<SNIP>> How long do you think it would take the government to step in and make gay marriage illegal and out law it?

If everybody turned homosexuals, I doubt if homosexuals would outlaw married for themselves.

Probably they would promote options for pregnancy and maybe even cloning technology where the chromosomes of same gender parents could be combined to produce off spring.

>>>>

Last edited:

Well, you're talking to someone with constant wood, as he so politely informed me, so there's no blood flow to the brain.

LMAO!! That must have been some conversation.

Homosexuality has been around as long as we have recorded history. The fact that we have only recently stopped actively persecuting it does not make it the "flavor of the day".

These people are in dedicated, long term relationships. If you look at the people who get married when states wake up and allow it, the couples have often been together for decades. Flavor of the month? Before you call those couples that, try and look at the number of straight marriages that do not last a single year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B237YJBK_Tw]CNN - NY Gay Couple Waiting 61 Years To Marry - YouTube[/ame]

After 60 Years, a Deep Desire to Make It 'Legal' - NYTimes.com

Richard Adrian Dorr first sang for John Mace at the Juilliard School of Music in 1948: a rendition of the show tune “All the Things You Are,” in which the singer elegantly explains all the wonderful things his lover is to him.

Mr. Mace knew the song intimately and he accompanied Mr. Dorr on piano, with no sheet music.

The song ends with the hope that, “someday I’ll know this moment divine, when all the things you are, are mine.”

For Mr. Mace, who is 91, and Mr. Dorr, 83, that moment divine would come with a marriage in New York City where the couple has lived together for more than 60 years.

“Our friends have told us, ‘You two guys should get married in Massachusetts or Connecticut,’ but we’ve always been New Yorkers, and after 61 years of togetherness, we feel we have a right to be married in New York,” Mr. Mace said recently inside the sprawling apartment on West End Avenue and 96th Street in Manhattan where the couple, both of whom are voice teachers, live and work.

Ten year-olds can't give permission.

No normal, healthy male would want to marry his daughter - or vice versa.

Multiple partners, as I have stated numerous times? That's their fight.

This is my fight. If you can marry a woman, I should be able to marry a woman.

If I can marry a man, RW should be able to marry a man.

The law as it stands is denying roughly 10% of the population their right to marriage, and don't tell me marriage isn't a right, because fuck-all 90% of the country can marry their dearly beloved.

But my sister and her partner cannot.

And that is bullshit.

First of all you are of course being hypocritical. For others it's "their fight", but for the issue you defend it's somehow a "right".

You say that no healthy man would want to marry his daughter. Well there arte some people who say that no healthy man should want to marry another man.

Marriage is a union between a man and a woman. You wish to dump this fundamental social norm on the altar of some political correct flavour of the day. That is frankly - in the most literal sense of the word - uncivilized.

And none of you pansy ass straights have YET to answer - when did you choose to be straight. What gay experience did you have that made you CHOOSE straight?? Because if it's a choice, you must have made it.

Oh I didn't realize I was one of those "pansy ass straights" you were directing the question at. Well I guess when I was a small child and saw Anni-Frid Lyngstad and Agnetha Faltskog singing "Take a Chance on Me". At that point I sprung a little boner and realized I was destined to be a straight man in adulthood. :lol:

I was born normal I have never had any desire or thoughts of having any type of a relationship with a male other than friendship.
I love pussy so much since I left it the day I was born I am still trying to get back in it 50 years later.

Forum List

Back