A Reasonable Solution To The Gay Marriage Debate

Marriage with several people is just as illegal as sex with a ten year old. Why do you feal one sort of legal restriction is permissible but another isn't?

The issue is laws are passed against actions which harm society. Murder harms society, stealing harms society, incest harms society, pedophilia harms society

Two people of the same sex getting married does not harm society

It does, because it undermines society.

And you have yet to say how.

Tell me how the most popular woman in America 'undermined society.'

People in America long ago once thought Marriage was between a man and a woman, now they are trying to make it man and man. Gay marriage was not in most peoples reality, but as time goes by it has become a reality. With that said society may just go that way in time. Not in my life time but it may just come.

People in America long ago used to hang witches too. And I am sorry to tell you this but unless you plan to be dead in the next 5-10 years it's going to become nationally legalized in your lifetime. Fight it all you want, but the momentum is not going your way. You're fighting a losing battle.

North Carolina will always be a no we are going to have a Constitutional amendment. So if you want a gay marriage do not come to North Carolina.

Most of the polls I have seen do not show this amendment passing. So I guess we'll see gay marriages being performed in Ashville in the mountains??

More people in America favor gay marriage than are against it. You've already lost.

The rest of the world is more enlightened, i.e., they don't see what the big deal is. Gays are people. I know it's such a radical concept, you're having trouble wrapping your brain around it. But they are. They fall in love, and they want to get married.

Clearly you don't know much about the rest of the world.

Marriage with several people is just as illegal as sex with a ten year old. Why do you feal one sort of legal restriction is permissible but another isn't?

The issue is laws are passed against actions which harm society. Murder harms society, stealing harms society, incest harms society, pedophilia harms society

Nice vague answer. Give us some real information on HOW in undermines society?? Or are you relying on the idea that it will cause everyone to "turn gay"?

More people in America favor gay marriage than are against it. You've already lost.

The rest of the world is more enlightened, i.e., they don't see what the big deal is. Gays are people. I know it's such a radical concept, you're having trouble wrapping your brain around it. But they are. They fall in love, and they want to get married.

Well God forbid I open up a can of worms here, but in the religious wacko mind "corporations are people but gays are not."

Clearly you don't know much about the rest of the world.

Enlighten me. And make it good. I have Google access, I can prove you wrong.

So people who are gay aren't already part of the society?

Society benefits from happy productive people who are all treated equally under the law.

Extending legal rights and benefits to some and not all is what undermines society.

Let me know how many of those you can find. Because I know it's probably about .000001% - and gays comprise 10% of the population.

You asked why I think multiple partner marriages should be allowed and marrying a 10 year old should not.

I answered. And my answer is correct for the question you asked. This dancing around and changing the parameters of the question after you get an answer is simply dishonest.

I note that you admit that you are not consistent with yourself. Pretty weak.

You note that? lol And from what did you draw that conclusion?

I think marriage is quite significant. That is why I am so adamant that gays be allowed to marry.

Those who try and reduce gay marriage to nothing more than sex are the ones who diminish the meaning of marriage.

The gov't sanctioning of marriage is, however, a social contract. I am not in favor of abolishing marriage. But I am in favor of removing teh gov't from the equation, along with the benefits granted.

It is because it is so significant that I oppose undermining it in the name of the flavour of the day. Marriage, as a union between a man and a woman, is one of the cornerstones of our society. Compared to these sorts of fundamental norms, al recent (i.e. not more than a few hundred years old) written laws and constitutions are really pretty minor scraps of paper.

If indeed the government sanctioning of marriage is merely a social contract, than the solution is simple: abolish civil marriage and return to the tradition of marriage as a religious ceremony (personally I don't favour this).

Homosexuality has been around as long as we have recorded history. The fact that we have only recently stopped actively persecuting it does not make it the "flavor of the day".

These people are in dedicated, long term relationships. If you look at the people who get married when states wake up and allow it, the couples have often been together for decades. Flavor of the month? Before you call those couples that, try and look at the number of straight marriages that do not last a single year.

The idea of homosexuals getting married is an extremely recent demand and is very much "flavour of the day". Denying this is simply denying facts.

In every state where gay marriage was put to a vote of the people, the people voted against gay marriage. This happened in 28 states.

Gay marriage has only been legalized in states where courts or legislators acted. Sometimes against the will of the popular vote.

From wikipedia:

Out of 28 states where constitutional amendments or initiatives that define marriage as the union of a man and a woman were put on the ballot in a voter referendum, voters in all 28 states voted to approve such amendments

Last edited:
You asked why I think multiple partner marriages should be allowed and marrying a 10 year old should not.

I answered. And my answer is correct for the question you asked. This dancing around and changing the parameters of the question after you get an answer is simply dishonest.

I note that you admit that you are not consistent with yourself. Pretty weak.

You note that? lol And from what did you draw that conclusion?

So you feel brothers and sisters and fathers and daughters should be allowed to marry as long as they are adults?

In every state where gay marriage was put to a vote of the people. The people voted against gay marriage. This happened in about 30 states.

Gay marriage has only been legalized in states where courts or legislators acted. Sometimes against the will of the popular vote.

So maybe we should put to a vote anti discrimination laws as well.

The rights of minorities should not be put to a popular vote. A republic is not supposed to be subject to mob rule.

Even in California you couldn't get a majority for it, and that's a pretty insane state.

In every state where gay marriage was put to a vote of the people. The people voted against gay marriage. This happened in about 30 states.

The rights of minorities should not be put to a popular vote. A republic is not supposed to be subject to mob rule.

EXACTLY.

Thank you.

In every state where gay marriage was put to a vote of the people, the people voted against gay marriage. This happened in about 30 states.

Luckily we do not live in a true democracy where mob rule can vote against a minority.

Indeed a state should not be ruled by mob rule. That's precisely why I oppose the introduction of gay marriage to appease a flash mob of so-called "enlightened" people.

Forum List

Back