Abolish drunk driving laws.

Scrapping the DWI offense in favor of better enforcement of reckless driving laws would also bring some logical consistency to our laws, which treat a driver with a BAC of 0.08 much more harshly than, say, a driver distracted by his kids or a cell phone call, despite similar levels of impairment.

Poor innocent drunk drivers. Always getting a bad rap in this unfair society.

:cuckoo:

Abolish Drunk Driving Laws - Reason.com

He makes a good argument.Please read the article before making asinine responses to what it says.

I wouldnt abolish them, what I would do is set up the BAC trip at around 0.12-0.14 for stops, and if you get into an accident that is your fault, AND you are over 0.08 or so, bye bye liscense for a year at a minimum, and jail if someone is hurt/dies without the mitigation for alcohol.

Ignoring the obvious violation of the 4th and 5th Amendments, drunk driving laws are only good for fattening municipal coffers, putting people in jail who do not belong there, wrecking families, causing people to lose their jobs, enriching trial lawyers, and embarrassing decent people.

The DUI business is big business... what with court fees, legal fees, monitoring devices, counseling fees, etc.

Never gonna happen.

Ignoring the obvious violation of the 4th and 5th Amendments, drunk driving laws are only good for fattening municipal coffers, putting people in jail who do not belong there, wrecking families, causing people to lose their jobs, enriching trial lawyers, and embarrassing decent people.

How is it violating the 4th and 5th?

A car is a vehicle. The vehicle is operating in a public space.

The obvious solution of course..is not to drink and drive.

• Banned
Scrapping the DWI offense in favor of better enforcement of reckless driving laws would also bring some logical consistency to our laws, which treat a driver with a BAC of 0.08 much more harshly than, say, a driver distracted by his kids or a cell phone call, despite similar levels of impairment.

Poor innocent drunk drivers. Always getting a bad rap in this unfair society.

:cuckoo:

Figured you would come up with an idiotic response. You saw what you wanted to see and didn't comprehend it all...I hate drunk drivers they are a danger to people on the road but this article is spot on.

California has scrapped drunk driving laws for under the influence laws. Meaning it doesn't have to be alcohol, just under the influence of some kind of substance that reduces cognitive awarness.

The article itself doesn't make any sense. It supposes that police officers who are at inspection points would better serve the publicv if they were on patrol. It makes as much sense as the speeder who tells the officer giving him a ticket "Why aren't you out arresting REAL criminals".

The drunk driving checkpoints have greatly reduced the numbers of drunk drivers on the road.

Drunk drivers in the US have it easy compared to other countries.
Australia - Immediate loss of license for a minimum of six months if it is your first offense and a permanent loss for your second offense (source)
Canada - First offence: $1,000 fine, 1-year driving prohibition; second offence: 30 days jail, 2-year driving prohibition; third or subsequent offence: 120 days jail, 3-year driving prohibition (source)
Costa Rica - A fine of about $500, loss of license for 2 years, and possible confiscation of your car or even jail time (source)
El Salvador - Anyone with a BAC over 0.01 (which is effectively zero tolerance), automatic license suspension, seizure of your vehicle and probable fines (source)
England - Lose of license for a minimum 1 year (3 years for 2nd offence if within 10 years), substantial fine and possibility of up to 6 months imprisonment (source)
Finland - Drivers guilty of driving while intoxicated face a fine or imprisonment for up to two years (source)
France - Your car will be confiscated, three year loss of license, possibility of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine (source)
New Zealand - A fine of at least $1,000 and depending upon your age and BAC level, the lose of your license for at least three months (source)
Norway - Fines between 6,000 to 8,000 Norwegian krona, which is around $1,000 - $1,500 US dollars (source)
Russia - A first-time offender convicted of a DUI can have their license suspended for up to two years; In addition, knowingly allowing an intoxicated person to drive can get your license suspended; Refusing a field or chemical sobriety test can result in a fifteen day imprisonment (source)
Sweden - A BAC over 0.02 will result in fines based upon how much money you have in the bank, possibly have your car seize and sold off and being sent to an alcohol treatment program (source)

The only thing that will happen is that BAC levels will continue to drop so as to ensnare more and more people.... To me, impaired is impaired... why not the same draconian punishment for those texting, talking, eating, and other ways impaired? Shit, I drive a lot and I can tell you, I run across TONS of people swerving all over the place because they're to busy yakking on the phone or texting.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
So because DUI laws have inspired authorities to set up roadblocks, we should abolish them?

How about we just abolish roadblocks?

Im sorry. But I cannot agree to abolish DUI laws. There has to be consequences when someone foolishly puts others at risk.

I wont object to amending DUI laws not to include bicycles though.

The only thing that will happen is that BAC levels will continue to drop so as to ensnare more and more people.... To me, impaired is impaired... why not the same draconian punishment for those texting, talking, eating, and other ways impaired? Shit, I drive a lot and I can tell you, I run across TONS of people swerving all over the place because they're to busy yakking on the phone or texting.

Good point.

Good point.

Exactly.. if some impaired asshat totals your car or worse (God forbid), does it really matter why he was impaired?

How is it violating the 4th and 5th?

A car is a vehicle. The vehicle is operating in a public space.

How does a car being a vehicle (how wonderfully circular) negate someone's right not to be illegally seized and searched and forced to give evidence against himself?

Lat time I checked, automobiles were, at least nominally, private property.

Last edited:
AcCap, every now and then you do not sound like a total kook. Mind you, that is rare. About 95% of the tme, you sound like someone who is typing on an Ipad that was smuggled in to Bellview. This in of the 95% variaty.

I have had no less than 5 freinds and familiy members killed by drunk drivers. I know a guy right now who has had 4 DWI's, and all he got was 30 days in the county slammer, under a work release program, so he would no lose his job (plus 5 years probation). He has never hurt anybody...yet. He is only 50, so he has plenty of tme to kill somebody. They took away his licence over a year ago. they put a breathalizer on his vehicle a year ago. He overcomes all obsticles to drink and drive. Yet our community is so small, that he could ride a bike anywhere.

Society is only safe if this guy is locked away.

I ride a motocycle. About 3 yeays ago, a guy who was high on meth, driving a dump truck, plowed through 8 motorcyclists stopped at a red light, killing 5 of them. Drunk motorists are motorcylists worst nightmare.

If the guy that I know ends up klilling somebody, he should end up serving his 5 year sentence wih the judge as his cell mate.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back