Alan Dershowitz on Trump indictment: "First year law students could get this dismissed”

He is not wrong. This is going to end in embarrassment for Bragg and the left.

Law Professor Lawrence Tribe, being interviewed on Lawrence McDonnell's 'The Last Word" spoke of the senators who voted to acquit Donald Trump, regarding Dershowitz's defense of Trump:

"Not only is he out on a limb from every other scholar, he's out on a limb from the constitution"

Dershowitz has continued to embarrass himself in the legal community, who is now considered as a outlier with his views.

“Without a crime, there can be no impeachment,” Dershowitz said.

That is NOT what the constitution says.

Dershowitz has lost all credibility.

Does that guy live in your head. If it wasn't for you morons keeping him alive, he would have faded away a couple years ago. It is clear who the Trump cry babies are--you keep posting about him.
He sure lives in yours. Keep on crying, you big baby.

Law Professor Lawrence Tribe, being interviewed on Lawrence McDonnell's 'The Last Word" spoke of the senators who voted to acquit Donald Trump, regarding Dershowitz's defense of Trump:

"Not only is he out on a limb from every other scholar, he's out on a limb from the constitution"

Dershowitz has continued to embarrass himself in the legal community, who is now considered as a outlier with his views.

“Without a crime, there can be no impeachment,” Dershowitz said.

That is NOT what the constitution says.

Dershowitz has lost all credibility.
Where did you get your law degree compared to where Dershowitz got his?

You care to wager about Dershowitz's claim of a first year law student getting this dismissed.
Or in fact any lawyer getting this entire indictment dismissed.

Alan Dershowitz on Trump indictment: "First year law students could get this dismissed”​

I don’t have a law degree but I do watch Judge Judy every day

That qualifies me to mock Dershowitz for selling his legal opinion to the highest bidder
Not to outdo the op, BUT, he watches Judge Jeanine. Religiously.

th

Alan is an idiot. It's a sealed indictment. He doesn't even know what the charges are let alone the evidence. Only a fool speaks to something they know nothing about. Alan is a big mouth fool.

Just like Trump and all you other losers ? Not quite. You don’t even know the charges.

I think it should end in his being disbarred, and possibly for election interference. He is using a trumped-up nothing charge to keep the #1 nominee from running for president.

The criticism is Tribe's, a law professor.
Please reread my comment. My conclusion is drawn from Tribe's criticism.

Moreover, one doesn't need a law degree to know that Dershowitz's claim that
a president cannot be impeached unless there is crime is false.

Moreover, on an anonymous debate forum such as USMB, degrees do not matter (because we cannot verify our credentials), only the argument matters, which I will posit, as follows:

Professor Dershowitz's claim is not accurate because it misunderstands the constitutional basis for impeachment. The Constitution provides that a president may be impeached and removed from office for "high crimes and misdemeanors." However, the term "high crimes and misdemeanors" does not refer exclusively to violations of criminal law.

The phrase "high crimes and misdemeanors" is a term of art that refers to a range of misconduct by public officials, including abuse of power, breach of public trust, and behavior that undermines the integrity of the office. The framers of the Constitution intended impeachment to be a remedy for serious abuses of power by the president, even if those abuses do not rise to the level of a criminal offense.

In fact, several of the articles of impeachment approved by the House Judiciary Committee against President Richard Nixon in 1974 one was not a crime, abuse of power (but obstruction of justice, and contempt of Congress, are).

Moreover, the claim that impeachment requires a criminal offense is not supported by historical precedent. In 1868, the House of Representatives impeached President Andrew Johnson for violating the Tenure of Office Act, which was a civil statute rather than a criminal law. Johnson was ultimately acquitted by the Senate, but the fact remains that he was impeached for conduct that did not constitute a criminal offense.

By making this claim, Dershowitz, once respected in the legal community, who, in fact, once held the opposite view, then flipped on it when defending Trump and has been backpedaling on the point ever since, is now an embarrassment. In a tweet, he wrote 'abuse of power and obstruction of congress are not criminal like behavior' (thus not impeachable, though obstruction of congress IS a crime), 'criminal like behavior akin to bribery and treason is required', which contradicts the historical context of the meaning of 'crimes and misdemeanors' of the Constitution, I no longer can heed his opinions regarding legal matters. Had he researched the issue more thoroughly, which a scholar must do, there is no way he would hold this view, and thus his opinion is substandard

See: Trump Lawyer Alan Dershowitz Abandons His Position That Impeachment Requires a Crime

Despite the article's title, he has not actually abandoned it, as his qualification of and backpedaling on the controversy of his claim reveals in the article.

In summary, Professor Dershowitz's claim that impeachment requires a crime is not accurate. The Constitution provides for impeachment and removal of the president for "high crimes and misdemeanors," a term that encompasses a range of serious misconduct by public officials, including abuse of power, breach of public trust, and behavior that undermines the integrity of the office. Impeachment does not require the commission of a crime, and historical precedent supports this interpretation.

As always, this is my lay understanding of law, as "IANAL".

Last edited:
I think it should end in his being disbarred, and possibly for election interference. He is using a trumped-up nothing charge to keep the #1 nominee from running for president.
What are you talking about.
It has been stated that trump can get convicted and still run from prison.
Sad, but true.

So tell us again how this >>>>>> is true? He is using a trumped-up nothing charge to keep the #1 nominee from running for president.

Similarly, the articles of impeachment approved by the House of Representatives against President Bill Clinton in 1998 did not allege violations of criminal law, but rather perjury and obstruction of justice.
Perjury is not a violation of criminal law? Nice to know. You're dismissed.

The criminal offense of perjury consists...

Are you shitting me ? Youre now blaming one man for bringing an argument before a grand jury AND WINNING the case by vote of the grand jury.

Why are you blaming the DA ? Why not the grand jury ?
Is it because Trump singled him out ? Of course, that’s how he works.

Are you shitting me ? Youre now blaming one man for bringing an argument before a grand jury AND WINNING the case by vote of the grand jury.

Why are you blaming the DA ? Why not the grand jury ?
Is it because Trump singled him out ? Of course, that’s how he works.
The DA is in a position of power to use the law to influence an election and get rid of the most likely opponent. As far as the jury, they‘re a bunch of NY leftists who would try to put Trump in prison if he didn’t separate the plastic water bottle from the rest of the trash.

Forum List

Back