America is not in decline and actually on the verge of resurgence

Well, that is the way a 'Conserative' defines success. After all, they are so proud of the Bush 2 economic successes.

We're living it currently under O. Bush' economy was actually magnitudes better until the housing crash.

That darned Housing Crash! :lol:
All Obama's fawlt.

And 6 years after he said he'd fix it he hasn't.

Are we still blaming Bush?

fig2.jpg

I have no doubt that America will resurge. But it will be done despite Democrat and progressive Republican policies. Not because of them.

We never recovered from the dot com crash.
The Housing Bubble was a gimmick that worked for 2 years.

America became great when the US had a strong middle class.
There is nothing on the horizon that suggest that the middle class will again be strong and viable. With a weak middle class there will never be a true resurgence for America.

The rich are sucking the middle class to death :(

Just out of curiosity, do you ever listen to how stupid you sound?

Well, that is the way a 'Conserative' defines success. After all, they are so proud of the Bush 2 economic successes.

We're living it currently under O. Bush' economy was actually magnitudes better until the housing crash.

That darned Housing Crash! :lol:
All Obama's fawlt.

Nope. It was the fault of Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, the Congress and George Bush. Obama has more than enough trash lying at his doorstep.

America became great when the US had a strong middle class.
There is nothing on the horizon that suggest that the middle class will again be strong and viable. With a weak middle class there will never be a true resurgence for America.

As I've stated many times - Obama is trying to destroy the middle class and has been since the day he took office.

The middle class is the result of capitalism. There is not another country on this planet that has fostered a "middle class" like the United States. NOT ONE.

Obama despises capitalism and would like nothing better than to see only the very rich and the very poor - the poor dependent on the government and ONLY the government.

Unfortunately, as in everything else in his life, he has been a miserable failure and the middle class continues.

How can the naysayers possibly dispute this wealth of information? We shall see.

Top five myths about the U.S. economy

Top five myths about the U.S. economy | Daily Ticker - Yahoo Finance

Much has been written about the decline of the U.S. as a world leader since the financial crisis. But despite relatively high unemployment and a widening income gap between the rich and everyone else, growth is accelerating, debt is declining and the banking sector is relatively healthy.

There is a bigger factor in our long term economic strength and that is the fact that we have a large number of young people who have been holding off on starting their families for many different reasons. Those aged 20 to 35 now number approximately 75 million. As they begin having kids of their own, they will need bigger homes and bigger cars. Then we will need more teachers and more of this and more of that.

Most people are satisfied arguing their stupid ideologies as to the cause of this long recession, some blaming Bush, some blaming Obama, some blaming them both. The fact is that the real cause of the recession is the fact that the baby boomers stopped spending money about ten years ago. Greenspan kept interest rates so low that it created the housing bubble. During those few years, we avoided a recession but the housing bubble was going to burst one way or another. The thing is that all of it was caused because baby boomers made a drastic cut in their spending habits. At the same time, kids of the boomers were taking their time getting going, and that lapse is what really killed us.

As for our long term debt, we could find ourselves in very good shape again if we can just get people back to work again in jobs that pay enough so that those people will be paying a decent amount in taxes. Basically, it's all about the middle class.

How can the naysayers possibly dispute this wealth of information? We shall see.

Much has been written about the decline of the U.S. as a world leader since the financial crisis. But despite relatively high unemployment and a widening income gap between the rich and everyone else, growth is accelerating, debt is declining and the banking sector is relatively healthy.
If everything would be fine, US would not be so desperate to medal in the middle east, it would mind it's own business.

don't you love these people telling you, you aren't really suffering though you are LIVING with it

man oh man, scary

Depends IF we can go back to the 1950's, 1960's and 1970 economic idea's of success ;) innovation, tech, education and r@D all the way!

Won't happen. Mainly, because it's not the 50s, 60s, or 70s anymore. That time was a certain place along a journey for our society, and it gave rise to a new way of thinking that changed everything else such that we cannot go back. We can only see it out. Which for us means that capitalism is no longer going to be a practicable economic model in the near future.

There is a bigger factor in our long term economic strength and that is the fact that we have a large number of young people who have been holding off on starting their families for many different reasons. Those aged 20 to 35 now number approximately 75 million. As they begin having kids of their own, they will need bigger homes and bigger cars. Then we will need more teachers and more of this and more of that.

Most people are satisfied arguing their stupid ideologies as to the cause of this long recession, some blaming Bush, some blaming Obama, some blaming them both. The fact is that the real cause of the recession is the fact that the baby boomers stopped spending money about ten years ago. Greenspan kept interest rates so low that it created the housing bubble. During those few years, we avoided a recession but the housing bubble was going to burst one way or another. The thing is that all of it was caused because baby boomers made a drastic cut in their spending habits. At the same time, kids of the boomers were taking their time getting going, and that lapse is what really killed us.

As for our long term debt, we could find ourselves in very good shape again if we can just get people back to work again in jobs that pay enough so that those people will be paying a decent amount in taxes. Basically, it's all about the middle class.

You raise some interesting and valid points. I don't know that it's really appropriate to settle on those facts as the "cause" of our current economic woes. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's kinda like saying "The reason we die of old age is because our hearts eventually stop." Our hearts eventually stopping are an effect of the aging process, so the explanation doesn't really tell us much about why we get old in the first place.

For example, as you point out, many younger people have been delaying starting a family. I don't see that as a cause of our economic woes. At most, it's reinforcing feedback. The economic times we live in have forced their hand.

When I was in HS, the idea of being 25 and living with your parents was pretty much laughable by most social standards. We would have seen it as a clear sign that you are failing at life. The year after I graduated, I worked in a few odd jobs as I saved money for bigger and better things, and I had a boss who had just broken up with her boyfriend of the time. One of the reasons she cited was that "He's 24 and lives with his mom still. I tried to get him to get an apartment with me plenty of times, but he's just comfortable in his little hole. He has no desire for anything more in his life. No passion, no ambition." I remember at the time thinking, "WTF, how can a grown man not be embarrassed to live with his mother still?" Don't get me wrong, we all make mistakes and 24 is still young, and I never thought it was horrible thing to go back to your parent's place if things had gone bad for a while. But back then, the idea was always that at most, one should live with their parents as an adult only as a temporary measure in extremely bad times, long enough to get going again. Continuing to live at your parents' house well into your 20s with no particular plan to hurry up and get out ASAP was a clear sign of someone who wasn't going anywhere, and probably had no desire to go anywhere. Anyone with self respect would avoid such a situation if for no other reason than to make sure they did not get mistaken for the appearance of a life loser.

Of course, that was me as part of the X/Y generation. As an adult I have a circle of friends that covers the spread behind me all the way behind me to one who just turned 21 a couple months ago, and I see that the world has quickly changed. The younger Millenials generation behind me, including a few who are only three or four years younger than me, have found themselves living with their parents for the majority of their adulthood. Not because they're life losers. Many of them are college graduates, have been working in their career fields for years. But necessity controls. The economy revolves around the two income household nowadays. Some people lived with their boy/girl friends. And that led to getting married because, at that point, may as well, right? And then ended up divorced and back with mom and dad again out of necessity. Especially if children came from the marriage before it was over. For others, living with mom and dad has caused them to delay or avoid starting a family or getting married. Because, if you still live with mom and dad, are you really ready to get involved in a serious relationship? Can you support a family? Can you support a wife?

My point in all of this is that there are a lot of small pieces of the puzzle that cause other pieces. But it's really difficult to say that any one piece, or any group of pieces, is the cause of the entire whole. Just like all human stories, our current economic problems are a progressive compilation where the interior components are merely reflections of the larger evolution of the story.

Forum List

Back