An Elizabeth Warren Quote Spreading On Social Media; Any Brainy Responses?

So what, if anything, would be the solution to the problem Warren poses?

Precisely?

And, since no solution is perfect, what would be the potential problems?

What worked before? Income inequality has never been at the level it is now.

Our tax policies got us here, why do you think they can't get us out of here?
Well, because I'm neck-deep in this stuff as part of my profession, I have to think about this stuff quite a bit. Given the current nature of the global economy, we would be able to increase personal income tax rates only so far, and not as high as they were in the 50's and 60's.

I would support adding two new margins, one at 44.9% and one at 49.9%. I think we could get away with that without much macro damage.

But that would not be enough to address this, not even close. This is a very complex issue and not solved with one approach.

In 40 years the gap between CEO pay and worker pay has gone from 20 times the average worker to over 300 times the average worker. There's something wrong with that. The average worker isn't working any less hard than they were before, they're working harder in fact.

It's a complex issue that isn't going to be solved by the people making 300 times the salary of the working guy. If the government elected to represent that working guy doens't do anything about it, the alternative is seldom pretty.

concorde2.jpg

And what is amazing is how conservatives will look at that figure and start ranting about how lazy and stupid workers are

You know.......there is nothing stopping those workers from becoming CEOs

What amazes me about Liberals is how they can claim to hate Bankers then support a Senator who LOVES Bankers!
I doubt Sen. Warren loves bankers but it is clear she cares about the plight of the working class far more than anyone else in national politics, my question to you is why is that a bad thing? No one else is even talking about them. The best you can get out of any of the others is a kind of vague lip service for the middle class while they mainly occupy themselves with the concerns of big business. The pendulum has been swinging towards plutocracy for many years, how far do you think it still has to go before conservatives are satisfied?
Warren is connecting with working Americans and confirming what they already know......they are not getting a fair shake

While she may not win the Presidency, she will turn the conversation to the plight of working Americans

What amazes me about Liberals is how they can claim to hate Bankers then support a Senator who LOVES Bankers!
I doubt Sen. Warren loves bankers but it is clear she cares about the plight of the working class far more than anyone else in national politics, my question to you is why is that a bad thing? No one else is even talking about them. The best you can get out of any of the others is a kind of vague lip service for the middle class while they mainly occupy themselves with the concerns of big business. The pendulum has been swinging towards plutocracy for many years, how far do you think it still has to go before conservatives are satisfied?
Warren is connecting with working Americans and confirming what they already know......they are not getting a fair shake

While she may not win the Presidency, she will turn the conversation to the plight of working Americans

Spoken as a TRUE BELIEVER ...a Trotskyite, if you will.... the very definition!

You don't know what you're talking about. When you think the height of American prosperity was? With the gap between rich and poor the lowest?

FACTS sometimes are very revealing rather then GUESSES like you are doing......
The number of U.S. households with a net worth of $1 million or more, excluding primary residence, rose to 9.63 million in 2013, according to a new report from Spectrem Group, a consulting and research firm.
Number of millionaire households in the U.S. reaches high - Mar. 14 2014
So as a percent of the 115,610,216 USA Households, in 2013 works out to 8% of all households have $1 million net worth.
(Persons per household, 2009-2013 2.63)

In 1850, the US was home to 19 millionaires. By the end of the 1890's the number of millionaires in the US had swelled to more than 4,000.
American Experience . America 1900 . People amp Events PBS
In 1890 when there were 4,000 millionaires there were 12,690,000 households OR 3/10th of 1% or 0.032%
U.S. Households Families and Married Couples 1890 2006

8% of households in 2013 are millionaires versus 0.032% in 1890... would that not mean the PIE is getting bigger and more importantly more of us
are getting a share of that PIE???
OH to discount argument about inflation?
In 1850 one dollar could buy what $25.82 buys today.

lol, you're proving MY point, dumbass.
It's kind of disheartening to see these people react to good honest American populism with horror and revulsion and instinctively close ranks around the financial elite.

It's even more disheartening for people who react to those of us THAT DID good old fashion minimum wage jobs as being for and against!
I guess the disgusting aspect is the people who ONLY want to feed a person a fish making that person dependent on handouts RATHER then
helping that minimum wage worker learn common business skills that helps the person feed themselves!
Why is the first response by people like you is that people like me that worked our way up from very dirty manual minimum wage jobs to
where now as a part owner of a company I'll get a check without even going to work!
That should be the goal for ALL of us including you rather then acting as animals fighting for tidbits.
The pie gets bigger all the time and people like me who worked at very dirty manual labor jobs knowing that those skill sets were NOT enough
became better educated and thus able to raise OURSELVES rather then depend on the government are getting a piece of that growing pie.
Just a very simple fact that I hope causes you to think:

That attitude was certainly prevalent in the early days of capitalism i.e. when the GDP in
GDP in 2005 dollars Population GDP per capita in 2005 dollars.
1800 $ 12,987 5,297,000 $ 1,396
1900 $ 422,843 76,094,000 $ 5,556
2009 12,987,400 307,483,000 $42,247
Measuring Worth - GDP result.
If you don't understand this... THE PIE has constantly gotten bigger and MORE people are sharing in the pie's growth!
JUST think for a second... how many of your relatives in the 1900s could send messages instantly to anyone around the world as well as selfies!!!
The poorest people in the USA have more services then the wealthiest people did in the 1940s!!!
So, in your opinion, having most of our nation's private wealth locked up in the hands of a very few while wage growth stubbornly remains flat despite astonishing gains in productivity is not a problem we need to be addressing, got it.

"Having it locked up? You mean allowing the people who earned it to keep it? Since when is that a problem? Preventing people from taking what we have earned is the only reason to have a government. When government becomes the predator, then the basis for civil war is laid.

Wealthy people have the vast bulk of their money invested. That means it's being used to create jobs and produce wealth. There couldn't be a bigger catastrophe for the economy than allowing government to confiscate private wealth. Anyone who whines about income inequality is actually just a thug who is advocating the destruction of society.

Last edited:

You mean she's playing to the mob and promising them ill-gotten swag taken from its rightful owners. Warren is a thug, and so are all the people who support her.

"The total amount of money that Wall Street handed out in BONUSES last year was DOUBLE the total income of ALL FULL TIME Minimum Wage Workers. That's obscene.. ~Elizabeth Warren

Any significant brainy responses to this?

I think in the end of this discussion, most people will notice our Economy was exactly like it was just before the Great Depression. A few had it all and the majority had little. What's sad is the poor people are fighting for their own poverty, they think they will get paid more if their employers aren't restricted by Big Gov......Yea, Your employer is using you like a tool to lower restrictions to make even more profits and make you more poor. Thanks for playing.

Small business will not make it into this discussion because it didn't have enough $ to buy politicians.

Why do you hate Hillary?

I never realize the RightWingNut was THIS MUCH into being a full on subversive....but if you give them enough rope, and read their postings, sooner or later the REAL Marxist comes out! Must pay more attention to this radical!

You mean she's playing to the mob and promising them ill-gotten swag taken from its rightful owners. Warren is a thug, and so are all the people who support her.

Warren's problem is she plays to the moronic fools who have not the slightest inkling how to get ahead, you'd think they would have it figured out after six years of Obungles

Warren's problem is she plays to the moronic fools who have not the slightest inkling how to get ahead, you'd think they would have it figured out after six years of Obungles

Free shit, and little work, makes for an easily manipulated population! Damn, I see ILLEGALS are going to get 4 years worth of TAXES back from the IRS.... BUYING the illegal, indigent vote, and the feckless Republicans do nothing about it, and only a handful say anything, fallen on the DEAF, and left loving MSM to report on..... So sad to see LIBERTY and FREEDOM die of NEGLECT!

Inequality in income is the straight and direct and undeniable function of:

Inequality in ambition.
Inequality in desire.
Inequality in brains.
Inequality in education.
Inequality in honest self evaluation.
Inequality in facing reality.

Income inequality comes from one group having the power to exploit another group.
And that is our problem

For the last thirty years we have relied on the largess of the wealthy to do the right thing......They haven't

The working class has two things in their favor.......the ability to collectively bargain and the government

Republicans have been attacking both

Inequality in ambition.
Inequality in desire.
Inequality in brains.
Inequality in education.

Income inequality comes from one group having the power to exploit another group.
And that is our problem

For the last thirty years we have relied on the largess of the wealthy to do the right thing......They haven't

The working class has two things in their favor.......the ability to collectively bargain and the government

Newsflash: The wealthy doesn't owe you a damn thing, not one damn thing

I don't know how anyone can live in this world for 30 or 40 years without figuring out how to get ahead. Furthermore, by the time they become parents, they should have figured it out and trained their kids in how to get ahead. What I've seen time and time again is that kids who do well in life have parents that coach them on what to do. Kids that do poorly in life have parents that let them run around like wild animals. When you see kids being taken to soccer practice and Karate school and who get help with their homework and are made to sit down and do it every night, you see kids who are going to be successes. That's all it takes: a little diligent coaching from parents.

Warren is questioning who the rightful owners are

Inequality in ambition.
Inequality in desire.
Inequality in brains.
Inequality in education.

And that is our problem

That is obvious they don't. That is why the whole concept of supply side economics is doomed to fail

Warren is questioning who the rightful owners are

That's what thugs do. They claim they own things they did nothing to earn.

That's what makes you a thug. A decent society would put people like you in prison camps.

Inequality in ambition.
Inequality in desire.
Inequality in brains.
Inequality in education.

And that is our problem

That is obvious they don't. That is why the whole concept of supply side economics is doomed to fail

I don't see the connection.

So what, if anything, would be the solution to the problem Warren poses?

Precisely?

And, since no solution is perfect, what would be the potential problems?

What worked before? Income inequality has never been at the level it is now.

Our tax policies got us here, why do you think they can't get us out of here?
Well, because I'm neck-deep in this stuff as part of my profession, I have to think about this stuff quite a bit. Given the current nature of the global economy, we would be able to increase personal income tax rates only so far, and not as high as they were in the 50's and 60's.

I would support adding two new margins, one at 44.9% and one at 49.9%. I think we could get away with that without much macro damage.

But that would not be enough to address this, not even close. This is a very complex issue and not solved with one approach.

In 40 years the gap between CEO pay and worker pay has gone from 20 times the average worker to over 300 times the average worker. There's something wrong with that. The average worker isn't working any less hard than they were before, they're working harder in fact.

It's a complex issue that isn't going to be solved by the people making 300 times the salary of the working guy. If the government elected to represent that working guy doens't do anything about it, the alternative is seldom pretty.

concorde2.jpg

And what is amazing is how conservatives will look at that figure and start ranting about how lazy and stupid workers are

You know.......there is nothing stopping those workers from becoming CEOs
yep . Like Ken Lay for instance.

Inequality in ambition.
Inequality in desire.
Inequality in brains.
Inequality in education.

And that is our problem

Do you ever tire of spewing left loon BS? If you want to get ahead, you and anyone else, get off your dead ass and apply yourself. Nobody owes you a thing

Forum List

Back