Another one bites the dust: Trump announces he is not running for President

Trump collapses
Donald Trump has had one of the quickest rises and falls in the history of Presidential politics. Last month we found him leading the Republican field with 26%. In the space of just four weeks he's dropped all the way down to 8%, putting him in a tie for fifth place with Ron Paul.
As Trump got more and more exposure over the last month Republicans didn't just decide they weren't interested in having him as their nominee- they also decided they flat don't like him. Only 34% of GOP voters now have a favorable opinion of Trump to 53% who view him in a negative light.

Trump really made hay out of the 'birther' issue and as the resonance of that has declined, so has his standing. In February we found that 51% of Republican primary voters thought Barack Obama was not born in the United States. Now with the release of his birth certificate only 34% of GOP partisans fall into that camp, and Trump's only in fifth place with that now smaller group of the electorate at 9%.

Public Policy Polling: Trump collapses

Well, I for one am glad that folks who support the GOP want nothing to do with fringe wackos. They are smart enough to realize the a circus side show many be entertaining but that's NOT what they want in their leadership.
That gives me at least some hope for the GOP.
And birthers/deathers, maybe you can find some way, way fringe party you can join that supports your wackiness. :cuckoo:

I know that greatly disappoints you liberals out there.

This guy was never a serious contender and was only hyped up by the media because he is a TV personality.

Hyped by the media?

How do you explain the 26% of republicans that wanted him as their president?

Trump collapses
Donald Trump has had one of the quickest rises and falls in the history of Presidential politics. Last month we found him leading the Republican field with 26%. In the space of just four weeks he's dropped all the way down to 8%, putting him in a tie for fifth place with Ron Paul.
As Trump got more and more exposure over the last month Republicans didn't just decide they weren't interested in having him as their nominee- they also decided they flat don't like him. Only 34% of GOP voters now have a favorable opinion of Trump to 53% who view him in a negative light.

Trump really made hay out of the 'birther' issue and as the resonance of that has declined, so has his standing. In February we found that 51% of Republican primary voters thought Barack Obama was not born in the United States. Now with the release of his birth certificate only 34% of GOP partisans fall into that camp, and Trump's only in fifth place with that now smaller group of the electorate at 9%.

Public Policy Polling: Trump collapses

Well, I for one am glad that folks who support the GOP want nothing to do with fringe wackos. They are smart enough to realize the a circus side show many be entertaining but that's NOT what they want in their leadership.
That gives me at least some hope for the GOP.
And birthers/deathers, maybe you can find some way, way fringe party you can join that supports your wackiness. :cuckoo:

This guy was never a serious contender and was only hyped up by the media because he is a TV personality.

Hyped by the media?

He had a message the resonated with a lot of Republicans. Too bad it was mostly just campaign rhetoric with no substance behind it.

How do you explain a similar number of Democrats who supported Scott Brown?

Or the 50+% of all voters who wanted Barack Obama as their president?

Did anyone believe he was really thinking of running for president?

I do

He started out doing typical Trump media whoring. He woke up and found he had scammed enough dimwitted Republicans to lead the polls. At one point he thought, this birther stuff is easy

The wakeup call came when Obama slapped him around on the birth certificate and killed Bin Laden Trumps numbers dropped twenty percent overnight and now it looks like a big joke

Deep down I think he really was thinking about it. And had he received higher favorables or lower negatives, and if he hadn't been so thoroughly maliciously trashed by the media and on the message boards, I think he probably would have waded in. But he's nobody's fool and saw early on that he was never going to get a fair hearing nor was the media or Obama worshippers going to ever consider his message but would continue to focus on him in a mostly hostile manner.

Again, I don't think he ever would have gotten the nomination. But I do regret him dropping out early and not hanging in there longer to create real debate instead of us having nothing but sound bites and canned talking points for the next 18 months.

I think he was seen as a huge threat by both the Obama administration and the wingnuts who support Obama though because the reaction to him was immediate, intense, and viscious.

I do

He started out doing typical Trump media whoring. He woke up and found he had scammed enough dimwitted Republicans to lead the polls. At one point he thought, this birther stuff is easy

The wakeup call came when Obama slapped him around on the birth certificate and killed Bin Laden Trumps numbers dropped twenty percent overnight and now it looks like a big joke

Then the joke was on you. How many times before now did he "run"? He already had a proven track record of whoring for publicity and then backing out. Did you not know this?

Deep down I think he really was thinking about it. And had he received higher favorables or lower negatives, and if he hadn't been so thoroughly maliciously trashed by the media and on the message boards, I think he probably would have waded in. But he's nobody's fool and saw early on that he was never going to get a fair hearing nor was the media or Obama worshippers going to ever consider his message but would continue to focus on him in a mostly hostile manner.

Again, I don't think he ever would have gotten the nomination. But I do regret him dropping out early and not hanging in there longer to create real debate instead of us having nothing but sound bites and canned talking points for the next 18 months.

I think he was seen as a huge threat by both the Obama administration and the wingnuts who support Obama though because the reaction to him was immediate, intense, and viscious.

Yeah, maybe he just wanted the groundswell of support. You and I part ways when you say he was anything even close to threatening to Obama. I think he even hurt the Republicans because he connected the teaparty birthers to right wingnuts.

Its gonna be ROMNEY!

The Morman guy is the winner, barring an unforseen incident.

I don't think it's appropriate for the president to "publicly humiliate" a private citizen - or anyone for that matter.

You do?

What other president has ever publicly humiliated an individual?

Awwww....poor child

Donald looked like he was going to throw a temper tantrum at the Corresponents Dinner

Hard to believe some right wingers took him seriously.....right slooki?

You going to answer my question of are you going to continue to deflect -

I don't think it's appropriate for the president to "publicly humiliate" a private citizen - or anyone for that matter.

You do?

Obama did not publicly humiliate Trump. Trump didn't need any help doing that. :lol:

Don't give yourself too much credit. Anyone with an IQ over room temperature knew he was playing a PR game. He never had any intention of running.... one wonders how people could be stupid enough to fall for his bullshit.

:lol:

Plenty of people went for the sham.

Plenty.

Especially the 26% of Republican voters who wanted Trump as their candidate

Does it hurt to be this stupid? Serious question.

I do

Then the joke was on you. How many times before now did he "run"? He already had a proven track record of whoring for publicity and then backing out. Did you not know this?

I've lived in the New York area my whole life. I know Trumps games. This time was different. Trump actually convinced idiot Republicans to support him. He was ready to go when he was leading the polls. When the polls crashed...so did his campaign hopes

Yeah, maybe he just wanted the groundswell of support. You and I part ways when you say he was anything even close to threatening to Obama. I think he even hurt the Republicans because he connected the teaparty birthers to right wingnuts.

I didn't say he was threatening Obama. I said Obama and his supporters saw him as a threat. That is pretty crystal clear to the objective observor simply based on Obama's reaction to Trump and how Obama's supporters have reacted to Trump.

And he didn't hurt the Republicans in the least, most especially since most Republicans didn't support him. In the eyes of the Obama-ites, the Tea Party is scum anyway and nothing related to the Tea Party would make much difference. Not to mention that there ARE no birthers in the Tea Party movement. The Tea Party is not and has never been about the birth certificate or any other issue like that.

There have been some birthers who also participate in the Tea Party movement which is not the same thing.

Hyped by the media?

He had a message the resonated with a lot of Republicans. Too bad it was mostly just campaign rhetoric with no substance behind it.

How do you explain a similar number of Democrats who supported Scott Brown?

Or the 50+% of all voters who wanted Barack Obama as their president?

I vote for the highlighted part to be the 2012 GOP presidential slogan.

I applaud The Donald's deft use of the political arena to generate publicity for his reality TV program at the expense of an army of gullible and weak-minded birfers.

Well done Trump! :thup:

I do

I've lived in the New York area my whole life. I know Trumps games. This time was different. Trump actually convinced idiot Republicans to support him. He was ready to go when he was leading the polls. When the polls crashed...so did his campaign hopes

How Serious Was Donald Trump About 2012?

For the third time since 1988, Trump flirted with a run before ultimately rejecting the idea. As he said in a statement, “business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector.”

But he was apparently ready to think about it -- so much so that Trump had been meeting with political consultants on a weekly basis and talking to them on the phone even more frequently. Last Thursday they handed him a campaign plan complete with suggested names for a campaign manager, a finance director and even a team to run his political website.

“He was more serious than a lot of people realize,” John McLaughlin, one of the consultants working closely with Trump, said in an interview with ABC News. “He definitely had a path to victory -- it would have been a tough path.”

Last edited:
I applaud The Donald's deft use of the political arena to generate publicity for his reality TV program at the expense of an army of gullible and weak-minded birfers.

Well done Trump! :thup:

It seems Trump was far more important to the Left then anyone else as noticed by all the insipid hate spewed at him from the left. Quite entertaining.

Forum List

Back