Anyone hear about contact tracing????

I had to give my first name and phone # to the waitress at my favorite diner the other day when I went in for lunch. There were only two other tables of customers. No touristas around yet. We have no cases here. So I'm not real worried about it. But WHY are they making life so difficult for restaurants when we can go in and spread our germs in the grocery store and mini mart and Dollar Store and THEY don't require our name and phone #. It's like they hate restaurants or something.

I had to give my first name and phone # to the waitress at my favorite diner the other day when I went in for lunch. There were only two other tables of customers. No touristas around yet. We have no cases here. So I'm not real worried about it. But WHY are they making life so difficult for restaurants when we can go in and spread our germs in the grocery store and mini mart and Dollar Store and THEY don't require our name and phone #. It's like they hate restaurants or something.
I would have turned around and walked out.
I have no problem with a business requiring a mask or distancing.

I have a MAJOR problem with anyone I don't know asking for my personal information

Weren't you defending Janet Mills' orders the other week?

Actually, this is an ESSENTIAL part of preparedness for a serious pandemic. It is why Taiwan and South Korea were able to nip Covid-19 in the bud. More than “lockdowns,” which are truly draconian blunt instruments that have terrible economic consequences, testing and electronic contacting-tracing are crucial to quarantining infected individuals and protecting public health.

If the next epidemic is much more lethal, like EBOLA, or if there is some other catastrophe, we may pay profoundly for our paranoia, and regret not having had more trust. Right now we can be tracked by our cellphones, and private corporations know more about our every purchase than our own families, but local public health agencies have almost no capacity to find, notify, warn and if necessary quarantine infected individuals even temporarily during an emergency. We get calls about missing children, stolen cars, but nothing about a restaurant we ate in where the cook has a terrible infectious disease. Our paranoia may one day literally kill us.

I would have turned around and walked out.
I have no problem with a business requiring a mask or distancing.

I have a MAJOR problem with anyone I don't know asking for my personal information
I'm a regular and they not only know me, I also paid with my debit card, so they've got more than my first name anyway. I don't mind them having my phone number, and it's in my bank records. I'm not going to handle filthy cash during this outbreak just to be "secretive." All that does is save the contact tracers a little time if they discover someone got sick.

We've been very very lucky here. I want it to stay that way, and if helping them do the job of contact tracing faster is a help to them, I'll pitch in.

Sounds like another power grab. Technocrat state keeps on going.

Contact tracing is what they do at the outset of an outbreak, not months into a pandemic. Locking down the population via social media tracking software is what this is. See social media social currency control of the Chinese people for better understanding.

I have not heard all the ins and outs of it. I know many will feel like it is an intrusion, and it is. Since the beginning of this thing after trump ineffectively ordered the first shutdown of flights into the country from some parts of the world, I thought that at the same time, they should have been identifying and contact tracing those that came in through customs from those banned flight areas at that point and two weeks before that point for monitoring, contacts and if necessary individual quarantine. To this day, I think that might have helped identify and cut down on the spread from our ports of entry and that it was a failure that it was not included in the original incoming travel bans. It is one of the reasons we were not effective early enough, that led to the US leading the world in cases and deaths. There have been many more failures, almost a perfect storm, since. If I turn up sick, I will be glad to let tell them who I have been in contact with if asked.

Contact tracing is what they do at the outset of an outbreak, not months into a pandemic. Locking down the population via social media tracking software is what this is. See social media social currency control of the Chinese people for better understanding.
We are not totalitarian China. I have read about how cell phones are being used to "track" people in this country and it only gives an idea of how many people are in a given area at a given time. They do not have access to individuals' information or identities. It is a crowd monitoring thing. How many people are on Fifth Avenue at 10 a.m., for instance. China was using phones to trace individuals' movements and the individuals did not have the right to tell them to go fry ice. In America, we can turn the tracker OFF, it's not a secret. And not even for mass murder are the police allowed to enter the privacy of a person's phone records. Remember San Bernardino?

You need to get a grip.

Does anyone really think this contact tracing is ever going to end? It’s not. They got you so concerned about this virus the next could be just around the corner...

And therefore it’s for your own good.

Every power grab they are doing will never end if you submit to it.

Keep thinking you have a Constitutional right to privacy. As you give it up, forever.

We are not totalitarian China. I have read about how cell phones are being used to "track" people in this country and it only gives an idea of how many people are in a given area at a given time. They do not have access to individuals' information or identities. It is a crowd monitoring thing. How many people are on Fifth Avenue at 10 a.m., for instance. China was using phones to trace individuals' movements and the individuals did not have the right to tell them to go fry ice. In America, we can turn the tracker OFF, it's not a secret. And not even for mass murder are the police allowed to enter the privacy of a person's phone records. Remember San Bernardino?

You need to get a grip.

Do you really think Canada isn’t a half step away from China? They can track you. And you morons give up your guns.

You’re the perfect sheep.

Weren't you defending Janet Mills' orders the other week?
And I've cooperated with them, I see the sense in most of them. Does it make sense to you that they ask for our name and phone # at a restaurant but not in the store? They have half the seating blocked off so customers are seated far apart from each other. The wait staff are masked. So what is this added hoop for?

Forum List

Back