Are Christians Political Chumps for voting Republican?

[

progressives have completely distorted our history......most of the Founders were Christians....did you know that 9 of the 13 Colonies had state religions....it was only the Federal goverment that had 'separation of church and state'....in other words no national religion was allowed....?

Exactly the point, they were trying to avoid the kind of State Religion that England had where a bunch of otherwise nice folks got beheaded or burned at the stake because the King or Queen got a new religion. Let's review, shall we.

Henry VIII- Switches from Catholicism to Protestant.
Edward VI - Creates an even more radical version of Protestantism
Mary I - Switches back to Catholicism
Liz I - Switches back to Protestantism. Beheads her cousin to keep Catholics off the throne.
James I- Make England's church more like Scotlands.
Charles I - Loses his head to the Puritans.
Cromwell- Imposes religious crazy on the whole country.
Charles II - Talks everyone off the ledge.
James II- Tries to take the country back to Catholicism, gets deposed.

Well, you get the idea of why State Churches where considered a horrible idea by the Deists who founded the country. So they wrote their demise in the first amendment and we are all better off for it.

Think about it.

Assume for a moment that you are red state Christian who isn't rich or a CEO or has a stock portfolio.

You just vote for the Republicans because they are right with Jesus.

So what do you have to show for your efforts?

Abortion - Still legal after 41 years.
Creationism - Still not being taught in the Schools.
Gay Marriage- 16 states and counting
Prayer In Schools - Still ain't gonna happen.

What you did get were free trade treaties that sent your job to China and a Bank Deregulation taht left you with an underwater mortgage, but you didn't get any of those things that make Baby Jesus Cry repealled.

I am so relieved to know that the Democrats had nothing to do with any of that. ;) What a relief. ;)Maybe you could explain to me exactly what the New World Order, or Statist Progressivism, is connected to Christianity? :popcorn:

[

spoken like an atheist commie who has no respect for the 1st Amendment....or for life.....or social structure.....or just about anything that America started with....

really don't think Obama believes in the Bible.....he'd rather mock it....and praise the Koran...

[]

I have a lot of respect for the First Amendment, written by Diests who had just watch 200 years of European Kings killing each other and a lot of innocents over whether or not Jesus was made of Wafers or not.

The Founding Fathers might have been a bunch of slave-rapists who didn't want to pay their fair share of taxes, but they also had the good sense to realize religions was full of shit.

Thus, they were Deists. About the best you could get in the 18th century.

progressives have completely distorted our history......most of the Founders were Christians....did you know that 9 of the 13 Colonies had state religions....it was only the Federal goverment that had 'separation of church and state'....in other words no national religion was allowed....?
One thing is sure: the First Amendment wasn't written by Deists. Mason and Madison were anything but Deists. The only Deist among the founders that I know of was Thomas Paine, and even he was considered more of an atheist by his countrymen than a Deist. I'm not even sure Thomas Jefferson was a Deist so much as he was a Unitarian.

And another thing is sure: you're right. Progressives do not know our history. I've already encountered a number of erroneous statements by them on these boards in the brief time I've been here.

[

you were once a fetus yourself.....with a beating heart and brain waves and tiny little fingers and toes....all the apparatus and chromosomes to become a fully developed human being.....guess you got lucky and were allowed to live....

So why is that relevent to anything.

I was once spooge, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to give civil rights to spooge.

[

you were once a fetus yourself.....with a beating heart and brain waves and tiny little fingers and toes....all the apparatus and chromosomes to become a fully developed human being.....guess you got lucky and were allowed to live....

I was once spooge, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to give civil rights to spooge.

no you weren't......life begins with conception....a scientific fact....

[]One thing is sure: the First Amendment wasn't written by Deists. Mason and Madison were anything but Deists. The only Deist among the founders that I know of was Thomas Paine, and even he was considered more of an atheist by his countrymen than a Deist. I'm not even sure Thomas Jefferson was a Deist so much as he was a Unitarian.

And another thing is sure: you're right. Progressives do not know our history. I've already encountered a number of erroneous statements by them on these boards in the brief time I've been here.

Guy, most history departments teach that the Founders were not conventional christians. The founding of the Country happened between bouts of religious stupid. (Also known "Great Awakenings")

Religion has never done a good thing in the whole of human history, not even by accident.

[

No, life began 4 billion years ago and is an ongoing process.

An individual doesn't exist until he or she is born.

This is the fact you religious nutters can't get your heads around, I know. And the Plutocrats have robbed you fucking blind distracting you with this bullshit.

[

Exactly the point, they were trying to avoid the kind of State Religion that England had where a bunch of otherwise nice folks got beheaded or burned at the stake because the King or Queen got a new religion. Let's review, shall we.

Henry VIII- Switches from Catholicism to Protestant.
Edward VI - Creates an even more radical version of Protestantism
Mary I - Switches back to Catholicism
Liz I - Switches back to Protestantism. Beheads her cousin to keep Catholics off the throne.
James I- Make England's church more like Scotlands.
Charles I - Loses his head to the Puritans.
Cromwell- Imposes religious crazy on the whole country.
Charles II - Talks everyone off the ledge.
James II- Tries to take the country back to Catholicism, gets deposed.

Well, you get the idea of why State Churches where considered a horrible idea by the Deists who founded the country. So they wrote their demise in the first amendment and we are all better off for it.

you're missing the point that our Founders were most Christians who actively pursued their religions within the States they lived in....no 'separation of religion and state' except in the national sense.....they even prayed and used Bibles in the early schools....

Last edited:
[]One thing is sure: the First Amendment wasn't written by Deists. Mason and Madison were anything but Deists. The only Deist among the founders that I know of was Thomas Paine, and even he was considered more of an atheist by his countrymen than a Deist. I'm not even sure Thomas Jefferson was a Deist so much as he was a Unitarian.

Guy, most history departments teach that the Founders were not conventional christians. The founding of the Country happened between bouts of religious stupid. (Also known "Great Awakenings")

Religion has never done a good thing in the whole of human history, not even by accident.
This does not correct your previous mistakes.

And actually, the Enlightenment preachers, for the most part, were also Enlightenment thinkers, and advocated American independence.

[q

you're missing the point that our Founders were most Christians who actively pursued their religions within the States they lived in....no 'separation of religion and state' except in the national sense.....they even prayed in the early schools....

No, the Revolution happened during a period known as the "Enlightenment".

Also known as "Smart people were figuring out the religious were full of shit and told them to shut the fuck up."

Sadly, it didn't last long enough to cure us of religious stupidity, because too many stupids want to be reunited with their childhood puppies in heaven.

This is the fact you religious nutters can't get your heads around, I know. And the Plutocrats have robbed you fucking blind distracting you with this bullshit.

that so..? well i'd like to see how a human begins life through your "ongoing process" instead of through conception....i.e. egg + sperm.....

And actually, the Enlightenment preachers, for the most part, were also Enlightenment thinkers, and advocated American independence.

No mistakes were made.

the late 18th century was an enlightened time when religion was rejected.

It just didn't go far enough.

An individual exists at conception, though he becomes a citizen once born (or naturalized).

Last edited:

that so..? well i'd like to see how a human begins life through your "ongoing process" instead of through conception....i.e. egg + sperm.....

Thousands of women will go to abortion clinics next week, and not a one of them will think of it as a "baby".

Deal with it.

I vote for republicans because no matter how bad a republican might be, they are not nearly as vile as democrats.

if you cant see that both parties are dragging this Country down......then you are a chump.....

But only one party (the Dumbocrats) are fast-tracking this nation to hell (the other party is slowly taking this party to hell). And if you can't see that.....then you are a really dumb chump.

if their both doing it then i was right....right?...and if you are agreeing.... where is calling me a chump come in?......

[q

you're missing the point that our Founders were most Christians who actively pursued their religions within the States they lived in....no 'separation of religion and state' except in the national sense.....they even prayed in the early schools....

No, the Revolution happened during a period known as the "Enlightenment".

Also known as "Smart people were figuring out the religious were full of shit and told them to shut the fuck up."

Sadly, it didn't last long enough to cure us of religious stupidity, because too many stupids want to be reunited with their childhood puppies in heaven.

did you not know that 99% of those 'Enlightened Ones' were religious.....?

No mistakes were made.

the late 18th century was an enlightened time when religion was rejected.

It just didn't go far enough.
You really are ignorant. Christianity - even evangelical Christianity - was spreading during the Enlightenment. It's not difficult to find sermons by preachers of the era who sensed a sort of revival with the looming revolution.

Of course, not all the founders really appreciated it. Jefferson, for one, was somewhat perturbed at the spread not only of evangelical Christianity but also of capitalism (yes, Americans were becoming prosperous even in the 18th century).

Think about it.

Assume for a moment that you are red state Christian who isn't rich or a CEO or has a stock portfolio.

What you did get were free trade treaties that sent your job to China and a Bank Deregulation taht left you with an underwater mortgage, but you didn't get any of those things that make Baby Jesus Cry repealled.

Jesus essentially told us to be entirely responsible for ourselves... while also being charitable to others who're, for whatever reason, less fortunate than ourselves... calling on us to give such folks whatever you can outta your own pocket...

Dem's/libs wanna make such action mandatory, rather than voluntary... which is not at all what Jesus had in mind...

Think about it.

What they get are politicians who will lie to them, who will assuage their fear of change, diversity, and expressions of individual liberty most social conservatives and Christian fundamentalists incorrectly perceive to be a ‘threat.’

Think about it.

The reason I vote Republican is because my views closely reflect the views of the Republican party. I am aware that abortion and gay marriage are legal, and that the GOP may not be able to outlaw these practices. However the reason why these practices may not be outlawed has nothing to do with the Republican party, they are not to blame. The Democrats are the ones who are fighting to keep abortion and gay marriage legal. Why would I vote for a party that supports policies that I disagree with?

Forum List

Back