Atheists reject Christian answers to the big questions but have no answers of their own

You don't know what my beliefs are. But yes, when it comes to the completely unknown, you can make up anything you want and claim it's true. It doesn't matter what you're rationale is, because you can't be proven wrong. Even if many aspects of your beliefs have been proven wrong in the past, you can still cling to the ones that are impossible to test.

It's why people can wear colander's on their heads in driver's license photos, because you can't prove the flying spaghetti monster didn't create everything, and you can't prove that those people don't actually believe that.
Doesn't make a difference what your faith is. I'm just interested that you say you have no evidence to support your faith.
I don't. Neither do you.
I do. But you're not interested in it.
Countless people from other religions claim to have as much evidence for their religions as you do yours. Many claim to have more.

If we go by your standards, then I also have plenty of evidence that my beliefs are more correct than yours. But you're probably not interested.
A. You don't know what evidence I have.
B. One just needs to see what a faith does for society. In our case, it created the greatest nation in world history.

A. I'm pretty sure I do. I've seen it presented countless times.
B. The first sentence fails, since faith often has a negative role in society, especially as you've claimed above that faith other than your own is harmful. The second sentence is also an opinion (that I happen to agree with), and I would argue that one of the foundations of our country's greatness is that our government is barred from endorsing or enforcing religious beliefs.

You don't know what my beliefs are. But yes, when it comes to the completely unknown, you can make up anything you want and claim it's true. It doesn't matter what you're rationale is, because you can't be proven wrong. Even if many aspects of your beliefs have been proven wrong in the past, you can still cling to the ones that are impossible to test.

It's why people can wear colander's on their heads in driver's license photos, because you can't prove the flying spaghetti monster didn't create everything, and you can't prove that those people don't actually believe that.
Doesn't make a difference what your faith is. I'm just interested that you say you have no evidence to support your faith.
I don't. Neither do you.
Countless people from other religions claim to have as much evidence for their religions as you do yours. Many claim to have more.

If we go by your standards, then I also have plenty of evidence that my beliefs are more correct than yours. But you're probably not interested.
B. One just needs to see what a faith does for society. In our case, it created the greatest nation in world history.

:lol:

Faith didn't "create" this society. Men did.

faith-means-the-purposeful-suspension-of-critical-thinking-its-nothing-to-be-admired-faith-quote.png

tumblr_m3b1oxkCR21r7qpeho1_1280.jpg

I don't. Neither do you.

Men and women fleeing England due to oppression, seeking freedom, including freedom of religion. Regardless of whether Atheists want to acknowledge it or not, religion was a part of the reason this Nation was formed. While it likely wasn't the entire/only reason, it was certainly a big factor.

Religion also played a part in some of our earliest laws. Though, given your response and how oddly technical it was, I suspect you're not even debating, just trolling.

I don't. Neither do you.

Men and women fleeing England due to oppression, seeking freedom, including freedom of religion. Regardless of whether Atheists want to acknowledge it or not, religion was a part of the reason this Nation was formed. While it likely wasn't the entire/only reason, it was certainly a big factor.

Religion also played a part in some of our earliest laws. Though, given your response and how oddly technical it was, I suspect you're not even debating, just trolling.

You think that directly responding to another post's claim is "trolling"?

I don't. Neither do you.

That was the pilgrims. 150 years before the country was formed.

The pilgrims, btw, did not pay taxes to the British.

No, I think not actively providing actual substance to the conversation is trolling. 'No, men did' is the type of sarcastic answer you give someone when you just want them to go away.

Had they not left for those reason, the Nation wouldn't have been formed in the first place. The people who formed the Nation were people of faith, too, though. You know, given the usage of the word "Blessings" in the preamble.

No, I think not actively providing actual substance to the conversation is trolling. 'No, men did' is the type of sarcastic answer you give someone when you just want them to go away.

Well, I'm sorry that my post didn't meet your standards, but I really couldn't care less. I'm guessing this is more about your own defense mechanisms than anything I posted.

My post had more "substance" than your scolding of me did.

Well, I'm sorry that my post didn't meet your standards, but I really couldn't care less. I'm guessing this is more about your own defense mechanisms than anything I posted.

First, "I couldn't care less" means you do care, at least a little. Second, my post actually contained facts that expanded upon Weatherman's claim, and your claim, showing that he was right, people of faith did, in part, build this Nation. Faith was a part in the establishment of this Nation. Third, my scolding wasn't an integral part of my post, just the only part you chose to focus on, likely because you couldn't refute the rest.

First, "I couldn't care less" means you do care, at least a little. Second, my post actually contained facts that expanded upon Weatherman's claim, and your claim, showing that he was right, people of faith did, in part, build this Nation. Faith was a part in the establishment of this Nation. Third, my scolding wasn't an integral part of my post, just the only part you chose to focus on, likely because you couldn't refute the rest.

First of all, you should go listen to your Weird Al mp3s again - I said "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less".

Second, I didn't "chose to focus" on the rest of your post because it's irrelevant to the point I was making.

First of all, you should go listen to your Weird Al mp3s again - I said "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less".

Second, I didn't "chose to focus" on the rest of your post because it's irrelevant to the point I was making.
"I couldn't care less" also means you care at least a little. If you actually don't care, it's easier to just say "I don't care", anyway, and it's actually accurate. My post completely relevant and on topic. It's on the topic of faith and its part in building this Nation, which is what you and Weatherman were discussing. As it is, your focus on that part of my post and not responding to the rest of it is derailing the thread and the discussion.

The problem with theism is that every faith and religion has an equal claim at being the correct one. Including extinct and forgotten religions. And including atheism.
Yep. That's why when I decided that I had never faced the ultimate issue of Gods existence I studied all religions to determine who had the truth. I could have followed any belief in my research to answer the ultimate issue in life. Years later a reporter for the Chicago Tribune did homework to prove his wife's faith in Christ was wrong. He instead formed the same conclusion I did.

As I posted in another thread, no other faith is a life changer like Christianity. Angola prison is filled with 80% of their inmates serving life sentences and averaged 40 murders a year. A new warden came in and ordered prisoners and guards to treat each other with dignity as if they were all created in Gods image. He opened a Christian college and several chapels within the prison. Angola basically became a Christian seminary with a number of inmates becoming ordained Pastors. There has not been a murder in Angola since 1996.
Countless people from every religion on the planet share your same opinion about their religion. And they also have their own examples that they claim proves their opinion as fact.
That's what I said. But unfortunately Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam use violence and/or society pressure to maintain their faiths.

And no, only Christianity has the track record of making civilization better.
Not true at all. The other religions have all had successful civilizations. And Christianity has committed its fair share of atrocities. Hinduism was part of successful civilizations going back thousands of years before Christianity.

Also, there are countless people from other religions who share the same opinion of their religion as you just shared about yours.
Depends upon your definition of successful civilization. Rome was successful for over a thousand years. It also expanded by military conquest, had slaves, held games with humans dying for entertainment, etc. Muslims consider their civilization superior also. I'm sure women, homosexuals, and non Muslims disagree as well as the Muslims who don't like living in a police state.

Rome was very successful- until it adopted Christianity.

What a mealy mouthed statement "only Christianity has the track record of making civilization better'- mealy mouthed of course because you will only accept as 'better' whatever you deem to be better- and will discount any contributions by any you don't agree with.

Pretty much every civilization and faith has made 'civilization' better- because our advances have been incremental.

Greeks developed many of the key ideas of our Western civilization before there was a Christian religion.
Hammurabi developed a legal system before there was a Christian religion.
And we can go on and on- from advances in agriculture to sanitation systems.

Anyone who claims that 'only Christianity has a track record of making civilization better is either a) ignorant or b) so blinded by their faith that they are willfully ignorant.

Not true at all. The other religions have all had successful civilizations. And Christianity has committed its fair share of atrocities. Hinduism was part of successful civilizations going back thousands of years before Christianity.

Also, there are countless people from other religions who share the same opinion of their religion as you just shared about yours.
Depends upon your definition of successful civilization. Rome was successful for over a thousand years. It also expanded by military conquest, had slaves, held games with humans dying for entertainment, etc. Muslims consider their civilization superior also. I'm sure women, homosexuals, and non Muslims disagree as well as the Muslims who don't like living in a police state.
Yes at the end of the day, as always when it comes to discussing which of the many past, present, and future religions is the true and correct one, it all comes down to opinion with 0 definitive evidence.
Interesting you think your beliefs have just as much evidence as mine.

You are welcome to believe whatever you want, but let's not kid ourselves about "evidence".
Let me rephrase that.
Evidence for those who have an open mind.

Evidence for those who are gullible and blinded by their religious faith.

I don't. Neither do you.

Men and women fleeing England because of religious oppression- came here and almost immediately insisted on religious oppression of those who lived in their communities who didn't believe in their particular flavor of Christianity.

Early American history is filled with the tales of one American community banishing or oppressing those who didn't agree with them- and taxing people to pay for their churches.

Religion did play a part in some of our earliest laws- for better and for worse- but most of our laws came from English common law.

Had they not left for those reason, the Nation wouldn't have been formed in the first place. The people who formed the Nation were people of faith, too, though. You know, given the usage of the word "Blessings" in the preamble.

You think the United States would not have been formed if the Pilgrims had not come here?

LOL.

People who came to the United States were in most cases required by local law to belong to the official church. Jews and Musselmen might get exemptions but would still have to pay taxes to support the local churches.

You think the United States would not have been formed if the Pilgrims had not come here?

LOL.

People who came to the United States were in most cases required by local law to belong to the official church. Jews and Musselmen might get exemptions but would still have to pay taxes to support the local churches.
Certainly wouldn't be the United States that was formed. If those particular people hadn't come here, we wouldn't have had the same people revolting against England, nor would we have had the same results, likely not the same laws, nor the same Constitution. Maybe a Nation would be formed, but it certainly wouldn't be the same.

I don't agree with laws forcing people to go to churches, nor supporting Churches with taxes. It's a silly concept.

Not true at all. The other religions have all had successful civilizations. And Christianity has committed its fair share of atrocities. Hinduism was part of successful civilizations going back thousands of years before Christianity..

lol ... what is its 'fair share' of atrocities? Christianity has committed zero atrocities, and the countries that are under some Christian influence have committed far fewer than any others. Again you just want to conduct some smear job about a theology you know nothing about, but want to be 'fashionable and bash it with nonsense and falsehoods, hardly a 'rational' position to have.

The problem with theism is that every faith and religion has an equal claim at being the correct one. Including extinct and forgotten religions. And including atheism.
Yep. That's why when I decided that I had never faced the ultimate issue of Gods existence I studied all religions to determine who had the truth. I could have followed any belief in my research to answer the ultimate issue in life. Years later a reporter for the Chicago Tribune did homework to prove his wife's faith in Christ was wrong. He instead formed the same conclusion I did.

As I posted in another thread, no other faith is a life changer like Christianity. Angola prison is filled with 80% of their inmates serving life sentences and averaged 40 murders a year. A new warden came in and ordered prisoners and guards to treat each other with dignity as if they were all created in Gods image. He opened a Christian college and several chapels within the prison. Angola basically became a Christian seminary with a number of inmates becoming ordained Pastors. There has not been a murder in Angola since 1996.
Countless people from every religion on the planet share your same opinion about their religion. And they also have their own examples that they claim proves their opinion as fact.
That's what I said. But unfortunately Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam use violence and/or society pressure to maintain their faiths.

And no, only Christianity has the track record of making civilization better.

Buddhism is violent?

Link?

Burma and Thailand are two countries where Buddhists are currently waging a war to drive out Islamists.

Where do people get the idea that Christianity of Buddhism are somehow not supposed to defend themselves from violence and oppression? It's stupid and false delusion, and apparently a widespread one among the ignorant.

Atheists reject Christian answers to the big questions but have no answers of their own.

So if you are an atheist, you basically have no idea how we got here, why we got here, where we are going, or even if there is a damn reason for all of it.

Atheists disbelieve in Christian theories, but they lack theories of their own.

Atheism is not the opposite of Christianity, it is a nullification of Christianity, but has no positive qualities of its own.

Atheism does not even have rules to guide you through life like do not steal, do not kill, do not bear false witness, do not commit adultery. Atheists can follow these rules, but they have no compelling reason to do so.

There is no reason to be an atheist, unless you like having no rules to guide you in life, and want to break the Christian rules and think you are getting away with it.

The price you pay for being an atheist, however, is giving up the hope of life after death, and giving up the belief that life has meaning, or that good ultimately triumphs over evil.

it's not only atheists who think christianity is misguided. personally, i don't care what you choose to believe. my issue is that you're arrogant enough to think others are supposed to believe it too.
If a Christian really believed in what they say they do, how much would they have to hate you to not tell you the good news?

The rewards are for them. The fate of a burning, eternal hell are for everybody else. There's one kinda troublesome verse concerning that:

Revelation 21:8 (KJV)

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

Forum List

Back