BLS Jobs Report = up 467,000, WTF?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Job growth rose far more than expected in January despite surging omicron cases that seemingly sent millions of workers to the sidelines, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Nonfarm payrolls surged by 467,000 for the month, while the unemployment rate edged higher to 4%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Dow Jones estimate was for payroll growth of 150,000 and a 3.9% unemployment rate.

This is in sharp contrast to the ADP report that came out Wednesday with drastically different numbers, so WTF? Either I'm missing something or somebody is lying. Could be both I guess. Anybody got any answers?

Job growth rose far more than expected in January despite surging omicron cases that seemingly sent millions of workers to the sidelines, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Nonfarm payrolls surged by 467,000 for the month, while the unemployment rate edged higher to 4%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Dow Jones estimate was for payroll growth of 150,000 and a 3.9% unemployment rate.

This is in sharp contrast to the ADP report that came out Wednesday with drastically different numbers, so WTF? Either I'm missing something or somebody is lying. Could be both I guess. Anybody got any answers?
BLS is controlled by the democrats. Of course it is going to show stats that favor them.

Yup, it’s Democrat monkey math at work.

Read the actual report:

Unemployment rate rose to 4.0%
Number of unemployed persons stayed the same 6.5 million.
Job leavers increased to 952,000.
Temporary layoffs increased to 959,000.
Permanent job losers 1.6 million.
Persons jobless in last 5 weeks : 2.4 million

Labor force participation rate holds at 62.2%.
5.7 million looking for a job not counted as unemployed.
6 million unable to work due to pandemic, up from 3.1 million in December.
1.8 million prevented from working due to pandemic but are not counted as unemployed.

What’s the underlying formula?

Read the actual report:

1.8 million prevented from working due to pandemic but are not counted as unemployed.

I see this:

The number of persons not in the labor force who currently want a job was little changed
at 5.7 million in January.

I don't think we can be too happy about such gaudy numbers if this umber isn't getting smaller.

Read the actual report:

it say there right in your report, "Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 467,000 in January"

it say there right in your report, "Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 467,000 in January"
The ADP report came out with underperformance and the stock market plunged. Now today its a "great" report all of a sudden??
Is the ADP report not controlled by our current administration?

Did not look at all the definition s and scope of the survey but these things matter. You can create let's say 500 k in jobs fill half of them. One survey only track jobs created the other track jobs filled. Quick 250 k difference in reporting .

And yet millions more jobs lost.
So, nonfarm payroll employment raises by 467k, but jobs created fails by 300-500k....is that correct? And the net impact is we still are not creating jobs, right? Or losing jobs?
Are we cutting actual growth jobs and counting welfare type jobs, like Obama did with all his part time jobs during his time?

The disappointment among the right is palpable.

So, nonfarm payroll employment raises by 467k, but jobs created fails by 300-500k....is that correct? And the net impact is we still are not creating jobs, right? Or losing jobs?

Maybe those 467k people went back to work in an existing job, not one already created? That makes some sense to me cuz the child care credit check stopped on Jan 1, so a lot of people had to go back to work to make ends meet.

Maybe those 467k people went back to work in an existing job, not one already created? That makes some sense to me cuz the child care credit check stopped on Jan 1, so a lot of people had to go back to work to make ends meet.
Hoping hawk or someone who understands the manipulation better than I do will explain. Today's report also could have been produced by Hunter Biden, that would explain it.

Hoping hawk or someone who understands the manipulation better than I do will explain. Today's report also could have been produced by Hunter Biden, that would explain it.

I'll be flat-out honest here, I do not trust any numbers or information coming out of any gov't agency. And not a whole lot of trust in reports coming from non-gov't agencies or organizations either. The results we see are directly related to the data input plus whatever the parameter values are. Changing the formula used probably means a code change, but you can monkey with the data or parameters that are input without changing anything.

Forum List

Back