Christian family facing deportation for homeschooling

Christianity has a much bloodier history than Islam does.

So ? History is History. Let's talk about current events. What values are Christians teaching their young vs Street values, video games and Sharia law ?

Frankly, there's a lot of positive stuff and negative stuff in all of them. Kind of depends on what the person takes away from it, doesn't it?

Weak answer. What values are in today's Christian teachings verses the city streets, violence in video games, and Sharia Law. Even though Christianity has some goofs and radical churches, I think I would rather have my kids learn the values of baisc Christianity before the others. The ten commandments, and love thy neighbor etc, sure beats the violence in gaming, the guns and drugs on the streets, and treating women like chattel

So ? History is History. Let's talk about current events. What values are Christians teaching their young vs Street values, video games and Sharia law ?

Frankly, there's a lot of positive stuff and negative stuff in all of them. Kind of depends on what the person takes away from it, doesn't it?

Weak answer. What values are in today's Christian teachings verses the city streets, violence in video games, and Sharia Law. Even though Christianity has some goofs and radical churches, I think I would rather have my kids learn the values of baisc Christianity before the others. The ten commandments, and love thy neighbor etc, sure beats the violence in gaming, the guns and drugs on the streets, and treating women like chattel

There are good values to be learned in Christianity, Islam, Judaism....and, frankly in secular philosophy.

There are also questionable values that spring from those same fonts.

Portions of the ten commandments are portions of an almost universal golden rule.

The Christian bible is full of nasty violence (which is funny since Biblical Law is essentially no different than Sharia law).

Last edited:
Not exactly the "whole story".

They aren't facing deportation for home schooling. Figures it's from Fox media.

The family is trying to claim asylum status because home schooling is illegal in Germany.

Home schooling isn't a "fundamental right".

German home-school parents appeal asylum ruling

Uwe and Hannelore Romeike (roh-MEYE-kee) claim in court documents that German schools are anti-Christian and the couple believe God wants them to teach their children at home.

Germany's government requires students to attend a state-approved school, and parents who violate the law can face fines, jail and possible custody loss.

and

The U.S. government said in court documents the Romeikes did not belong to any particular Christian denomination and described the parents' objections to the government-approved schools as vague.

For instance, Uwe Romeike claimed a textbook "featured a story suggesting that 'the devil can help you if you ask the devil, but God would not help you,'" the government said. But he could not recall the title of the story or its author.

Romeike also claimed the schools taught witchcraft based on a game played by classmates of his wife when she was in the seventh grade "that involved pushing chairs and glasses around, and dangling a pendulum."

Frankly, the family sounds a bit whacko, but count on the Home School Defense League to take up their case.
The family initially was granted asylum by U.S. Immigration Judge Lawrence Burman in Memphis in 2010. He concluded that "the (German) government is attempting to enforce this Nazi-era law against people that it purely seems to detest because of their desire to keep their children out of school."

On appeal, the Board of Immigration Appeals found Burman's assertion to be erroneous, and stated the record did not support the "inflammatory suggestion that it is a Nazi-era law."

Seriously....is this really an asylum case? And, who's to say that they, and their 5 children aren't using our welfare system? Who's supporting them?

Well, hell, they need to just climb over the fence at our southern border and then no one will say shit to them. They'll get amnesty and then can do whatever they please.

It's assinine to deport this family and work on amnesty for millions of illegals here already. This family is being singled out for a reason. Since when does Obama give a shit why people come here?

The family is trying to claim asylum status because home schooling is illegal in Germany.

Uwe and Hannelore Romeike (roh-MEYE-kee) claim in court documents that German schools are anti-Christian and the couple believe God wants them to teach their children at home.

Germany's government requires students to attend a state-approved school, and parents who violate the law can face fines, jail and possible custody loss.

and

Frankly, the family sounds a bit whacko, but count on the Home School Defense League to take up their case.
The family initially was granted asylum by U.S. Immigration Judge Lawrence Burman in Memphis in 2010. He concluded that "the (German) government is attempting to enforce this Nazi-era law against people that it purely seems to detest because of their desire to keep their children out of school."

On appeal, the Board of Immigration Appeals found Burman's assertion to be erroneous, and stated the record did not support the "inflammatory suggestion that it is a Nazi-era law."

Seriously....is this really an asylum case? And, who's to say that they, and their 5 children aren't using our welfare system? Who's supporting them?

Well, hell, they need to just climb over the fence at our southern border and then no one will say shit to them. They'll get amnesty and then can do whatever they please.

It's assinine to deport this family and work on amnesty for millions of illegals here already. This family is being singled out for a reason. Since when does Obama give a shit why people come here?
Democrats will always support criminals they hate people who do what they are supposed too do.

If they are here illegally it makes no difference what color they are or where they came from, it's time to go home. Bye.

If only they were having gay sex instead of being Christians...

No chance of deportation then...

Parents being able to teach their children their values is a right.

Nothing is saying they can't do that. They have plenty of time to do that.

But they are required to send their kids to school to get proper education, and Germany doesn't allow the stupidity known as Home-Schooling. We ought to ban it in this country. Never met a home-schooled kid who wasn't a little weird.

German laws say that if the parents don't want the state to teach them.

Actually, Germany has private schools, mostly run by the churches, and the government give vouchers to send kids there. The Germans actually have a right wing dream- school choice.

School Choice in German Primary Schools: How binding are school districts?

You just have to send them TO a school.

Nothing is saying they can't do that. They have plenty of time to do that.

But they are required to send their kids to school to get proper education, and Germany doesn't allow the stupidity known as Home-Schooling. We ought to ban it in this country. Never met a home-schooled kid who wasn't a little weird.

German laws say that if the parents don't want the state to teach them.

Actually, Germany has private schools, mostly run by the churches, and the government give vouchers to send kids there. The Germans actually have a right wing dream- school choice.

School Choice in German Primary Schools: How binding are school districts?

You just have to send them TO a school.

Yeah, all that looks like a smart move. Far better than having liberal activists teach kids to stomp on Jesus.

Okay, let's look at that.

Videogames actually do teach kids the value of problem solving and persistance. So there's that. I'm not sure what you are expecting them to do, other than be entertaining.

As for Sharia Law, there's a lot of positive stuff in the Koran, just like there's a lot of positive stuff in the bible.

Here's a list of positive verses in the Koran.

Good Stuff in the Quran

Now, I do find it amusing you list the ten Commandments as a source of value.

OOOOOkay.

The first four. All about how you need to worship an ominipotent, omniscient, capricious sky pixie. No other Gods, no Graven images, don't use my name in vain, keep the Sabbath Holy. I'm God, and I'm insecure.

Then you have the last one about "Coveting". Except our whole economic system is based on coveting things. So really, we are just down to five commandments.

We could go into the rest of the Mosaic law, which has such brilliant things as stoning your daughter if she's not a virgin on her wedding night, stoning a woman if she is raped in the city and doesn't cry out, letting a rapist pay a father 50 shekels to marry his daughter. Shit that makes the EEEEEEvil Sharia law seem progressive by comparison.

There are good values to be learned in Christianity, Islam, Judaism....and, frankly in secular philosophy.

Portions of the ten commandments are portions of an almost universal golden rule.

The Christian bible is full of nasty violence (which is funny since Biblical Law is essentially no different than Sharia law).

Agreed, but the difference is today's teaching and practices. I don't see Christian churches today teaching that women are inferior, and stoning unfaithful young girls. You can spin it anyway you want... there is a big difference in where young people get their influence. Who is more likely to succeed vs go to jail? A kid spending most of the day playing violent video games, Obeying Sharia Law, and handing on the streets at night, or a kid growing up in a Christian family and goes to Sunday School. I'd take the latter anyday.. (as long as some pervert Catholic priest doesn't get a hold of him) LOL..

you mean the most abused clause in the constitution used for an unintended power grab by corrupt motherfucking scum bag power hungry politicians?

And there is no way a parent home schooling a child is "commerce"

sure it is.

A well educated and socialized workforce is in the public interest..and done for the public good.

correct me if i am wrong, but aren't home schooled kids tested the same as children who attend public schools?
would like an answer to this question. But i don't i will get it.

and

It has nothing to do with Obama personally.

They do not meet the requirements for asylum.

Yes, they ARE being singled out - by the Christian Homeschooling rightwing whiners who seem to feel that this family is entitled to special handling simply because they want to homeschool, they happen to be Christian and white, and Germany (a country rich in benefits) has a law against homeschooling. Somehow when I think of asylum I picture people fleeing from war torn countries, victims of ethnic persecution and violence etc. I don't picture a pissy family feeling victimized because they can't homeschool.

Agreed, but the difference is today's teaching and practices. I don't see Christian churches today teaching that women are inferior, and stoning unfaithful young girls. You can spin it anyway you want... there is a big difference in where young people get their influence. Who is more likely to succeed vs go to jail? A kid spending most of the day playing violent video games, Obeying Sharia Law, and handing on the streets at night, or a kid growing up in a Christian family and goes to Sunday School. I'd take the latter anyday.. (as long as some pervert Catholic priest doesn't get a hold of him) LOL..

No there isn't. And it's basically the same religion. Christianity/Islam/Judaism all have roots in the same books. Religion is really..really...really..nuts.

All of them.

This is why Theocracy is a very very very bad idea.

Agreed, but the difference is today's teaching and practices. I don't see Christian churches today teaching that women are inferior, and stoning unfaithful young girls.

They exist. Look up Dominionists and Reconstructionists. Look at Christian Churches in other countries. Look at the Magdalene laundry scandals for how "fallen women" were treated by the Christian Church. Point is - the stuff is right there in the OT and NT.

You can spin it anyway you want... there is a big difference in where young people get their influence. Who is more likely to succeed vs go to jail? A kid spending most of the day playing violent video games, Obeying Sharia Law, and handing on the streets at night, or a kid growing up in a Christian family and goes to Sunday School. I'd take the latter anyday.. (as long as some pervert Catholic priest doesn't get a hold of him) LOL..

I'm not spinning anything. Sharia law varies in how it's practiced and interpreted and in many areas it applies only to civil law not criminal law. Like the Bible, the Koran has many beneficial passages that encourage compassion, charity, honesty, etc. And, like any religion a kid growing up in a Christian family and going to Sunday School can learn to hate just as easily as to love.

Parents being able to teach their children their values is a right.

And that "right" is not being infringed upon.
Yes it is.

Uh....explain to me how exactly they aren't able to teach their values? Does the child spend 24 hours 7 days a week in a school? Are parents incapable of talking to their children and discussing the merits and cons of what they are learning (if so they have no business home schooling)? Are their "values" so fragile they can not withstand the scrutiny of daylight?

Forum List

Back