Christian friends of gays and lesbians

There's really no compelling reason not to allow gay couples to marry.

There is nothing now nor has there been anything stopping gays from getting married. The problem is their marriage is not legally recognized by the federal government based on nothing more than sex discrimination. If I remember correctly, there are a plethora of federal laws prohibiting employment, loan , and educational discrimination based purely on sex but for some reason this principle has eluded application to same sex couples.

It's even more sad when you realize the federal government has no problem legally recognizing a marriage between a 40 year old and 15 year old.

This thread started out dead.

God does not hate gays. Christians (not meaning all of them, but in general) don't hate gays.

The Bible says that gay sex is sin, just like outside of marriage heterosexual sex is sin.

That statement is not at all bigotted, or hateful. It is what the Bible says, and what Christians believe.

I personally don't believe the story of the OP. I have lived on this earth for a good while now, and it is not as common as the OP says to have that many gay friends if you are a straight. It is not that common to even knoe that many gays (the Op seems to indicate that a large number of his/her peers are gay).

Should Christians befriend gays, yes, just like any other person. Do they have to approve of gay sex, no. Can they believe that the Bible is correct, and still have gay friends, yes. Can they have an active gay lifestyle and be a Christian? Not if they are in God's will.

There are many gay Christians, but they have usually chosen to not have gay sex relationships. That is what God calls for.

I have known a few gays over the years, and have not rejected any of them. However, when the issue comes up, I don't stray from telling them how I feel about the Bible's words.

If gay marriage is rightfully denied because it is a sin then all hetero marriages should be banned as well. Why? If the only valid marriage is one free of sin then no marriage on earth should be recognized since (according to mainstream Christian theology) we are all sinners.

Next!

God does not hate gays. Christians (not meaning all of them, but in general) don't hate gays.

The Bible says that gay sex is sin, just like outside of marriage heterosexual sex is sin.

That statement is not at all bigotted, or hateful. It is what the Bible says, and what Christians believe.

I personally don't believe the story of the OP. I have lived on this earth for a good while now, and it is not as common as the OP says to have that many gay friends if you are a straight. It is not that common to even knoe that many gays (the Op seems to indicate that a large number of his/her peers are gay).

Should Christians befriend gays, yes, just like any other person. Do they have to approve of gay sex, no. Can they believe that the Bible is correct, and still have gay friends, yes. Can they have an active gay lifestyle and be a Christian? Not if they are in God's will.

There are many gay Christians, but they have usually chosen to not have gay sex relationships. That is what God calls for.

I have known a few gays over the years, and have not rejected any of them. However, when the issue comes up, I don't stray from telling them how I feel about the Bible's words.

If gay marriage is rightfully denied because it is a sin then all hetero marriages should be banned as well. Why? If the only valid marriage is one free of sin then no marriage on earth should be recognized since (according to mainstream Christian theology) we are all sinners.

Next!

This is a poor argument, because the religious opposition to gay marriage isn't that the marriage is not free of sin, but that the very act of the gay marriage itself is sinful.

Next!

This is a poor argument, because the religious opposition to gay marriage isn't that the marriage is not free of sin, but that the very act of the gay marriage itself is sinful.

There is nothing in the Bible that says gay marriage is a sin. There isn't even anything in the New Testament clearly condemning homosexuality but what Christians claim is that homosexuality is a sin therefore gay marriage by extension must be sinful. Hence, they are claiming gay marriage is a sin based not on the union itself but on homosexuality. If that is the barometer then all unions of all sinners must proscribe marriage as an institution since they are all made up of individual sinners.

They are cleary trying to put the "sin" of homosexuality into a special category but fail to apply the same standards to actual sins like greed, lying, stealing, lust, etc.

You've just painted all gays with a broad brush. I could care less whether Churches sanctify gay marriage or not.

I'm interested in civil marriage equality.

And I'm still interested in which GOP congresspeople have supported the ressurection of Anti-sodomy laws in their states:

1. ??????

:eusa_whistle:

You've just painted all gays with a broad brush. I could care less whether Churches sanctify gay marriage or not.

I'm interested in civil marriage equality.

And I'm still interested in which GOP congresspeople have supported the ressurection of Anti-sodomy laws in their states:

1. ??????

:eusa_whistle:

You can research that as easilly as I can. It's in the GOP platform. Likely, it's Ron Paul. He's been vocal about it in Lawrence bs Texas.

Last edited:
Queers shouldn't be wetting their panties:

The United States legalized sodomy in 2003, so anything done on the state lever really doesn't threaten the Supreme Court decision Lawrence v Texas.

Agreed, but the GOP platform calls on Congress enact legislation nullifying the federal government's authority in this area.

It's hardly the same as "Texas is recriminalizing homosexuality," but it is a significant perspective.

It is a significant perspective?

:eusa_eh:

How many GOP congresspeople have agreed with it?

You can research that as easilly as I can. It's in the GOP platform. Likely, it's Ron Paul. He's been vocal about it in Lawrence bs Texas.

:eusa_hand:

Oh, sorry, I thought you already had something upon which to base your opinion that there was something "significant" about this.

My bad.:eusa_eh:

I should have known: you, much like most of the reactionary efforts of Queerdom, are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Agreed, but the GOP platform calls on Congress enact legislation nullifying the federal government's authority in this area.

It's hardly the same as "Texas is recriminalizing homosexuality," but it is a significant perspective.

Oh, sorry, I thought you already had something upon which to base your opinion that there was something "significant" about this.

I should have known: you, much like most of the reactionary efforts of Queerdom, are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Ron Paul

Ron Paul

:lol:

One? Without a quote, or any linky? That's what you call "significant?"

:rolleyes:

yeah.:doubt:

Don't Queers have any REAL problems to worry about? I mean, there might be a shortage of little paper umbrellas to decorate their Mia Tias whilst they dance nude on Fire Island? Ellen may have her show cancelled? There may be a depression in the floral industry? Maybe a Rugmuncher cannot wear a tux to a highschool prom?

Last edited:

Ron Paul

Don't Queers have any REAL problems to worry about? I mean, there might be a shortage of little paper umbrellas to decorate their Mia Tias whilst they dance nude on Fire Island? Ellen may have her show cancelled? There may be a depression in the floral industry? Maybe a Rugmuncher cannot wear a tux to a highschool prom?

Ugly.

Ugly.

Significantly?:eek:

Ugly.

Significantly?:eek:

Yes.

I agree with you.

That being said, the thread was started sounding like it was going to be a discussion of whether or not Christians have gay friends or Christians hate gay people. The thread turned out not to be at all what the title implies. What I expect will happen when gay marriage is legal, and I believe it will be, is that a good portion of the gay community will still resent Christians and view them as an enemy. This issue is a lose-lose, and no matter what the turn-out of the gay marriage issue, the resentment will still be there. It really doesn't matter to me personally, because I have no beef with either side, but this will be an ongoing point of contention imo.

I agree with you.

That being said, the thread was started sounding like it was going to be a discussion of whether or not Christians have gay friends or Christians hate gay people. The thread turned out not to be at all what the title implies. What I expect will happen when gay marriage is legal, and I believe it will be, is that a good portion of the gay community will still resent Christians and view them as an enemy. This issue is a lose-lose, and no matter what the turn-out of the gay marriage issue, the resentment will still be there. It really doesn't matter to me personally, because I have no beef with either side, but this will be an ongoing point of contention imo.

I disagree with you. Christians are not the enemy. Bigotry is.

This might shock you, Samson, but some gay men even like tentacles!

:eusa_hand::eusa_hand::eusa_hand:

Um.....while I'm very flattered, I'm not interested even if you like tenticles.
I think I found your self-portrait...

6a00d83451a23669e2012875a4db7f970c-800wi

Forum List

Back