Christian friends of gays and lesbians

As long as CHristians organize in large numbers to defeat marriage equality, for example, or to reinstitute criminalization for homosexuality, I will make a note of that.

That is fair. It is unfair for you to broadbrush all Christians and/or Republicans for the acts of this specific group of idiots.

I also am aware that the majority of people who have posted on this thread do not fall into that category.

Then why the continued use of your broadbrush smear? I think you enjoy the taunt more than you wish to be productive.

Who do you think stands a better chance at changing the minds of conservatives? A howling liberal smearing or a fellow conservative making a salient point?

You don't read my posts very carefully. I have specifically mentioned the LDS and RCC churches as Christian opponents to marriage equality.

Another broad brush.

I've also acknowledged how many Christian posters in the very thread are supportive of gays and lesbians.

While then broad brushing them.

I'm quite specific about which Christian groups are problematic for gay people. The Family Research Council, Coral Ridge Ministeries, the Christian Coalition, Focus on the Family, American Family Association, Alliance Defense Fund, Traditional Values Coalition, WorldNetDaily etc etc

Don't forget the Texas GOP.

Finally some specifics. Ok, now we've got something here.

How does one thwart the bigot activism by those groups?

Not being supportive of marriage equality does not equate to hating homosexuals or being homophobic.
To me, marriage is a rite of the church. I do not think anyone except the church should be involved in the rite of marriage. That means if a church is "gay friendly" and wants to marry homosexuals, it should have every right to do so.

That is why I am for the idea of "civil unions". I realize it is just semantics, but to me, it leaves marriage in the church and allows the state to treat every citizen equally.

Immie

Simply not true....once you admit that, we can speak honestly on the issue.

You are full of shit. Just because someone does not support gay marriage, does not mean they hate gay people. I believe the state should treat both gay and straight equally. I support your right to get married in any church that will marry you. In the mean time, the state should sanction civil unions for all and stay out of the religious field.

You seem to hate everyone that does not give in to you. I feel so sorry for you. Once you admit that the state has no business being involved in religious rites, we can have an honest discussion. Until then, your hatred of those who will not bow down to your cause will always be in the way.

You talk of Christians hating you? You should look in the damned mirror.

Immie

Don't forget about the Christian gays who oppose same sex marriage. Those I know think the government has no place authorizing what they claim is a religious tenet of faith. "We should all have civil unions" is the general opinion.

But spewing hate with a different political purpose seems to be the preferred tactic.

Simply not true....once you admit that, we can speak honestly on the issue.

You are full of shit. Just because someone does not support gay marriage, does not mean they hate gay people. I believe the state should treat both gay and straight equally. I support your right to get married in any church that will marry you. In the mean time, the state should sanction civil unions for all and stay out of the religious field.

You seem to hate everyone that does not give in to you. I feel so sorry for you. Once you admit that the state has no business being involved in religious rites, we can have an honest discussion. Until then, your hatred of those who will not bow down to your cause will always be in the way.

Immie

Don't forget about the Christian gays who oppose same sex marriage. Those I know think the government has no place authorizing what they claim is a religious tenet of faith. "We should all have civil unions" is the general opinion.

But spewing hate with a different political purpose seems to be the preferred tactic.

If you don't want gays to marry in your church, then you're against equality and you might as well go live in North Korea and get in good with the leader so you can look don't on the little people... and homos.

Immie

If you don't want gays to marry in your church, then you're against equality and you might as well go live in North Korea and get in good with the leader so you can look don't on the little people... and homos.

I disagree with your sentiment but I disagree more with your unfair and inaccurate smear. I have yet to express an opinion even marginally close to the one you just aimed at me.

Idiot.

But it is more evidence that those who claim "we don't want to control churches" are full of shit.

Last edited:
You've just painted all gays with a broad brush. I could care less whether Churches sanctify gay marriage or not.

I'm interested in civil marriage equality.

I disagree with your sentiment but I disagree more with your unfair and inaccurate smear. I have yet to express an opinion even marginally close to the one you just aimed at me.

Idiot.

But it is more evidence that those who claim "we don't want to control churches" are full of shit.

I don't want to control churches, make them pay taxes maybe. Force equality on them? That would be good for them, so they grow a little, like when the slaves were freed and considered equal, that was good for everyone.

Idiot.

I don't want to control churches, make them pay taxes maybe. Force equality on them? That would be good for them, so they grow a little, like when the slaves were freed and considered equal, that was good for everyone.

It's a moot point unless you think our difference in whether they should be forced to change is significant.

I'd rather show that it's the Christian thing to do myself. Different strokes I guess.

Idiot.

It's a moot point unless you think our difference in whether they should be forced to change is significant.

I'd rather show that it's the Christian thing to do myself. Different strokes I guess.

My problem is that the US has laws about equality, but somehow, they never apply them to churches.

Every time you step on a plane you are impacted by the actions of 20 Muslims. The fact that you cannot marry someone is only the result of Church activism if you ignore the fact that it is actually the result of a vote and the high turnout of blacks in that election. Or do you really think one of the most liberal states in the country was influenced by Mormons? Or that every Muslim in California voted no on Prop. 8?

I can understand your bitterness, and even sympathize with it, but you need to look at the world the way it actually is, and not through the lens of bitterness you are using. The fact is that same sex marriage has been voted down every single time it has been placed on the ballot anywhere in this country, even in states where Christians hold little power politically. Blaming only one religious group for this is ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is claiming Christianity is not the driving force behind bigotry towards gays.

yeah, all those christians in iran prove it.

oh, wait. :rofl:

fuckwit

Sorry, forgot I was posting on USMB and that common sense is usually a foreign concept so let me edit that post for the slow fuckwad ***** like you:

What is ridiculous is claiming Christianity is not the driving force behind bigotry towards gays in the US.

(Kind of seemed obvious but again....this is USMB)

Fail:

Not On a REGULAR BASIS

Reading Comprehension and Math aren't your strongest skills, but you make a nice troll.

Anal sex among heteros is on par with the gay community and common sense helps show why when you realize half the gay community cannot even do natural anal sex and the other half does not always engage in that activity.

Your moronic babbling is so much more absurd than usual: Have you been practicing in daycare?

Typical USMB style of avoiding actual discussion. It's basicall all you know how to do.

Immie

If you don't want gays to marry in your church...that is just fine and good...just like if you don't want inter-faith people to marry in your church...

But keep your religious hands off our civil laws.

My problem is that the US has laws about equality, but somehow, they never apply them to churches.

1st amendment...I support the right of churches to be total shits if they want to...just don't force your religious rules on our civil laws.

This thread started out dead.

God does not hate gays. Christians (not meaning all of them, but in general) don't hate gays.

The Bible says that gay sex is sin, just like outside of marriage heterosexual sex is sin.

That statement is not at all bigotted, or hateful. It is what the Bible says, and what Christians believe.

I personally don't believe the story of the OP. I have lived on this earth for a good while now, and it is not as common as the OP says to have that many gay friends if you are a straight. It is not that common to even knoe that many gays (the Op seems to indicate that a large number of his/her peers are gay).

Should Christians befriend gays, yes, just like any other person. Do they have to approve of gay sex, no. Can they believe that the Bible is correct, and still have gay friends, yes. Can they have an active gay lifestyle and be a Christian? Not if they are in God's will.

There are many gay Christians, but they have usually chosen to not have gay sex relationships. That is what God calls for.

I have known a few gays over the years, and have not rejected any of them. However, when the issue comes up, I don't stray from telling them how I feel about the Bible's words.

Forum List

Back