Clinton to call for at least 20 days of early voting nationwide

Which facts are those?

Facilities? Open already.
Equipment? Only used at election time. Incredibly unlikely that there will be other state wide elections happening within 20 days of a federal election and, even if it were, in Texas--as you know--early in person voting not every polling place open on election day is open during early voting.
Personnel? As stated, this will be an extra cost but its not as if they get paid a huge amount of money anyway. And we would only be talking about a few workers, not the entire election staff.

You can pretend that keeping places open double the time won't cost double, but you're delusional.

As long as you keep pretending that is what I said, I'm comfortable with you looking dumber than usual

Tell me, how many polling places are there in the US and what is the average daily cost of running one? Answer that and then you might have an argument that it won't cost that much.
I don't think you understand early voting. Neighborhood polling places don't have to be kept open for early voting.

First off, early voting is already being done in 33 states. Most of those states use mail in ballots the same as they use for absentee voting. 10 more states allow voters to apply in person a short time before the election to apply for an absentee ballot to be mailed. That leaves only 7 states with no early voting.

The problem is not that early voting is not allowed. States don't make voters aware that it's available nor do they make it easy. In many cases, early voting is more inconvenient than going to your normal polling place on election day.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/absentee-and-early-voting.aspx

Like most cons, he's rejected reality and substituted one of his own.

Really, one NJ special election cost the State 24 million dollars, that was for 2 voting days, one for the primary, one for the general. Do the math and that's just one state.

Clinton to call for at least 20 days of early voting nationwide - The Washington Post

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton plans to call for an early voting period of at least 20 days in every state.

Clinton will call for that standard in remarks Thursday in Texas about voting rights, her campaign said. She will also criticize what her campaign calls deliberate restrictions on voting in several states, including Texas.

The former secretary of state's address at historically-black Texas Southern University in Houston comes as Democrats pursue legal challenges to voting rule changes approved by Republican legislatures in several states.

Clinton and her allies claim the changes are aimed at narrowing the electorate in ways that benefit Republicans.

“This is, I think, a moment when we should be expanding the franchise,” Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta said in an interview. “What we see in state after state is this effort by conservatives to restrict the right to vote.”

Once again, Clinton acts, which will force the GOP to react.

This has been going on for quite a while, now.

Discuss. Is this a good idea, or a bad one?

Democratic candidate Clinton is talking about a 20-day early voting period NATIONALLY.

Bottom line ...She's just suck-holing for votes..

When Obama used corrupted departments.of the federal government to persecute the Tea Party she stood by, did nothing, said nothing, basically, only the morons trust her word.

Its the only way that dried up old hag will get elected. As for the Tea Party, a group of normal law abiding people representing a large and vast segment of the population scares the crap out of the progressive elite. They cant stand nor tolerate normal everyday working and retired individuals getting in their way. Reminds me of the silent majority during the 70's.
One final note, with all the technology and investment the country has made it is puzzling why someone would propose extending the voting period over 20 days? I guess it worked for Putin?

You can pretend that keeping places open double the time won't cost double, but you're delusional.

As long as you keep pretending that is what I said, I'm comfortable with you looking dumber than usual

Tell me, how many polling places are there in the US and what is the average daily cost of running one? Answer that and then you might have an argument that it won't cost that much.
I don't think you understand early voting. Neighborhood polling places don't have to be kept open for early voting.

First off, early voting is already being done in 33 states. Most of those states use mail in ballots the same as they use for absentee voting. 10 more states allow voters to apply in person a short time before the election to apply for an absentee ballot to be mailed. That leaves only 7 states with no early voting.

The problem is not that early voting is not allowed. States don't make voters aware that it's available nor do they make it easy. In many cases, early voting is more inconvenient than going to your normal polling place on election day.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/absentee-and-early-voting.aspx

Really, one NJ special election cost the State 24 million dollars, that was for 2 voting days, one for the primary, one for the general. Do the math and that's just one state.

Apples and oranges comparison. What is it you're not understanding.

You open the schools and kids come in. You have the lights on, the water on, the heat/AC are working. Around 9 that morning, you have some volunteers come in and set up voting machines. The machines are not being used any where else so there is no costs involved in their use. The poll workers sit there and wait for people to come into a building that is already open.

Total $ spent is $0.00 unless you're paying the workers; which by and large you are not.

You open the schools and kids come in. You have the lights on, the water on, the heat/AC are working. Around 9 that morning, you have some volunteers come in and set up voting machines. The machines are not being used any where else so there is no costs involved in their use. The poll workers sit there and wait for people to come into a building that is already open.

Total $ spent is $0.00 unless you're paying the workers; which by and large you are not.

Really, NJ paid 26,126 poll workers $200.00 per day, like I said, do the math for just that one state.

Really, NJ paid 26,126 poll workers $200.00 per day, like I said, do the math for just that one state.
Link?

I'll take your word for it although it sounds bizarre when other states do not do it.

So, mismanagement by one state is cause to abandon the idea in other states? Not quite.
Says a lot about Chris Christie's management style...does it not?

Smart move. It forces the GOP to react than act.

React to what? I have no problem with early voting, but 20 days is unnecessary and that starts to get expensive as well. We have ten days of voting in Nevada. If you can't find time in ten days to make it to the polls then I don't want you voting.
If you are prepared to vote twenty days before the election...who cares if you vote early?

It costs more money. Poll workers have to be paid. Facilities have to be rented out. There is no reason why we need 20 days of voting for an election. It's a non-issue that nobody is going to give a shit about anyhow.

Smart move. It forces the GOP to react than act.

React to what? I have no problem with early voting, but 20 days is unnecessary and that starts to get expensive as well. We have ten days of voting in Nevada. If you can't find time in ten days to make it to the polls then I don't want you voting.
If you are prepared to vote twenty days before the election...who cares if you vote early?

It costs more money. Poll workers have to be paid. Facilities have to be rented out. There is no reason why we need 20 days of voting for an election. It's a non-issue that nobody is going to give a shit about anyhow.

Switzerland have 12 polls last year over 4 days and they do that every year...

Taz here is basically saying that he doesn't like this democracy thing because most of the people don't agree with him

She's entitled to her opinion, but it's up to the States to run their elections.

The point is that you are right but it doesn't matter to lady divider. She could have said 200 days, she knows it ain't gonna happen. BUT if anyone should so speak out against it they are instantly a racist because as we all know the minorities have a hard time getting to the polls on time. At least that is the story line the liberal left will bleat.

they sure dont have a hard time cashing their welfare checks though.

Remember: You heard it here first. Come Election Day, Hitlery will have dropped out of the running a good wile back. Countdown starts today, June 4, 2015. Libs, break out the crying towels.

libs ignore all her scandels.

Next Mrs. Clinton will call for poll workers to help those too stupid to fill out their ballots. Hell the left is already saying that minorities are too stupid, lazy or ignorant to get to the polls or have a photo id. My how little they think of their base.

You have found people that work for free?

Link?

I'll take your word for it although it sounds bizarre when other states do not do it.

So, mismanagement by one state is cause to abandon the idea in other states? Not quite.

Oops, my mistake, it's 26,168 poll workers instead of 26,126.

New Jersey s Special Elections Will Cost a Whopping 24 Million - Yahoo News

No, the jobs are technically 'volunteer'--you volunteer to be available for the day--but the poll workers do get paid. I think it was a flat $100 when I last worked the polls but I think they are paying better - maybe $175 now--a little more for the judge who oversees all operations at a voting site? We didn't get paid for our training time. But with a minimum of 69 voting centers--we used to have 180--in the Albuquerque metro area, with a minimum of six people working at each one, you can see how that would add up. And that doesn't even include all the other people involved in the election who set up and take down the booths and equipment, etc., those who count the votes or whatever, or the compensation to the school or church or wherever the polling place is for their additional janitorial and utility costs, etc.

So extended voting time does come with a cost even if the number of voting locations are more limited.

Link?

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges and you know it.

But fine...

Okay, 20 days of write in voting prior to ...problem solved.

No, the jobs are technically 'volunteer'--you volunteer to be available for the day--but the poll workers do get paid. I think it was a flat $100 when I last worked the polls but I think they are paying better - maybe $175 now--a little more for the judge who oversees all operations at a voting site? We didn't get paid for our training time. But with a minimum of 69 voting centers--we used to have 180--in the Albuquerque metro area, with a minimum of six people working at each one, you can see how that would add up. And that doesn't even include all the other people involved in the election who set up and take down the booths and equipment, etc., those who count the votes or whatever, or the compensation to the school or church or wherever the polling place is for their additional janitorial and utility costs, etc.

So extended voting time does come with a cost even if the number of voting locations are more limited.

So in the interest of getting the votes correct, making sure there is no fraud, making sure the right person votes at the right place etc and that all who are registered are able to vote, there is a limit to how much the conserveatives suddenly want to spend.

Amazingly, when they were ramming through the ID laws (laws I support on the principle that our elections need to be as sterile as possible by the way), they could spare no expense in terms of issuing picture IDs free of charge, the propaganda err...I mean advertising the new edicts...and retraining the poll workers.

Suddenly, when you want to expand the window so that every citizen can exercise their constitutional right...we need to consider the cost.

Typical conservative hypocrisy.

Link?

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges and you know it.

But fine...

Okay, 20 days of write in voting prior to ...problem solved.

Like I said, 10 days works well in my state, there is no need to reinvent the wheel just because some commie bitch says it's a good idea.

I'd make it 30 days for active members of the military. For others, I would want at least 10 days, but wouldn't desire any federal law ordering such.

Which facts are those?

Facilities? Open already.
Equipment? Only used at election time. Incredibly unlikely that there will be other state wide elections happening within 20 days of a federal election and, even if it were, in Texas--as you know--early in person voting not every polling place open on election day is open during early voting.
Personnel? As stated, this will be an extra cost but its not as if they get paid a huge amount of money anyway. And we would only be talking about a few workers, not the entire election staff.

I don't think you read the thread title, you want 20 days of early voting?
Colorado, Washington, and Oregon vote by mail. Ballots are sent out about 3 weeks before election day. Essential all votes are sent in before election day. Most votes are received at least 10 days before the election. Almost everyone votes early.

I don't think you read the thread title, you want 20 days of early voting?
Colorado, Washington, and Oregon vote by mail. Ballots are sent out about 3 weeks before election day. Essential all votes are sent in before election day. Most votes are received at least 10 days before the election. Almost everyone votes early.

How do they know they're not sending ballots to dead or incapacitated people and being filled in by someone else?

Forum List

Back