CPS investigates "unsocialized" homeschoolers

that's false.

Where is your proof?

Post a referenced study that says so

I would think a lawyer would no that opinions don't mean shit
Research Facts on Homeschooling | Research

Academic Performance

• The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.)

• Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.

• Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.

• Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.

• Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.

• Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges
none of that proves that homeschooled kids do better because they are homeschooled. surely you realize this

Then what does it prove? It proves that home schooled kids outperform public school kids on the same standardized tests and that result has nothing to do with the financial or educational status of the parents doing the home schooling
it proves nothing
you think those are the only variables?

Ah yes every study that proves you wrong is flawed because there are too many variables to be considered

Nice dodge

Tell me what makes your opinion on the subject so authoritative?

The test results are the test results

You can't deny that. There are statistical methods that can compare a large population to a small one you know
If you think the studies are flawed it's up to you to prove your point

So prove it
you haven't shown any studies

Hey idiot read the links I posted the studies are all referenced in the end notes the articles are a summary of the studies
nope. I'm not digging through propaganda. you can link the studies if you want to discuss them

Then we have nothing to discuss but your opinion and I already told you what I think of that
can't produce the 'studies,' can you
· Homeschooling associated with beneficial learner and societal outcomes but educators do not promote it, Brian D. Ray, 2013, Peabody Journal of Education, 88(3), 324-341.
· Academic achievement and demographic traits of homeschool students: A nationwide study, Brian D. Ray, 2010, Academic Leadership Journal,www.academicleadership.org.
· A Sense of Self: Listening to Homeschooled Adolescent Girls. Susannah Sheffer, 1995.
· Home Educated and Now Adults: Their Community and Civic Involvement, Views About Homeschooling, and Other Traits, Brian D. Ray, 2004.
· Homeschoolers on to College: What Research Shows Us, by Brian D. Ray, Journal of College Admission, 2004, No. 185, 5-11.
· Homeschooling and the question of socialization revisited, Richard G. Medlin, 2013, Peabody Journal of Education, 88(3), 284-297.
· National Education Association. (2014). Rankings of the States 2013 and Estimates of School Statistics 2014. Retrieved April 10, 2014 from http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/NEA-Rankings-and-Estimates-2013-2014.pdf.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]studies on homeschooling vs public schooling - Google Scholar[/FONT]

Where is your proof?

Post a referenced study that says so

I would think a lawyer would no that opinions don't mean shit

Academic Performance

• The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.)

• Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.

• Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.

• Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.

• Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.

none of that proves that homeschooled kids do better because they are homeschooled. surely you realize this

Then what does it prove? It proves that home schooled kids outperform public school kids on the same standardized tests and that result has nothing to do with the financial or educational status of the parents doing the home schooling
it proves nothing

Ah yes every study that proves you wrong is flawed because there are too many variables to be considered

Nice dodge

show me a study and we'll discuss it

Academic Performance

it proves nothing

Nice dodge

I gave you a list pick one

it proves nothing

Nice dodge

and links to none...

it proves nothing

Nice dodge

and links to none...
What's the matter you can't google?

Obviously a product of public schooling

The Rudner Study was at the time the largest study on home school, private and public school results, it revealed home schooled children out perform both private and public school students on test scores

The Rudner Study was at the time the largest study on home school, private and public school results, it revealed home schooled children out perform both private and public school students on test scores
It won't matter

Ogie Bile won't read anything that contradicts his worthless opinion

You could post an article with 5000 listed sources and he would still say he's right and everyone else is wrong

it was essentially an advocacy group drawing volunteers not from a cross-section of homeschoolers...but on their voluntary participation.

yeah, very reliable. :rolleyes:

It won't matter

You could post an article with 5000 listed sources and he would still say he's right and everyone else is wrong

the study wasn't done scientifically based on a cross section of the home schooled.

I think we all know what it says.

which still doesn't negate the fact that the majority of the home-schooled are home-schooled because their parents are terrified that they'll be exposed to diverse ideas and people...and OH NO....might not hate gay people

It won't matter

I know but the study is recognized nationally and the results confirm home schooled students hold their own against both public and private schools. Ours attend private schools because we want the social aspect of it but if it were not for that I'd home school

it was essentially an advocacy group drawing volunteers not from a cross-section of homeschoolers...but on their voluntary participation.

There are plenty more. This one actually addressed the weakness of the Rudner study and still came up with the same result

Homeschooling outcomes: How do they compare?

Achievement testing, and the results
How did these groups compare?
To find out, researchers administered a 45-minute achievement test in the children’s homes. The questions—which were borrowed from the popular Woodcock-Johnson Test of Achievement—covered seven distinct academic areas, including reading comprehension, science, and mathematics.
Overall, the structured homeschooling group performed much better than the public school group. And the margin was pretty dramatic.
In 5 of 7 test areas, (word identification, phonic decoding, science, social science, humanities) structured homeschoolers were at least one grade level ahead of public schoolers.
They were almost half a year ahead in math, and slightly, but not significantly, advanced in reading comprehension.
But this is a relatively small study. Was the homeschool advantage due to random factors?
It's unlikely.
Researchers calculated the probabilities of getting these results due to random chance alone. For science and calculation, these probabilities were 1.9% and 2.6%. For word identification, decoding, and social science, the probabilities were all below 0.07%.
Was the homeschool advantage merely the result of socioeconomic privilege? That seems rather unlikely too. Homeschoolers retained their edge even after researchers made statistical adjustments for differences in family income and mother’s education level.
And if the recruitment process selected for homeschoolers with high skill levels, we can say the same about public school students. Both groups--structured homeschoolers and public schoolers--consisted of volunteers. Both tested well above grade level.
So the implications seem clear: Canadian kids receiving structured home schooling are testing very well, and it's not merely a reflection of their parents' affluence or educational levels.

But like I said it won't matter

There are plenty more. This one actually addressed the weakness of the Rudner study and still came up with the same result

To find out, researchers administered a 45-minute achievement test in the children’s homes. The questions—which were borrowed from the popular Woodcock-Johnson Test of Achievement—covered seven distinct academic areas, including reading comprehension, science, and mathematics.
Overall, the structured homeschooling group performed much better than the public school group. And the margin was pretty dramatic.
In 5 of 7 test areas, (word identification, phonic decoding, science, social science, humanities) structured homeschoolers were at least one grade level ahead of public schoolers.
They were almost half a year ahead in math, and slightly, but not significantly, advanced in reading comprehension.
But this is a relatively small study. Was the homeschool advantage due to random factors?
It's unlikely.
Researchers calculated the probabilities of getting these results due to random chance alone. For science and calculation, these probabilities were 1.9% and 2.6%. For word identification, decoding, and social science, the probabilities were all below 0.07%.
Was the homeschool advantage merely the result of socioeconomic privilege? That seems rather unlikely too. Homeschoolers retained their edge even after researchers made statistical adjustments for differences in family income and mother’s education level.
And if the recruitment process selected for homeschoolers with high skill levels, we can say the same about public school students. Both groups--structured homeschoolers and public schoolers--consisted of volunteers. Both tested well above grade level.
So the implications seem clear: Canadian kids receiving structured home schooling are testing very well, and it's not merely a reflection of their parents' affluence or educational levels.
But the story may be very different for kids who receive unstructured homeschooling.
In every test area, unstructured homeschoolers got lower scores than the structured homeschoolers did.
In 5 of 7 areas, the differences were substantial, ranging from 1.32 grade levels for the math test to 4.2 grade levels for the word identification test.
Where the structured homeschoolers performed above grade level, the unstructured homeschoolers performed below it.
The chance that unstructured homeschoolers performed worse due to random factors? Less than 0.07%.
And again, the pattern held even after controlling for family income and maternal education.
Unstructured homeschoolers also performed worse than the public school kids did, though not by enough margin to rule out chance.
The researchers conclude that "structured homeschooling may offer opportunities for academic performance beyond those typically experienced in public school."
- See more at: Homeschooling outcomes: How do they compare?

Fig1.jpg

It won't matter

I know but the study is recognized nationally and the results confirm home schooled students hold their own against both public and private schools. Ours attend private schools because we want the social aspect of it but if it were not for that I'd home school
recognized by whom?

It's unlikely.

that study shows some homeschooled kids doing better and some doing worse than their public school counterparts.

It's unlikely.

that study shows some homeschooled kids doing better and some doing worse than their public school counterparts.

And on average they do better

I never said ALL home schooled kids do better did I?

It's unlikely.

And on average they do better

I never said ALL home schooled kids do better did I?
no, in the small sample it notes that homeschooled kids with structured lessons seemed to do better.

the others did worse.

Forum List

Back