Dads can be prohibited from the delivery room

Katzndogz

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2011
At last, a Judge makes a common sense decision. It should be headlines.

New Jersey Judge: Women Can Block Dads From Delivery Room « CBS Philly

“It’s well established under federal and state law that there is a privacy right when a woman’s in labor.”

Rutgers professor and family law expert Sally Goldfarb says a Passaic County judge made the right call last November in his decision, which was published this week, when he sided with pregnant woman that her ex-fiancee had no legal right to be in the delivery room.

“What this man was seeking to do was really interfere with the woman’s ability to exercise her own choices about giving birth in privacy and that to me falls outside of the rights that a father is legitimately entitled to.”

Common sense? Did the dad not help making that baby? If it weren't for his genes, they would even be having a child in the first place. This is absolutely ludicrous. This should highlight a flaw in the abortion argument as well. If the father wants to see, have and/or raise the child, the decision shouldn't be solely left up to the woman.

Last edited:
A woman in labor, in the delivery room has an absolute right to privacy. Which is better than having women screaming "get him the fuck out of here".

I think demanding to be in the delivery room is insane if the relationship has changed to the extent that any woman decides that his presence is unwelcome there during the event.

I am going to need to see exactly what "does not need to know the time" means precisely in the decision before I comment on that.

Last edited:
When my son was born, Dads weren't supposed to be in the delivery room but in some cases were allowed in. Some nurse ushered my husband in when I was giving birth. I just started screaming "Get him out of here", and he was whisked away with apologies. I cannot imagine a circumstance where the suffering mother wasn't allowed to make that decision. It's an ideal time for a poisoned relationship to really do damage.

In the decision, believed to be the first of its kind, the father was also told he didn’t have a right to know when the baby was born.

He's is forward thinking. Good!

As far as this bad relationship is concerned, if the father is being an ass, don't let him anywhere near her. He's forfeited his right to raise the child. In other circumstances, such a ruling could bar well intentioned fathers, who are in stable marriages from witnessing the birth of their own child. I don't know, but in that scenario, that's not right. People don't understand that individual rulings like these can be used as precedent for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. It's still her call. So, it wouldn't present a problem for those involved in a happy little marriage scenario. In fact, this line

if the father is being an ass, don't let him anywhere near her. He's forfeited his right to raise the child
is far more arbitrary.

“It’s well established under federal and state law that there is a privacy right when a woman’s in labor.”

Rutgers professor and family law expert Sally Goldfarb says a Passaic County judge made the right call last November in his decision, which was published this week, when he sided with pregnant woman that her ex-fiancee had no legal right to be in the delivery room.

“What this man was seeking to do was really interfere with the woman’s ability to exercise her own choices about giving birth in privacy and that to me falls outside of the rights that a father is legitimately entitled to.”

No one other than the mother and medical staff have a 'right' to be in delivery. And certainly a person who would be upsetting to the mother should not be allowed. Childbirth is no less a medical procedure than your appendectomy and no one has a right to see that either. They even get patient permission for students to observe.

As far as this bad relationship is concerned, if the father is being an ass, don't let him anywhere near her. He's forfeited his right to raise the child. In other circumstances, such a ruling could bar well intentioned fathers, who are in stable marriages from witnessing the birth of their own child. I don't know, but in that scenario, that's not right. People don't understand that individual rulings like these can be used as precedent for all the wrong reasons.

The medical staff can bar anyone anytime for any reason. It's their call.

Last edited:
THIS ruling only deals with the right of the mother to bar the father from the delivery room. In complicated non routine births the father is excluded but for other reasons, like too many people and the medical team has to work around a non essential body.

Bullshit. I make a kid I will be in the room when it is born. I have been with all of my kids and will with any future ones as well.
When my son was born, Dads weren't supposed to be in the delivery room but in some cases were allowed in. Some nurse ushered my husband in when I was giving birth. I just started screaming "Get him out of here", and he was whisked away with apologies. I cannot imagine a circumstance where the suffering mother wasn't allowed to make that decision. It's an ideal time for a poisoned relationship to really do damage.

What a bitch. Husband should have divorced you right there on the spot for that stunt.

The medical staff can bar anyone anytime for any reason. It' their call.

And I would take my wife to a different hospital. Its my call.

Just more feminist garbage,they already took away the dad's right to have his child saved from murder aka abortion so this is no surprise.Time to turn to home births if someone tries this shit with me.

Just more feminist garbage,they already took away the dad's right to have his child saved from murder aka abortion so this is no surprise.Time to turn to home births if someone tries this shit with me.

How would a home birth help?

If you have broken up with the woman and she has a home birth, you are going to force your way into the house so you can watch her and her nakedness as she delivers the baby? That's a good way to get yourself arrested. :thup:

Sorry, but if the woman doesn't want you in the room with her, you don't have any right to be there.

Period.

It's the same in EVERY hospital. I have a feeling that you are such a hot head you would be kicked out of them all.

How would a home birth help?

If you have broken up with the woman and she has a home birth, you are going to force your way into the house so you can watch her and her nakedness as she delivers the baby? That's a good way to get yourself arrested. :thup:

Sorry, but if the woman doesn't want you in the room with her, you don't have any right to be there.

Period.
That's private property so nope. Obviously then we would not be together. If its a hospital its MY child and MY wife I will do as I damn well please. PERIOD.

It's the same in EVERY hospital. I have a feeling that you are such a hot head you would be kicked out of them all.

Try to keep me out of the birth room. I saw every single one of my kids born and I will continue to do so. Try and stop me.PLEASE!

If the child is the product of rape then the father should be in jail or in the ground. Otherwise, did the woman get pregnant via sperm donor? Is that not the father's child as well?

I'm guessing this would not be the judge a man would want in some custody dispute case...

Try to keep me out of the birth room. I saw every single one of my kids born and I will continue to do so. Try and stop me.PLEASE!

Who the hell are you talking to, Eva? I'm sure the smallest nurse in the hospital could keep your wussy ass out of any room she chose, but that's another matter.

Forum List

Back