Deal Emerging: Where Does the GOP Go From Here?

The Republicans orchestrated the Citizens United bullshit and looked at it as a means to destroy the Democratic Party. Imagine having unlimited corporate donations from anonymous sources to steamroll your political opponents?

Instead, these political donations are lining up to set one side of the Republican Party against the other. TeaTards have money and they use it against Republicans not Democrats

Oh yeah. Citizens United is an abomination. It is one the worst pieces of legislation that has ever been introduced in this country.

You saw it in the 2012 election when candidates in the GOP Clown Car had unlimited funds to run futile campaigns. The eventual GOP candidate burnt himself out before he even got to the convention

Now anonymous contributors are lining up on both sides of a GOP Civil War. The TeaTards lack the numbers but have the political clout to bully moderate Republicans into submission

I won't call them names, but really would it be terrible if the TPM primaried out a bunch of establishment house members and then had to run in general elections?

Nobody else is acting like terrorists, wife beaters, Confederates, arsonists or psychopaths

Republicans need to man up and acknowledge that their antics are damaging the country. This is not a case of both sides being equally guilty. The Republicans orchestrated this crisis and deserve any names they are being called

"It's Obama's fault because he won't pretend that he lost those ObamaCare votes (and SCOTUS ruling)."

Please - are they really counting on people being THAT stupid?

The Tea Party is succeeding in one thing and one thing only: Making Themselves and Republicans (by association) look stupid.

You wanna fight overspending? I'm with you 100%.

You wanna destroy my country by picking incredibly stupid fights? Count me out.

deep gop made mess of this shutdown and debt fight. But that does not mean they won,t do well in midterms next year. A year a long time in politics. Obama knows this as in 2011 he looked finished and year later he won reelection.

Who says he "looked finished"? When did he ever trail in the poll averages?

Where does the GOP go from here?

The GOP has taken a blood bath in this debacle. The GOP brand has taken some serious damage for no practical gain. They have been weakened politically and embarassed on an international stage

What do they do?

The GOP needs to address their TeaTard problem head on. They need to treat them like the cancer that they are and stop accomodating them. They need to make it clear that "We tried it your way and had our asses handed to us."
They need to abandon the Hastert Rule which forbids bipartisanship. It may have made sense in a kinder, gentler time....but to allow a small minority of your party to abandon common sense in an attempt to bring down the hated Government is political lunacy
The TeaTards need to be placed in a box and ignored by both parties. That will allow the adults in the room to go about their business of running the country

But what is tragic is that they won't. The Tea Party is here to stay. Why? Because the Tea Party operates on emotion. They are an emotionally charged movement. People would prefer to think on emotion rather than on facts and critical thinking. See when a person learns enough facts on an issue, it challenges their perspective. Teabaggers would rather avoid that cognitive dissonance.

if abiding by the Constitution, eliminating deficit spending, etc., is governance by emotion, than what do you consider rational governance...

Well the Tea Party has this belief that government spending is inherently evil, but its not. It is a necessary practice. What is bad is too much. Unfortunately, rather than looking at policy on a case by case basis and making cuts that are responsible and appropriate, the Tea Party proposes lazy, enormous cuts that do more harm than good. If you want to curb government spending, you have to do it with caution and analysis. The Tea Party does not think this way.

Doing the same thing when the next debt ceiling comes due early next year.

yeah, I fully expect the TPM to try and hold the nation hostage over Obamacare. But, the rest of Wash may figure that out too, and that would be a reason to actually reach a bipartisan deal to reduce entitlement outlays and raise some revenue for deficit reduction ... you know .. actually REACH A COMPROMISE.

If the TPM stood in the way of that, imo there'd be some actual real fallout on them.

Nobody else is acting like terrorists, wife beaters, Confederates, arsonists or psychopaths

Republicans need to man up and acknowledge that their antics are damaging the country. This is not a case of both sides being equally guilty. The Republicans orchestrated this crisis and deserve any names they are being called

Man up? Stop calling names first. How does that promote progress?

Liberal name-calling | Government shutdown | Democrat Lawmakers

please try to keep up.

Say aloud five times, "Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

Feel better now?:cool:

Nope, because you would never let a Republican get away with it. Feel more hypocritical now?

Oh yeah. Citizens United is an abomination. It is one the worst pieces of legislation that has ever been introduced in this country.

You saw it in the 2012 election when candidates in the GOP Clown Car had unlimited funds to run futile campaigns. The eventual GOP candidate burnt himself out before he even got to the convention

Now anonymous contributors are lining up on both sides of a GOP Civil War. The TeaTards lack the numbers but have the political clout to bully moderate Republicans into submission

I won't call them names, but really would it be terrible if the TPM primaried out a bunch of establishment house members and then had to run in general elections?

Wouldn't be bad for Democrats.
It's how the GOP lost the Senate.

But I'm not a fan of "establishment" candidates. I favor moderate candidates who want to reduce spending. I believe their is a big difference.

Doing the same thing when the next debt ceiling comes due early next year.

yeah, I fully expect the TPM to try and hold the nation hostage over Obamacare. But, the rest of Wash may figure that out too, and that would be a reason to actually reach a bipartisan deal to reduce entitlement outlays and raise some revenue for deficit reduction ... you know .. actually REACH A COMPROMISE.

If the TPM stood in the way of that, imo there'd be some actual real fallout on them.

Maybe - but I'm thinking the TP candidates have a floor. They can't get below a certain point no matter what they do because of their radicalized following. Same holds true on the far left. A D.C. mayor got re-elected after doing time on a cocaine conviction. The radicals are so indoctrinated, they don't care what their candidates do, they don't care about facts, they don't care about smart.

They just want their candidate - no matter what.

But I'm not a fan of "establishment" candidates. I favor moderate candidates who want to reduce spending. I believe their is a big difference.

I won't disagree. But what I meant is sort of what happened with Lugar's senate seat. The gop ran a nut and Donnelly won. He's left leaning, but wants lower deficits. There are worse things.

Our Republic wasn't meant to operate efficiently or by a majority. That is why we have a House of Representatives & Electoral College. The Founding Fathers feared mob rule mentality just for this very reason.

There are provisions to delay knee-jerk mob reactions. The high standards for amending the Constitution, The veto and the veto override, etc ...

To justify holding the routine functions of government hostage by a motivated minority based on these justifications is idiocy. Suggesting that the founding fathers envisioned this and wrote it into our laws is insanity.

About like saying Reagan was a deficit hawk.

"It's Obama's fault because he won't pretend that he lost those ObamaCare votes (and SCOTUS ruling)."

The Tea Party is succeeding in one thing and one thing only: Making Themselves and Republicans (by association) look stupid.

And really, would it be such a terrible thing, even if we had to keep the individual mandate, which there would be ways around, but even if we had to keep WOULD IT BE THE END OF THE FREAKIGN FREE WORLD

to have a healthcare scheme where taxing insurors and doctors raised money that we used to pay for other people to have insurance for their kids.

I mean are they seriously thinking we're going Cuba here? Well they are, and THIS IS THE CRAZY coming out.

Deep down america will remain a great country whoever in charge of it. It people are strong and i think it always will carry on whoever leading it. whether thats gop or dems
Thanks for your concern Chav chops!!

wow, so let this law stand or fail on it's own...

and in the mean time we the people just sit here and lose our freedoms of choice, be fined by this government (16.000 new IRS agents being hired to do it), and lose BILLIONS of money ON A LAW that has A CHANCE of failing

now that is brilliant isn't it?

so this it's like, you have to pass to SEE WHAT'S IN IT

these people are running your lives folks?

Last edited:
that's all well and good, but don't sell a bunch of voters on the notion that 50 house members can derail a law.

U.S. Constitution Article I Section 7.

All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives
; but the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other Bills.

I won't disagree. But what I meant is sort of what happened with Lugar's senate seat. The gop ran a nut and Donnelly won. He's left leaning, but wants lower deficits. There are worse things.

I agree - there are far worse things. But I imagine the TP would have preffered Lugar's positions over Donnelly's position. They just shot themselves in the foot.

And really, would it be such a terrible thing, even if we had to keep the individual mandate, which there would be ways around, but even if we had to keep WOULD IT BE THE END OF THE FREAKIGN FREE WORLD

to have a healthcare scheme where taxing insurors and doctors raised money that we used to pay for other people to have insurance for their kids.

I mean are they seriously thinking we're going Cuba here? Well they are, and THIS IS THE CRAZY coming out.

Deep down america will remain a great country whoever in charge of it. It people are strong and i think it always will carry on whoever leading it. whether thats gop or dems

I agree 100%

But I do think we have to getting spending under control.

That's not even my biggest concern right now.

If you don't like the law - get the votes to repeal it. If you can't get enough votes to repeal it, then use your clout to improve it. And if you don't even have the clout to improve it, then make your case to the people and GET the clout/votes you need.

But these scorched earth tactics are LOSING them support. So it's stupid.

And I just HATE stupid. Especially when stupid is hell bent on dragging everyone else down to their level.

That's not even my biggest concern right now.

If you don't like the law - get the votes to repeal it. If you can't get enough votes to repeal it, then use your clout to improve it. And if you don't even have the clout to improve it, then make your case to the people and GET the clout/votes you need.

But these scorched earth tactics are LOSING them support. So it's stupid.

And I just HATE stupid. Especially when stupid is hell bent on dragging everyone else down to their level.

This is why unlimited democracy doesn't work. Even when the Court fails us, and allows majoritarian excess, the minority can and will fight back.

Sure, rewrite mandatory spending. It's what you do. don't have the votes; no problemo, just change the rules.

HUH?

"mandatory spending" .......WTF............?!?!?!?

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Forcing the people to buy insurance , let me search and find that power.............

:cuckoo:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back