Deal Emerging: Where Does the GOP Go From Here?

I'm not afraid. I'm discouraged. I do not believe the Tea Party holds the view of the majority of the American people. If they did, Obama would not of been re-elected on a platform of not allowing the ACA to be defunded.

Going against the American people to satisfy a minority of the population is not the way to get your message out and shutting down the Govt. and threatening a default on our debt is not the way to Govern.

They don't know how to compromise and do not deserve a place in Congress.

Who says everyone has to hold the views of the majority? Does freedom of expression mean anything? Are they not Americans? Stop treating them as some sort of alien species. You Liberals are all about conformity. Not everyone chooses to conform to liberal ideals. The people in congress now are elected officials, saying that "do not deserve a place in congress" is akin to saying the people who elected them had no right to put them in office. Your words are careless.

And answer me this: Is it proper governance to continue raising the debt ceiling and further continue reckless spending? Which is more dangerous? Just how many straws will it take to break the camel's back? It discourages me that people are willing to ignore the ramifications of their actions.

The one thing they are trying to do is defund Obamacare. That's it. They can't do it legislatively because they don't have the votes so they are going to hold up a vote of funding the Government and paying our debt until they get something they are never going to get. Defunding a law that was passed 3 years ago.

They need to go after more voters and elect more people who hold their ideals but they can't do that. They can only win in Gerrymandered districts where people who are easily swayed elect them into power. They only have power in the House because of the Gerrymandering and an ineffective majority leader who won't even go against them to bring a clean bill up for a vote to fund the Government.

They don't deserve a place at the table because they won't compromise. Governing is all about compromise.

Most people don't want what they are selling right now.

Some law. It was changed, amended, altered and delayed. Frankly it shouldn't even be a law now, it should be working it's way back through both houses of Congress. Obama overstepped his authority when he did what he did to it. If Obamacare was so great, why isn't the website working? Why aren't millions of people signed up for it already? The anvil rests purely on your shoulders.

Its funny, you're a Democrat/Liberal yet you seem to think you know what's going to help the GOP. I see this as nothing more than as a condescending attitude borne out of inherent arrogance. They have power in the house now due to the people wanting an insurmountable obstacle to governmental excesses. It's easy to see.

Funny, they deserve to be there because my vote among millions of others put them there. It's ironic, you want it just the same way the British had it before the people rebelled. "If you don't agree with us, you are not a part of us." How vile.

Last edited:
General rule of thumb.

If it makes you guys cry like this and commit political suicide, then it is the right thing.

Move out of the way of progress or get ran over. :lol:

Yeah, we aren't comparing people to terrorists, wife beaters, Confederates, arsonists or psychopaths. That rhetoric is coming from the likes of you. You are reading right out of Saul Alinsky's playbook. Demonize the opposition. Instead of focusing on the substance of the issue, demonize and vilify the opposition. Textbook Saul Alinsky tactics.

Nobody else is acting like terrorists, wife beaters, Confederates, arsonists or psychopaths

Republicans need to man up and acknowledge that their antics are damaging the country. This is not a case of both sides being equally guilty. The Republicans orchestrated this crisis and deserve any names they are being called

right, you have it all figured out:lol:

Where does the GOP go from here?

The GOP has taken a blood bath in this debacle. The GOP brand has taken some serious damage for no practical gain. They have been weakened politically and embarassed on an international stage

What do they do?

The GOP needs to address their TeaTard problem head on. They need to treat them like the cancer that they are and stop accomodating them. They need to make it clear that "We tried it your way and had our asses handed to us."
They need to abandon the Hastert Rule which forbids bipartisanship. It may have made sense in a kinder, gentler time....but to allow a small minority of your party to abandon common sense in an attempt to bring down the hated Government is political lunacy
The TeaTards need to be placed in a box and ignored by both parties. That will allow the adults in the room to go about their business of running the country

But what is tragic is that they won't. The Tea Party is here to stay. Why? Because the Tea Party operates on emotion. They are an emotionally charged movement. People would prefer to think on emotion rather than on facts and critical thinking. See when a person learns enough facts on an issue, it challenges their perspective. Teabaggers would rather avoid that cognitive dissonance.

The Republicans orchestrated the Citizens United bullshit and looked at it as a means to destroy the Democratic Party. Imagine having unlimited corporate donations from anonymous sources to steamroll your political opponents?

Instead, these political donations are lining up to set one side of the Republican Party against the other. TeaTards have money and they use it against Republicans not Democrats

Yeah, we aren't comparing people to terrorists, wife beaters, Confederates, arsonists or psychopaths. That rhetoric is coming from the likes of you. You are reading right out of Saul Alinsky's playbook. Demonize the opposition. Instead of focusing on the substance of the issue, demonize and vilify the opposition. Textbook Saul Alinsky tactics.

Nobody else is acting like terrorists, wife beaters, Confederates, arsonists or psychopaths

Republicans need to man up and acknowledge that their antics are damaging the country. This is not a case of both sides being equally guilty. The Republicans orchestrated this crisis and deserve any names they are being called

Stephanie.....the adults are talking
Go back and play with your toys

General rule of thumb.

If it makes you guys cry like this and commit political suicide, then it is the right thing.

Man up? Stop calling names first. How does that promote progress?

Liberal name-calling | Government shutdown | Democrat Lawmakers

please try to keep up.

Stephanie.....the adults are talking
Go back and play with your toys

hell no, I'm not going to let you spout your partisan insane dishonest bs...funny you never have a criticism of the Democrats...why don't you go out and play?

please try to keep up.

Say aloud five times, "Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

Feel better now?:cool:

The GOP has taken a blood bath in this debacle. The GOP brand has taken some serious damage for no practical gain. They have been weakened politically and embarassed on an international stage

What do they do?

The GOP needs to address their TeaTard problem head on. They need to treat them like the cancer that they are and stop accomodating them. They need to make it clear that "We tried it your way and had our asses handed to us."
They need to abandon the Hastert Rule which forbids bipartisanship. It may have made sense in a kinder, gentler time....but to allow a small minority of your party to abandon common sense in an attempt to bring down the hated Government is political lunacy
The TeaTards need to be placed in a box and ignored by both parties. That will allow the adults in the room to go about their business of running the country

But what is tragic is that they won't. The Tea Party is here to stay. Why? Because the Tea Party operates on emotion. They are an emotionally charged movement. People would prefer to think on emotion rather than on facts and critical thinking. See when a person learns enough facts on an issue, it challenges their perspective. Teabaggers would rather avoid that cognitive dissonance.

The Republicans orchestrated the Citizens United bullshit and looked at it as a means to destroy the Democratic Party. Imagine having unlimited corporate donations from anonymous sources to steamroll your political opponents?

Instead, these political donations are lining up to set one side of the Republican Party against the other. TeaTards have money and they use it against Republicans not Democrats

Oh yeah. Citizens United is an abomination. It is one the worst pieces of legislation that has ever been introduced in this country.

General rule of thumb.

"It's Obama's fault because he won't pretend that he lost those ObamaCare votes (and SCOTUS ruling)."

Please - are they really counting on people being THAT stupid?

The Tea Party is succeeding in one thing and one thing only: Making Themselves and Republicans (by association) look stupid.

You wanna fight overspending? I'm with you 100%.

You wanna destroy my country by picking incredibly stupid fights? Count me out.

Last edited:
I'm not afraid. I'm discouraged. I do not believe the Tea Party holds the view of the majority of the American people. If they did, Obama would not of been re-elected on a platform of not allowing the ACA to be defunded.

Going against the American people to satisfy a minority of the population is not the way to get your message out and shutting down the Govt. and threatening a default on our debt is not the way to Govern.

They don't know how to compromise and do not deserve a place in Congress.

Who says everyone has to hold the views of the majority? Does freedom of expression mean anything? Are they not Americans? Stop treating them as some sort of alien species. You Liberals are all about conformity. Not everyone chooses to conform to liberal ideals. The people in congress now are elected officials, saying that "do not deserve a place in congress" is akin to saying the people who elected them had no right to put them in office. Your words are careless.

And answer me this: Is it proper governance to continue raising the debt ceiling and further continue reckless spending? Which is more dangerous? Just how many straws will it take to break the camel's back?

that's all well and good, but don't sell a bunch of voters on the notion that 50 house members can derail a law.

no different than 9 unelected Supreme Court justices or 1 activist judge in a lesser court. At least in this case, those representatives were duly elected by their constituents.

please try to keep up.

They call us names?

That is the best Republicans have to offer after they bring the country to a standstill in their obsession to kill Obamacare?

Grow the fuck up

omg, the dramatic, they are destroying the country

but they have no problems with destroying OUR FREEDOMS with ObamaNoCare

this whole thread is a joke

go worry about your own party, 7.5 % unemployment for FIVE years isn't "destroying" the country...I guess it's helping or something

Last edited:

"It's Obama's fault because he won't pretend that he lost those ObamaCare votes (and SCOTUS ruling)."

The Tea Party is succeeding in one thing and one thing only: Making Themselves and Republicans (by association) look stupid.

deep gop made mess of this shutdown and debt fight. But that does not mean they won,t do well in midterms next year. A year a long time in politics. Obama knows this as in 2011 he looked finished and year later he won reelection.

And answer me this: Is it proper governance to continue raising the debt ceiling and further continue reckless spending? Which is more dangerous? Just how many straws will it take to break the camel's back?

that's all well and good, but don't sell a bunch of voters on the notion that 50 house members can derail a law.

no different than 9 unelected Supreme Court justices or 1 activist judge in a lesser court. At least in this case, those representatives were duly elected by their constituents.

That is an entire branch of Government

Read your Constitution

What do they do?

if abiding by the Constitution, eliminating deficit spending, etc., is governance by emotion, than what do you consider rational governance...

And really, would it be such a terrible thing, even if we had to keep the individual mandate, which there would be ways around, but even if we had to keep WOULD IT BE THE END OF THE FREAKIGN FREE WORLD

to have a healthcare scheme where taxing insurors and doctors raised money that we used to pay for other people to have insurance for their kids.

I mean are they seriously thinking we're going Cuba here? Well they are, and THIS IS THE CRAZY coming out.

And really, would it be such a terrible thing, even if we had to keep the individual mandate, which there would be ways around, but even if we had to keep WOULD IT BE THE END OF THE FREAKIGN FREE WORLD

to have a healthcare scheme where taxing insurors and doctors raised money that we used to pay for other people to have insurance for their kids.

I mean are they seriously thinking we're going Cuba here? Well they are, and THIS IS THE CRAZY coming out.

Deep down america will remain a great country whoever in charge of it. It people are strong and i think it always will carry on whoever leading it. whether thats gop or dems

That is an entire branch of Government

Read your Constitution

so is Congress which is made up of 535 members elected by their constituents. And 1 activist judge is not an entire branch of government. If 50 members are "holding things up" then they are acting in accordance with their constituents desires. Our Republic wasn't meant to operate efficiently or by a majority. That is why we have a House of Representatives & Electoral College. The Founding Fathers feared mob rule mentality just for this very reason.

Oh yeah. Citizens United is an abomination. It is one the worst pieces of legislation that has ever been introduced in this country.

You saw it in the 2012 election when candidates in the GOP Clown Car had unlimited funds to run futile campaigns. The eventual GOP candidate burnt himself out before he even got to the convention

Now anonymous contributors are lining up on both sides of a GOP Civil War. The TeaTards lack the numbers but have the political clout to bully moderate Republicans into submission

And answer me this: Is it proper governance to continue raising the debt ceiling and further continue reckless spending? Which is more dangerous? Just how many straws will it take to break the camel's back? It discourages me that people are willing to ignore the ramifications of their actions.

The one thing they are trying to do is defund Obamacare. That's it. They can't do it legislatively because they don't have the votes so they are going to hold up a vote of funding the Government and paying our debt until they get something they are never going to get. Defunding a law that was passed 3 years ago.

They need to go after more voters and elect more people who hold their ideals but they can't do that. They can only win in Gerrymandered districts where people who are easily swayed elect them into power. They only have power in the House because of the Gerrymandering and an ineffective majority leader who won't even go against them to bring a clean bill up for a vote to fund the Government.

They don't deserve a place at the table because they won't compromise. Governing is all about compromise.

Most people don't want what they are selling right now.

Some law. It was changed, amended, altered and delayed. Frankly it shouldn't even be a law now, it should be working it's way back through both houses of Congress. Obama overstepped his authority when he did what he did to it. If Obamacare was so great, why isn't the website working? Why aren't millions of people signed up for it already? The anvil rests purely on your shoulders.

Its funny, you're a Democrat/Liberal yet you seem to think you know what's going to help the GOP. I see this as nothing more than as a condescending attitude borne out of inherent arrogance. They have power in the house now due to the people wanting an insurmountable obstacle to governmental excesses. It's easy to see.

Funny, they deserve to be there because my vote among millions of others put them there. It's ironic, you want it just the same way the British had it before the people rebelled. "If you don't agree with us, you are not a part of us." How vile.

Right, let the law stand or fall on it's own. It passed both the House and the Senate and was signed into law by the President who happened to be re-elected. It was also deemed Constitutional by the Supreme Court. So they need to give up on their one and only goal of defunding the law and let it stand or fail on it's own. Of course, they can always come up with an alternative or they can come up with some tweaks that'll make it better but they haven't really done that. They just want to undo it which actually hurt people who are already benefiting from the law.

So no, their way of doing things in Congress is not compromise, working with the other side or even their own side, or even coming up with a better idea. Their antics are opposed by a majority of the American people and they are playing a dangerous game with the US and the entire world economy.

On that basis alone, they do not deserve a spot at the table.

Forum List

Back