Dems Big Push for 2014: Minimum Wage

Pretty smart move if the DEMS are willing to play the long game with it. The nation is ready for a higher FMW. The basic lie about it is that it will raise prices. Prices are rising anyway without the added benefit of additional pay for the workers so, at least, this will include that benefit.

Again, when you have a consumer based economy and wages for the consumers remain flat, you're going to have some economic problems since your engine isn't getting any fuel. At the very least, this will be fuel for the engine. I doubt the engine will go very far at the outset because a lot of the new monies will go toward debt reduction but after that, you'll see some real growth.

This is the dumbest post yet.

Let me paraphrase you, prices are already rising so let's help make them rise faster and higher.

Policymakers need to find ways to reduce the barriers to job creation instead of adding to them.

Raising the FMW will keep younger workers that primarily need these jobs from getting these jobs. Businesses will either eliminate positions or hire more experienced workers at the higher mandated wage.

And the alternative is to do what; keep on with stagnant wages and rising prices anyway? Uh, no thanks. It's well past time the FMW should be raised. Fear is only effective when people believe you.
Well, actually instituting business-friendly policies that encourage hiring, expansion, investment and new business formation would take care of that. And wouldn't cost nearly as much as UE benefits or food stamps.
But the Left wont hear of it.

Let me paraphrase you, prices are already rising so let's help make them rise faster and higher.

Policymakers need to find ways to reduce the barriers to job creation instead of adding to them.

Raising the FMW will keep younger workers that primarily need these jobs from getting these jobs. Businesses will either eliminate positions or hire more experienced workers at the higher mandated wage.

And the alternative is to do what; keep on with stagnant wages and rising prices anyway? Uh, no thanks. It's well past time the FMW should be raised. Fear is only effective when people believe you.
Well, actually instituting business-friendly policies that encourage hiring, expansion, investment and new business formation would take care of that. And wouldn't cost nearly as much as UE benefits or food stamps.

That's too simple and the party can't drive more people onto the government tit if they did that...Don't think Democrats don't know what they are doing, evil bastards

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/u...rn-to-minimum-wage-as-2014-strategy.html?_r=0

The effort to take advantage of growing populism among voters in both parties is being coordinated by officials from the White House, labor unions and liberal advocacy groups.

In a series of strategy meetings and conference calls among them in recent weeks, they have focused on two levels: an effort to raise the federal minimum wage, which will be pushed by President Obama and congressional leaders, and a campaign to place state-level minimum wage proposals on the ballot in states with hotly contested congressional races.

With polls showing widespread support for an increase in the $7.25-per-hour federal minimum wage among both Republican and Democratic voters, top Democrats see not only a wedge issue that they hope will place Republican candidates in a difficult position, but also a tool with which to enlarge the electorate in a nonpresidential election, when turnout among minorities and youths typically drops off.

“It puts Republicans on the wrong side of an important value issue when it comes to fairness,” said Dan Pfeiffer, the president’s senior adviser. “You can make a very strong case that this will be a helpful issue for Democrats in 2014. But the goal here is to actually get it done. That’s why the president put it on the agenda.”

That's certainly going to make the 2014 elections interesting.

Give everyone a $100 dollars an hour. That will work. Oh yeah that's the ticket.

Yup, my wonderful, all-inclusive insurance remains intact.

This does not preclude me wanting to see all americans with health insurance, especially those with pre-existing conditions.

And we wouldn't have to be addressing the minimum wage issue if Americans had gotten a cost-of-living increase every time Congress gave themselves one. :thup:

If you weren't such a dumbass, I'd think you might be employed in something above min wage.

The corporatists love this idea. They'll squawk and push the right to fight it knowing full well that if it goes through people will somehow think they done something good.

And it will pull attention away from the fact that our government feeds big business and vice versa. Until the left gets that through their pea-brains, you'll all be begging for minimum wage just to pay your health care preimiums and maybe eat beans and weenieds on a good day.

America's education system ! A lot of wasted money that created a lot of stupid people (assuming Poop attended school in the U.S.).

The far left cares not for the people they want to subjugate, they only care about getting their way.

They keep talking about voting in their best interests.

There is already enough regulation to suppress the formation of small businesses. This isn't going to help. And big business will continue to rake it in on all sides.

Does anybody else get pissed that CEO's get 10's of millions of dollars just for screwing up ?

You're in Tennesse right? I was living in Nunnelly and my sweetist friend couldn't bring home food. He worked at Arby's up in Columbia. I was more than well off with my husband working at Saturn, but there were not many like me.

They were mandated to throw out all this food. Every night. Every night they had to throw out food that could have fed a a whole county.

So you have governments giving out food stamps while all this food is going into dumpsters

Such as?

You're in Tennesse right? I was living in Nunnelly and my sweetist friend couldn't bring home food. He worked at Arby's up in Columbia. I was more than well off with my husband working at Saturn, but there were not many like me.

They were mandated to throw out all this food. Every night. Every night they had to throw out food that could have fed a a whole county.

So you have governments giving out food stamps while all this food is going into dumpsters

Nunnely is down the road from me, so to speak. I've even been there.
Yeah, of course if they ate it and got sick, even if it was from ingesting a dozen beers at the same time, they'd sue whomever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/30/u...rn-to-minimum-wage-as-2014-strategy.html?_r=0

The effort to take advantage of growing populism among voters in both parties is being coordinated by officials from the White House, labor unions and liberal advocacy groups.

In a series of strategy meetings and conference calls among them in recent weeks, they have focused on two levels: an effort to raise the federal minimum wage, which will be pushed by President Obama and congressional leaders, and a campaign to place state-level minimum wage proposals on the ballot in states with hotly contested congressional races.

With polls showing widespread support for an increase in the $7.25-per-hour federal minimum wage among both Republican and Democratic voters, top Democrats see not only a wedge issue that they hope will place Republican candidates in a difficult position, but also a tool with which to enlarge the electorate in a nonpresidential election, when turnout among minorities and youths typically drops off.

“It puts Republicans on the wrong side of an important value issue when it comes to fairness,” said Dan Pfeiffer, the president’s senior adviser. “You can make a very strong case that this will be a helpful issue for Democrats in 2014. But the goal here is to actually get it done. That’s why the president put it on the agenda.”
That's certainly going to make the 2014 elections interesting.

Give everyone a $100 dollars an hour. That will work. Oh yeah that's the ticket.
Why not $1,000? Why limit it?

Pretty smart move if the DEMS are willing to play the long game with it. The nation is ready for a higher FMW. The basic lie about it is that it will raise prices. Prices are rising anyway without the added benefit of additional pay for the workers so, at least, this will include that benefit.

Again, when you have a consumer based economy and wages for the consumers remain flat, you're going to have some economic problems since your engine isn't getting any fuel. At the very least, this will be fuel for the engine. I doubt the engine will go very far at the outset because a lot of the new monies will go toward debt reduction but after that, you'll see some real growth.

it will raise prices but it will also eliminate jobs. you'll see more automation. you'll see further outsourcing. you'll see less consumer convenience. as far as fuel for the engine it will be watered down gas.

the only reason the dems are making this push right now is they need money in people hands to pay for obamacare. this won't be extra income in their pockets

Very interesting wording. but it really identifies where democrats heads are at. wake up people, this isn't about you. they could give a rats ass about the people. its nothing more than a last ditch effort to try to win an election they know they are going to lose.

Very interesting wording. but it really identifies where democrats heads are at. wake up people, this isn't about you. they could give a rats ass about the people. its nothing more than a last ditch effort to try to win an election they know they are going to lose.
Yep...and don't look for this the last in their bag of dirty tricks geared for the weak-minded they don't want to lose control over...and that includes far too many on these boards.

Such as?

This is one thing the democrats are doing I support. If taxpayers can afford bailing out big corporations or subsidizing them, companies can afford paying a extra dollar or two an hour to working people in a don economy with a rising cost of living. Also maybe these corporations will think twice about supporting flooding this country with low skilled immigrants if they have the pay them a higher wage.

Yep...and don't look for this the last in their bag of dirty tricks geared for the weak-minded they don't want to lose control over...and that includes far too many on these boards.

most of those people who didn't have insurance before but are now covered by obamacare are flipping out. either they are shell shocked by the deductibles or sweating the portions of the premiums they now have to pay. 30 - 40 million Obama supporters in previous elections are now 2nd guessing. democrats are hopping they can buy those votes back. of course it will cost everyone in the long run

most of those people who didn't have insurance before but are now covered by obamacare are flipping out. either they are shell shocked by the deductibles or sweating the portions of the premiums they now have to pay. 30 - 40 million Obama supporters in previous elections are now 2nd guessing. democrats are hopping they can buy those votes back. of course it will cost everyone in the long run

Deductible.

Heart transplant bill.

Easy choice.

Such as?
Let's see:
-Cut unemployment insurance to 3 weeks
-Repeal Obamacare
-Cut corporate tax rates to zero
-Institute flat tax
-Cut corporate welfare
-Cut mandates like ethanol
-Cut about 2/3 of OSHA regs--in fact cut anything that has not demonstrated effectiveness in 5 years
-Repeal the minimum wage
-Sign free trade agreements with as many countries as possible
-Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley
-Repeal Dodd-Frank

There's a good start right there.

Deductible.

Heart transplant bill.

Easy choice.

food on the table

aches, pains fever

I'm guessing they'll eat.

of course all of the top medical facilities and hospitals are exempt from taking obamacare.

I guess they will have to settle for 2nd best. can't have them poor folks in with the rich ones now can we

Forum List

Back