Dems starting to ban garbage bags

I have noticed that people who object to plastic bags as litter never object to used needles or dirty disposable diapers as litter.

I think a far better way to accomplish the same goals would be to require that stores not give bags away for free, but instead pay a charge of ten cents or so a bag.

It would be so progressive to ban toilet paper. Only one household toilet flush per day

Although my ideas are in the earliest stages of development, they are, in my mind, worth investigating. One of my favorites is in the area of forest conservation which we heavily rely on for oxygen. I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required. When presenting this idea to my younger brother, who's judgment I trust implicitly, he proposed taking it one step further. I believe his quote was, "how bout just washing the one square out."

Read more: Sheryl Crow Proposed Limitation on How Much Toilet Paper We Use | NewsBusters

:cuckoo:

It would be so progressive to ban toilet paper. Only one household toilet flush per day

Although my ideas are in the earliest stages of development, they are, in my mind, worth investigating. One of my favorites is in the area of forest conservation which we heavily rely on for oxygen. I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required. When presenting this idea to my younger brother, who's judgment I trust implicitly, he proposed taking it one step further. I believe his quote was, "how bout just washing the one square out."

Read more: Sheryl Crow Proposed Limitation on How Much Toilet Paper We Use | NewsBusters

:cuckoo:

Why do righties care so much about what celebrities say?

How about the poor?
They can re-use durable bags and save money in the long run. Its good for the poor to save money, isn't it?

You people want the government to dictate to businesses everything.
You don't want government to do anything at all. If you had it your way restaurants wouldn't even have to supply sinks and soap for the employees to wash their hands.

How about the poor?
They can re-use durable bags and save money in the long run. Its good for the poor to save money, isn't it?

You don't want government to do anything at all. If you had it your way restaurants wouldn't even have to supply sinks and soap for the employees to wash their hands.

You don't see a difference between a burger flipper wiping his ass with his hand and a mandate on what kind of bags a consumer can use?

That's because you are a liberal. Reductio ad absurdum in the liberal stock.

So what gives them the right to ban plastic bags? I'd fine everyone $50/bag for littering is a better way to protect the environment.

Please leave them alone so I can load and unload my food. I hate paper bags as I can't hold as many, :( Sometimes I walk to the store and carry things back too.

Why are you so against it besides someone of the opposite political party suggesting it?

It will make my life more difficult. Not so much another party is suggesting it.

Dude, I'm glad you said that because really that's all the hubbub is about. Convenience...but other ppl like to pretend its an assault on freedom. Imagine how inconvenient it will be once these bags show up in storm drains, oceans, fish etc...

How about the poor?

You don't see a difference between a burger flipper wiping his ass with his hand and a mandate on what kind of bags a consumer can use?

That's because you are a liberal. Reductio ad absurdum in the liberal stock.

But its not a mandate on what kinds of bags consumers may use - its a mandate on what kinds of bags retailers may use.

Did it ever occur to you that you're allowed to bring your own bags or is you laziness and lack of personal responsibility so high that the thought never occurred to you?

They made the grocery store plastic bags thinner and thinner and thinner (to save the environment they said). That didn't work because those bags break so they double and triple bag. Now they want to ban them altogether? So the bags I now get and re-use to clean out the litter boxes and clean up after the dogs won't be there but I can buy plastic bags to do the same thing. And this saves the earth ... how?

Instead of charging people who use plastic grocery store bags why not give a discount to those who use re-usable bags, like Giant does?

What about the tons of styrofoam and plastic that gets thrown away every day? Will they ban these packagings too?

Cripes, the companies come up with all these disposable items, doing away with more easily recyclable things like glass and cloth, only to have uncle say nope. The world is too disposable, imo.

I saw these and may buy some. Pretty cool.

b6fe537c92c980b7ee01965bdecc40a6.jpg

Reisenthel EasyBags

I think a far better way to accomplish the same goals would be to require that stores not give bags away for free, but instead pay a charge of ten cents or so a bag.

The store where I shop has a much better program. They give you a 5-cent discount for each non-disposable bag you use.

People react more to negative enforcement than positive. If, instead, your store charged 5 cents a bag and gave no discounts - but then discounted their groceries by the exact amount required for the average purchase of groceries to break even on that change - more people would bring their own bags.

I think there are bigger fish to fry than grocery bags, but this is Massachusetts' decision. Its actually not an entirely simple question on whether or not plastic is worse than paper for the environment - for instance if a grocery store is right next door to the plastic bag factory but 500 miles from the nearest paper bag factory, on balance it may be better to use plastic.

Last edited:
I use plastic bags. Throwing away the reusables got too expensive and they never came out of the wash the same.

I get small plastic trash bags on a roll, use them and then I have them to reuse for trash. I still have to buy plastic dog poo bags. So all I can say is, more trash, and more expense to fix a problem that never existed in the first place.

Time to boot the Nanny/Police Staters. Their time has passed. We're fast approaching a return to a time of Freedom & Liberty. God Bless America.

You are such a dumbfuck. Your unwashed purse carries way more diseases and germs than any reusable, WASHABLE grocery bag.

All the manufacturers who made plastic bags have switched from petroleum based plastics to starch based compostable bags.

How many of those "washable" bags are ever actually WASHED?

When you wash them, they come out all skanky. You really have to throw them away and get new ones. It becomes a balancing act. Use them and just before you think they have become toxic, get new ones. Ultimately, nothing is done about unusable bags themselves. Instead of reusing or throwing away plastic bags, you end up throwing away reusable bags, AND had to buy plastic bags to use for all the things you used to use the throw aways for. This isn't exactly helping to reduce the amount of garbage, it has just changed the garbage from one substance to another. One kind of plastic bag for another kind of plastic bag. The amount of garbage just increases.

Of course this does NOTHING about the lead in the bags themselves.

Tests find high levels of lead in reusable bags - USATODAY.com

Seriously, your thinking process goes one step and then stops. Is it really that difficult to think two or more steps in a row?

If your re-usable bag is making you sick then WASH IT.

If your re-usable bag doesn't wash well then GET ONE THAT DOES.

If your re-usable bag has lead in it then then GET ONE THAT DOESN'T.

How to buy lead-safe, reusable shopping bags?

That article, as well as yours I might add, was written over two years ago. Do you think the re-usable bags might have improved since then?

How many of those "washable" bags are ever actually WASHED?

When you wash them, they come out all skanky. You really have to throw them away and get new ones. It becomes a balancing act. Use them and just before you think they have become toxic, get new ones. Ultimately, nothing is done about unusable bags themselves. Instead of reusing or throwing away plastic bags, you end up throwing away reusable bags, AND had to buy plastic bags to use for all the things you used to use the throw aways for. This isn't exactly helping to reduce the amount of garbage, it has just changed the garbage from one substance to another. One kind of plastic bag for another kind of plastic bag. The amount of garbage just increases.

Seriously, your thinking process goes one step and then stops. Is it really that difficult to think two or more steps in a row?

That article, as well as yours I might add, was written over two years ago. Do you think the re-usable bags might have improved since then?

Washing a re-usable bag rather undercuts the "ecological" aspect. How much water, detergent and electricity go into keeping bags properly hygienic?

They made the grocery store plastic bags thinner and thinner and thinner (to save the environment they said). That didn't work because those bags break so they double and triple bag. Now they want to ban them altogether? So the bags I now get and re-use to clean out the litter boxes and clean up after the dogs won't be there but I can buy plastic bags to do the same thing. And this saves the earth ... how?

Instead of charging people who use plastic grocery store bags why not give a discount to those who use re-usable bags, like Giant does?

What about the tons of styrofoam and plastic that gets thrown away every day? Will they ban these packagings too?

Cripes, the companies come up with all these disposable items, doing away with more easily recyclable things like glass and cloth, only to have uncle say nope. The world is too disposable, imo.

I saw these and may buy some. Pretty cool.

b6fe537c92c980b7ee01965bdecc40a6.jpg

Reisenthel EasyBags

What's wrong with compostable bags?

I'll agree the world is too disposable but since this world isn't going to change it's habits very soon, products which fit our lifestyle are the answer:

BioBag is the World’s largest selling brand of certified compostable, 100% biodegradable bags and films.

Biodegradable Products Institute - Member directory

Vegware: Compostable tableware, biodegradable, bagasse, PLA corn, cups, bowls, plates, hot cup lids, hot cups, bags, to go containers, cutlery, forks, knives, spoons

Biodegradeable Compostable Sustainable | UltraGreen

Washing a re-usable bag rather undercuts the "ecological" aspect. How much water, detergent and electricity go into keeping bags properly hygienic?

Really? With all the laundry you do, you think the environmental impact of washing a bag or two negates the use of them entirely?

How much energy do you think goes into making one single-use plastic bag?

No one should have to use, wash or reuse anything to make the government happy. But we have a totalitarian oppressive government intent on total control. That includes your bags.

I got a keurig coffee maker just for the pleasure of throwing the little plastic non biodegradable cups away.

Forum List

Back