Detroit..A Democrat Failure

I wonder if those executives who ran our car companies into the ground were Democrat or Republican?

The UAW destroyed Detroit, plain and simple...

They undeniably supported Democrats...

You're forgetting the UAW members made twice as much as their Japanese counter parts...

Republicans have made it their mission to destroy the middle class I mean Unions. Why would Unions support them?

Republicans don't need to destroy the Middle Class because Obama's doing that himself, and as for Unions, they are destroying themselves.

Detroit would not be in the mess it's in if only American workers would learn to shut the fuck up and work for whateve shit wages the bossman is offering.

I wonder if those executives who ran our car companies into the ground were Democrat or Republican?

You're forgetting the UAW members made twice as much as their Japanese counter parts...

Republicans have made it their mission to destroy the middle class I mean Unions. Why would Unions support them?

Republicans believe in a fair pay for a fair day's of work.

Unions believe extorting as much pay as legally possible for as little work as possible.

Unions believe extorting as much pay as legally possible for as little work as possible.

Congratulations!

You win the Bullshit Post of the Day!

They sucked the Golden Goose dry...old Democrat habits and influence die hard it seems..

Detroit failed because greedy American car manufacturers moved their manufacturing plants to foreign countries, decimating Detroit's tax base.

Detroit failed because greedy American car manufacturers moved their manufacturing plants to foreign countries, decimating Detroit's tax base.

You should read the thread I'm thinkin...

You wingnuts actually think Detroit and Chicago are going anywhere?

OK... :lol:

Demographic

Congratulations!

Why, THANK YOU!!!

I never needed a union to speak for me, and even though English is not my first language, I was always able to speak for myself.

I taught myself COBOL programming language, while I still worked on the factory floor. When I was ready, I applied for a transfer to data processing, got it, and in time I became successful enough to get a transfer to work the company's head office. And I am happy to say, my factory floor experience came in handy when I was called to work during a couple of strikes by the union. Our "SCAB" work saved the jobs of many, who would never make up what they lost with their union induced foolish strike.

I am just a typical hard working immigrant. The only thing not typical about me is my desire to succeed on my own. And I did. Without paying union dues to some thugs, who would have dropped me like hot potato if I had ever been foolish enough to depend on them.

Unions are for weak-kneed bleeding hearts who are too cowardly to stand on their own.

Congratulations!

My ex father in law was a union member in Houston (right to work state) and then became the owner. His approach to the union changed when he had to make sure everyone was paid...

Moral to the story, there are two sides, when you have to meet payroll, your tune changes fast...

So who was responsible for Detroit's problems? Was it the workers, the unions, the city government, state government, General Motors products?
My take on the problem began with the VW Bug, people began buy VW's for a number of reasons and GM and Chrysler felt the competition, and after a critical business examination about their own lack of quality, gas hog automobiles fixed the problem with bigger tail-fins.

My father ran a division of General Motors, the union members never worked more than 5hrs. a day, so they just napped and played cards and such.

My father ran a division of General Motors, the union members never worked more than 5hrs. a day, so they just napped and played cards and such.

I have family members who work for GM and Jeep down here. They do not work 5 hour days. You can't just walk off the line and take a nap for God's sake. Those guys would beat you up.

I have family members who work for GM and Jeep down here. They do not work 5 hour days. You can't just walk off the line and take a nap for God's sake. Those guys would beat you up.

That's great to hear...I hope it lasts

My father worked and ran the Division (not automotive) from the 60' thru the 80's, it closed down and moved to Japan.

Last edited:

Congratulations!

Really? I thought it stated the issue as near the truth, and in as concise a manner, as has been done in this thread, one likely to draw plenty who will dilate with luxuriant amplification. The thread is, after all, a brazen attempt by Bolsheviks to blame the collapse of Detroit on someone other than the Democrats who have had as complete a stranglehold on it as Castro has Cuba....and for just as long.

Is the American Public so poorly educated, or bought off, or both, as to believe them?

The Democrats apparently think so. And they know their constituency.

There were a lot of factors to that besides just greedy fatcat stockhlders wanting to make money. By the late 1960s the rest of the world had finished rebuilding from WW2 and no longer needed America to make things. Now that things could be made overseas for significantly less money because of the high state of living Americans demanded and could be made in foreign factories for pennies on the wage dollar, It no longer made any economic sense for a firm like GM to not farm at least of its work to overseas factories.

Then we need to throw in the fact that so many US factories had never been upgraded and renovated and were now competing against new foreign factories. A Pittsburgh steel mill in 1967 using 1920s technology just cannot compete against a Japanese factory using the 1960s technology.

Then we get to throw in the whole environmental laws that started popping up in the 60s. It was cheaper to send work overseas in established factories or even in new factories than to deal with old equipment that would cost a fortune to bring up to new codes.

Throw in a falling dollar (and eventually end of the gold standard for fiat currency) and the US just couldn't compete.

Forum List

Back