Do those on the left really want to discuss the whole racism issue?

Having a conservative tell me that the Right has no improvements to make on race is like having a "progressive" tell me the same thing (and they do):
Improvements such as what?
Racism still exists. The denial of racism still exists. Those are two large improvements that can be made.

Until that is at least acknowledged, we're not going to have an honest conversation on race in the country.

And yes, the other "side" has improvements to make as well. But each "side" still needs to look in the mirror.

Having a conservative tell me that the Right has no improvements to make on race is like having a "progressive" tell me the same thing (and they do):
Racism still exists. The denial of racism still exists. Those are two large improvements that can be made.

Until that is at least acknowledged, we're not going to have an honest conversation on race in the country.

And yes, the other "side" has improvements to make as well. But each "side" still needs to look in the mirror.

The practice of racism does not exist. We have multiple laws against it.

Blacks are entitled to primary education just like whites.
Blacks are capable of advanced education just like whites.
Blacks have equal opportunity (or better opportunity) to employment than whites.
Blacks have equal opportunity where they wish to live as whites.

America is not holding blacks back. White people are not holding blacks back. The only people holding blacks back are blacks, and there is nothing anybody can do about that other than blacks.

Blacks have equal opportunity (or better opportunity) to employment than whites.

America is not holding blacks back. White people are not holding blacks back. The only people holding blacks back are blacks, and there is nothing anybody can do about that other than blacks.
None of the examples you provided have anything to do with what racism actually is, an attitude that affects actions in ways that may or may not be detectable.

If you really believe that racism no longer exists, that's fine, and that's the point I made earlier. We're a long way from healing.

None of the examples you provided have anything to do with what racism actually is, an attitude that affects actions in ways that may or may not be detectable.

If you really believe that racism no longer exists, that's fine, and that's the point I made earlier. We're a long way from healing.

If you mean racism as in dislike for a race, then what do we do, have people reprogrammed like in the book 1984?

Unless you go through life with rose colored glasses, you are going to find things you dislike in life. You are going to have jobs you disliked, you are going to live places you dislike, you are going to own cars you eventually dislike, you are going to dislike people based on a number of things.

If you mean racism as in dislike for a race, then what do we do, have people reprogrammed like in the book 1984?

Unless you go through life with rose colored glasses, you are going to find things you dislike in life. You are going to have jobs you disliked, you are going to live places you dislike, you are going to own cars you eventually dislike, you are going to dislike people based on a number of things.
You missed the part where I said "an attitude that affects actions".

What actions do you speak of? Give us an example or two.

Holy crap, never mind.

There is no racism. I'm not going to burn time on this. There is no PC or Identity Politics either, that's what the Left tells me.

This is going to take a long, long time.

Holy crap, never mind.

There is no racism. I'm not going to burn time on this. There is no PC or Identity Politics either, that's what the Left tells me.

This is going to take a long, long time.

Yep, I thought you would respond that way.

So from what we were told, the whole not standing for the national anthem was suppose to generate meaningful discussions about the ills of society?

If so, let's get it on!

First off, there is racism and there will always be racism. Nothing will change this fact.

Secondly, there are things we can do to reduce racism, but it's not a one way road.

What we have in the US today is a black culture steeped in gang violence, drugs, and poverty. It is a self perpetuating fact. Here we have a small number of blacks that are responsible for the majority of violent crimes in the US.

Now put yourself in the shoes of a police officer in that violent community. You will always be on your guard. If you lower your guard, you die, but if you "snap" and make the wrong move you get sued. How would you fair at that job?

It is also true that blacks are profiled. Of course, middle eastern men are also profiled on board planes. Why? Is it because of racism? No, it's because most acts of international terrorism are carried out by such people.

Last year, about 250 black men were killed by police officers, and guess what, those police officers were not all white. Now let's consider the violence in Chicago every year. Black on black violence accounts for more than double the number of blacks killed by police officers. Where are the protests about that? There are none to be heard. How is it that police are not suppose to kill blacks when they are killing themselves in such numbers? It is insane.

What we are witnessing is America paying for the sins of the past, but to continually try to blame others for the problem instead of taking accountability for our own short comings is poison.

What say you?

To paragraph 5 I say, why? Answer with some intelligence and we can proceed.

So why is the black culture steeped in poverty and violence?

So from what we were told, the whole not standing for the national anthem was suppose to generate meaningful discussions about the ills of society?

If so, let's get it on!

First off, there is racism and there will always be racism. Nothing will change this fact.

Secondly, there are things we can do to reduce racism, but it's not a one way road.

What we have in the US today is a black culture steeped in gang violence, drugs, and poverty. It is a self perpetuating fact. Here we have a small number of blacks that are responsible for the majority of violent crimes in the US.

Now put yourself in the shoes of a police officer in that violent community. You will always be on your guard. If you lower your guard, you die, but if you "snap" and make the wrong move you get sued. How would you fair at that job?

It is also true that blacks are profiled. Of course, middle eastern men are also profiled on board planes. Why? Is it because of racism? No, it's because most acts of international terrorism are carried out by such people.

Last year, about 250 black men were killed by police officers, and guess what, those police officers were not all white. Now let's consider the violence in Chicago every year. Black on black violence accounts for more than double the number of blacks killed by police officers. Where are the protests about that? There are none to be heard. How is it that police are not suppose to kill blacks when they are killing themselves in such numbers? It is insane.

What we are witnessing is America paying for the sins of the past, but to continually try to blame others for the problem instead of taking accountability for our own short comings is poison.

What say you?

To paragraph 5 I say, why? Answer with some intelligence and we can proceed.

So why is the black culture steeped in poverty and violence?
I just read this article from a 2016 article in The Guardian:
"We’ve been duped. When black neighborhoods are compared with white neighborhoods of similar income levels, you see similar rates of crime. The fallacy of comparing white neighborhoods with black neighborhoods is in lumping together together wealthy and upper-middle-class neighborhoods (categories that not many black folks are in) with middle- and low-income ones. But that’s not how the world works. Poor white people in Memphis aren’t kicking it with rich ones in Bel Air.

Explaining crime and poverty as a result of black behavioral choice, further, disguises ways that both are caused by capitalism. Recasting systemic inequality as cultural choice suggests that black people aren’t determined enough – that it’s their own fault they remain in poverty. Out of economic deprivation comes violence – not because poor people have bad attitudes or cultural deficiencies, but because without a real economic safety net, the machinations required for survival can involve illegal business. And whereas legal business has the police to physically enforce the laws that govern it, disputes and agreements in illegal businesses are settled and enforced by the practitioners themselves."

I think this explains a lot. The poverty most often creates the violence. When my husband was growing up in the inner city, black folks had jobs and houses, neighborhoods flourished and people watched out for each other. When jobs and opportunities left, things changed. Behaviors changed mostly out of the desperation created by that change.

Forum List

Back