Do we live in America or do we live in Africa?

You must get totally different ads than the rest of us. I have never seen an ad that uses Ebonics or rap lingo.
Like I said … I don't watch ads anymore. Haven't watched the boob-tube in years. If I watch YouTube through my gaming console, I get idiotic ads, so I simply turn off the console and watch on my computer internet connection. Totally ad-free.

Perhaps they assume you are not a hate filled racist that will stop giving them your business because they have a black person in an ad

Silly them
Flip the reasoning, the assumption seems to be that people of color will only buy a product if the commercial actors represent them and by extension their aspirations. Are they incapable of being induced to make purchases if the are being sold by orientals, caucasians, or the one eyed one horned flying purple people eater? Are they that racist and are we to accept that when the inverse is out of bounds?

Flip the reasoning, the assumption seems to be that people of color will only buy a product if the commercial actors represent them and by extension their aspirations. Are they incapable of being induced to make purchases if the are being sold by orientals, caucasians, or the one eyed one horned flying purple people eater? Are they that racist and are we to accept that when the inverse is out of bounds?
I know my wife and daughter are more likely to buy beauty and hair products if the company is advertised as Black owned or at least advertises their competency with black skin tones and hair. I can tell you from the long hours I've spent having to listen to the two of them commiserate that it isn't always easy finding products that work for them with traditionally white owned businesses.

Market research has shown people like to see people like themselves represented in ads and are more likely to feel a product is meant for them if people like them are using it.

For example, when coco cola runs ads in other countries, the ads reflect the populations and culture there. We are a diverse country and marketing trends reflect and a desire to get some of that market share.

We are a diverse nation, with 46% of our population non-white. That is a reality and no amount of kicking and screaming will change.

The main upset though seems to be that more BLACKS are being shown, despite the fact that many more Hispanics are being shown, more Asians, and even disabled people.

So why is that?

Market research has shown people like to see people like themselves represented in ads and are more likely to feel a product is meant for them if people like them are using it.

For example, when coco cola runs ads in other countries, the ads reflect the populations and culture there. We are a diverse country and marketing trends reflect and a desire to get some of that market share.

We are a diverse nation, with 46% of our population non-white. That is a reality and no amount of kicking and screaming will change.

The main upset though seems to be that more BLACKS are being shown, despite the fact that many more Hispanics are being shown, more Asians, and even disabled people.

So why is that?
No, the problem is the DISPROPORTIONATE percentage of blacks shown in ads - around 50% when they are only 13% of the population. That means advertisers are using race as a primary factor in decided whom to hire as models and actors, and that is racist.

Secondly, if research proves that people are more likely to buy a product when the user in an ad looks like them, as you say above, then why are advertisers showing such a small percentage of whites relative to their percentage in the population? Are you saying that advertisers want sales from potential consumers in a 13% minority more than they want sales from the largest potential group?

No, the problem is the DISPROPORTIONATE percentage of blacks shown in ads - around 50% when they are only 13% of the population. That means advertisers are using race as a primary factor in decided whom to hire as models and actors, and that is racist.

Secondly, if research proves that people are more likely to buy a product when the user in an ad looks like them, as you say above, then why are advertisers showing such a small percentage of whites relative to their percentage in the population? Are you saying that advertisers want sales from potential consumers in a 13% minority more than they want sales from the largest potential group?
One, you haven't proven your claim that 50% of ads have black people in them and two, just because ads contain black people doesn't mean they only contain black people. They could very well be only 13% of that particular ad but your such a triggered Snowflake that the sight of a black person anywhere breaks you. No wonder you couldn't hack it in college. 😄

Then how do you know this statement is true...."we're being bombarded with a bunch of blacks mumbling in Ebonics or Rap Lingo"?
That's based on the fact that if I see ads when watching YouTube through my Xbox Series X. The moment I'm hit with several ads ... I turn off the console and switch to my computer (which is hooked to my flat screen TV).

Oh for God sakes. Using race AS A factor is not racist. They are trying to capture a greater share of the market.
Companies make choices based on what is profitable and consumers are indicating they WANT to see a more diverse array of people. No one, other than a small minority of people who feel threatened by changes are paying attention to exact demographic representation. Just to point it out in another area…how about demanding a realistic demographic representation in colleges?

Maybe it is because market research shows whites also want to see more diversity and most don’t feel threatened by ads that don’t show exact demographic proportions. Believe me, ads follow the market and $$$.

Well, one side has a long and well documented history of being under represented and one does not.

But hey, if your argument is that both of you are racist I will not argue with you

That's based on the fact that if I see ads when watching YouTube through my Xbox Series X. The moment I'm hit with several ads ... I turn off the console and switch to my computer (which is hooked to my flat screen TV).

So, you do see totally different ads than the rest of us. Those are targeted at a specific consumer. That consumer is not an angry old white dude.

Maybe it is because market research shows whites also want to see more diversity and most don’t feel threatened by ads that don’t show exact demographic proportions. Believe me, ads follow the market and $$$.

You have to remember you are dealing with people that are counting the number of black people on posters inside of stores, reason and logic will never work with them

Oh for God sakes. Using race AS A factor is not racist. They are trying to capture a greater share of the market.
Companies make choices based on what is profitable and consumers are indicating they WANT to see a more diverse array of people. No one, other than a small minority of people who feel threatened by changes are paying attention to exact demographic representation. Just to point it out in another area…how about demanding a realistic demographic representation in colleges?

Your response is full of veiled (or not-so-veiled) accusations of me being a racist because I am pointing out (!!) the racism inherent in selecting people by skin color.

And if they are trying to capture greater market share, they wouldn’t be targeting a minority of the population. It’s all this dangerous “wokeness.” Are you trying to tell me that the Bud Marketing Director was trying to increase market share by ignoring the largest segment of potential consumers - working class Americans - and going after the HUUUUGE potential market of transgenders? GMAB.

You have to remember you are dealing with people that are counting the number of black people on posters inside of stores, reason and logic will never work with them

Evidently the other side was counting the number of white people on posters, otherwise this phenomenon wouldn’t exist in the first place. Logic is not on your side.

Evidently somebody thinks people pay attention to the skin color of people in commercials, otherwise they wouldn’t be doing it in the first place.
BINGO! If they were ignoring skin color, the commercials would be about 13% black, 75% white (including Hispanic whites) , and the rest Asian American. It’s just statistics.

Evidently the other side was counting the number of white people on posters, otherwise this phenomenon wouldn’t exist in the first place. Logic is not on your side.

BINGO! If they were ignoring skin color, the commercials would be about 13% black, 75% white (including Hispanic whites) , and the rest Asian American.

So, now we are back to the "well they are racist also" tactic.

Not really sure that helps you out all that much

I truly can care less about how the fascist left will label me a racist for this thread I am posting. When I see advertisements on television, if I didn't know any better I'd think we are living in Africa, not America. The majority of advertisements are dominated by black actors and actresses. Well, what makes that interesting is, the percentage of black people in America is 13.6%, yet they are in they majority of advertisements. So, I ask; why are there not more advertisements featuring Latinos instead of black people? There are more Latinos in America than black people, there are more white people in America than black people - yet black people dominate the advertisements. Do we live in Africa and I am just not aware of it and I am using stats for America instead of Africa? Don't EVER talk to me about white privilege, the only racial privilege is black privilege - that is the only race that has a privilage.

As for me, I would not mind at all seeing some advertisements featuring Latinos, Native Americans, Asians, Pacific Islanders, Eastern Indians and giving them some identity and significance as well. Why are some of these ethnicities being ignored? Supposedly, we live in the melting pot known as America - not Africa, perhaps corporations should do a better job of diversity instead of caving in to black privilege.
What's really funny is that you watch the commercials.

So, now we are back to the "well they are racist also" tactic.

Not really sure that helps you out all that much

So now it is racist to have commericials that are more proportionally representive of our country’s racial makeup? Weird logic there.

So now it is racist to have commericials that are more proportionally representive of our country’s racial makeup? Weird logic there.

So, now every fucking individual ad is supposed to have exactly the proportional make up of the US?

You people are so fucking petty.

Forum List

Back