Economist on NAFTA #2: "I do not expect it to boost the U.S. economy.”

Ted Frazier

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2016
At first I thought Trump had finally done something great. Then I read what the experts say:

"This isn’t a revolutionary deal. It’s a modification of a deal already in place,” said Eric Winograd, senior U.S. economist at AllianceBernstein, an investment and research firm. “The total economic impact will be very small. I do not expect it to boost the U.S. economy.”

Lorenzo Caliendo, an economics professor at Yale University’s School of Management who co-authored a NAFTA study published in 2015 that concluded each American had gained about $45 a year from that treaty, said the new agreement would “clearly not” return significant numbers of manufacturing jobs to the United States.
Analysts say Trump may be overly optimistic on new North American trade deal

At first I thought Trump had finally done something great. Then I read what the experts say:

"This isn’t a revolutionary deal. It’s a modification of a deal already in place,” said Eric Winograd, senior U.S. economist at AllianceBernstein, an investment and research firm. “The total economic impact will be very small. I do not expect it to boost the U.S. economy.”

Lorenzo Caliendo, an economics professor at Yale University’s School of Management who co-authored a NAFTA study published in 2015 that concluded each American had gained about $45 a year from that treaty, said the new agreement would “clearly not” return significant numbers of manufacturing jobs to the United States.
I wonder if he was one of the ones that predicted economic collapse if Trump won?

These people put their politics before their jobs so excuse me if I think they're full of shit.

• Banned

I wonder if he was one of the ones that predicted economic collapse if Trump won?

These people put their politics before their jobs so excuse me if I think they're full of shit.
None of them predicted such thing. Don't make things up.
Or you can stop "wondering" and tell us which of them said that.

Media Predicted Economic Collapse Under Trump — It Didn’t Happen

Oh really Ted? Have you ever heard of Paul Krugman?
Read what he wrote in the New York Times about the Trump economy. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Paul Krugman: The Economic Fallout
By Paul Krugman

Comment 2016-11-09T00:42:44-05:00 12:42 AM ET
It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?

Frankly, I find it hard to care much, even though this is my specialty. The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

Under any circumstances, putting an irresponsible, ignorant man who takes his advice from all the wrong people in charge of the nation with the world’s most important economy would be very bad news. What makes it especially bad right now, however, is the fundamentally fragile state much of the world is still in, eight years after the great financial crisis.

It’s true that we’ve been adding jobs at a pretty good pace and are quite close to full employment. But we’ve been doing O.K. only thanks to extremely low interest rates. There’s nothing wrong with that per se. But what if something bad happens and the economy needs a boost? The Fed and its counterparts abroad basically have very little room for further rate cuts, and therefore very little ability to respond to adverse events.

Now comes the mother of all adverse effects — and what it brings with it is a regime that will be ignorant of economic policy and hostile to any effort to make it work. Effective fiscal support for the Fed? Not a chance. In fact, you can bet that the Fed will lose its independence, and be bullied by cranks.

So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight. I suppose we could get lucky somehow. But on economics, as on everything else, a terrible thing has just happened.

Thanks man, like OP didn’t hear it during the election.

Disingenuous liars all day long....left wing lunatics

That's why I didnt answer him. He's either a liar or massively uninformed

Slippery Angus lowers the bar from, “did these economist say it”? To “Did the media say it”?
Don’t be slippery, Angie.

I guess we will see, won’t we?

I’ll defer to results rather than liberal hand wringing.

Grampa no longer wonders whether the quoted economists said it , because “the media” said it.

Grampa no longer wonders whether the quoted economists said it , because “the media” said it.
I stand behind my post. Perhaps you're experiencing the onset of memory problems. I dunno but I also don't really care. If you want the FACT look it up

I stand behind my post. Perhaps you're experiencing the onset of memory problems. I dunno but I also don't really care. If you want the FACT look it up
I looked it up. Like you, I found no instances of the economists quoted in the Washington Post article saying that Trump would crash the economy.
Angus looked it up too. That's why he had to replace "these economists" with "the media"

I looked it up. Like you, I found no instances of the economists quoted in the Washington Post article saying that Trump would crash the economy.
Angus looked it up too. That's why he had to replace "these economists" with "the media"
Didn't need to look anything up. I remember the hysteria of the economists quite well. If you choose to forget reality that is on you.

Didn't need to look anything up.

Yes you do dummy if you want to have any credebility.

Economists quoted said no such thing and there is no way for you to pin on them someone else's predictions.

We know, we know.

Everything Trump has ever done or will ever do is exactly the wrong thing to do, by definition.

Didn't need to look anything up. I remember the hysteria of the economists quite well. If you choose to forget reality that is on you.
Love your link.
First you were “wondering “. Now you just know.

No you mean you hope it doesn't. You scum want this country to hurt.

Forum List

Back