GM to sell only 0 emission cars by 2035

All these plans for this and no one mentioned what they are going to do about the YUGE lack of electric vehicle infrastructure.
They plan on building it.
They better start. Closest EV charging port to me is an hour away. And the closest one to that is about an hour and a half away.
It's worse than just the limited number of charging stations. The ones that DO exist may be capable of charging at 90 to 120 amps, but since they so often get installed with government grants, they are typically have very limited service from the breaker. This means you can hang out waiting for a charge that could be charging 3 or 4 times faster. When the government builds infrastructure for EVs, it is like having the government help small businesses with free floppy disk drives. The government is building an obsolete charging infrastructure, so it will have to be built again the right way in the coming years. The government won't even realize that we need the new infrastructure for many years.
You will be amazed at what can happen when energy companies see profit in it. Instead of drilling multi-million dollar holes in the ground, they will be running lines to charging stations all around the country.
What will be the source of the electricity?
Wind and solar...thanks for playin...
How do you make plastic and fertilizer with wind and solar?
Goid Grief! You really are as Stupid as every one says. You make electricity with wind and solar. You makes e everything else with the electricity. Use your Brain. Don't be an Idiot for the Liar in Chief.

Hemp oil
I didn't ask what you're drinking.

But (LEFTIST TRIGGER WARNING: MATH), let's examine this. I know the effort is wasted on you, but this interests me for a minute, so I'm going to quantify how you're wrong.

In 2018, the United States produced 118,892,000 barrels of naphtha and other oils for petrochemical feedstock use...making plastics, among other things. That's six and a half billion gallons of oil, 32 and a half billion pounds.

You can get 200 pounds of crude CBD oil out of an acre of hemp.

You would need 163,476,500 acres to be planted with hemp to produce the same amount of petroleum.

That's almost the size of Texas, which has 167,188,294 acres of land area. And that's assuming hemp oil is chemically similar to petroleum, which is doubtful.

So, your "answer" to my question is insanely unrealistic. Dismissed.
Great math breakdown. I think some of these folks are going to need to see how many acres of solar panels would be needed to to charge all the cars and trucks if we stopped using fossil fuel. I think a lot of people would be shocked to see how many panels it would take just to fill up a single EV with 40 to 60 KWH over the useful sunlight portion of a day.
You are not so smart...are you? Figures....Devotees to the Liar in Chief would be using coal powered automobiles if they could.

Fossil Fuel is on the way out. It will follow the way of coal.
In other news...GM goes out of business by 2034.
Ford is even more dedicated to electric. The world is not going to revert to the 1950's even though the Liar in Chief tried to do that for four years.
i would not purchase an American vehicle. I would purchase an Asian designed and produced one.

We need to start building a bunch of nuclear power plants if fossil fuel is out by 2035.
Some zero emission vehicles by 2035 does not equate to "fossil fuel is out by 2035"

Zero emission vehicles can be gas powered, just sayin~
Link?
Ahh...I see I was not precise enough for the crowd...I was speaking of hybrids,of course. When in operation--using the electric motor--they are zero emissions--but, to be sure....they are not totally zero..nor is the impact of the manufacturing process taken into account.

The gist of the post remains...zero emission transportation does not spell the end of the Fossil fuel industry.

Harmful pollutants to the health and the environment include particulates (soot), hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, ozone, lead, and various oxides of nitrogen. Although not considered emission pollutants by the original California Air Resources Board (CARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) definitions, the most recent common use of the term also includes volatile organic compounds, several air toxics (most notably 1,3-Butadiene), and global pollutants such as carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.[3]

Zero emissions vehicles are referred to as carbon negative vehicles or that emit less pollutants than other vehicles can be referred to as carbon neutral or semi zero-emissions vehicles. Examples of semi zero-emissions vehicles include Natural Gas Vehicles since they are not so carbon positive, vehicles in the Euro 6 emission standards since they make use of catalytic converter and Exhaust gas recirculation systems and Hybrid electric vehicles since they can be driven in pure electric mode and in dual mode thereby reducing CO2 emissions by 50%.

Examples of zero emission vehicles with different power sources can include muscle-powered vehicles such as bicycles, electric bicycles, and gravity racers.

Motor vehicles
Also other battery electric vehicles, which may shift emissions to the location where the electricity is generated (if the electricity comes from coal or natural gas power plants—as opposed to hydro-electric, wind power, solar power or nuclear power plants);[4] and fuel cell vehicles powered by hydrogen, which may shift emissions to the location where the hydrogen is generated. It does not include hydrogen internal combustion engine vehicles because these do generate some emissions (although being near-emissionless). It also does not include vehicles running on 100% biofuel as these also emit exhaust gases, despite being carbon neutral overall.

Emissions from the manufacturing process are thus not included in this definition, and it has been argued that the emissions that are created during manufacture are currently of an order of magnitude that is comparable to the emissions that are created during a vehicle's operating lifetime.[5][6] Life cycle assessments of battery electric vehicles using lithium-ion batteries for instance can have CO2 emissions up to 150–200 kilos of carbon dioxide equivalents per kilowatt-hour battery[citation needed] (which is more than even the life cycle assessments of gasoline vehicles). However, these vehicles are in the early stages of their development; the manufacturing emissions may decrease by the development of technology, industry, shifting toward mass production and the ever-increasing use of renewable energy throughout the supply-chains.

We need to start building a bunch of nuclear power plants if fossil fuel is out by 2035.
Some zero emission vehicles by 2035 does not equate to "fossil fuel is out by 2035"

Zero emission vehicles can be gas powered, just sayin~
Link?
Ahh...I see I was not precise enough for the crowd...I was speaking of hybrids,of course. When in operation--using the electric motor--they are zero emissions--but, to be sure....they are not totally zero..nor is the impact of the manufacturing process taken into account.

The gist of the post remains...zero emission transportation does not spell the end of the Fossil fuel industry.

Harmful pollutants to the health and the environment include particulates (soot), hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, ozone, lead, and various oxides of nitrogen. Although not considered emission pollutants by the original California Air Resources Board (CARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) definitions, the most recent common use of the term also includes volatile organic compounds, several air toxics (most notably 1,3-Butadiene), and global pollutants such as carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.[3]

Zero emissions vehicles are referred to as carbon negative vehicles or that emit less pollutants than other vehicles can be referred to as carbon neutral or semi zero-emissions vehicles. Examples of semi zero-emissions vehicles include Natural Gas Vehicles since they are not so carbon positive, vehicles in the Euro 6 emission standards since they make use of catalytic converter and Exhaust gas recirculation systems and Hybrid electric vehicles since they can be driven in pure electric mode and in dual mode thereby reducing CO2 emissions by 50%.

Examples of zero emission vehicles with different power sources can include muscle-powered vehicles such as bicycles, electric bicycles, and gravity racers.

Motor vehicles
Also other battery electric vehicles, which may shift emissions to the location where the electricity is generated (if the electricity comes from coal or natural gas power plants—as opposed to hydro-electric, wind power, solar power or nuclear power plants);[4] and fuel cell vehicles powered by hydrogen, which may shift emissions to the location where the hydrogen is generated. It does not include hydrogen internal combustion engine vehicles because these do generate some emissions (although being near-emissionless). It also does not include vehicles running on 100% biofuel as these also emit exhaust gases, despite being carbon neutral overall.

Emissions from the manufacturing process are thus not included in this definition, and it has been argued that the emissions that are created during manufacture are currently of an order of magnitude that is comparable to the emissions that are created during a vehicle's operating lifetime.[5][6] Life cycle assessments of battery electric vehicles using lithium-ion batteries for instance can have CO2 emissions up to 150–200 kilos of carbon dioxide equivalents per kilowatt-hour battery[citation needed] (which is more than even the life cycle assessments of gasoline vehicles). However, these vehicles are in the early stages of their development; the manufacturing emissions may decrease by the development of technology, industry, shifting toward mass production and the ever-increasing use of renewable energy throughout the supply-chains.
Gas powered = not zero emissions. Semi zero-emissions is not zero emissions. Looks to me that you are trying to move the goal posts.

Hemp oil

But (LEFTIST TRIGGER WARNING: MATH), let's examine this. I know the effort is wasted on you, but this interests me for a minute, so I'm going to quantify how you're wrong.

In 2018, the United States produced 118,892,000 barrels of naphtha and other oils for petrochemical feedstock use...making plastics, among other things. That's six and a half billion gallons of oil, 32 and a half billion pounds.

You would need 163,476,500 acres to be planted with hemp to produce the same amount of petroleum.

That's almost the size of Texas, which has 167,188,294 acres of land area. And that's assuming hemp oil is chemically similar to petroleum, which is doubtful.

Great math breakdown. I think some of these folks are going to need to see how many acres of solar panels would be needed to to charge all the cars and trucks if we stopped using fossil fuel. I think a lot of people would be shocked to see how many panels it would take just to fill up a single EV with 40 to 60 KWH over the useful sunlight portion of a day.
The people advocating solar-recharged EVs are not swayed by math.

you seem to forget Merkal just shut off all their nukes....ya know 0 emissions
She is a good politician according to the election results but a very stupid woman who was warped by growing up under communism

The voters of Germany seem to disagree with you.
The "stupid woman" was awarded a doctorate for her thesis in quantum chemistry. Please share the topic of your thesis....we will wait.

By 2035?...yeah sure they will...the climate alarmist and their dependent greedy filthy corporations are always so willing to predict and pontificate about things 20 years from now....after most of us listening will be dead...and you suckers fall for it every time....
These village idiots don't realize our grid is a titter tatherd fucking mess. It will take yrs to upgrade it. How God damned dumb these people are.

Cool. Those construction workers who have been on that Keystone job can just start enlarging our electric grid. Win/Win!!
Yes, because electricity runs through pipelines.

Retard.

You think they don't need welders and operators and teamsters, an every other craft to build high line towers? They aren't designing the system. Engineers have already done that. Supervision will tell them what to do next. They just have to read a blueprint and build it.
"Learn to code."

Miners aren't pipeliners.
That's the standard leftist too-good-to-get-their-hands-dirty, contempt-for-the-working-man answer: "Learn to code."

Do you think it wold be more respectful to suggest some menial job that doesn't pay much?
You know what would be respectable? Not shutting down a project that's proven safer than every other means of transporting oil.

But no. Democrats don't give a shit about that.

You know what would be respectable? Appointing such a profligate polluter as climate czar.

Report: Kerry’s Private Jet Produced as Much Carbon as 36 Cars Last Year

According to flight logs obtained from aviation data firm FlightAware — which also has a flight tracking mobile app — Kerry’s family Gulfstream GIV-SP recorded about 22 hours and 22 minutes of flight time in 2020.

That’s equivalent to 166 metric tons of carbon — for flights between Feb. 9, 2020, and Jan. 10, 2021, as measured by Paramount Business Jets emissions calculator, Fox News said.

The typical passenger car produces about 4.6 metric tons of carbon, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, based on the assumption that it’s driven about 11,500 miles a year with a fuel economy of 22 miles per gallon.
So, Kerry's private jet, which operated only 22 and a third hours last year, produced as much CO2 as 36 average cars during the entire year.

And Kerry thinks YOU produce too much pollution and you should change how you live your life.

How hypocritical. And how typical that you agree with him.

By 2035?...yeah sure they will...the climate alarmist and their dependent greedy filthy corporations are always so willing to predict and pontificate about things 20 years from now....after most of us listening will be dead...and you suckers fall for it every time....
These village idiots don't realize our grid is a titter tatherd fucking mess. It will take yrs to upgrade it. How God damned dumb these people are.

Cool. Those construction workers who have been on that Keystone job can just start enlarging our electric grid. Win/Win!!

Retard.

You think they don't need welders and operators and teamsters, an every other craft to build high line towers? They aren't designing the system. Engineers have already done that. Supervision will tell them what to do next. They just have to read a blueprint and build it.
"Learn to code."

That's the standard leftist too-good-to-get-their-hands-dirty, contempt-for-the-working-man answer: "Learn to code."

Do you think it wold be more respectful to suggest some menial job that doesn't pay much?
You know what would be respectable? Not shutting down a project that's proven safer than every other means of transporting oil.

You know what would be respectable? Appointing such a profligate polluter as climate czar.

According to flight logs obtained from aviation data firm FlightAware — which also has a flight tracking mobile app — Kerry’s family Gulfstream GIV-SP recorded about 22 hours and 22 minutes of flight time in 2020.

That’s equivalent to 166 metric tons of carbon — for flights between Feb. 9, 2020, and Jan. 10, 2021, as measured by Paramount Business Jets emissions calculator, Fox News said.

The typical passenger car produces about 4.6 metric tons of carbon, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, based on the assumption that it’s driven about 11,500 miles a year with a fuel economy of 22 miles per gallon.
So, Kerry's private jet, which operated only 22 and a third hours last year, produced as much CO2 as 36 average cars during the entire year.

And Kerry thinks YOU produce too much pollution and you should change how you live your life.

I really believe his sincerity on GL with 10 mansions or being Mr. Ketchup. Maybe if he rode a donkey it might give him a lil cred. If he and Gore would shut their mouths for a month, the planet would cool to Ice Age standards.

Retard.

"Learn to code."

"Elections have consequences"

deal with it...Your King in Florida is turning the GOP into a cult that promotes lies and conspiracy theories. He has successfully lost the White House and the Senate. Keep humping his leg and he will turn the GOP into the the party that was.....

Hemp oil

Great answer

And Bart, aka moonglow, goes “duh”

plus all the windmills we would need to make the electricity to run the electric tractors with their 2 hour battery life that cost several times more than a diesel tractor that can work all day
Leftists believe science changes to suit their ideology.

Leftists are morons.

All these plans for this and no one mentioned what they are going to do about the YUGE lack of electric vehicle infrastructure.
They plan on building it.
They better start. Closest EV charging port to me is an hour away. And the closest one to that is about an hour and a half away.
It's worse than just the limited number of charging stations. The ones that DO exist may be capable of charging at 90 to 120 amps, but since they so often get installed with government grants, they are typically have very limited service from the breaker. This means you can hang out waiting for a charge that could be charging 3 or 4 times faster. When the government builds infrastructure for EVs, it is like having the government help small businesses with free floppy disk drives. The government is building an obsolete charging infrastructure, so it will have to be built again the right way in the coming years. The government won't even realize that we need the new infrastructure for many years.
You will be amazed at what can happen when energy companies see profit in it. Instead of drilling multi-million dollar holes in the ground, they will be running lines to charging stations all around the country.
What will be the source of the electricity?
Wind and solar...thanks for playin...
Goid Grief! You really are as Stupid as every one says. You make electricity with wind and solar. You makes e everything else with the electricity. Use your Brain. Don't be an Idiot for the Liar in Chief.
Dear Diary:

Today, someone said you can make plastic with only electricity.

No, really, he actually said that. And what's worse -- he believes it. And even worse than that -- he believes he's intellectually superior.

:auiqs.jpg:

you seem to forget Merkal just shut off all their nukes....ya know 0 emissions
She is a good politician according to the election results but a very stupid woman who was warped by growing up under communism

The voters of Germany seem to disagree with you.
The "stupid woman" was awarded a doctorate for her thesis in quantum chemistry. Please share the topic of your thesis....we will wait.
I don't see her as a stupid woman. Perhaps you accidentally responded to me instead of the poster i was responding to.

Retard.

"Learn to code."

"Elections have consequences"

deal with it...Your King in Florida is turning the GOP into a cult that promotes lies and conspiracy theories. He has successfully lost the White House and the Senate. Keep humping his leg and he will turn the GOP into the the party that was.....
I don't have a king. Stop projecting your emotionalism.

Meanwhile, you keep kissing Kerry's ass. He's laughing at you while he's flying around in his private jet.

Retard.

"Learn to code."

Transporting the oil through lines that don't cross environmentally sensitive areas seems to be the best, safest idea yet.

Retard.

"Learn to code."

Transporting the oil through lines that don't cross environmentally sensitive areas seems to be the best, safest idea yet.
"Environmentally sensitive". The pipeline passed through no area that was more environmentally sensitive than any other area.

So, no comment on Kerry's CO2 production? Is he entitled to it, perhaps?

Forum List

Back