Here’s What The Unemployment Rate Looks Like If You Add Back Labor Force Dropouts

Thankfully the majority of the people aren't falling for the crap being put out under this deceitful administration anymore. It's more ugly than you think.

SNIP:

March 6, 2015 By Sean Davis
The Department of Labor announced today that the official unemployment rate fell to 5.5 percent last month, the lowest it’s been since Spring of 2008. Good news, right? Well, kind of. The official unemployment rate masks a problem that’s been plaguing the economy since shortly before the 2009 recession: a continuing decline in the labor force participation rate, which basically measures the percentage of the able-bodied population that’s either working or looking for work. After holding steady at roughly 66 percent from 2004 through late 2008, the labor force participation has been falling, and falling, and falling some more, with no end in sight.

This decline has significant effects on the official unemployment rate. People who are unemployed and eventually stop looking for work are no longer counted as being part of the labor force, which means they’re no longer counted by U.S. statistical agencies as being unemployed (you can read in detail about the math underlying this dynamic here). The result? An artificially low official unemployment rate.

So what does the unemployment rate picture look like if you take into account all of the labor force droputs since the end of the recession in June of 2009? Not pretty

ALL of it here:

This Chart Shows How Labor Force Dropouts Mask The Unemployment Rate
U-6 for the recently ended measuring period is 11%....The labor participation rate is at an all time low. 62.8%

You wont convince liberals. Even while they cry like little bitches about the lack of jobs and wage stagnation.
All the while their pres lets in millions of illegals that compete for those very jobs.
The one aspect of labor I cannot fathom is that unions support allowing illegals to remain in the US......The illegals TAKE these people's jobs and don't join unions.
A bunch of illegals can toss out a union shop pretty darned quick.

Thankfully the majority of the people aren't falling for the crap being put out under this deceitful administration anymore. It's more ugly than you think.

SNIP:

The Department of Labor announced today that the official unemployment rate fell to 5.5 percent last month, the lowest it’s been since Spring of 2008. Good news, right? Well, kind of. The official unemployment rate masks a problem that’s been plaguing the economy since shortly before the 2009 recession: a continuing decline in the labor force participation rate, which basically measures the percentage of the able-bodied population that’s either working or looking for work. After holding steady at roughly 66 percent from 2004 through late 2008, the labor force participation has been falling, and falling, and falling some more, with no end in sight.

This decline has significant effects on the official unemployment rate. People who are unemployed and eventually stop looking for work are no longer counted as being part of the labor force, which means they’re no longer counted by U.S. statistical agencies as being unemployed (you can read in detail about the math underlying this dynamic here). The result? An artificially low official unemployment rate.

So what does the unemployment rate picture look like if you take into account all of the labor force droputs since the end of the recession in June of 2009? Not pretty

ALL of it here:

Never mind the fact that Republican politicians nationwide have always used the "official" unemployment numbers to crow about how low unemployment is when they're in office...but...

If someone isn't looking for a job, that's called retired, or if they need one, and aren't looking, that's called lazy...and those people shouldn't be counted as unemployed.

Only people looking for work, or working, should figure into those numbers. That's why they don't count children, retired people, and lazy people.
Stop whining.....That doesn't change the facts.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

Never mind the fact that Republican politicians nationwide have always used the "official" unemployment numbers to crow about how low unemployment is when they're in office...but...

If someone isn't looking for a job, that's called retired, or if they need one, and aren't looking, that's called lazy...and those people shouldn't be counted as unemployed.

Only people looking for work, or working, should figure into those numbers. That's why they don't count children, retired people, and lazy people.

Nope they don't count 1/4 ton steph as she gets ssi an food stamps at her trailer, she is 60 and sits on her ass all day whining, same as when a republican was president

Well then shut the fuck up. I dont want to hear liberals crying about the job situation when obama caused the problem in the first place.
Obama caused the recession that started before he became President?

Funny,I dont remember all you liberals crying 24-7 when booooooosh was in office.
Me personally I hope all you liberals end up under a bridge and begging on street corners. It's what you deserve.
According to welfare and food stamp rates, it's more likely for that to happen to people in states run by republicans.

Dont care. Those are the liberals and they need to be thinned out.
Starve asshole.
Thanks for the right's version of any moral of "goodwill toward men". :p

The labor participation rate is at an all time low. 62.8%
Wrong.

Link?

l

You should have asked the poster I was responding to for a link. He's the one who made a claim with no proof. Here you go though, direct from the BLS.

latest_numbers_LNS11300000_1948_2015_all_period_M02_data.gif

Isn't our lives just grand under this Obama regime and his party of progressive/dems

SNIP:
62.8%: Labor Force Participation Has Hovered Near 37-Year-Low for 11 Months
March 6, 2015 - 11:01 AM
By Ali Meyer

(CNSNews.com) - The labor force participation rate hovered between 62.9 percent and 62.7 percent in the eleven months from April 2014 through February, and has been 62.9 percent or lower in 13 of the 17 months since October 2013.

Prior to that, the last time the rate was below 63 percent was 37 years ago, in March 1978 when it was 62.8 percent, the same rate it was in February.

"The civilian labor force participation rate, at 62.8 percent, changed little in February and has remained within the narrow range of 62.7 to 62.9 percent since April 2014," the BLS said in its release on the February employment data.

92,898,000 Americans were not in the labor force in February, according to data released from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on Friday.

The labor force participation rate is the percentage of the civilian noninstitutional population who participated in the labor force by either having a job during the month or actively seeking one.

The labor participation rate is at an all time low. 62.8%
Wrong.

Link?

l

You should have asked the poster I was responding to for a link. He's the one who made a claim with no proof. Here you go though, direct from the BLS.

View attachment 37645

While it's not an all time low it is the lowest since women entered the work force in large numbers.

Well then shut the fuck up. I dont want to hear liberals crying about the job situation when obama caused the problem in the first place.

Funny,I dont remember all you liberals crying 24-7 when booooooosh was in office.
Me personally I hope all you liberals end up under a bridge and begging on street corners. It's what you deserve.
According to welfare and food stamp rates, it's more likely for that to happen to people in states run by republicans.

Starve asshole.

If you consider yourself to be Pro-Life than it is painfully clear that is nothing but lip-service. I don't base my compassion for my fellow citizens on politics.

Starve asshole.

If you consider yourself to be Pro-Life than it is painfully clear that is nothing but lip-service. I don't base my compassion for my fellow citizens on politics.

I dont mind abortion as long as it's done early,preferably with the morning after pill.
Late term abortion is murder.
I base my politics on saving America from a bunch of lazy good for nothing moochers who want government to confiscate money from hard working Americans.

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

Here's the problem with that graph.....why June 2009? The Participation Rate has been dropping since 2000.

To show the silliness of that chart, here is what the current UE rate would be if you used the participation rate from each year in the X-axis:

fredgraph.png

Note that if we used the participation rate from early 1955, the current UE rate would be -1.6% Yes, that is NEGATIVE 1.6.

Using a past participation rate is useless.

Isn't our lives just grand under this Obama regime and his party of progressive/dems

SNIP:
62.8%: Labor Force Participation Has Hovered Near 37-Year-Low for 11 Months
March 6, 2015 - 11:01 AM
By Ali Meyer

(CNSNews.com) - The labor force participation rate hovered between 62.9 percent and 62.7 percent in the eleven months from April 2014 through February, and has been 62.9 percent or lower in 13 of the 17 months since October 2013.

Prior to that, the last time the rate was below 63 percent was 37 years ago, in March 1978 when it was 62.8 percent, the same rate it was in February.

"The civilian labor force participation rate, at 62.8 percent, changed little in February and has remained within the narrow range of 62.7 to 62.9 percent since April 2014," the BLS said in its release on the February employment data.

92,898,000 Americans were not in the labor force in February, according to data released from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) on Friday.

The labor force participation rate is the percentage of the civilian noninstitutional population who participated in the labor force by either having a job during the month or actively seeking one.

Why would you expect labor force participation rates to remain at 1998 levels?

They have been dropping for 17 years because of the 4 million baby boomers who dropped out of the workforce when they retired

This should've been titled: Here's what unemployment rates would look like if you fudged the numbers

SNIP:

ALL of it here:

If those lazy people can get a check funded through taxes paid by those of us that aren't lazy and willing to work, they count. When those of us that are forced to support them because they don't want to work no longer have to do so, they will no longer count. I don't care if someone doesn't want to work as long as the fruits of my labor aren't forcibly taken to feed them.

If those lazy people can get a check funded through taxes paid by those of us that aren't lazy and willing to work, they count. When those of us that are forced to support them because they don't want to work no longer have to do so, they will no longer count. I don't care if someone doesn't want to work as long as the fruits of my labor aren't forcibly taken to feed them.
Well, that's the thing...Many are portraying those Not in the Labor Force as leeches and "takers" etc, but the fact is that the bigest groups are retrirees and the disabled. Students (age 16 and older) are another large group, and while stay home spouses are assuradly a significant group, those are harder to measure. The latest real data is that in March 2013 there were about 25 million married women who lived with their spouse and were Not in the Labor Force. 10 million had children under 18.

So we really can't tell how all the people not in the labor force are being supported or by whom.

Forum List

Back