Honest Liberal says it's time to take PC seriously

you're perfectly FREE to be a jackass, Mac! God bless America...

Political correctness - RationalWiki

"Short of walking into a conversation, sandblasting the brick and installing track lighting, there is no surer way to announce one is from the 1980s than to mount an assault on 'political correctness,' the contemporary phrase for which is "not being a jackass." :eusa_clap:

The cliché term political correctness or "PC" is a snarl word usually referring to upholding a social taboo against language and attitudes that might be considered offensive and/or stupid.[1] This loaded term has become a boogey-man for the right-wing, who use it to tar anything that runs contrary to their own policies, such as letting women out of the kitchen or gays out of the closet.

Ruth Perry wrote in an essay entitled A Short History of the Term "Politically Correct"[2] that the term was first coined by Mao Zedong,[3] but was later hijacked by conservative eclectics who proceeded to overuse it in exactly the manner above described, hence taking all the juice out of it.[4] (Defending oneself with it might be the most popular handwave to dismiss social criticism.) More recently, advocates of political correctness have therefore substituted the term "civilized speech" for "politically correct" in order to boost its image in light of the PC backlash.

In full irony, conservatives have also adopted political correctness widely; trying to justify censorship on the grounds that something is "offensive to Christians," for example, or Conservapedia's insistence on BC/AD to the total exclusion of BCE/CE.

In fact, it's probably helpful to remember that in common parlance anything a conservative would consider to be polite speech isn't PC, whereas anything a liberal would consider to be polite speech is. This is why banning the "f-word" from broadcast is neutral and not PC at all, whereas banning a racial epithet from broadcast is.[5]

As above, passive-aggressive people who defend racism or reactionary views and but don't want to be labeled that way attack dissenters as "politically correct."[6]
I find it pathetic that you would post something like this that makes it quite clear that it is written from a left leaning author. A true "un biased" author would not use the term "boogey man" when referring to how an ideology views the term nor "irony" when referring to how the same ideology views it.

But it would take a level headed individual to pick up on that.

And yes, I'll once again predict spin, deflection, denials and distortion from the PC Police here. Even though I predict it, you folks literally can't help yourselves.
And I called it, again.

Damn I'm good.

I really do amaze me with my fabulousness.

:spinner:

keep telling yourself that, malstrodamus.. predicting people will respond to a thread is not really that impressive :itsok:

Notice he hasn't chimed in on the Starbuck's red coffee cup and the meltdown that cause among the rwnj PC police?

i hadn't noticed but i saw the thread and wondered what that was all about...

why are the rwnj so upset? does it have anything to do with red solo cup envy? :dunno:

And yes, I'll once again predict spin, deflection, denials and distortion from the PC Police here. Even though I predict it, you folks literally can't help yourselves.
And I called it, again.

Damn I'm good.

you predicted that people would disagree with you. how incredible.
Great response. So in your ideological world, spin, deflection, denials and distortion are equated with "disagreeing".

I rest my case.

Damn, this place is easy.

Notice he hasn't chimed in on the Starbuck's red coffee cup and the meltdown that cause among the rwnj PC police?

i hadn't noticed but i saw the thread and wondered what that was all about...

why are the rwnj so upset? does it have anything to do with red solo cup envy? :dunno:
They're frothing at the mouth because the cup is plain red without the a reindeer on it.

And I called it, again.

Damn I'm good.

ur right leftard; every body knows the Left will come with the same tired excuses every time. he didnt do anything special

And I called it, again.

Damn I'm good.

Great response. So in your ideological world, spin, deflection, denials and distortion are equated with "disagreeing".

I rest my case.

Damn, this place is easy.
no, in your world disagreement equals spin, deflection, denial, and distortion.

see how easy that is?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

we want to tell people what to think, what they can and cant say

but the mean ol right-wingers wont let me without calling us on it!!

make them shut up mommy!!!

And I called it, again.

Damn I'm good.

ur right leftard; every body knows the Left will come with the same tired excuses every time. he didnt do anything special
everyone knows the idiots railing about pc are just ignorant of what it means.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

we want to tell people what to think, what they can and cant say

but the mean ol right-wingers wont let me without calling us on it!!

make them shut up mommy!!!
good god you're dumb.

i really wish idiots that write about or talk about "pc" understood it first.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!1

people dont understand us!! we need to tell them what to say and what not to say or think for their own good!!

And I called it, again.

Damn I'm good.

everyone knows the idiots railing about pc are just ignorant of what it means.

everyone knows weak-minded left-wing goosesteppers just wanna do what they wanna do

Forum List

Back